Panty and Stocking (With Garterbelt)

Chat about everything Anime here

Panty and Stocking (With Garterbelt)

Postby PandoraCaitiff on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:31 am

Is anyone else watching Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panty_%26_ ... Garterbelt

Its Gainax's latest deconstruction, and this time its doing the "two girls fight monsters" thing. Its crude, its silly, and has art like Samurai Jack and Powerpuff Girls.

I can't work out if it is an awful pile of drek, or the mnost amazing thing ever. :lol:
Pugna vox
PandoraCaitiff

Re: Panty and Stocking (With Garterbelt)

Postby alicedragon on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:04 pm

It's definitely a pile of steaming ..

Ika Musume > Panty and Stocking
alicedragon

Postby Moondoggie on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:50 pm

PandoraCaitiff wrote:Is anyone else watching Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panty_%26_ ... Garterbelt

Its Gainax's latest deconstruction, and this time its doing the "two girls fight monsters" thing. Its crude, its silly, and has art like Samurai Jack and Powerpuff Girls.

I can't work out if it is an awful pile of drek, or the mnost amazing thing ever. :lol:

That pretty much describes everything Gainax do you either love it or you hate it. They have never been a studio that plays it safe or does what sells to the teenyboppers. If it wasn't weird it wouldn't be Gainax XD
Moondoggie

Postby PandoraCaitiff on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Having now watched five episodes (or ten if you count the individual segments of each episode), I'm siding with awesome. I love the art style and the intro titles. And the crude humour is always entertaining.

I've even been persuaded to cosplay as one of the characters at a future expo :lol: (Not Panty I'm afraid. I don't have the figure!)
Pugna vox
PandoraCaitiff

Postby Moondoggie on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:09 am

PandoraCaitiff wrote:Having now watched five episodes (or ten if you count the individual segments of each episode), I'm siding with awesome. I love the art style and the intro titles. And the crude humour is always entertaining.

I've even been persuaded to cosplay as one of the characters at a future expo :lol: (Not Panty I'm afraid. I don't have the figure!)

I've seen plenty of people cosplaying as characters they don't have the figure for and they still get away with it XD
Moondoggie

Postby PandoraCaitiff on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:25 am

Moondoggie wrote:I've seen plenty of people cosplaying as characters they don't have the figure for and they still get away with it XD

Ha ha! True! :lol:

Let me rephrase then: I don't have the body confidence (or the self delusion) to wear a tiny red strappy mini-dress at Expo :D

Also, I just watched episode 6. Wow. Panty and Stocking can be surprisingly competent when properly motivated!
Pugna vox
PandoraCaitiff

Postby Adziu on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 pm

I tend to love Gainax but P&S doesn't do it for me. It just always seems to be trying too hard.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby PandoraCaitiff on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:29 pm

Adziu wrote:I tend to love Gainax but P&S doesn't do it for me. It just always seems to be trying too hard.

Obviously personal preference plays a big part, but for me P&S didn't bash me over the head with their "trying to shock/offend" nearly as much as, for example, Family Guy.
Pugna vox
PandoraCaitiff

Postby Adziu on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Well, I don't like Family Guy either.

I think Dead Leaves did everything P&S is trying to do better. Obviously, it's designed/directed by the same person.

Moondoggie wrote:That pretty much describes everything Gainax do you either love it or you hate it. They have never been a studio that plays it safe or does what sells to the teenyboppers. If it wasn't weird it wouldn't be Gainax XD

Gainax went through a period of making terrible, obvious, derivative nonsense a few years back. Remember He Is My Master or KonoMini?
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby PandoraCaitiff on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:54 am

Adziu wrote:Well, I don't like Family Guy either.

I think Dead Leaves did everything P&S is trying to do better. Obviously, it's designed/directed by the same person.

*shrug* The art style on Dead Leaves makes me puke blood. P&S's style is more relevant to my tastes. And it must be doing something right as I'm still watching. I've given up on lots of series before because they didn't click with me.

But like I said, I think its a difference in tastes rather than something objective :D
Pugna vox
PandoraCaitiff

Postby Adziu on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20 am

Absolutely, you like what y'like! ^^
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Chicken Holocaust on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:26 am

just seems like a bit of "DOHOHO REBUILD MOVIES MANY SUCCESS, WE HAVE MONEY TO PLAY WITH" to me.

i watched the first ep, felt like i was watching R rated powerpuff girls.
Chicken Holocaust

Postby PandoraCaitiff on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 am

Chicken Holocaust wrote:just seems like a bit of "DOHOHO REBUILD MOVIES MANY SUCCESS, WE HAVE MONEY TO PLAY WITH" to me.

i watched the first ep, felt like i was watching R rated powerpuff girls.

The story goes that the Gainax crew went on a holiday after finishing TTGL, got drunk one night and had a big talk about all the ideas they've had that they hadn't been able to use. Most of those made it into the show :D

And yes, a R-rated PPG is pretty much what it is. Remember that PPG is only nominally a kids show and is packed with references to stuff kids wouldn't understand, and has some pretty nasty violence (blood, teeth flying etc). Replace the violence with smut and you have P+S(WG)
Pugna vox
PandoraCaitiff

Postby livianimegirl on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:27 pm

What's with all the P&SWG hate?

Anyway, Panty and Stocking is awesome!
I need to watch some more of it though, I've only seen a few episodes. I can't remember how many.
Sat/Sun - Mituna
livianimegirl

Return to ANIME