How Much Do You Spend on Costumes?

Chat about Cosplay & Costuming here

Re: How Much Do You Spend on Costumes?

Postby EmeraldStarlight on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:57 pm

EMPIRE COSTUME GROUP wrote:
EmeraldStarlight wrote:@EMPIRE COSTUME GROUP: i would have thought the whole thing would have costed more.

most of my cosplays averages out at about £200, i'm a perfectionest, i have to get every detail right no matter how small otherwise i won't wear it ^^ (for my shin cosplay for nana, i went and brought a bass guitar for £300, eeeek...) i don't understand how some of you can get your cosplays for so cheap :? ALL of my wages from my part time job goes straight to my cosplay.

You call £550 for a costume cheap? its alot to me. It could have cost me more if I had bought a complete costume but I couldnt afford it in one go so have had a budget of around £50 per month some times a little more and bought it bit by bit. over 11 months now. The next costume I plan to buy will be Bob Fetts but that might take a couple of years to finish.

Cheers.

sorry ^^; i didn't mean to say it was cheap, i meant that it looks really well made so i THOUGHT it would have been MORE expencive that what you payed..... and i really admire your dedication.
EmeraldStarlight

Postby EMPIRE COSTUME GROUP on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:40 pm

EmeraldStarlight wrote:
EMPIRE COSTUME GROUP wrote:
EmeraldStarlight wrote:@EMPIRE COSTUME GROUP: i would have thought the whole thing would have costed more.

most of my cosplays averages out at about £200, i'm a perfectionest, i have to get every detail right no matter how small otherwise i won't wear it ^^ (for my shin cosplay for nana, i went and brought a bass guitar for £300, eeeek...) i don't understand how some of you can get your cosplays for so cheap :? ALL of my wages from my part time job goes straight to my cosplay.

You call £550 for a costume cheap? its alot to me. It could have cost me more if I had bought a complete costume but I couldnt afford it in one go so have had a budget of around £50 per month some times a little more and bought it bit by bit. over 11 months now. The next costume I plan to buy will be Bob Fetts but that might take a couple of years to finish.

Cheers.

sorry ^^; i didn't mean to say it was cheap, i meant that it looks really well made so i THOUGHT it would have been MORE expencive that what you payed..... and i really admire your dedication.

Ah right I see what you mean. These costumes can be very expensive but I have been lucky with some of it example the helmet only cost £43 I just got lucky on ebay and the hand plates were 99p for both. I bought the whole thing form ebay from various people.

If you want to know more about it see me atb the next Expo... Glad you like it coz I love it and never thought I would own one.

Thanks,

Sean
EMPIRE COSTUME GROUP

Postby clowreed on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:10 pm

My Costume started at £200 now its more like £400 and i still need to get shoes ((by next sat XD)) but its still worth the pain of money loss :D
Last edited by clowreed on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
clowreed

Postby Regasssa on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Let's see...I used mostly old stuff from my house for Vincent, but if I add it up honestly from what those things cost, it probably looks like this:

£10 red fabric and leatherette
£5 tape/glue/super glue/split pins from Hooties
£2 foam sheets from Hooties
£2 plastic cricket stump
£2 empty glitter pots (I restored the glitter which I still haven't used, so it probably doesn't count)
£1 toy gun
£20 oil based paint, silver, gold and one silver paint pen for cleaning up marks
£22 wig
£10 boots
£10 trousers and shirt
£5 gloves
£12 buckles
£5 modelling clay (I still have to make a set of spare pieces, so that if they fall off I'll have replacements for Sunday)

So all in all...£106, which is way more than I thought I'd spent on it, lol. Since I have all this stuff around, I've only actually paid out for the wig, the fabric, the clothes and the buckles. Hum. But I do have to replace the gloves.

Yay for wholesalers, though! I once cosplayed as Aya from Weiss Kreuz until the hair grew out. So many times I was in that black coat... Now that was a cheap cosplay. £5 for that coat. Buffy was cheap too, since I carved the stake myself, and cosplaying Star Trek was supercheap. Yay for spots.
Regasssa

Postby HitachiinTwin01 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 am

the most I have ever spent on a costume is about £50

I think thats cheap compared to most outfits, some people buy costumes which are £100+ which isnt too bad
but im only a student so I realllllllyyy cant spend too much. most of the stuff I use is from different parts of my other costumes so it doesnt work out to be that much ^.^
HitachiinTwin01

Postby Freyarule on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:29 pm

I think my Tohru costume cost around £30-40.

As for Kari:
Wig: £15
Leggings: £6
Shirt: £5
Buttons: £0.90
Shoes: £7
Socks £3
Whistle: £4
Neckscarf: £3

Total: £43.90 (rounded to £44)

So it cost about more than Tohru did. That really surprises me, I thought Tohru would cost more! Note that I didn't buy all the things in one go, I did it gradually with the money I scrimped and saved :lol: plus my mum bought the shirt, buttons and wig xD everything else I bought myself.
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
Freyarule

Postby darkened-tragedy on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:28 pm

About £50
o:
Saturday : Gaara
darkened-tragedy

Postby rue on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 am

My fiancé call me a big sad nerd for spending about £109 on costume and about £60 making my sword, with other little expenses inbetween... ;_;
Arnold 'Schmucko' Rimmer
rue

Postby Wildeth on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:44 pm

Around 100 - 150 pounds. x3
May 2010

Sat Akira Kogami (Lucky Star)
Sun Finnian (Kuroshitsuji)
Wildeth

Postby louisesuperstar on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:00 pm

The Suzumyia Haruhi cosplay cost me £15 from a shop in Japan when I went there on holiday.
Princess Serena ball dress-
Dress- Free, it was my mums wedding dress what I cut up ^-^
Wig- £20 from ebay
Jewellery; pearl earring and pear necklace- My nans and my mums.
Shoes- Just a pair of heels I had lying about
Ribbon for the bow- £5 (ish)
Elastic to hold the dress up- £3
Total- £27

PROOF you can get anamazing cosplay on a tight budget
Sat- Aoi Kunedia (Beezelbub)
louisesuperstar

Postby yukiookami on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:59 pm

My most recent costume (Kyuubi from Naruto) cost me about £100 overall. The fur was probably the most expensive part at about £5 a meter, but I had seen other furs for about £15 a yard!
Woo :D
yukiookami

Postby RanmaSyaoranSaotome on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:35 pm

yukiookami wrote:My most recent costume (Kyuubi from Naruto) cost me about £100 overall. The fur was probably the most expensive part at about £5 a meter, but I had seen other furs for about £15 a yard!

>_>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm glad you didn't see the prices of some of my curtain fabric XD
RanmaSyaoranSaotome

Postby Nekoni on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:21 pm

yukiookami wrote:My most recent costume (Kyuubi from Naruto) cost me about £100 overall. The fur was probably the most expensive part at about £5 a meter, but I had seen other furs for about £15 a yard!

That's a good price, it's how much the shirt fabric for Sakura cost for me,

Question- where did you buy it? I'm not after orange fur, but I'm lookin' for some...
Nekoni

Postby Tsuru on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:23 am

About £50 for a pretty decent suit, not bad for my first cosplay to be honest.

Though despite the amount of people hugging and taking photos of me, I'm about as illusive in photos as finding a Dodo in your garden.
Tsuru

Postby Regasssa on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:19 am

Revisiting this thread... Hmm. I don't by any degree have the full pricing list yet, but I can start off by saying: £40 for a black catsuit, and £10/m for the canvas for the wings. So we're getting close to £100 before I've even started on the helmet and the glowing eyes and the materia. Holy moly. I'm glad I'm giving myself such a long time to make it. o.o
Regasssa

Postby wyrd_sister on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:45 am

It all depends on the costume and how realistic/ authentic you want to be to the original.
I have never spen more than £100 on a costume, basically, because I can't afford to... and that was a full leather, chain mail and metal armour costume from LOTR. I do dig around for bargains until I found the best fabric/material for the costume I want to make. It slows down the process of course, so it can take ages to get the costume finished but the results are just as good as if I'd spent £500 on it. :D
wyrd_sister

Postby earth_bubbles on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:43 pm

So far my total cosplay costs ever are shaping up to be £20-25, but quite frankly neither of them actually resembled anything.

For Nevan I have spent nil so far, I nicked the fabric off a friend. However, I'm not sure if I should use the cordurouy or buy furniture fabric from John Lewis and make only the bats out of the stuff I nicked. This is assuming my many parental figures let me cosplay as a green topless succubus.
GENERATION 21: First time you see this, copy into your sig on any forum, add 1 to the generation.
earth_bubbles

Postby picklesofdoom on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 am

Quina = £7.50 + Free Iron Wood pole so far.

Bound to go up pretty soon after christmas when I acctually get started on it.

¬_____¬
picklesofdoom

Location: somewhere admiring the deep dark depths of my random mind

Postby sastiger on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:17 pm

This year I have spent around £1000 on cosplay alone.

DEKARED AND DEKABLUE FROM INDONESIA! :twisted:
sastiger

Postby CrystalNeko on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:02 pm

sastiger wrote:This year I have spent around £1000 on cosplay alone.

I-I-I'm assuming you spent £1000 ALTOGETHER on ALL the cosplays you've done this year? I can't imagine any costume costing £1000 O_O [Unless you make a -working- Gundam...]

Ah, my Haine cosplay at the moment has costed me £60 ;__; I still gotta buy gloves, pearls and fimo. Altogether it should be around £70-80 -__- Most expensive cosplay to date grrrr. This costume needs to be reworn loads due to the expense XP
CrystalNeko

Postby sastiger on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:25 am

CrystalNeko wrote:
sastiger wrote:This year I have spent around £1000 on cosplay alone.

I-I-I'm assuming you spent £1000 ALTOGETHER on ALL the cosplays you've done this year? I can't imagine any costume costing £1000 O_O [Unless you make a -working- Gundam...]

Ah, my Haine cosplay at the moment has costed me £60 ;__; I still gotta buy gloves, pearls and fimo. Altogether it should be around £70-80 -__- Most expensive cosplay to date grrrr. This costume needs to be reworn loads due to the expense XP

As stated imported from indonesia, just need to get one more mystic force Zentai off Ebay, then im done :>
sastiger

Postby Abbster on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 pm

well i've bought most of my things for my costume on Ebay or in small shops by me. It saves money customising other things or dying stuff than paying out for full costumes. And you get more satisfaction from all the hard work! lol. I'm going as Rikku from ffX in may.

i've paid about £6 for the top, £5 for the shorts £2 for the belt, most of the other stuff im making so i just need feathers and materials. lol and i don't need a wig since my hair is pratically the same colour and length as hers! ^^
but there is still alot to do.
Abbster

Postby Freyarule on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 am

Up to £10 spent already for:

- white top (to be painted on for Team Aqua Grunt)
- Yellow ribbon for Freya's tail
- White material (for Freya's top/Team Aqua symbols on jeans and bandana)

My nan was so kind and surprised me with more than enough red material for Freya. THANKYOU NAN!!! You saved me spending more money on material!
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
Freyarule

Postby Ottervinn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Let's see... For my Watari cosplay, I owned most of it ^^; - the jeans, the shirt, the shoes. I spent £1 on a pair of crappy reading glasses that I took the lenses out of (:P), um, £12 on a lab-coat, and £2 on an orange scarf that I used to tie up my hair with. ^__^ And I borrowed my fingerless gloves and little toy owl from my friends. :D
London - Francis Bonnefoy - France (Hetalia)
Other cons - Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
Ottervinn

Postby Miss-Neko-Chan on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:34 pm

im going as anju and misha im kinda cheating and using the same dress as its made for me and cost £80.00 there goes my wage and changeing the wig shoes and accesories i spent £20.00 on shoes £15.00 silver wig £15.00 pink wig £5.00 on wings and plus i still have to get stockings and a parasol -gulps-

im going to be poor
Miss-Neko-Chan

PreviousNext

Return to COSPLAY & COSTUMING