An autograph collectors report

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories.

An autograph collectors report

Postby exetervillafc on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:08 pm

My Expo report

My day started so well got to the Excel Centre at 7amish, this time there was big signs to let you know were to go, spoke to a helpful steward (one of the only ones) and asked if they could sell the smilelys outside as they did last time. So about an half hour later they were back selling smilelys which was great and makes it alot easier for us collectors, after getting 15 I waited until 9am and low and behold the doors opened on time.

The event went downhill from then on, after getting in I went straight to the Heroes area and was told they would not start signing until 10am and come back then, so then over to the BSG area and was told the same. Also noticed Ben Barns wasn't signing until 11am, so over to get the talk tickets, picked up Demons, then tried to pick up Merlin and was told that they would be given out at 11am, the tried for Primeval and was told that they would be given out at 12 noon. Then saw someone with a raffle ticket low and behold they were giving out VTs for Heroes, so after asking the same steward what was going on he gave me a ticket and told me to go away, and then the BSG were also giving out VTs and the same thing happen again! At 10am went into the Heroes queue/mess and picked up all the autos I wanted, then over to queue for the Merlin tickets and at 11am I got that one, then back to the BSG guests, by the time I got there Michael had stopped signing because he had run out of single shots (great), more photos came and as I was 4 ppl away from meeting him he stood up and said “they have only run out of photos again” so he then came and spoke to us and then told us he was going for a little timeout while more photos were printed off. Before Michael came back a few of us met the lovely Susan and then went back into the queue, after about 15 mins Michael came back with a fair few photos, so I got the items I wanted signed. Then off to the Primeval queue and waited till 12noon for the tickets.

Then off to the Demons talk so I could finally sit down at the back listen to the talk and have something to eat and drink. We were then told they were doing a signing but the chap didn't say where, but I over heard a steward saying it was happening behind the Heroes signing area. After a 45 mins wait the guys turned up, and signed a very nice shot which was good. I then went outside for a chill out after getting being bumped into by ppl with no manners. Back in the hall for the Merlin talk again very good and at the end was told that the guys would be signing straight away, so back to the Heroes area, waited for about 10/15mins only to be told that they would not be signing until 4pm and was told that I would need a stamp for the Primeval talk which I couldn't go to because we were told Merlin would be signing after the talk. So over to get my rose stamp for the Primeval signing and the got back to were we were queuing only 5 mins before that the queue had moved and I had to go to the back (wonderful).

Just before the signing started a few of us at the back were then told we had to move for H&S, so I then moved into the Primeval queue, but after a couple of mins to move back because the Merlin guys had started to sign. After meeting 4 very nice guests then over to the Primeval signing, and the queue seemed to take so long, but at 5:20 I finally met them, then off to try and catch my bus at Victoria and made it with 5 mins to spare. So all in all I got everything I wanted, but it was a battle to get.

Pros
Got all the autos
Free autos
Signs at the front door
Let in on time
Smilely sold outside

Cons
Had to queue for everything
VTs given out and no boards up to say what number they were up to
Rude stewards for every 1 nice steward there was 10 rude ones
Stewards not knowing what were going on and therefore unhelpful
Guests not signing until 1 to 2 hours after the doors opening
Too many ppl making it very hard to get anywhere
Too noisy so couldn’t hear some of the talks
Last edited by exetervillafc on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exetervillafc

Re: An autograph collectors report

Postby ruka on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:12 pm

you might want to use paragraphs, the wall of text hurt so I just read the pros and cons.

sounds fun :)
ruka

Postby Lenrir59 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Break that wall down into smaller chunks, hurts to read and I lost track 5 times.
Lenrir59

Postby ruka on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:15 pm

we're the expo, we can't handle criticism :lol:
ruka

Postby Lenrir59 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:15 pm

ruka wrote:we're the expo, we can't handle criticism :lol:

Criticsm isn't in the expo vocabulary, just 'praise'.
Lenrir59

Postby exetervillafc on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:51 pm

ruka wrote:you might want to use paragraphs, the wall of text hurt so I just read the pros and cons.

Lenrir59 wrote:Break that wall down into smaller chunks, hurts to read and I lost track 5 times.

Post has been edited. Hopefully a little better and this was me a little calmed down!
exetervillafc

Postby Reser on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:56 pm

exetervillafc wrote:
ruka wrote:you might want to use paragraphs, the wall of text hurt so I just read the pros and cons.

Lenrir59 wrote:Break that wall down into smaller chunks, hurts to read and I lost track 5 times.

Post has been edited. Hopefully a little better and this was me a little calmed down!

by smaller chunks it is meant you should break it down into several paragraphs and put a line between each one, a big wall of text like that is annoying to read.
Reser

Postby exetervillafc on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Reser wrote:
exetervillafc wrote:

by smaller chunks it is meant you should break it down into several paragraphs and put a line between each one, a big wall of text like that is annoying to read.

Has been edited again hopefully this time it should be ok. :-)
exetervillafc

Postby reddragon on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:57 pm

I felt the same - I was there by 8.45, no smilies sold outside.

Was told to wait until 11 before anyone was signing, no VT list up(there were people in some of the q's I was sent from who had higher vts than I did! And that was before running to q for Merlin and Primevil tickets.

At 5.30 I left, pleased that I had everyone I came for but really needed to go before then to get out of London. Finally arrived home at 23.30 after a very long day.
reddragon

Postby Admin-2 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:15 pm

Sorry if things were a little unclear, the important thing I believe is that as an autograph collector you got what you wanted and most of it for FREE.

Hopefully we you will feel we have done better next time.
London MCM Expo - Admin~2
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby exetervillafc on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 am

Admin-2 wrote:Sorry if things were a little unclear, the important thing I believe is that as an autograph collector you got what you wanted and most of it for FREE.

Hopefully we you will feel we have done better next time.

FREE?

15 Smilelys (£225)I don't call that free do you?

Also the amount of hassle getting the autos, it doesn't seem you understand what goes on from our point of view!

You always say that you will do better the next time, but after the last 3 shows you have been saying this, but for the collector it has been getting worse.
exetervillafc

Postby Admin-2 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:41 am

I feel you need to tone down your message as I was clearly responding to someone else and my point is still very valid Merlin, Primeval, Demons, Brad Swailie, Ben Templesmith & Athony Johnson were all free. If you chose to then spend money it is a personal choice.

I will check back shortly in the hope that you have reread your email as it's tone is not necessary. If you have a point to make you can do so.
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby exetervillafc on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:59 am

Admin-2 wrote:I feel you need to tone down your message as I was clearly responding to someone else and my point is still very valid Merlin, Primeval, Demons, Brad Swailie, Ben Templesmith & Athony Johnson were all free. If you chose to then spend money it is a personal choice.

I will check back shortly in the hope that you have reread your email as it's tone is not necessary. If you have a point to make you can do so.

I am sorry I thought you were responing to my first post

Sorry again.
exetervillafc

Postby majin_lyndon on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:34 pm

I think the Expo improved considerably on last time. There was much more space available for queuing and buying smileys, and the guests were easy to find.

That said I would suggest next time to put some signs up detailing when the guests are going to show up. Honestly 90% of the problems I had on the weekend would have been fixed with some oh-so-simple signs.
majin_lyndon

Postby Admin-2 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 pm

majin_lyndon wrote:I think the Expo improved considerably on last time. There was much more space available for queuing and buying smileys, and the guests were easy to find.

That said I would suggest next time to put some signs up detailing when the guests are going to show up. Honestly 90% of the problems I had on the weekend would have been fixed with some oh-so-simple signs.

Agreed this would help and should have happend.
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby Catmoo on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:52 am

Must say I thought it seemed a lot less organised than it did last year, probably due to the Heroes guests though. But I got everything I wanted, so I don't mind that most of the crew were un-informed :) they should all get cute walkie talkies or something :)

Although I wasn't too fond of the fact that I asked Susan if I could get a photo with her, as it was the end of the day and it was really quiet and she loved the idea and didn't mind at all, but then the crew member next to her just said no :( Isn't it the guest's decision to this? Or is it not at Expo?

Susan was so nice and apologetic about it after the girl said no though, which was nice :).
Catmoo

Postby Admin-2 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:21 am

The best way to look at any guest is they will whoever they are be apologetic, but in some cases it is the helper that gets to be the bad guy because the guest does not want to be the bad guy. So you can never be sure why or who is saying NO.

It can be the helper saying NO, so the only person you are going to be upset with is the helper.

Does that make sense.
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby Admin-2 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:28 pm

Please do read my message above is says "in some cases"

There are always more reasons but the fact remains "No posed photos means no posed photos".
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby Neko-Chan on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:52 pm

i was quite happy the ques where worth the wait just to meet people, especially Svetlana, greg and Brad! i must say £15 is sometimes a bit too much especially when some of that goes towards printing of photos and sometimes people dont want the actual photos signed. I was lucky Greg was so nice to do both for me anyway. but yeah queing for 2 hours to get svetlanas autograph was well worth the wait, the que was organised. just hurt on the feet a bit (my legs still hurt from that lol)

the only thing i can say is as stated above i really wish stewards were a little nicer in attitude >.< oh yes. some are nice but only one in 10. a few are yes busy organising. but i went to go into the primeval free signing i asked a steward "Is this the que for the primeval signing, do we have to have something to get signed or do they have something?" and she replied "i Have pictures here. and yes this is the que if you want to line up." so i nicely and cheerfully said "thank you ill line up then." and just before i did she said "no you can't" no reasons no nothing... but she had just stated i could! WTH? i mean the attitude that came with the no you cant was a bit BLEH and nasty, ok she may have had the same thing asked 20 times but ITS A EXPO ITS EXPECTED if they cant handle it they shouldnt be a steward! but i was really anoyed it was the only thing that let down on my entire weekend! :(
Neko-Chan

Postby GottaHaveFaith on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:52 pm

But why is it now 'no posed photos' on EVERY guest now? From what I could see anyway, it's now a standard thing across the board, whether busy or not.

So many people got posed photos anyway, even when some of us respected your rules.

If the crew members are going to allow guests to do it, you might as well just take the 'no posed' sign down so at least all of us can get them. It's a little unfair some just ignore it and do it, while others don't. Surely it should either be YES or NO, no in between.
GottaHaveFaith

Postby Admin-2 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:36 pm

"It's a little unfair some just ignore it and do it, while others don't. Surely it should either be YES or NO, no in between."

If only life was fair.

MCM Expo offers fans so much more beyond other shows and no matter what we do for some it will never be enough. Even when the autographs are FREE it's not enough for some.

This topic comes up a lot and the answers given will never be the right ones. Every show has this problem.

Best to accept and move on.
Admin-2
Site Admin

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - OCTOBER 2008