What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Chat about Japanese Culture and anything that does not go into other sections

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Manga Girl on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:07 pm

My Dad is now getting used to the fact I cosplay, the only thing he's annoyed that I choose costumes that take too much effort to make
Manga Girl

Postby ballet shoes on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 pm

My Mum thinks its fascinating and is pretty much used to my interests by now. She does rather cute things sometimes like leaves post it notes in my Fruits books on her favourite pages and steals my X Japan cds. My step dad has no clue whatsoever and Id like it to stay that way. My Dad pretty much doesnt care what I do so long as I'm happy!! Mind you I'm 23 years old so if any of them did have a problem with it I wouldnt really take much notice!!
ballet shoes

Postby Finzo on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:28 pm

Odd-One-Out wrote:
SuiSurujin wrote:Yeah my dear old mum *sarcasm* has gotten worse about my cosplaying, she now either refers to it as 'g@y' or 'are you in a cult?'.

Thankfully the worst she can do is make comments!

Hahaha high five, mother thought it was a cult at one stage!

Not my parents, but since today quite a few people in my year are now convinced it's a cult. -.- Even though I told them it's not, they're insisting it is. Then again, they also seem to be under the impression that at the cosplay picnics we only speak Japanese to eachother, and I wrestle with 25 year olds. XD Not entirely sure why they think that...
Finzo

Postby Zawa Zawa Juice on Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 pm

My dad loves it - he made my cloak for May without even asking me if I wanted to help.

My mum...thinks it's a little odd. And she seems to think that everyone at the Expo is an old guy who has come to look at the skimpily-dressed girls.
Which is why she's monitoring the making of my Yoko cosplay very carefully.
Oct '09:

Saturday: Probably Camerica. Or Amanada.
Sunday: ???
Zawa Zawa Juice

Postby Bureda on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Zawa Zawa Juice wrote:My dad loves it - he made my cloak for May without even asking me if I wanted to help.

My mum...thinks it's a little odd. And she seems to think that everyone at the Expo is an old guy who has come to look at the skimpily-dressed girls.

you'll get a few people trying to 'glomp' or 'hug' you without your permission. So you have to stand your ground and tell them off at times. It's not necessarily males, you'd be surprised at the sheer amount of little girls doing it too, lol. :roll:
Bureda

Postby Zawa Zawa Juice on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:03 pm

Bureda wrote:
Zawa Zawa Juice wrote:My dad loves it - he made my cloak for May without even asking me if I wanted to help.

you'll get a few people trying to 'glomp' or 'hug' you without your permission. So you have to stand your ground and tell them off at times. It's not necessarily males, you'd be surprised at the sheer amount of little girls doing it too, lol. :roll:

I'm not bothered by hugs or glomps; after cosplaying as one of a pair of hitachiin twins last October, I'm pretty used to it too. (At least from girls, that is.)

But my mum probably would be, if she knew. Hahaha.
Oct '09:

Saturday: Probably Camerica. Or Amanada.
Sunday: ???
Zawa Zawa Juice

Postby ShurikenFire on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:20 am

Zawa Zawa Juice wrote:
Bureda wrote:

I'm not bothered by hugs or glomps; after cosplaying as one of a pair of hitachiin twins last October, I'm pretty used to it too. (At least from girls, that is.)

But my mum probably would be, if she knew. Hahaha.

Tell your mum that people glomping is like shaking someone's hand in this odd society.
Although i don't want people glomping me either o.O'''
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby Adziu on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:12 pm

People seem to be slowly learning that people expect to be asked before they get hugged/glomped.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby ShurikenFire on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:54 am

Adziu wrote:People seem to be slowly learning that people expect to be asked before they get hugged/glomped.

The whole glomping/hugging issue hadn't bugged me until it got out of hand at DA Cosplay Picnics.
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby SuiSurujin on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:54 am

ShurikenFire wrote:
Adziu wrote:People seem to be slowly learning that people expect to be asked before they get hugged/glomped.

The whole glomping/hugging issue hadn't bugged me until it got out of hand at DA Cosplay Picnics.

Don't get me started on the outta control hugs/glomps!! Some complete douchebag thought it was a good idea to glomp me unawares, in my org coat. It then got scuffed, a lot. I could've killed that little SOB!!

I have a feeling that the expo will be full of glompers too =/. Oh well never mind, I shall defend with my large boots! XD
If you care enough about something, then nobody should be able to get in your way.
SuiSurujin

Postby megacosplayer on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:22 pm

my mother thinks its a great idea becuase im making lots of friends and getting out more. my dad couldnt give 2 ****'s
megacosplayer

Postby Celahir on Thu May 01, 2008 10:43 pm

my Dad doesent know.I just say ' Going to London for a few days seeya. ' Dad : What for? Dan : Convention. Dad :...uhhh...okay have fun
Celahir

Postby Adziu on Fri May 02, 2008 3:03 am

That's until we e-mail him the Misa-Misa pics!
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Odd-One-Out on Fri May 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Adziu wrote:That's until we e-mail him the Misa-Misa pics!

LOL, I can imagine the fit that'd ensue.
Odd-One-Out

Postby ShurikenFire on Fri May 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Celahir wrote:my Dad doesent know.I just say ' Going to London for a few days seeya. ' Dad : What for? Dan : Convention. Dad :...uhhh...okay have fun

Oh god, i know 3 Dan's now, boy it's gonna be hard remembering all 3 of ya.

Ewwww a man doing MisaMisa xD
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby Celahir on Fri May 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Adziu wrote:That's until we e-mail him the Misa-Misa pics!

...That's just cruel! I'm sure then it'll be like

Dan : Dad! going to london seeya.
Dad : You mean your Transvestite Convention? >.>;
Celahir

Postby ShurikenFire on Fri May 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Hehehe, Tom so plans to blackmail you xD
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby Celahir on Fri May 02, 2008 7:45 pm

ShurikenFire wrote:Hehehe, Tom so plans to blackmail you xD

DX So unfair.
Celahir

Postby Jade Edgeworth on Fri May 02, 2008 9:08 pm

My mother in the begining, was rather cautious of it, and she HATES making outfits.
But since I made my own Franziska cosplay, hand sewn for 24 hours straight, with her shouting every few minuets and evr since my brother told her himself that others wear it alot too, shes been okay with it.
She still moans alot though, but altogether, she doesn't mind giving me a slight hand. xD
Jade Edgeworth

Postby Chane Laforet on Sat May 10, 2008 9:44 pm

I live on my own now but my mum seems to wanna see pictures sometimes.
Also she dressed as a nun to go see the sister act musical and was acting like she'd be super cool to me because of it... Was kinda funny =P
Chane Laforet

Postby picklesofdoom on Sun May 11, 2008 9:06 pm

Chane Laforet wrote:I live on my own now but my mum seems to wanna see pictures sometimes.
Also she dressed as a nun to go see the sister act musical and was acting like she'd be super cool to me because of it... Was kinda funny =P

LoL! My Aunt dressed as a nun for the Sing-Along sound of music.

I think I've posted in this thread, but that was a while ago.

UPDATE: My folks are pretty much acustomed now to my cosplay antics and even walk round shops and stuff looking at things seeing how I can use them to make "funky wierd" outfits. Nan was really gets into my cosplays now and likes to help out. She gave me a really useful tip on fixing the pink bits to ma parasol =^__^=
picklesofdoom

Location: somewhere admiring the deep dark depths of my random mind

Postby supergurl_19 on Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 pm

every time i go on about it they roll there eyes but my helped me with this one
supergurl_19

Postby neongyaru on Sun May 18, 2008 4:33 pm

My dad doesn't know a thing about it but he doesn't pay a whole lotta attention to me...his birthday was like, last week and just now he's remembered that I did give him a present but he hadn't opened it or acknowledged it lol...

Mum is of the opinion that every male going to Expo is a leering pervert out to find girls dressed in skimpy cosplays and school uniforms...I told her my friends fiance was going with us and she just said 'yes but what has she promised to wear for him'....

Me and my friend are dressing as Ganguro Girls and I've bleached my hair blonde for the occasion as well as tanning ridiculously so I look scary at the moment and mums like 'What have you done? Why? For one day?!'

I think she just thinks I'm too old at 20 to be into 'cartoons' as she puts it and music that 'children listen to'....I have to say I don't know many small children who listen avidly to Super EuroBeat....
neongyaru

Postby bebeXiAO on Tue May 20, 2008 8:06 pm

My parents literally hit me and yell at me whenever I cosplay.
It's already been 3 years and now they've stopped xD I guess they got tired and finally accepted the fact that I like this kind of stuff lol.
bebeXiAO

Postby Adziu on Tue May 20, 2008 9:02 pm

bebeXiAO wrote:My parents literally hit me and yell at me whenever I cosplay.
It's already been 3 years and now they've stopped xD I guess they got tired and finally accepted the fact that I like this kind of stuff lol.

Wow. That's somewhat excessive.
Adziu
Board Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to JAPANESE CULTURE CHAT