Thoughts on MOE

Chat about everything Anime here

Thoughts on MOE

Postby SantaBla on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 am

This decade has been completely been dominated by the moe genre. Shows like Haruhi, Lucky Star and K-ON have been hits among both male and female fans, but when I look back at the 70s, 80s and 90s, that wasn't the case at all.

Since we're reaching a new decade in a few months, what kind of anime genres you want, to be pushed more forward? And what's your attitude towards moe? Because it bothers me to some extent.
SantaBla

Re: Thoughts on MOE

Postby Toadsanime on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:57 pm

Stuff like this doesn't bother me actually, and what I've seen of Haruhi so far is actually pretty good. Though I wouldn't want to see an overly-excessive amount of them, I can't say I mind how things are too much at the moment.
Toadsanime

Postby sunny1r on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:20 pm

K-On, MOHS, Luckystar are all animated by the same company, so i expect that's where the moeness starts and ends. Moe isn't much of a problem, and i rarely hear it being used. the next decade will probably not have as much moe and will try to cater for their newer wider audience, i think animators know how far anime is getting across the world and are trying to incorporate a more universal approach, basically better plots, action and colouring in.

I expect shows like the ones mentioned above to carry on, as it is proving largely popular.
sunny1r

Postby neko_riddles on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:53 am

I dont mind it, but it just seems that alot of anime are looking the same nowadays. I love the old 80's 90's style, such as Macross. Im a sucker for the art of Haruhiko Mikimoto
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neko_riddles

Postby TrainXIII on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Love it or hate it; we're in the era of MOE!
TrainXIII

Postby Farn2761 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:53 pm

always comes back to the money where anime is concerned...only a small percentage of the japanese population actually watch anime, a large proportion of the ones who do make up the 'otaku' sub-culture, (these are the kinds of guys and gals who frequent maid cafes) moe is aimed smack bang at the middle of their wallets- why? because thats what they'll spend money on, not just horrifically over-priced dvds but merchandise too. Why spoil a winning formula when to even make a anime series costs more than you'll get back from just the TV viewing figures?

look how many series of Gundam that have been made (realise it is not moe anime-just an example), why? because they can sell toys, hundreds and hundreds of toys, to adults, kids too, but the kids grows up and they keep buying the toys. Nothing wrong with that, but the increase in quantity in relation to anime since 2000 has made it difficult for what we might think of as 'serious' anime to take off and get funding. too much competition with cheap panty shot/kawaii/loi esque 'moe' shows which, often being based on games, have a ready made market panting for the next release. Releasing a non 'moe' show is a risk. Of coure I'm over genrerlaising horribly - non moe shows are all over the place. But just think of, say, the latest season's relases - Fight Ippatsu?! Juden Chan, Kanamemo, Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou. And this is a short season. Then think of the over shows; how many don't contain some light 'moe' parody (hayate) or a moe character in there?

Moe sells, even in parody. rant over (I actually quite enjoy some 'moe' anime, but just love Bebop and Gits a whole lot more)
left for a few weeks and have returned to find changes ...
Farn2761

Postby Adziu on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:49 pm

SantaBla wrote:This decade has been completely been dominated by the moe genre. Shows like Haruhi, Lucky Star and K-ON have been hits among both male and female fans, but when I look back at the 70s, 80s and 90s, that wasn't the case at all.

Since we're reaching a new decade in a few months, what kind of anime genres you want, to be pushed more forward? And what's your attitude towards moe? Because it bothers me to some extent.

Moé may be a new term, but the concepts behind it go way back. Clarissa in Cagliostro, Sailor Moon, Chacha, way back to Cutey Honey - they all lay the groundwork for the current Moé machine.

Remember also that you are watching anime through a filter. Sure, following the trends of /a/, the Animesuki forums or your local anime club may show you a glut of moé shows, but if you're a 12-year-old Japanese schoolboy whose anime experience derives almost entirely from Jump and Sunday, you likely circumvent most of the late-night moé shows.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby dicks on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Moes nice. I like to watch moe programs occasionally, but too much at once is an overload
dicks

Postby Kuros on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:06 pm

I personally love MOE and everything about it.... but thats just me...

*Had to say this today, because its the unofficial MOE day :D*
Kuros

Postby Nessie-chan on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:11 pm

I still dont get the term, what exactly is MOE? It doesnt just mean cute, does it, its something else. But what?
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby Adziu on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:58 pm

It's complicated. It's more like 'lovely' than 'cute', although obviously there's crossover. Moé charcteristics tend to be the ones that make a person feel affectionate and protective. There's a definite link with sexual feelings, and otaku on Japanorama were seen happily applying the term to a pillow in the shape of a pair of breasts without any character attached to them.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby NekoShuffleJump! on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:50 am

Moe is a feeling more than anything, it's the noise you make when you see something you find really cute/lovely/warm feeling (That you get in your stomach). You say 萌えええええ (Moeeee) as an exertion ^^

The opposite is 萎えええ (Naeee..) which is the exertion you make when you see something you really don't find cute/lovely

There's no set term because it can't be directly translated and everyone has their own opinion of what's moe, even mecha and plant (factory) moe ^^; but I don't really understand the feeling of those two..
HELP XD
NekoShuffleJump!

Postby alicedragon on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Putin is both gar and moe :3

I don't mind moe in small lumps but stuff like K-ON I tend to avoid because it's just moe fanservice.
alicedragon

Postby Saikouze on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:00 pm

When it comes to anime, I'm the 'slice-of-life' fanboi, so those sort of animes are my fav, they just 'happen' to have moe..............dot.....

The only thing is that they all always dwell on High School life. It would be nice to see more like "Genshiken" which takes place in Uni, or 'Welcome to the N.H.K" which talks about life starting as a serious adult.
Saikouze

Postby Rach on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Moe's nice in small doses, but stuff like Clannad is just sickly sweet. *shudders* Haruhi's awesome though :D
Rach

Return to ANIME