Do you think the Expo's are too crowded now?

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories

are the expo's over crowded now?

Yes
70%
No
4%
Why should over crowding make a difference?
10%
The more the merrier, regardless of how big it gets
16%

Total votes : 122

Re: Do you think the Expo's are too crowded now?

Postby Admin-2 on Wed May 28, 2008 10:35 am

eslupmi wrote:i was at the entrance Saturday afternoon, i didn't see fire marshells... but it was SO crowded saturday... i think the Expo needs like 3 halls now and not 2

The May Expo was actually 4 Halls with One main entrance. For October it looks like it will be 5 halls.

As to prices. These only increase each year and not each show, so the price for October is the same as MAy.

Hope that helps.
London MCM Expo - Admin~2
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby Bateau on Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 am

I spent an hour queueing up to buy a ticket then for a lot of the expo it was shoulder-to-shoulder. ExCeL is far too small and they should change venue next time.
Bateau

Postby eslupmi on Wed May 28, 2008 11:09 am

Noo, don't change venue! Excel's easy to get too!

and it was 4 halls? really? Excell is tiny...you should just take up one side of the entire lengh of the centre or something...
~ANTY~

eslupmi is impulse spelt backwards!
eslupmi

Postby Moozman on Wed May 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Possibly, id like to see more space being made for the big cosplays to get on stage for masquerade, as i have a few bigger ones planed for oct XD

Moozman
Moozman

Postby Neko-Chan on Wed May 28, 2008 5:23 pm

i didnt find it any crowded than usual and i was in there almost all the time cept the gundam meet.

only thing i did see was the manga alley area... something that repeatedly crops up. theres a nice ring of stalls around it and a wide alley way near the tokyopop stand but all the other sides were so rowded especially as there was a guest signing right next to it.. we oculdnt even walk through there a one point!!!!!
Neko-Chan

Postby Dark Moxx on Wed May 28, 2008 5:36 pm

The events always seem to get busier each year, which is great as more people are supporting the Expo, however if they could hire out another part of the expo as well and space things out a bit more it would be much better=)

My major problem was queuing for the Battlestar Galactica autographs, the area was really small and very claustrophobic, I felt very sorry for the attendant who was having to manage who joined the queue whilst coping with a steady stream of traffic going past, so I'd say improve the queing areas as well!!!
When the coffees good, so is everything else!
Dark Moxx

Postby EksDee-Luna on Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 am

The thing is, guys... Expo increases in size each year.
It's just that so do the attendants (some of them quite literally...)
As more people come, it gets harder to judge the space needed for stalls and suchlike. I recall at Japanex, people thought it was TOO BIG because the space provided wasn't crammed full of people.
So.. The admin can't really win, can they?

I can actually imagine in a few years time the ENTIRE building on both sides will belong to this event. :shock:
It's growing that fast...

See, I don't mind walking through crowds of people - the thing I dislike is when you can't get to a stall until Sunday when everything you want is sold due to the large body of people in the way. But that CANT be resolved - it's because a stall is only so big, and the number of people in the hall is increasing. Even increasing space for stalls won't help, because you still have to get from one side of it to the other in order to look at it.
EksDee-Luna

Postby Odd-One-Out on Thu May 29, 2008 1:45 pm

To be honest I didn't get hot at all on Saturday nor did I feel it was overcrowded? Or is my observation just terrible?
Odd-One-Out

Postby chrismk on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:07 pm

In answer to the original question, A world of 'yes'!! I had a truly shocking experience at this event (easily my worst one in 12 years of event attending). I wanted to get Edward James Olmos' auto, but wasn't sure which day I could attend (work reasons). As a result, I didn't book an advance and so compensated by going to the event early, to queue up.

Arrived at 6.30 AM to stand about 40th in the queue. Watched as 30-40 people jumped it. Then, we got moved to a seperate hall to continue the queing process. As this point, we were split into two queues, one queue for pre-paid and one queue for pay on the day (including me). Paid my £12 to join another new queue (close to the front of it) and then watched in disbelief as the ENTIRE pre pay queue started going into the hall first. Even though the hall opened at 9.20 (ish), people were still joining the pre-paid queue and going in first! By 10.15, I was STILL stood in the queue (having not moved) and was watching people who arrived nearly 4 hours after me, going in first. At this point, I asked members of the crew what was going on. I was told that pre-paid get priority, but when I asked why we had not been added to that queue (either when we bought the tickets, or when the venue officially opened), I was told it was tough and we had to wait. At nearly 10.30, I spotted the organiser and asked him what was with it... Again, I was told that pre paid get priority and that I should have seen it on the website. I pointed out that I didn't access the website (the embedded video that was there kept crashing my IE) and was eventually given a refund, after being told that over 4000 people had already gone in and noticing that the pre-paid queue STILL contained 1500+ people and was STILL getting bigger. I realised there was no point in queuing any further and my odds of meeting EJO were pretty slim (I had to get back home that afternoon).

Brian, I have now been able to look on the webite (the embedded video has gone) and it does NOT say that pre-paid tickets will get in first. It says that they do not need to 'check-in' (whatever that means), but it does not state that you will get priority entrance.

There's no way I'll be going back to Expo again (and from teh comments made from people in the same queue that I was in, the next one might NOT be as busy!)
chrismk

Postby TurkFox on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:30 pm

I felt a bit scared for the times I was inside on Saturday, since I'm small and couldn't even see where I was going half the time. I felt really squashed and it was so busy that people were just walking right through me at one point. I ended up not being inside much and if I hadn't been going to watch the masquerade anyway, I'd have been annoyed at spending the ticket money only to be too afraid to stay inside.

I also struggled queuing on Saturday because I was there so long on my own and I couldn't leave to get a drink or anything - I had understood that the pre-booked tickets would get in first, however in my experience that has never meant the pay-on-the-day people would have to wait an extra hour-and-a-half to get in... so I was tired, in pain and thirsty before I was even into the actual event.

chrismk - are you the same guy from the 'other' forum, by any chance? :P
TurkFox

Postby chrismk on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:50 pm

TurkFox wrote:chrismk - are you the same guy from the 'other' forum, by any chance? :P

Indeed
:)

I go by this nick on MANY event forums
chrismk

Postby Trialia on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:47 am

chrismk wrote:
TurkFox wrote:chrismk - are you the same guy from the 'other' forum, by any chance? :P

Indeed
:)

I go by this nick on MANY event forums

Hey guys :D Me too.

And yeah... unless they manage to get Edward James Olmos back or Mary McDonnell, or expand into a MUCH bigger space, I probably won't go again either. I'm not going just to have my shoulder dislocated by some over-enthusiastic fellow cosplayer fighting his way through a crowd or nearly pass out from heatstroke because there are too many people. I was on crowd-phobic overload by Sunday afternoon.
Trialia

Postby Admin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 am

As someone has already mentioned elsewhere there are many contributing factors to layout, size of hall and so on.

Most people seem to come on the Saturday which swamps the venue, on the Sunday there are still many people in attendance but it is spread more evenly.

Yes the event grows every time we run it and has continued to do so.

We have expanded the event space drastically over the last 2 to 3 events.

We can only expand floor space when we have the elements to put into it and taking into consideration that the Sunday is quieter this has an impact on the decisions made.

The event coming up in October is already booked to have a larger floor space but considering what we have planned already I would imagine that will be just as busy or even busier.

We do understand that people want more space but as I have said there are many factors to consider which we always do.

Until we reach the whole of one side of the venue which will not be unbelievable then we will always hit a sticking point but then we will most likely hit the same problem again!

London MCM Expo is a success and this is easily seen by the large number of people who attend and the number is rising show on show, other events in the UK do not have this problem as their numbers are not rising as if they were they would be having this problem also.

It is not a point of management as you can never see the future so you can never see how many people will buy tickets on the days of the event.

We offer so much FREE once you get into the event, such as the goodie bags, demos, stage talks, gaming, DDR to name a few things, people want this!

We are now supported by major companies both in the Film and Gaming market markets who do not support other events unless it is to give them a few banners or posters, so a lot of industry people attend Expo now.

Expo is likened to another event that takes place in the US very frequently, if on a smaller scale and if we can continue to achieve some of what they have then everyone will have an experience that you can get know where else in the UK event industry!

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby sjbonnar on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:23 pm

More expansion is always a good thing! I will say something though, when the queue is getting smaller, around 1 or 2PM, maybe something could be done with the hall that's used for queuing? I know it would be awkward to set more things up actually DURING the event, but it was odd struggling for 20 minutes just to get to the door to expo to go outside for a breather and to walk a few steps and find a near-empty hall next door LOL

Like I said, the practicality would be an issue, but if things could be moved, it would be incredible.

OR hell, just put some screens in there and throw down a bunch of chairs or beanbags so that people have somewhere to sit but can still be part of the expo?

Don't know LOL Just springboarding some ideas ^_^'
sjbonnar

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 pm

Lol I love how Admin's replies always end up as big speeches about what Expo offers.

They're like politicians :lol:

All kidding aside - we're all fully aware of what Expo offers etc. That's not an issue here.

What the issue here is that if you're going to continue to expand, you need to have a far better idea of how many people will turn up, and how to manage them.

Clearly it's putting a fair amount of people off, regardless of what we're there for.

Yes, you can tell me that feedback has been positive etc, and of course it has been. But at the end of the day, there's still problems. No show is perfect, and my enjoyment of the event would be far greater if I felt I could turn up and breathe for a start lol
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Adziu on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:14 pm

Free DDR? If you can EVER get on it...
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Admin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:55 pm

Sean do you have any concept of what you are saying?

That basically we should remove one of the metal walls to expand the hall after the people or stands or exhibits have already been set up, approved by the Health and Safety official, The centre management, Fire Officer and so on, then only for the afternoon.

Changed the agreed use of the separate hall to the same use as the main hall, basically this can not be done.

Admin

sjbonnar wrote:More expansion is always a good thing! I will say something though, when the queue is getting smaller, around 1 or 2PM, maybe something could be done with the hall that's used for queuing? I know it would be awkward to set more things up actually DURING the event, but it was odd struggling for 20 minutes just to get to the door to expo to go outside for a breather and to walk a few steps and find a near-empty hall next door LOL

Like I said, the practicality would be an issue, but if things could be moved, it would be incredible.

OR hell, just put some screens in there and throw down a bunch of chairs or beanbags so that people have somewhere to sit but can still be part of the expo?

Don't know LOL Just springboarding some ideas ^_^'
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:58 pm

No, it is not about politics, it is about making sure that the facts are portrayed correctly without grey areas if possible.

Ok, can you tell us how we can tell how many people will turn up for the event without us making it a pre booked event which we will not do?

Admin

GottaHaveFaith wrote:Lol I love how Admin's replies always end up as big speeches about what Expo offers.

They're like politicians :lol:

All kidding aside - we're all fully aware of what Expo offers etc. That's not an issue here.

What the issue here is that if you're going to continue to expand, you need to have a far better idea of how many people will turn up, and how to manage them.

Clearly it's putting a fair amount of people off, regardless of what we're there for.

Yes, you can tell me that feedback has been positive etc, and of course it has been. But at the end of the day, there's still problems. No show is perfect, and my enjoyment of the event would be far greater if I felt I could turn up and breathe for a start lol
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:59 pm

Is the DDR not free already?

Admin

Adziu wrote:Free DDR? If you can EVER get on it...
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Adziu on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:42 pm

You may have misunderstood; I was repeating what was just said rather than making a suggestion.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Admin on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:33 am

Sorry, my mistake Ad

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alanna_Krynia on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Okay..This was my first expo...But it most definatly was over crowded xD... I was getting many sowrds and spears in my face everywhere i turned =D ... We even had to leave early cause we were with a younger person and they didnt like being in all the crowds fighting to get anywhere lol..
It was fine up until about 12 though..
Alanna_Krynia

Postby eslupmi on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:02 am

Alanna_Krynia wrote:... I was getting many sowrds and spears in my face everywhere i turned =D ...

same here, i dodged loads of weapons to stop them from slapping me in the face it was that packed!
~ANTY~

eslupmi is impulse spelt backwards!
eslupmi

Postby Admin on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:34 am

Alanna_Krynia wrote:Okay..This was my first expo...But it most definatly was over crowded xD... I was getting many sowrds and spears in my face everywhere i turned =D ... We even had to leave early cause we were with a younger person and they didnt like being in all the crowds fighting to get anywhere lol..
It was fine up until about 12 though..

Hi

Take it you attended on the Saturday?

Saturday is always the busiest day of the weekend and the Sunday is a little quieter.

The gets busier every time we do and I would imagine will continue to do so.

We enlarge the floor space at every event and have done so for at least the past 3 to 4.

Can I suggest that you attend on the Sunday, I realise that this might not be convenient but you are more likely to be assured to be in less of a crowd.

The only way we can ask people to look at it is that we allow for a certain amount of space at each event, then the event gets bigger, so we then allow more at the next one.

We can only enlarge when it is financially and logistically viable.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2008