"FREE ____" Signs.

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories.

Re: "FREE ____" Signs.

Postby Anne Drogenous on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Leavian wrote:I saw some guys with "20p to slap me".

Shoulda gone for the jaw.
:D
Anne Drogenous

Postby SamW89 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:36 pm

I've gotta say, I really didn't find the Free ____ signs a problem. Sure I saw a million and two of them, including variations like "If you don't hug me, you are Kira" but nothing anywhere near as bad as Free Sex. I just ignored most of the signs, and not a single one of them gave me any trouble... Think I had two, maybe three people, all weekend who actually came up and asked for one but I just politely declined and they just said "OK", smiled and walked away.

Having said that though, I did see some little dipshit tackle the badass Master Chief costume on Sunday. I mean properly slam into him. Man did that kid ever get yelled at. Didn't seem to be carrying any sign though, just some punk kid trying to look cool.

Maybe I just didn't encounter the worst ones, eh?
SamW89

Postby Trialia on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 pm

millenia wrote:...since I got thrown to the ground backwards by a thirteen-year-old anime fan who thought my cosplay was the real thing (Gaara, oct expo '06). I've had four major spinal injuries in childhood, and free huggers/glompers can't be expected to know each individual persons' condition, so it was pretty dangerous (not to mention sore). Needless to say I'm freaked out by huggers and glompers now!

The policy should be Ask First, Hug Later... :P :)

You said it! I have chronic neuropathic pain due to spinal damage, along with scoliosis, fibromyalgia and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, type hypermobility. In May a fellow cosplayer slammed into me so hard while running through the foyer that he dislocated my shoulder, and didn't stop to apologise - I don't think he even noticed. The previous October, someone did the same thing when giving me a 'free hug'.

I don't object to 'Free Hugs'... I just like to be asked first or to be able to ask. The 'free rape' BS is another story altogether. I was so angry about that particular sign I'd have gone incoherent if I had tried to say anything, and didn't want to be arrested for actively assaulting them, which was another option in my mind :P
Trialia

Postby red pill on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:28 pm

SamW89 wrote:I've gotta say, I really didn't find the Free ____ signs a problem. Sure I saw a million and two of them, including variations like "If you don't hug me, you are Kira" but nothing anywhere near as bad as Free Sex. I just ignored most of the signs, and not a single one of them gave me any trouble... Think I had two, maybe three people, all weekend who actually came up and asked for one but I just politely declined and they just said "OK", smiled and walked away.

Having said that though, I did see some little dipshit tackle the badass Master Chief costume on Sunday. I mean properly slam into him. Man did that kid ever get yelled at. Didn't seem to be carrying any sign though, just some punk kid trying to look cool.

Maybe I just didn't encounter the worst ones, eh?

yea, i never saw any free sex ones (sept struck through). althoug i did see free snogs. so...but i dont mind free high signs, or vartions there off. as long as people ask, and are nice, and stuff (i only huged peeps if i asked, and if thay had a free hugs scine. sept for th peeps i jamed with at the end of sunday, but...im talking . agine XD)
red pill

Postby Leavian on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Kinda related but some kid stood on the trail of Kazzie-momo's dress and pulled her wig off... little . Needless to say that really deserved a slap. Okay the skirt on the dress was already tatters but ... wasn't a free hug sign peep but kinda like the master chief thing.
P.S. that guy looked awesome xD
Leavian

Postby Gandalf_LostTheGame on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:27 pm

Leeniebop wrote:I would love to see how many of them would actually follow through. If only I had the acting ability to go up to one of them, completely straight faced, and said "free sex? okay, my hotel room is 209. I gotta pick up this manga first but I'll meet you up there in 20 minutes, alright?"

You can just guarantee that they'd all run a mile. ;)

I am so doing that in May :D

Also who was going on about doctors clinic signs?

JOIN THE ANTI-HUG CRUSADE :D
didn't seem to work to well...
Apparently
Free Hugs = No-one takes notice
Don't Hug Him He has an Erection -> = People want to hug you (it was worrying me @_@)

The other Anti-hug crusade sign:
Expensive Hug

But also the signs seem to follow a certain trend of people I seemed to of also noticed a dramatic increase of.

But I think the same rules that we discussed should apply to the Yaoi guy should also apply to the "FREE ____ "signs
There are children around with parents and it's not a great thing for them to see.
Started attending Expo's: October 2005
Expo's attended: 10
Times Cosplayed: 0
Gandalf_LostTheGame

Postby Tonyo on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:41 pm

Leeniebop wrote:I would love to see how many of them would actually follow through. If only I had the acting ability to go up to one of them, completely straight faced, and said "free sex? okay, my hotel room is 209. I gotta pick up this manga first but I'll meet you up there in 20 minutes, alright?"

209??? I don't want that sort of thing happening 5 rooms down from me. :D
Tonyo

Postby Raye-chan on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 pm

I saw a cute girl with a free hugs sign, a strange old guy with the same sign, then some girls handing out free sweets! All random. Anyway if people want hugs all they need to do is ask! I cosplay'd on Saturday as Kanu Unchou and a Kanu fan just ran up to me asking for my photo (or course i said yes) and then we hugged! Then he wanted to know where I got my Hakufu bag and i let him run off to find one!! - all good fun i say I felt so smitten!! ^.^ Image
Never, Never, Never Give Up :3
Raye-chan

Postby Lenrir59 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:26 am

Gandalf_LostTheGame wrote:

I am so doing that in May :D

Also who was going on about doctors clinic signs?

JOIN THE ANTI-HUG CRUSADE :D
didn't seem to work to well...
Apparently
Free Hugs = No-one takes notice
Don't Hug Him He has an Erection -> = People want to hug you (it was worrying me @_@)

The other Anti-hug crusade sign:
Expensive Hug

But also the signs seem to follow a certain trend of people I seemed to of also noticed a dramatic increase of.

But I think the same rules that we discussed should apply to the Yaoi guy should also apply to the "FREE ____ "signs
There are children around with parents and it's not a great thing for them to see.

That was me XD

Since my character form Touhou (Eirin) is a Pharmacist. Im going to do 2-3 signs saying:

'Free Medicine'
'Free Doctors Consultancy'
Free Consultancy for Glompees/Free-Hugzees!'
Lenrir59

Postby Miruki. on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 am

I like the "Free Pocky" one xD It was yummy lol
Miruki.

Postby FreeHugsRule! on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:41 pm

i only ever saw free hugs sign... so i hugged ppl lol that was fun :D

did they hire someone to stand around all day in the middle???... obviously i hugged him :)
FreeHugsRule!

Postby gracciieechan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 pm

haahahha ye same..I only saw the 'free hugs' guy in the middle...I was surprised to read that ther were rape and sex ones lol....
gracciieechan

Postby VeggieXD on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 pm

I don't even hug the Free Hug signs, they probably have AIDs =P
VeggieXD

Postby gracciieechan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:41 pm

VeggieXD wrote:I don't even hug the Free Hug signs, they probably have AIDs =P

hahaha 'AIDS' - bit harsh lol :?
gracciieechan

Postby Yatak on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:42 pm

VeggieXD wrote:I don't even hug the Free Hug signs, they probably have AIDs =P

Gotta love that new strain of 'breath aids'.
Yatak

Postby sir_auronDX on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:14 am

some people are desperate enough for attention.
maybe their girlfriend left them or their family beats them.

i say...free hugs should be banned....yeah im making a sign like that for may...
ban free hugs....
also if its any help i saw authoritys on some photos...teach them a lesson and point the authoritys to them....also the staff should really check the signs
sir_auronDX

Postby sir_auronDX on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:16 am

although the next person to glomp me or something will get glomped in the face...by my fist

free hugs is the cancer killing anime fans

also if you do this?....let me continue my rant...if you do this...it's not original you're doing the same thing as almost everyone else is around there...especially if you dressed up as a naruto costume you bought from e-bay...way to jump on the bandwagon

yeah i went there
sir_auronDX

Postby ShurikenFire on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:47 am

sir_auronDX wrote:some people are desperate enough for attention.

i say...free hugs should be banned....yeah im making a sign like that for may...
ban free hugs....
also if its any help i saw authoritys on some photos...teach them a lesson and point the authoritys to them....also the staff should really check the signs

-Joins the 'Ban Free Hugs' bandwagon-
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby fia_x on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:21 pm

ShurikenFire wrote:
sir_auronDX wrote:some people are desperate enough for attention.

ban free hugs....

-Joins the 'Ban Free Hugs' bandwagon-

-Ban Free ANYTHING-
fia_x

Postby Yatak on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:40 pm

fia_x wrote:
-Ban Free ANYTHING-

D:, what about free goodie bags... the bag was usefull. I would also accept free money.
Yatak

Postby fia_x on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Yatak wrote:
fia_x wrote:
-Ban Free ANYTHING-

D:, what about free goodie bags... the bag was usefull. I would also accept free money.

The goodie bags? They were awful from what I heard.
Expo eats our money. There's no such thing as free money. Not in this life.
fia_x

Postby Yatak on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 pm

fia_x wrote:
Yatak wrote:
fia_x wrote:
-Ban Free ANYTHING-

The goodie bags? They were awful from what I heard.
Expo eats our money. There's no such thing as free money. Not in this life.

The goodie bags were fine for something that was free, alot of junk mail but the sneak peeks inside were ok. I mainly just used the bag since my costume had no pockets :D, now THAT was usefull.
Yatak

Postby Emjin on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:57 pm

I took my 9 year old sister with me (on our own, and it took a long time to get my mum to trust me) And then having to walk round with "Free snogs" (the girl looked like 17) and then "Free drugs" sign?? It seems to get a little worse every year, so I'm not sure whether to take her again.. If it's a family event then mods should have the right to take these signs away.
Emjin

Postby Nekoni on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:39 pm

I held up a sign.

Psychological test. It was a 'free cruddy sign' sign. It took about 15 seconds before someone hugged me... no-one seemed to want to sign itself. =(

I was meant to make an advanced sign (as in, one that'd take two days to make) with useful stuff like 'deviantart ninjas' or 'I'm with stupid' on it for photoshoots; I don't understand why no-one makes signs like that, ones that caption their photos! It'd be much cooler.

About the 'free rape' and 'free drugs' signs. It's simple. Take a can of spray paint. Ask to look at their sign. Spray over it.

Can they complain to the organisers? 'Hey, this cosplayer sprayed over my 'free rape' sign, that's sooo unfair!' - just doesn't make them seem like the good guy.

We'll all be like Batman if we do that, tackling the evils of Gotham city! (while the Joker strolls past looking awesome)
Nekoni

Postby Chane Laforet on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:50 am

sunny1r wrote:i even saw people at the manga area using the paper and pens to do Free Hug signs, an abuse of stationery?

Yeah I sat there drawing lots on sunday cause my bf was working there and so many irritating little free hugs people came wasting shítloads of paper I wanted to take a chainsaw to them but I didn't have one with me, so I drew me killing them instead.
Chane Laforet

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - OCTOBER 2008