Where did "free hugs" start?

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories

Re: Where did "free hugs" start?

Postby ntrspd on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:45 am

Free hugs was wrong, but there was a fair amount not alot but a small quantity of pretty girls. Oh well this is my first time visiting this expo so right now im thinking different.
ntrspd

Postby Arkayen on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:21 pm

ntrspd wrote:Free hugs was wrong, but there was a fair amount not alot but a small quantity of pretty girls. Oh well this is my first time visiting this expo so right now im thinking different.

So its wrong unless its from a pretty girl...

Not only is that shallow minded its entirely missed the point.
MCM Expo Message Board Moderator

Arkayen
Board Moderator

Postby sir_auronDX on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:56 pm

sjbonnar wrote:
Where did "free hugs" start?

The depths of hell...

When an ancient nine tailed fox appeared!((you know the rest :roll: ))
sir_auronDX

Postby zaikrafu on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:56 pm

ntrspd wrote:Free hugs was wrong, but there was a fair amount not alot but a small quantity of pretty girls. Oh well this is my first time visiting this expo so right now im thinking different.

what! I find that really offensive btw. I did free hugs and I'm not pretty, so I find that a really nasty thing to say. And I still got plenty of hugz so yerr. Normally people not liking free hugs doesn't bother me, they can have their own opinion and I don't "force" hug people Lol. But that comment was just shallow and rude.
zaikrafu

Postby Alanna_Krynia on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:25 pm

Hmm.. This expo was my first one ^^;.. I didn't really understand the 'free hugs' so i ignored it.. But I saw this one guy with 'free gay sex' written on him..that worried me xD
Alanna_Krynia

Postby sir_auronDX on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:22 pm

so when people try to rape you and you say no its all good right?((a bit of a STRONG example i know))
we just dont want to be hugged....because we might be in cosplay we might like our space but they pester and pester even when we say no
sir_auronDX

Postby Silver on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Free hugs annoy me. About as as much as the attention seeking 'will yaoi for free' signs. *eyeroll*
If you want a hug. Ask. If the person youask says no don't throw a freakin' hissy-fit and call that person names. Just accept it gracefully and move along.

Cosplayers are not your person hug posts.

And amazingly enough,some people don't like their personal space invaded by people they don't know.

If you ask politely and you seem nice enough, and the person you asked say yes, then hug away.

Don't just POUNCE and expect people to be okay with it.

Its hardly rocket science.
May Expo, 2010
Silver

Postby bobbie-chan on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:24 pm

it was my first ever expo in may and i think that the free hugs thing was ausome!!!
i got bored after a while though but me and my friends were having a who was the best at huggng competition
i can see ur point though it can get kinda creepy and when people bother you for them its just plain irritating!!!!
bobbie-chan

Postby Lisu-chan on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

I would just wish people thought before they acted... because well... someone might or might not have destroyed my cosplay outfit with an uninvited glomp. Other then that... it's MY personal bubble... XD I don't mind a nicely asked hug, and if asked I mostly will give it anyway.

But do the 14 year old kids realise they MIGHT just attract the 'wrong' people? *shudders* I'm old and wise enough to see what intent someone might have, but do they?

It would be fun to see less of these signs this October!

BTW... I've seen them last October as well, but before that I've spotted them in Holland as well... But if you want the real source... it's just a thing from USA... or at least that's where I've seen the first signs! (It's like a virus, nowadays)

On the other hand, I haven't seen them in Belgium or France... AS OF YET!

As annoying as I think they are, some people DO enjoy them... if we walk around eachother... no one gets hurt, right? XD
Lisu-chan

Postby ToroSonyCat on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Cant STAND the idea of free hugs to be honest.
or being glomped.

If its your friends its fine, or people you know. But no strangers. NO THANK YOU.
ToroSonyCat

Postby FishMaster on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:44 am

I big thing that only just stop like 2 years ago, people used to hold up signs saying " sorry girls, i'm g.a.y"
havetn seen one of thghs in....well 2 years ( i will have one this year )
FishMaster

Previous

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2008