Do you think the Expo's are too crowded now?

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories

are the expo's over crowded now?

Yes
70%
No
4%
Why should over crowding make a difference?
10%
The more the merrier, regardless of how big it gets
16%

Total votes : 122

Re: Do you think the Expo's are too crowded now?

Postby chrismk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:56 pm

Admin wrote:Ok, can you tell us how we can tell how many people will turn up for the event without us making it a pre booked event which we will not do?

Admin

Well you know how many pre-booked tickets you sold and you know how many you sold on the day, which would give you a ratio of pre-booked to on the day tickets. If you apply that ratio to the number of pre-booked tickets for the next event, it should give you a rough idea of how many people will attend.
chrismk

Postby Tonyo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:35 am

I was doing my usual wander around the place and at 1.30pm, the queue was still massive.. this says it all.. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gS4RmsaiDuU
Tonyo

Postby Admin on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:26 am

Right well as we have said, it gets busier every event.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tonyo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Admin wrote:Right well as we have said, it gets busier every event.

Admin

That means in October, the ExCeL will be extending the walls out again to make more room, right?
Tonyo

Postby Admin on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:46 am

It is not a point of sorting our act out.

If you have any insight or knowledge into running an event you would realise that there are many parameters that have to be adhered to which involve many different departments and above all logistics and cost!

We can as keeps getting said here only add size when it is logistically and financially possible.

We have to take into account both days of the event not just the Saturday when looking at floor space.

Everyone has the choice of visiting either one or both days which means if they feel it is to crowded for them on the Saturday then we always suggest that they visit on the Sunday which is still busy but not as crowded.

In answer to the point raised above yes the floor space has been enlarged for October.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:01 pm

It may seem like a small area but the event is ion a very large area.

The closeness of the people is because so many people attend.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:23 pm

It's too small for the number of people. That's the point.

Please don't be so defensive about the show - this is feedback from attendees that have experienced just how claustrophobic it is.

You're happy taking as much money as you can, and the show being a success etc, which is great! Im very glad for you that all this change has worked out well. But you CAN be a victim of your own success.

You need to estimate better the number of people attending. Surely it's better to have a little too much space so then people have breathing space?

Or you need to limit the numbers coming in if you can't cope. It's just not safe.
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Admin on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:15 am

GottaHaveFaith wrote:You need to estimate better the number of people attending. Surely it's better to have a little too much space so then people have breathing space?

Or you need to limit the numbers coming in if you can't cope. It's just not safe.

The whole event is contstantly monitored by the Health and Saftety also the fire officers.

It is there call as to whether the numbers are to high at any time.

People tend to congregate in certain areas which make those areas look over crowded, for instance the entrance we try to move people through the event but people stay by the entrance inside the main doors and also around the Anime Village area.

We estimate numbers and apply this to the future event, once we have opened the current event there is nothing that we can do.

As I have said earlier and it is not that I am being defensive about the events I make the same point which is, we have to consider foot fall on the Sunday as well as the Saturday not just on one day.

When the above foot fall is taken in to account spread across the weekend then that is one of the ways we come to the floor space needed not the only one.

The event space for this May 08 event was larger than for the October 07 event and the October 08 floor space will go up again subject to new additions we have in the pipeline.

As I said if some people feel that the Saturday is a little busy for them then I would suggest visiting on the Sunday which is a little less crowded, granted this may not be convenient for everyone but the fact is the event is popular and getting more so, so I would imagine this subject will come up again and again.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby exetervillafc on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:29 am

Admin wrote:
GottaHaveFaith wrote:You need to estimate better the number of people attending. Surely it's better to have a little too much space so then people have breathing space?

As I said if some people feel that the Saturday is a little busy for them then I would suggest visiting on the Sunday which is a little less crowded, granted this may not be convenient for everyone but the fact is the event is popular and getting more so, so I would imagine this subject will come up again and again.

Admin

The reason for us coming on Saturday (we usally come on a Sunday) was if Edward ddin't like the event he might not of turned up on the Sunday.
exetervillafc

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:10 pm

And as I've said elsewhere - unfortunately Sundays are usually the most inconvenient day of the week for travel in terms of engineering work etc .. hence why a lot of people go on Saturdays.

I know there's not much you can do about that obviously, but it's certainly a strong factor that comes up around every event.
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Admin on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:19 pm

We are sorry if you find it harder to attend on a Sunday but many 1000's of other people manage to get there.

If Edward was not attending on the Sunday we would have told people in advance.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 pm

Well good for them.

I'm sure many of them spend the whole weekend there, or live local etc.

But I guess we'll never really know :)
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Admin on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Well it is an option open to everyone, sorry if it does not apply to you.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Loveless on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:19 am

All I can say is thank god people were allowed to loiter in the halls, otherwise they might have actually collapsed. Came to a point where sweat dripped off my fingers like an open tap because the air-con was so bad inside the event itself. I really felt for other Remnants/KH cosplayers in Organisation XIII coats - saying Hello mainly consisted of a desperate gasp of air once outside.

Other than almost suffocating, it was a great weekend.
Loveless

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:42 am

I don't think anyone should really be forced to either attend on Sunday, or attend the whole weekend, just to feel comfort.

I think we should be able to attend on a Saturday and feel we can enjoy the experience surely?
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Admin on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:53 pm

GottaHaveFaith wrote:I don't think anyone should really be forced to either attend on Sunday, or attend the whole weekend, just to feel comfort.

I think we should be able to attend on a Saturday and feel we can enjoy the experience surely?

GottaHaveFaith

I am at a loss to say anymore to you regarding the event!

I have answered as many points as I can, addressed issues if they have arisen and offered you options but you are still not happy or willing to accept the answers.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Oh I don't expect you to be able to answer everything, and make everything ok right now.

I certainly appreciate your efforts in terms of trying to respond to people :)

However I do strongly feel that attendees should be able to go to Expo on whichever day they would like to, without feeling they'll be having a rough claustrophobic experience.

It shouldn't be a case that I have to go on a Sunday. The Saturday should be just as accessible and pleasant. And I hope in future it can be.
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Alanna_Krynia on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Well I think in a way..Its good to meet alot of people there...I'd rather go and see everyone..than go and not see many people (if that makes sense) ... But it was probably my own fault that we got stuck in the crowds... Because i didn't know until after i got home that everyone actually hangs outside the expo place... O_o next time I will definatly get some lunch and sit outside when it gets too much (before going back in of course >=] )
Alanna_Krynia

Postby joleslie on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:19 pm

If there were remotely enough space then hundreds of people would not have to 'hang out' in the ExCeL hallway because there was not enough room for them to do so inside.
joleslie

Postby Admin on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:31 am

There is a lot of space within the Expo event, as I have said many people tend to congregate in certain areas that causes bottle necks.

The bottlenecks tend to be in the most awkward areas for instance the main entrance, this is what causes the problems when trying to get around.

We have answered these points many times already.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2008