DDR:UK to hold a Rock Band tournament - Info inside!

This is the area where you can discuss the various gaming and computer companies who attend the London MCM Expo and their products

DDR:UK to hold a Rock Band tournament - Info inside!

Postby wildfireskunk on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:23 am

An announcement for all of you budding Rock Stars out there! DDR:UK is going to be holding a Rock Band competition at their stand on the Sunday of October Expo. As long as you have a full band of 4, and the spirit of rock in your souls, anyone of any skill is welcome to enter! There will be a small cost of £2 per person for entry, but looking at the prizes... are you going to complain? And there will be awesome prizes for the winning band. In fact, here's the list of what the best band of the day shall be taking home with them:

- One Omegapedal for the drummer
- 2 'Shadowman special*' Custom guitar controllers for the guitarists
- One customised microphone with microphone stand for the singer

*Shadowman being the tournament host, the guitars won't be based on the N64 game I'm afraid! And it won't just be a custom pain job you're getting on these babies...

So, were they as awesome as you hoped?

Any questions, suggestions, or general chat... in here!

Rock Band Tournament 2008

Tournament entry will begin on sunday from when the expo is open. The stand will be on the usual freeplay all day, but everyone playing will have the option of entering the tournament. You need a full band of 4 people to do this, and you will have to play a specific song that will be randomly selected from the following list on the day.

Celebrity Skin
Dead on Arrival
Dani California
Hysteria
I think I'm Paranoid
Learn to Fly
Wanted Dead or Alive
When You Were Young

All of the scores of the participating bands will be written on a whiteboard that can be seen by all, until 2:00pm. Come then the bands with the top 4 scores will be contacted, and will get through to the knockout stage.

Each of the remaining bands will select 2 songs from any available on the game, and the organiser will write the 8 songs picked on the whiteboard, along with each of the bands which are left. Each band then has to pick a 3 song setlist from those 8 songs, but can only choose one of their own songs. Each band will take it in turns to perform their set, with the overall scores of the 3 songs being taken down. Once all bands have done this the 2 bands with the top overall scores will go down to a Rock Off! From the remaining 5 songs they will create a 3 song setlist, with the winner of this being crowned Expo Rock Gods!

General Rules

Each band member is stuck to their instrument, and is unable to swap with any bandmates. This includes the guitarists.

The vocalist actually has to sing the song, as anyone found just humming along for any length of the song will get their band disqualified!

There will be one Rock Band guitar, and one Guitar Hero 2 guitar available for the competition, so argue who gets what with your bandmate in advance! (Due to the difficulties in changing the controllers over for everyone with a specific liking for one kind of guitar, we are unfortunately unable to switch, so you'll have to make do.)

Any difficulty can be used, but obviously the harder difficulty you play the higher your potential score.

When it comes to song choices at the end, 90% of the DLC should be available for use. Shall post closer to the time what has been made available.

15-10-08 Edit

Due to time restrictions certain songs have been disallowed as picks if you get through to the top 4. These are generally the songs that go on for significantly longer than any of the others, and are as follows:

-And Justice for all
-Blackened
-Ride the Lightning
-Won't Get Fooled Again
-Sleepwalker
-Foreplay/long time
-Green Grass and High Tides

Depending on what is purchased in DLC before the event there may be more songs added to that list. I've been promised a list of what DLC he won't have in time for the expo, as a rampage is going on as we speak, and songs are being downloaded left right and centre.

Also... Prizes have been updated at the top of the post! :D
Last edited by wildfireskunk on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
wildfireskunk

Re: DDR:UK to hold a Rock Band tournament - Info inside!

Postby Arkayen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:44 am

What time is the RB tournie being held? A few people wanting to enter also want to enter the masquerade...
MCM Expo Message Board Moderator

Arkayen
Board Moderator

Postby Commander J on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Hawt Dayum.

Too bad most of those songs suck... but I'll have to live with it.
Commander J

Postby wildfireskunk on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Those are the songs we have chosen because they're all pretty popular, and everyone should know at least one of them, and thus have no problems having a go :)

And @ Arkayen, it's kinda on all day. Play whatever the randomly picked song is as a band, and then if you're in the top 4 bands you'll need to be there from 2pm till it ends/you get knocked out!
wildfireskunk

Postby Commander J on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 pm

wildfireskunk wrote:Those are the songs we have chosen because they're all pretty popular, and everyone should know at least one of them, and thus have no problems having a go :)

That's out of EVERY track pack as well right since I'm pretty sure there should be just more than just those songs that would be popular I would of thought... I thought at least one of the Roadrunner Records songs would at least be in there or even Toxicity from the SOAD singles.
Commander J

Postby Urotsukidoji on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:17 am

Aye i agree with the above poster and i played all of these songs and the scores vary so much, so im not sure how this would really work unless there was a set list that every group had to do or something, but on another note are singer is quite good and who thought it would be my mates mum, if only she would come to the expo :)
Urotsukidoji

Postby Arkayen on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:41 pm

How about making this more female friendly hun? And clashing again with the bloody masquerade takes a lot of people out of it ¬¬
MCM Expo Message Board Moderator

Arkayen
Board Moderator

Postby MasakoX on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Aww man, I'd love to take part in this - but I ain't got a band. v_v
MasakoX

Postby El capitano on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:49 pm

Arkayen wrote:How about making this more female friendly hun? And clashing again with the bloody masquerade takes a lot of people out of it ¬¬

Female friendly..Hate to sound rude..But what are you on about?

Masako - Same here D= I can expert drum most of those songs fairly well, but lack friends who can play anything above easy >_>; And none of them will sing.
El capitano

Postby MasakoX on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:28 pm

El capitano wrote:
Arkayen wrote:How about making this more female friendly hun? And clashing again with the bloody masquerade takes a lot of people out of it ¬¬

Masako - Same here D= I can expert drum most of those songs fairly well, but lack friends who can play anything above easy >_>; And none of them will sing.

Yeah? I sing ALL the time on Rock Band. I can do Hysteria on Expert. :3 Wanna see if we can get a band together?
MasakoX

Postby El capitano on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:14 pm

MasakoX wrote:
El capitano wrote:

Yeah? I sing ALL the time on Rock Band. I can do Hysteria on Expert. :3 Wanna see if we can get a band together?

Hell yea, if we can get a guitarist and bassist we'll be going good =D
I just gotta practice Dead on Arrival now, it's such a hard song on expert drums D= And knowing my luck, it'll be the one I have to play.

EDIT : I found an expert guitarist who will be there on Sunday =D
El capitano

Postby whitesquall on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:18 am

cant w8 for this tournament ive been playing rockband to death altho i mainly play downloaded songs but yeh it should be fun :D and i dont plan on losing ;) shame the first songs are easy guitar songs but the second round should be awesome since we get to choose :) (i want constant motion, afterlife or pretty much any megadeth song lol :D)
Stopped updating it since RB2 because i stopped playing competitively.
whitesquall

Postby wildfireskunk on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:24 am

Arkayen has brought up a good point about the seeding songlist not being very female friendly. Thus I shall ever so slightly amend it. Taking away Beethovens C*** by popular demand (yeah, putting up a DLC song was pretty silly in hindsight), and adding 'I Think I'm Paranoid', and 'Celebrity Skin' to the roster!

Otherwise, the rest of the songlist looks pretty unisex friendly. Just remember you don't -have- to play it on Expert if you don't want to. Just move down to hard or medium if you think you're going to have trouble with song :D

Also, to clear up a rule there seems to be confusion with - Because there are no 2 songs that as a whole band have the same overall difficulty and maximum score (let alone 8 or 9 of them!), the songlist there is what the potential seeding song will be. Once it's been picked every band will be playing the same song. So at the start of the day we'll be picking one song from that list and every band who comes up will have one chance to get their highest score on that song. So if we end up picking Celebrity Skin at the beginning of the day, every band will be playing Celebrity Skin as to make the possible high scores as fair as we can.

I hope that's cleared things up a little bit! Keep posting ideas and crit, as we're still taking ideas and submissions to make this a rocking tournament! Oh, and we've almost finalised the awesome prizes - expect a post about them by the end of the week ;)
wildfireskunk

Postby Adziu on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:26 pm

I shall drum if need be! Those songs were all ones that didn't provide much in the way of difficulty.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Commander J on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Adziu wrote:I shall drum if need be! Those songs were all ones that didn't provide much in the way of difficulty.

Your hired.
Commander J

Postby El capitano on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Oooh, now that makes more sense - And they've added some easier songs ;D I can keep up with those on expert.
I just dread the idea of getting stuck with Dead on arrival.
Alas, looks like there's more than one band with experts in =D
El capitano

Postby Adziu on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Commander J wrote:
Adziu wrote:I shall drum if need be! Those songs were all ones that didn't provide much in the way of difficulty.

Your hired.

Although that said, I'm not sure I've ever even heard the song 'Dead on Arrival', let alone played it...lol.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Commander J on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Adziu wrote:
Commander J wrote:

Your hired.

Although that said, I'm not sure I've ever even heard the song 'Dead on Arrival', let alone played it...lol.

I'm sure you can hold your on.
Commander J

Postby El capitano on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:17 pm

It's one of the hardest drum songs in the game >__>; On expert anyway, maybe third; With Run to the hills being either first or second and Won't get fooled again either first or second.
El capitano

Postby Adziu on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Oh well, if I was taking this seriously I'd go on the guitar. It is after all meant to be fun, aye?

Won't Get Fooled Again frustrated me. I think I could pass it next time I played, though. It WAS only the second time I'd played the game! Oh wait, third counting last expo.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby MasakoX on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:40 pm

'Dead on Arrival' is a blast to sing. I think I can tackle Expert on it, I need to get to a copy to try. :D
MasakoX

Postby El capitano on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Good to hear Masako; I know our guitarist can handle it..Now all we need is a bassist. I'm gonna get the guitarist to make an account on these forums..

Adziu - Aye, just a little fun. Still wouldn't mind winning ;D
El capitano

Postby xblackravenx on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:25 pm

i can play guitar/bass on hard easily but i haent tried expert much. am willing to give a go if anyone needs me.......

edit : tho that is with the guitar hero control
xblackravenx

Postby MasakoX on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:00 pm

xblackravenx wrote:i can play guitar/bass on hard easily but i haent tried expert much. am willing to give a go if anyone needs me.......

edit : tho that is with the guitar hero control

I believe that the organisers said there's a GH controller available if you're quick. But yeah, if you can then we got a band...now we gotta figure out how to keep in touch. ^^;
MasakoX

Next

Return to GAMES VILLAGE @ EXPO - OCTOBER 2008