Where did "free hugs" start?

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories

Where did "free hugs" start?

Postby Barry790 on Sat May 24, 2008 6:32 pm

as per usual the hundreads of manga fans were shouting "free hugs" today (even on the train....to which got some odd looks), got me wondering....who/where did that start...its gotta have came from somewhere?
Barry790

Re: Where did "free hugs" start?

Postby BillyBrown on Sat May 24, 2008 6:58 pm

Yeah, some of those cosplayers gave me the creeps man, I saw two guys dry humping a guy who was practically dressed as a gimp. Theres free hugs and then theres just plain wrong. Isn't expo a family event? :? :lol:
BillyBrown

Postby Seiyuuki on Sat May 24, 2008 7:04 pm

BillyBrown wrote:Yeah, some of those cosplayers gave me the creeps man, I saw two guys dry humping a guy who was practically dressed as a gimp. Theres free hugs and then theres just plain wrong. Isn't expo a family event? :? :lol:

Some familys are fine with their children seeing whatever :?
Phear the free hugs, you may end up being dry humped XD
Seiyuuki

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Sat May 24, 2008 7:21 pm

It probably started with someone lonely somewhere thinking 'ooh how can I get someone to touch me ..' :|
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Seiyuuki on Sat May 24, 2008 7:23 pm

GottaHaveFaith wrote:It probably started with someone lonely somewhere thinking 'ooh how can I get someone to touch me ..' :|

... Thats creapy...
Seiyuuki

Postby sunny1r on Sat May 24, 2008 7:49 pm

Lol I didn't expect many free hugs but there were loads of people, there was even some group hugging outside - once involving a tree. I'm not sure where this craze came from, but i'm gonna guess it came from people who just wanted to have some fun - and what better way to make freinds than to start with a hug!
sunny1r

Postby The3rdChildren on Sat May 24, 2008 8:01 pm

There is something infinitely creepy about an adult male walking around with a free hugs sign as children and young teenagers flock to embrace him. Santa he was not.

Otherwise it looks a lot of fun, but not really my cup of tea.
The3rdChildren

Postby sunny1r on Sat May 24, 2008 8:07 pm

The3rdChildren wrote:There is something infinitely creepy about an adult male walking around with a free hugs sign as children and young teenagers flock to embrace him. Santa he was not.

yeah I agree i generally stayed away from the younger and elder generations and stuck to people my own age.
sunny1r

Postby Katherine on Sat May 24, 2008 8:37 pm

When I saw sitting at a table there was a group of guys sitting on the next table, a man walked past with a free hugs sign and all the guys on the table said 'YER! HERE, HE WANTS ONE!' to their friend, you should of seen their friend trying to escape :P
Katherine

Postby an1m3_43v3r on Sat May 24, 2008 9:03 pm

the free hugs thing is kinda . tbh i mean yea ok fair enuf but attention seeking or wat
an1m3_43v3r

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Sat May 24, 2008 9:27 pm

sunny1r wrote:and what better way to make freinds than to start with a hug!

By talking to them like any normal person would?
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Sakura-San on Sat May 24, 2008 10:19 pm

I think it came from a video on YouTube, ages ago. I remember my friends walking down a high street with them a few years back :)
I only hug people if they're cosplaying or don't look like they're going to kill me xD
It takes more than good memory to have good memories.
Sakura-San

Postby Ultimket on Sat May 24, 2008 10:34 pm

i think the free hugs were made kinda popular because of this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U67WSrofCOo

which is a very beautiful AIDS campaign.

P.S: i suspect the video is older than said on youtube.
Ultimket

Postby tiny5th on Sat May 24, 2008 10:38 pm

why does that video make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside?
tiny5th

Postby Suiko on Sat May 24, 2008 11:54 pm

The free huggers weren't so bad this year. Instead of going up to you personally and asking (in which case i'd just do it because i'd feel bad) they just let it be known that they'd be giving free hugs to anyone that wanted them. I still got a random one though :? .
Suiko

Postby zebredy on Sun May 25, 2008 5:31 am

Well I'm not a tuchy feely sorta person (only let my fiance hug me :D )

Last time we said no to someone who was asking for a hug, and had a sign with it on, and I had to say it three times before they would back off as they were like you sure you don't oh come on (sorta thing) which was a little to creepy for me and made me feel a little uncomfortable, don't think they meant it the way I took it but, when your not a big fan of hugs and stuff it can be a little too freeky.

Good job my fiance was there, he went 'SHE SAID NO THANK YOU' then he just walked away and huffed...

Some people are ok, you say no and they walk off. Others ask you a couple of times before they get the message, (geeze what do they think no means YES? I think not) though granted I only notised 2 people doing that last time...

Remember guys and galls NO means NO (not to sound rude or anything as I know most of you get this)

I'm off to the show later so hopefully I won't encounter the same person I did last time (I doubt it). Well have fun glomping and free hugging people, but remember, not everyone is as keen to be glomped or hugged as you would like...
zebredy

Postby clairefun on Sun May 25, 2008 7:24 am

My little boy loved it and was hugging lots of people. (sorry, mr blue power ranger, who kinda got a bit stalked...), He's 3 though and doesn't see anything wrong with hugging people...must say I don't really see the problem either - is it really that much of a problem? I mean, I don't *tend* to do them ( being a 31 year old mum, and there with my husband, I'm not really the overexcited active running about type) but did a few anyway, one sign was for gackt, myv and an cafe fans free hugs, and I'm seeing Miyavi next month so had to hug that one for reminding me and making me smile.

I don't really *get* it and I wouldn't offer, but I don't mind hugging if someone asks. They don't tend to impose and I think it's nice that everyone is having fun in their own way. No harm done. My 3 year old was giving hugs out left right and centre!
clairefun

Postby panda z on Sun May 25, 2008 9:44 am

http://www.freehugscampaign.org/

I wonder if this is anything to do with it...?
panda z

Postby Burninghammer on Sun May 25, 2008 10:53 am

The hugs are just a bit of fun, i mean their all lovely such and at the Expo everyone seems to just get along.

I was fortunate to find a Misa who also gave me a free smooch :)
Burninghammer

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Sun May 25, 2008 11:05 am

One person's "lovely" is another's "creepy" ..
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Pinkina on Sun May 25, 2008 12:29 pm

To me, the "free hugs" thing was always one person in a hundred or something. Not a group of people "squeeling" about it.
It's meant to be a gentle mutual gesture... Isn't it? :)

I can imagine going up to people and asking for it, is not the best way to do something like that, which is why the sign should suffice?

Not that I had a problem with them at the expo, just found it not the same "idea" as I've seen it everywhere else I've experienced it. :]

I thought it originated with one guy wanting to go out and bring love into people's lives? Though, I think all the videos out there on youtube for the same thing will be the same kindof thing. Not sure who the original was.
Pinkina

Postby zaikrafu on Sun May 25, 2008 12:58 pm

sunny1r wrote:Lol I didn't expect many free hugs but there were loads of people, there was even some group hugging outside - once involving a tree. I'm not sure where this craze came from, but i'm gonna guess it came from people who just wanted to have some fun - and what better way to make freinds than to start with a hug!

Oh I was part of that tree hugging group :D Then it turned into Hokey Pokey. =P
zaikrafu

Postby BillyBrown on Sun May 25, 2008 1:04 pm

The3rdChildren wrote:There is something infinitely creepy about an adult male walking around with a free hugs sign as children and young teenagers flock to embrace him. Santa he was not.

LMAO, Yeah, some of those dudes are really old enough to know better.
BillyBrown

Postby beautiful_hooker on Sun May 25, 2008 1:39 pm

I'm not a big fan or the free hugs thing. I think it's abit creepy. There was a random group of like 10 years olds asking for free hugs. Would have been strange if people wanted to hugt them
beautiful_hooker

Postby Marionbell on Sun May 25, 2008 6:18 pm

I like the free hugs :)
Most people do it for fun and it does give you a warm fuzzy feeling ^_^
So far i haven't met 1 creepy person and i think that it is what makes expo so friendly :D
Marionbell

Next

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2008