What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Chat about Japanese Culture and anything that does not go into other sections

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby bother_bother_bother on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:55 pm

I walk around the house in my kigurumi sometimes which isn't cosplay I know, but they find it funny
bother_bother_bother

Postby bobbie-chan on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:08 pm

at first my mum was like 0_o . but after taking her to the expo on sunday (and showing her its not dodgey for like the 50th time) i won her over and now wherever we go she's all like
"oh look at that persons shirt it looks almost akatsuki like"
and she is currenly helping with my most recent cosplay ^^

as for my dad he is currently living in san jose and i might *fingers crossed* be going to fanime-con next year (which is really close to him) on study leave
w00p!!! :D
but if he laughs at me for cosplaying i'll just laugh at his hair which he has recently dyed blue to promote the sales of blue-ray discs -_-;;; you just couldnt make it up
bobbie-chan

Postby Paz on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 pm

my parents think its odd and wired and ts stupid and most likley when ever i mestion anytihng cosplay related we get into a fight but in saying that my parents don't care they know im wired but hay they are happey and long as i am (well thats what they say lol ) i know it say parents but my Sis think that same and she will not call me sis when im in cosplay :(
Paz

Postby Roy Swordsman on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:58 pm

My mother ABSOLUTLY HATES IT! It's amazing the hatred she has to it xD So... I make my costumes on the sly >>
She doesnt let me buy anything off the internet because shes amazingly paranoid, and I dont know how to sew so well... so urh. I'm in a bit of a predicament. I think what majorly put her off was when i made a Zanbatou for my Sanosuke cosplay xDD swinging around a giant piece of wood kinda put of her off. Oh, shes never been into dressing up.. I was never allowed to dress up for halloween xD I think thats why i love cosplay so much, because i finally get to dress up! She also thinks its a waste of money, even though most of the time it is my own money... I dont get any help on any of my cosplays because she hates it so much xD So i gotta work my butt off!
Roy Swordsman

Postby rockangel005 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:02 am

My mum thinks I'm strange, and yet she thinks I look 'cool' at the same time.
She confuses me.
She also said when she gets a sewing machine, she'll have a lot of fun making me cosplay.

My Dad, on the other hand, finds it extremely amusing and doesn't know the reason for it...
rockangel005

Postby PainSSBB on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 am

My mum laughed and called me a geek (in a friendly manner lol), whereas my dad was well excited when I asked him for help. He's really good with crafts (He's doing my Sword), and he respects what I want to do and wouldn't make fun or disapprove, especially as he wants to go to a Sci-Fi convention one day. Hmm... Depending on how well he does with the sword, I may get him a hotel for one sometime ;)
Smash Bros Brawl (2191-9140-9027) - PM me
PainSSBB

Postby rockangel005 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:13 pm

I really don't understand my parents now. XD
My mum wants to get herself a sewing machine and sell cosplay for a living. |:
And make it for me, obviously.
She's also enjoying the process of cutting my hair shorter and shorter to look like Gaara...
rockangel005

Postby SuiSurujin on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:23 pm

My mum saw the marly wig. Nothing surprises her now xD.
If you care enough about something, then nobody should be able to get in your way.
SuiSurujin

Postby Lenrir59 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:50 am

ShurikenFire wrote:Mine will moan that i've been wearing my Sasuke top out to College or to Romford near where i live =-=.

And she moans because she had to buy my OrganisationXIII coat from Ebay through her account (I don't have one yet, too young) But she moans when it's not even coming out of her money, the day after she paid for it, i gave her the exact cost of the coat to her, which was my own x_x.

She just hates using Ebay.

Romford...ROMFORD? Damm, I live in Rebridge/Ilford! More precise is Barkingside.

My parents are fine with cosplayng, since they know its my decision and they can tell I have fun doing it.
Lenrir59

Postby ShurikenFire on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 am

Lenrir59 wrote:
ShurikenFire wrote:Mine will moan that i've been wearing my Sasuke top out to College or to Romford near where i live =-=.

And she moans because she had to buy my OrganisationXIII coat from Ebay through her account (I don't have one yet, too young) But she moans when it's not even coming out of her money, the day after she paid for it, i gave her the exact cost of the coat to her, which was my own x_x.

She just hates using Ebay.

Romford...ROMFORD? Damm, I live in Rebridge/Ilford! More precise is Barkingside.

My parents are fine with cosplayng, since they know its my decision and they can tell I have fun doing it.

xD Quite a few of my friends cosplay and live near Romford.

Some who were in the Japanese class i used to go to all knew about the Expo and went.
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby Axel-Kanon on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 pm

my 'rents don't like me going out in cosplay 'cuz of the area i live in ringland in south wales its kinda chav/hater infested

also they don't want to spend loads of money on my things so i'm trying to get a job and get my sister to get me stuff as a present XD

also the fact it costs loads to get to london from wales

my mam dropped me off at last oct expo and was a bit freaked out -_- even though my mam and dad are both helping me with my chakrams. ... wierd people

actually my ENTIRE family thinks its wierd and dissaprove of me doing it
London October Expo
Saturday - Axel - KH 2
Marluxia - KH:COM
Sunday - Zexion - KH:COM
Axel-Kanon

Postby Raisaitsu on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:24 pm

I'm not quite sure.. I think my mother quite likes the idea, when I'm happy it's all good.
Plus she helps provide me with the materials for things such as cosplay.
Raisaitsu

Postby Trozz on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:05 am

my mum thinks its a waste of money :P tho she think almost everything i do is a waste of money aka. i cant save money burns :lol:
Trozz

Postby Then I Bit Your Face on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:59 am

Mums cool with it, shes one of those mums with the "If your happy, I'm happy" thing she just doesn't like me spending money for the outfits, she thought £50 for Luffy was too much, I wonder what she'll do when I tell her I want a different costume for May lol...mind you its pretty much the same for

Manga
DVDs
My tattoos
and anything thats not clothes XD
Saturday - 11th Doctor
Then I Bit Your Face

Postby Shadowhunter72 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:40 pm

my mum is fine with it when i told her that i wanted to make it :) , but is unable to help :( . When i asked my dad if it was OK, he totally rejected the idea :cry: (Maybe it was because i asked about wanting to make a Tails costume ...i really want to ^^). but i was recently able to convince him that it isn't that bad :) , however, he is still refusing to let me make it in the house *Shrugs* (I cant make it anyways :? ....not yet, until im about 17-18 *shrugs*)
Shadowhunter72

Postby ChobiChibi on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Mine don't really know what it is ^^; I've never cosplayed before, but my mum did help me make a Puchiko hat. She muttered something about me not needing to have bought so much fabric, but she doesn't know I intend to make the whole cosplay for the expo :D

My dad stole my Puchiko hat and wore it... It's slightly stretched now >_>;

My dog thinks I'm a cat when I wear it XD;
ChobiChibi

Postby MissColzyChan on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:17 pm

My parents thought it was weird at first but after seeing me having so much fun at my first expo last year they didn't seem to mind it. My dad at first also thought it was a waste of money but has recently started to see its something i enjoy doing & actually asks me about stuff & if he ever happens to see anything cosplay/anime related he always tells me, sometimes buys me it lol ^_^ i think the only issue they have with it now is how much some things cost
MissColzyChan

Postby Yamidragon on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:15 am

my family dont really understand it i think- my bro thinks its really really dumb and its glorified fancy dress XD
october expo 2009
dark dragon armour
Yamidragon

Postby Yamidragon on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:17 am

Adziu wrote:
Noire wrote:My mother is totally fine with it!
Actually, I have to BEG HER NOT to cosplay too T^T

She'd be great but...Just no.

Lol let her do it!

i saw a mother daughter combo who went as aeris and ifalna once- they were really great!
october expo 2009
dark dragon armour
Yamidragon

Postby ShadowxSong on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:21 am

This is an interesting topic XD

My mum's a pessimist so when I show her what I'm going to make she thinks it's impossible and I'll screw it up. Not in a nasty way she just reckons I'm going to make a big mess. She also doesn't like the money involved seeing as the first cosplay I did ended up putting me back around £90 and the postal tax was £50 T_T

My dad probably doesn't understand too well, but he drives me and my friend up there every time so he sees all the people dressed up - he even spotted a couple of people from video games I like and actually remembered who they were so I'm impressed. I think he thought it was cool after my friend and I actually managed to make Kalina Ann from DMC3 out of a drain-pipe.

As for my sister, she actually cosplayed the first time I did too when a month before I told her she could be from a movie too - she doesn't like video games or anime. Though I'm never allowed to tell anyone that she did...

Gah long >_>
ShadowxSong

Postby ZouZou on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:03 pm

My family is half and half with what they think. My auntie is 100% go for it as she says "It's what you like, and it makes you happy so you do what you want" :)
My Mum is 50/50 she was interested in my Sakura cosplay and even took pictures.. YAY! And she said I looked nice ^___^. But then she will get annoyed if I talk about it lots to her. She's said to me a couple of times 2It's just a hobby though, isnt it?" and of course it is! I'm not model! xD

My sister thinks its geeky, even though her bf has done Cloud before and SHE IS DOING A GEISHA GIRL AND TEAM ROCKET -.-;;;;;;;
Yeh she goes to fancy dress a few times too! I think she just didnt see the point in dressing up at Expos (she took me to the one in London this year) But its just like when she went into town for a drink in her tarty fancy dress outfit before metting all her friends. I think she only think's fancy dress is not weird when its a super hero or Nursery Ryme character! xD

My Dad's friends are really interested lol, they like my Katana xD even my P:E TEACHER! XD

Yeh so 50/50 for my family. I don't see my Dad too much anymore as we moved away from him a few weeks ago but he doesnt really say anything towards it, just signs for my packages when I'm not there and helps me unpack ^_^.
ZouZou

Postby Xylv on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:55 pm

My dad's fine with it, my mom thinks it's weird,

At first my dad did too, and he was trying to talk me out of it for ages, and gave up, and he's helping me ^^
Because I'm crossplaying, My parents(And brother) find that incredibly strange, nearly everyday I get the "Why can't you be normal? At LEAST go as a girl!" Which makes me laugh.

Hey, us kids and weird obsessions eh? xD
Midlands 2009;; ???
Xylv

Postby Yamidragon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:20 pm

...I don't think my parents have established that I'm going as a guy XD
october expo 2009
dark dragon armour
Yamidragon

Postby Shadowhunter72 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Xylv wrote:At first my dad did too, and he was trying to talk me out of it for ages

that's exactly what my dad's trying to do, im not going to let him break my spirit, i will cosplay when im old enough :P
Shadowhunter72

Postby xblackravenx on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:01 pm

my mum just raises her eyebrows when i mention it but my dad wants to come to one now i shown him the pics from may.
my sisters cool tho she helps me make my costumes ^-^
xblackravenx

PreviousNext

Return to JAPANESE CULTURE CHAT