How Much Do You Spend on Costumes?

Chat about Cosplay & Costuming here

Re: How Much Do You Spend on Costumes?

Postby CrystalNeko on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Really? For items over £18? That's why I've been fortunate enough to not get caught by customs on eBay wigs!! Because all my wigs are usually around £10-15 [apart from my long blonde wig which was £30... but that didn't get caught]! I always thought it was because the sellers post the items as "gifts" so we don't have to pay a fee...
CrystalNeko

Postby picklesofdoom on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 pm

I do find cosworx very expensive so i try to avoid using unless I really have too. Cosworx do have good quality wigs and shiz though so are worth the money. Never had a problem with customs though, so canny comment on that side of things.

Mad_Capsule wrote:Wow... I really did fail at trying to do a cheap cosplay :(

LOL. It can easily happen. My last cosplay cost more than I hoped but that was mainly because of Telma's wig piece (which I didn't use in the end) and shoes. Shippo cost around £80 because I had to get my kimono commissioned but I tried to budget my costumes for last October after my previous 2 cosplays, Princess Peach and Dread Pirate Pickles, cost over £300 altogether. The pirate coat being the most expensive at about £100 inc shipping.....and I ended up getting carried away by shiney, shiney piratical objects.
That was when I put my super bargin hunter head on and raided the house (and other peoples houses) for stuff that I could use on the cheap. :lol: Got 3 costumes for about £150 in October in the end with Shippo being the most expensive.

Wigs and shoes end up being the most expensive part of cosplays I think. Props are next depending on materials and such.

What's everyone else found to be the most costly part of a cosplay?
picklesofdoom

Location: somewhere admiring the deep dark depths of my random mind

Postby Mad_Capsule on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:14 pm

The most expensive thing for me has changed, although this is situational really. Being jobless, I'm struggling with money and was surprised to see about £200 in my bank, realised it was my tax refund and just spent £100 on a corset for my cosplay :( I am BAD with money!
Otherwise my cosplays have been quite cheap, fabric being the most expensive part in Young Link, Izumi (Genshiken) and Jam (Guilty Gear), shoes being most expensive with Dita (Chobits)and corset being the most expensive with Silk Spectre. Corset wasn't really just for Silk Spectre though so don't know if that really counts. Otherwise it would be the wig which, incidently, I just got a letter about because it's at customs ¬_¬ YAY! More money to spend :(
Mad_Capsule

Postby SephNoir on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:13 pm

CrystalNeko wrote:Really? For items over £18? That's why I've been fortunate enough to not get caught by customs on eBay wigs!! Because all my wigs are usually around £10-15 [apart from my long blonde wig which was £30... but that didn't get caught]! I always thought it was because the sellers post the items as "gifts" so we don't have to pay a fee...

Yeah they increase the price limit if it's labelled a gift (I think to around £30something) which luckily a lot of ebay sellers do. Plus if you do ever get caught on something labelled a gift you can argue against it. I know quite a few people who have claimed that as it was a gift they didn't know it was coming so shouldn't have to pay the fee and gotten away with it!
SephNoir

Postby Mad_Capsule on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:19 am

My cosworx wig just got caught by customs, I didn't want to buy off ebay because I didn't want to end up with a bad quality wig and I've heard cosworx is good. Anyone else know companies, inside or out the UK but preferably in, where there are good quality wigs?
The worst thing about the customs office in Reading is that it's so out of the way and hard to reach without transport >_<
Mad_Capsule

Postby SephNoir on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 am

Mad_Capsule wrote:My cosworx wig just got caught by customs, I didn't want to buy off ebay because I didn't want to end up with a bad quality wig and I've heard cosworx is good. Anyone else know companies, inside or out the UK but preferably in, where there are good quality wigs?
The worst thing about the customs office in Reading is that it's so out of the way and hard to reach without transport >_<

You have to go collect it? O.o Normally you can just pay the fees online and they'll deliver it for you. It'd be worth finding out if you can do that.
Ebay isn't as good as cosworx imo but there are some good sellers on there, I like to use CosplayWig, Cog&Marc, ProfessionalOnly and Zhenna. None of them are really as thick as the cosworx wigs but Cosplaywig especially have really nice quality. ^^
I'd avoid places in the UK really, there are some shops around that sell Kanekelon but they're stupidly priced. You're looking at paying around £40 for a medium length wig!
SephNoir

Postby Mad_Capsule on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:34 am

I looked at professionalonly but I needed a rather plain wig because of what I'm trying to style and they didn't have what I needed, I'll check out CosplayWig though. I have to pay around £13 for the customs charge and if I want them to deliver, instead of collecting it I have to pay an extra £12. It's bullsh*t in my opinion but I don't have the money to pay them to do something they should be doing anyway (you know, since I paid for something to be shipped to my house I kinda expected the 'to my house bit' to be included in the $22 I paid for shipping) so I'm going to have to collect it at some point.
Mad_Capsule

Postby Sakura-San on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:01 pm

this time I spent £19 on a wig for my Miku cosplay for May, the rest I already had.
I used my dads old shirt, he's a XXXXXXXXL (or more? xD) so I have a lot of fabric left over, and the other stuff was just fabric I had left over from my textiles project. I specifically chose to cosplay Miku because I had the right coloured fabric :p

Coming to think of it.. the only thing I actually buy for cosplays are wigs xD
The most expensive one I have is Ryuk, he was £25 but neh :p
It takes more than good memory to have good memories.
Sakura-San

Postby chazz on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Well.. My costume has cost a fair bit..

£20 for materials.
£13 for ribbed turtleneck (rrp was 58 :wink:)
£36 for spray paints
£105 for shoulder pads (I wasted tons trying to make these myself :()
£20 for boots
£25 for contact lenses
£30 for trousers
£10 for gloves
chazz

Postby picklesofdoom on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:38 am

So far Quina is costing £30ish =^___^=
picklesofdoom

Postby faramon on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:40 am

Not normalyl this much but I have become so absurdly deemed towards making this perfect that at the moment I am at £495...... I swear to god this must last for a while and must look absolutly perfect or I may die ....

Commissioned Bolt pistol replica - £250
Underjacket - £50
Trench Coat - £12
Officers cap - £25
Medals - £60
Medal bars - £13
Boots - £15
Sash - £20
Trousers - £10
Other assorted small things - £10
Officers peaked cap .. not bought yet but is going to be roughly £30
faramon

Postby Freyarule on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 am

Holy fudge that's a lot!

Not sure how much mine are costing so far, Freya is going to cost waaay more in terms of materials, Team Aqua hasn't relly cost much, since I only bought white material, a bandana, a white shirt and am soon to buy black fabric paint.
Freya's going to need trimming and fabric paints and stuff for the spear etc etc...X_X
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
Freyarule

Postby chii-ren on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:20 pm

i usually set a £100 tops budget on any cosplay no matter what it is. If i can't make it within that budget i can't do the cosplay. I generally find that materials (if you look in the right places) are pretty cheap.
facebook.com/Jesschiicosplay
chii-ren

Postby Toadsanime on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 pm

picklesofdoom wrote:So far Quina is costing £30ish =^___^=

Wait, what? Wow, Quina only cost that much? Seriously? :shock:
Toadsanime

Postby Kaiyu on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:17 am

What ever it takes to get the right look ;)
I'll try to get cheep stuff if I can but sometimes you've just gotta spend a bit more to look a bit better.
I also make fursuits and those cost quite a bit more then regular cosplay costumes :3
Kaiyu

Postby sjbonnar on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:06 am

Cheapest was less than £10 as I made it from spare material.
Most was over £450
sjbonnar

Postby Tif9123 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Aerith cosplay:

Fabric for jacket: £35
Fabric for Dress: £35
Wig:£32.00
Bracelets: £8
Necklace:99p
Shoes: £9
Bits to make complete staff:£60

Depends on how much the cosplay means to me, the one im doing in may will cost a fortune. XD
Tif9123

Postby Posscat on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Death the Kid cosplay estimated prices;
Wig - £60 (the one I'm looking at, as it's from a place I know is high standard and it's a heck of a lot better than others on ebay)
Jacket - £20-£40 (including white parts to sow on)
Rings & Tie thing - £5-£10
Guns - £5-£10
Skateboard with modifcations - £30+
Contact lenses - £20
Total; £150-£170 or so

Depends on what I go for and what I do/don't buy. Hopefully it'll be cheaper as I don't actually have a job >_>
Posscat

Postby Amollion on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:12 pm

i always buy online so the price isnt much but it usually hit about 100pounds my sesshomaur cost £320 thats my most expensive one i didnt eat for w week i was so poor but it was worth it lol
Amollion

Postby rocksanie on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:08 pm

I have no idea XD
I buy a few costumes, but then we also buy a few pieces and stuff and piece oufits together and modifi them |D

Although I think right now My Sebastian Michaelis costume might be much more epxnsive then the rest |D I got a tailcoat for £25, I brought 14buttons which is okay for £4.20 Trousrs were £1.50, I'm gonna try make the Phantomhive crest for the tailcoat so that should be okay, the wing collar was idk actually something like £3 I guess but yeah |D
This one is definatly worth it >D
Awesomely Awesome XD || Midlands Expo - Da Qiao DW7/DW:SF2version
rocksanie

Postby Tif9123 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:43 am

Queen garnet next, im making her dress out of satin and silk, plus the crown and arm warmers and all the hand embroidery. It will cost me roughly £350 ><
Tif9123

Postby aoisakura on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:57 pm

£200 max. I usually only spend about £150 at most. Euphemia will cost about £140s~
May'11 MCM-
Trap!Ciel Saturday
Format Gakupo Sunday
aoisakura

Postby picklesofdoom on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:41 am

Toadsanime wrote:
picklesofdoom wrote:So far Quina is costing £30ish =^___^=

Wait, what? Wow, Quina only cost that much? Seriously? :shock:

Yup.... Got a ton of material for really cheap at place called Dunlem Mill, plus it was Double width which meant I actually needed less metres-wise and didn't need to buy as much as I would have done at a fabricshop. The rest of the stuff was things I already had. Except for the pillowcases which I used for the head and the Hoop Skirt which I borrowed from ElegantAura. .... oh and of course, the delightful pair of crocs. Got them off ebay for bout £3

My most expensive was my pirate cosplay which cost bout £150 or summat like that but that was mostly for my coat which I brought, it was worth it though, ITS GORGEOUS and I luffles it!!! :D

Maleficent cost around £45 I think.... all shineeeey material.....

Current cosplay project is a ball gown. All the materials/threads/leaves and shizzles cost me £25, bargin considering the dress I brought bout a year ago for a masqurade birthday party thingy cost me £95 and that was half-price........here's hoping i can do a good job at sewing it though and making it look pretty....LoL :D
picklesofdoom

Postby fks-102 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:21 am

Mines already cost me over £100 probably and I'm not even 1/2 of the way through
fks-102

Postby OptimisticRebel on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 pm

This thread is like dead, but it is interesting to know.
So for mine,

Hat £ 7
Mousse £ 1
Hair Spray £ 3
Button £ 1
Shirt £ 5
Sweater £ 3
Shorts £ 20
Socks(6) £ 5
Shoes Already owned.

Luke Triton = £ 45
OptimisticRebel