Is animé too violent?

Chat about everything Anime here

Re: Is animé too violent?

Postby alicedragon on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:30 am

No. :D

Anime and manga are no different to other stuff. Manga contains the same amount of violence as comics and anime as other tv shows.
alicedragon

Postby Moonfire on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:40 pm

I think it is. only because I can't cope with all the blood, I mean I had to turn Afro Samurai off because it was too much for me.
Anime-Planet.com -

Age is not an issue if you are young. - Me
Moonfire

Postby animefan on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Being honest theres no such thing as too violent, all this depends on is the culture you grew up in and how de-sensitized to violence that culture is
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby Adziu on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Moonfire wrote:I think it is. only because I can't cope with all the blood, I mean I had to turn Afro Samurai off because it was too much for me.

The thing about Afro Samurai is that it's Anime made for Westerners. What they put in it is what Madhouse thinks that the Occident does, in conjunction with Western writers. In the 80s anime was much more gratuitously violent and juvenile. Most anime made for the West is along those lines.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Moonfire on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:18 pm

Adziu wrote:
Moonfire wrote:I think it is. only because I can't cope with all the blood, I mean I had to turn Afro Samurai off because it was too much for me.

The thing about Afro Samurai is that it's Anime made for Westerners. What they put in it is what Madhouse thinks that the Occident does, in conjunction with Western writers. In the 80s anime was much more gratuitously violent and juvenile. Most anime made for the West is along those lines.

mmm but not everyone is like that, I think I will just stick with Fruits Basket :)
Anime-Planet.com -

Age is not an issue if you are young. - Me
Moonfire

Postby AmyAnn on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:09 pm

The only violent anime that I have ever watched are Elfen Lied, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, She: The Ultimate Weapon, Akira and Ghost in the Shell and, to be honest, I didn't think they were that violent.

Alot of "violent" anime have just blood and gunshots and not much to be shown. However, one scene from Elfen Lied springs to mind where Nana has her limbs ripped off and THAT was violent. Anything in anime can be considered violent now such as a comical punch with crunching noises which is pretty pathetic, so I can't really say much on the matter rather than I don't think anime is. If you're old/mature enough to read subtitles or understand Japanese and get the storyline then you're old enough to understand that violence just happens. Jees, I think that western shows can be WAY more violent than anime [and alot of them play with your mind, too].
AmyAnn

Postby Adziu on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:56 pm

80s horror anime were highly gratuitous. Recently that's not been the fashion, although the success of Higurashi may usher in some more of the red stuff and torture.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby SantaBla on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:52 am

Nagai anime is violent. Devilman, Violence Jack, Abashiri Family.
SantaBla

Previous

Return to ANIME