Studio Ghibli

Chat about everything Anime here

Re: Studio Ghibli

Postby picklesofdoom on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:06 am

*ehem*

Howls Moving CAstle is my favouritest ghibi film. I LUFFLES IT!! Though I also love the book which may help my love for this film (Calcifer YAY!! =^__^= and smexy voice over by Christian Bale *nomnomnomnomnom* may also have helped matters) It is also one I can watch over and over again. Every time i watch this film there always something new to notice. Princess Mononoke is a very very close second. I adore that one too. Spirited Away was ok, I like it but the girl's voice gets on my nerves to the point its unbarable to watch...ITS SOOOOO SQUEEEEKY! Have to watch it with subs.
picklesofdoom

Location: somewhere admiring the deep dark depths of my random mind

Postby surreal on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Grave of the Fireflies is probably my favorite Studio Ghibli movie, it's sad, but it's powerful and has beautiful art (as per usual!).

I like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and the Cat Returns as well, they were all enjoyable and had prettyful art.

However, I'm dying to get my hands on Howl's Moving Caslte... :cry:
surreal

Postby Freyarule on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:01 pm

I am an epic Studio Ghibli fan!!!! I have seen more or less every film they've done available in England!!!

I'd love to see Ocean Waves too ;_;

My fave film is definately Porco Rosso, the music is beautiful, and I just gotta <3 that pig! The only problem is it ends too soon :( we wanna know what happens!!!!!! >_<
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
Freyarule

Postby Adziu on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:02 am

Freyarule wrote:I am an epic Studio Ghibli fan!!!! I have seen more or less every film they've done available in England!!!

I'd love to see Ocean Waves too ;_;

My fave film is definately Porco Rosso, the music is beautiful, and I just gotta <3 that pig! The only problem is it ends too soon :( we wanna know what happens!!!!!! >_<

Ocean Waves is one of their weakest - but I'd still recommend checking it out. Perhaps borrow or rent, though.

I've continued my pre-Ghibli kick...Gauche the Cellist is utter brilliance. Jarinko Chie also well worth seeing. Early kiddy Toei films that Miyazaki worked on like Puss in Boots and Animal Treasure Island are childish but quite lovely.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby taikoanimegirl on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:17 pm

I love Studio Ghibli films. My faves are Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart, Howl's moving castle, Princess Mononoke and Tales of Earthseas. Princess Mononoke is my top fave, then Spirited away came close second.
taikoanimegirl

Re:

Postby Toadsanime on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Anbu_Kabuto wrote:Studio Ghibli are good, but they arent the best, i agree. I just really love the stories behind them.
Like, i saw steamboy, which has great animation, but i really didnt like the story.
I guess its each to their own tastes.

It may be a little belated for me to point this out, but what has Steamboy got to do with Studio Ghibli? The two are in no way connected, so please don't judge Ghibli's productions upon a completely different film.

Anyway, I always find it difficult to judge what my favourite Studio Ghibli film may be. I've seen all but one, and Howl's Moving Castle definitely seems to stand prominent above the rest that I've currently seen.
All my other favourite Ghibli films were directed by Hayao Miyazaki, too, with the distinct exception of 'The Cat Returns'.
Toadsanime

Re: Re:

Postby Adziu on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:49 pm

Toadsanime wrote:
Anbu_Kabuto wrote:Studio Ghibli are good, but they arent the best, i agree. I just really love the stories behind them.
Like, i saw steamboy, which has great animation, but i really didnt like the story.
I guess its each to their own tastes.

It may be a little belated for me to point this out, but what has Steamboy got to do with Studio Ghibli? The two are in no way connected, so please don't judge Ghibli's productions upon a completely different film.

Anyway, I always find it difficult to judge what my favourite Studio Ghibli film may be. I've seen all but one, and Howl's Moving Castle definitely seems to stand prominent above the rest that I've currently seen.
All my other favourite Ghibli films were directed by Hayao Miyazaki, too, with the distinct exception of 'The Cat Returns'.

I was disappointed by Hauru. Not in the same league as Sen to Chihiro or Mononoke-hime. The Cat Returns isn't a favourite either, though it was entertaining fare.

Personally I tend to like Takahata more in general, though I love Miyazaki too. Yoshifumi Kondo also made one of Ghibli's very best.

Also, you're correct in that Steamboy was not a Ghibli film.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby x-Dark Dream on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:32 pm

I've only seen My Neighbor Totoro, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away and some of Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind.

My favourite is Totoro, but thats probably because it's been one of my childhood films.
x-Dark Dream

Postby Shadowhunter72 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:05 pm

i've watched quite a few of them, when they were shown on Film4. The ones i remember watching are:
Princess Monoke
My Neighbor Totoro
Laputa, Castle in the sky
Pom Poko
Porco Rosso
Kiki's Delivery Service
Lupin III(I think)

All of them are really good(Although i wasn't too fond of Kiki's delivery service for some reason ^^;). I havent mentioned Spirited away because we have that on DVD, meaning that was the first i'd seen, really liked it to be honest ^^
Shadowhunter72

Postby Floof on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Adziu wrote:Still to see
Chie the Brat
Gauche the Cellist
Puss in Boots
Ali Baba's Revenge
Animal Treasure Island

THAT'S THE ONE! I was wracking my brains out earlier today, trying to remember that name!

My favourite is Howls, then Spirited Away, then Pom Poko.
Pom Poko was so funny, and the english dub was pretty good.

picklesofdoom wrote:*ehem*

Howls Moving CAstle is my favouritest ghibi film. I LUFFLES IT!! Though I also love the book which may help my love for this film (Calcifer YAY!! =^__^= and smexy voice over by Christian Bale *nomnomnomnomnom* may also have helped matters) It is also one I can watch over and over again. Every time i watch this film there always something new to notice.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Howls is one of the only movies i've watched more than once. And that's saying something.
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Adziu on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Floof wrote:
Adziu wrote:Still to see
Chie the Brat
Gauche the Cellist
Puss in Boots
Ali Baba's Revenge
Animal Treasure Island

THAT'S THE ONE! I was wracking my brains out earlier today, trying to remember that name!

My favourite is Howls, then Spirited Away, then Pom Poko.
Pom Poko was so funny, and the english dub was pretty good.

What, Puss in Boots? It's a film worth seeing.

I've now seen all the ones I've listed except for Ali Baba's Revenge, which is very hard to track down.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby KawaiiSakura on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:53 am

I've only ever seen Spirited Away...so yeah :|
KawaiiSakura

Postby llayboy on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:06 pm

I like the look of the new Ghibli movie Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea it looks really cute and has a simular style to Totoro. Can't wait to see it
llayboy

Postby Adziu on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Ponyo is adorable. Not up there with Totoro but still great stuff.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Toadsanime on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

llayboy wrote:I like the look of the new Ghibli movie Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea it looks really cute and has a simular style to Totoro. Can't wait to see it

Yeah, I cannot wait until Ponyo is released here in the UK. However, I'm sure it'll only obtain a limited cinema-release, just as Tales From Earthsea did. I doubt they'll be any cinemas near-by that show the movie, I suppose I'll just resort to buying it on DVD when it's released.
Toadsanime

Postby Freyarule on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:26 am

Ah, yesterday my brother was flicking through channels and when he got to Film4, Porco Rosso was on.

I practically "SQUEE"d! And is it sad that I knew exactly where we were in the movie from the moment I saw it? :?
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
Freyarule

Postby CrystalNeko on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Ponyo looks really cuteee ;-;!!! I wanna watch it haha!
I still haven't seen Tales on Earthsea yet, it wasn't showing anywhere near here and whenever I see it it's pretty expensive for a DVD! That was when it was first released on DVD format though, I should probably go out sometime and buy it .__. *too lazeh to buy online and doesn't want to watch it online*

Haha, I'm like that with a few Ghibli movies, Freya, so no worries! xD It's like with Howl, I've seen that movie waaay too many times >_>;
CrystalNeko

Postby Farn2761 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Porrco Rosso for the win!

But have got to say that, in my biased opinion, princess mononoke leaves pretty much any other anime film (ghibli or otherwise) standing.

(lies! maybe not, wrote that then started watching nausicca again, followed by Totoro, purely for research you understand, only to find indecision seeping in-they're all such classic films in their own right. so Mononoke Hime probably, very probably.)
left for a few weeks and have returned to find changes ...
Farn2761

Postby SmoothVenom on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:47 am

I'd probably have to choose Nausicaa if that counts, if not Howl's Moving Castle is up there as a favourite as well.
SmoothVenom

Postby Rach on Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Studio Ghibli is so crazy...^.^
My fave is My Neighbour Totoro. I saw the Chinese dub in my Mandarin class and it was so cute...I have to see it again...
The Cat Returns is just wrong. -.-
Rach

Postby Toadsanime on Thu May 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Rach wrote:Studio Ghibli is so crazy...^.^
My fave is My Neighbour Totoro. I saw the Chinese dub in my Mandarin class and it was so cute...I have to see it again...
The Cat Returns is just wrong. -.-

In what sense? I actually quite liked that film, actually. It's my probably my favourite non-Miyazaki directed Ghibli film.
Toadsanime

Postby Adziu on Fri May 08, 2009 1:20 am

I'm guessing something to do with the furry aspect?

But ew, what? The best not directed by Miyazaki? Miyazaki isn't even my favourite Ghibli director...sure, he's made some masterworks, but to say that The Cat Returns is as good as Grave of the Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday...*shudder*
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Toadsanime on Fri May 08, 2009 8:46 am

Adziu wrote:I'm guessing something to do with the furry aspect?

But ew, what? The best not directed by Miyazaki? Miyazaki isn't even my favourite Ghibli director...sure, he's made some masterworks, but to say that The Cat Returns is as good as Grave of the Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday...*shudder*

Although I own Grave of the Fireflies and Whisper of the Heart, I haven't actually seen them yet, so that's probably why I say that.
Actually, wait, I've only seen about 2 Ghibli films not directed by Miyazaki, so yeah. :?
Toadsanime

Postby Rach on Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Lol...A girl is being forced to marry a small furry animal, can you blame me for being freaked out? XD
Rach

Postby Toadsanime on Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Rach wrote:

Lol...A girl is being forced to marry a small furry animal, can you blame me for being freaked out? XD

Oh right, yeah, there's that. :lol:
Toadsanime

PreviousNext

Return to ANIME