FIRST TIME COSPLAYER NEEDS HELP

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

FIRST TIME COSPLAYER NEEDS HELP

Postby deaththekidxx on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:12 pm

Basically, the situation is that I went to the October Expo and it was my first time, so I really didn't know what to expect, and I therefore decided to go in my normal clothes. I only went with two other people and when we got there, we all felt kinda left out because of seeing all the awesome cosplayers. :?

I reallllyyy want to go to the next one in May but I am unsure whether to come in a cosplay outfit. I only know two people personally, who like anime, so would we look silly going round as cosplayers in a group of 3, and not knowing anyone else?? :?:

I assume that you meet people there, who are dressed in cosplay outfits from the same anime as you, but is it alright to hang around with them for the rest of the day?
-- I just feel a bit anxious that if we come dressed up..that we would look left out again, as we wouldn't know anyone else.... :?

Anyway please reply, as i'm sure it will help me and my mates decide what to do..thanku
deaththekidxx

Re: FIRST TIME COSPLAYER NEEDS HELP

Postby wilterdrose on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:16 pm

if you are in cosplay.. a lot of people will talk to you randomly and some will most likely adopt you for the day hehe
facebook.com/DiggingtheShamy
wilterdrose

Postby Shadowhunter72 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:17 pm

you wouldn't be left out, infact, you would fit in if you cosplayed.....better than when you came not in cosplay :) Everyone is friendly, so you would make more friends whilst there :D. And going around in a group of 3....you wouldn't look silly,i went with my dad to the previous expo just gone....and i cosplayed as Human Tails....i didn't feel silly at all....i only felt stupid because of the tape peeling off constantly(My shoes). I say go for it....you will have a lot more fun if you cosplayed :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shadowhunter72

Postby deaththekidxx on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:20 pm

haha adopted?? lol..people must be very friendly
and ye I guess I should go as cosplay...I just didn't know if i would fit in
deaththekidxx

Postby MrsLovett on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:23 pm

If you come from a popular anime, lets say...Bleach for example. On these forums, people will arrange for all Bleach characters to meet up in a big group, and you'll maybe get some photos taken, sometimes you'll go around together, get lunch and stuff like that together. Its a good way to make new friends. People are very friendly at the Expos. I remember the first time I cosplayed, its very fun having people recognize you and ask for pictures or comment on your cosplay. You should cosplay, it makes the Expo one hundred times more exciting and fun! Good luck with it! :D
When I first went to an Expo, I felt like I didn't fit in because I wasn't in cosplay! You may get a few odd looks on public transport though XD
MrsLovett

Postby wilterdrose on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:32 pm

deaththekidxx wrote:haha adopted?? lol..people must be very friendly
and ye I guess I should go as cosplay...I just didn't know if i would fit in

everyone really is!!!
facebook.com/DiggingtheShamy
wilterdrose

Postby deaththekidxx on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:48 pm

MrsLovett wrote:If you come from a popular anime, lets say...Bleach for example. On these forums, people will arrange for all Bleach characters to meet up in a big group, and you'll maybe get some photos taken, sometimes you'll go around together, get lunch and stuff like that together. Its a good way to make new friends. People are very friendly at the Expos. I remember the first time I cosplayed, its very fun having people recognize you and ask for pictures or comment on your cosplay. You should cosplay, it makes the Expo one hundred times more exciting and fun! Good luck with it! :D
When I first went to an Expo, I felt like I didn't fit in because I wasn't in cosplay! You may get a few odd looks on public transport though XD

--really? would u meet at like a trainstation or something? i didn't realise that happened..it probably explains why I saw massive groups of people all from the same anime...as i just thought they were all mates beforehand :P
lol ye the public transport is gonna be fun....i think i'll just wear a big black coat over it or something and then carry it around with me when i get there :?
deaththekidxx

Postby Kacela on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:52 pm

haha i never worry about what people think when i am on the trains, its the best fun ever mockin their disgusted looks XD but yeah, what everyone else said is true, once you find characters within your anime/game/manga/film/comic you immediatly become friends and wonder about together. there is nothing to b worried about! and with cosplayin, try something a little more simple at first to get used to it, or just jump into the most extreme one you can if your tht carefree! XD any ideas about who u want to cosplay?
Kacela

Postby rue on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:04 pm

26th October was *my* first expo in cosplay! I came with 3 others, and only 2 of us cosplayed! And we both travelled in full costume (I was surprised at the LACK of funny looks I got! :s) I actually broke off from the group to do some lone wandering too (in true Nero style!), and I got stopped for photos, got lots of great comments, and everyone was soo friendly! ^_^ I was a target for many a Dante, too, so yes, you do tend to fall in with people from the same anime/manga/game etc, and that is pretty cool. :) I also entered the masquerade and made a friend just waiting in line! Everyone is in the same situation, so most cosplayers get on together just fine, no matter how many of what character/series there are! ^_^
I really do recommend cosplaying, it's intoxicating! X3
Arnold 'Schmucko' Rimmer
rue

Postby ShurikenFire on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 pm

It's all down to confidence, if you cosplay you'll find it easier to talk to people, don't ask me how i theorize this because it's how i experienced it, running around in costume is really fun = D.

BUT if you do a cosplay that you're not happy with as in, you didn't really want to do it, or you think it looks naff and poorly made, it will affect your self esteem.

If you do cosplay and it's your first, do a simple cosplay either dresses/bikini(SNJ style maybe)/suits things like that, then you won't have to do as much effort into your first costume, yet you'll still be cosplaying.

DO NOT COSPLAY L! It's the bad kind of reputation you'd get for being L at an expo, quite a few people have said on here about wanting to be L but not stand out like the cosplayers do which i find quite rude to say.
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby deaththekidxx on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:17 pm

Kacela wrote:haha i never worry about what people think when i am on the trains, its the best fun ever mockin their disgusted looks XD but yeah, what everyone else said is true, once you find characters within your anime/game/manga/film/comic you immediatly become friends and wonder about together. there is nothing to b worried about! and with cosplayin, try something a little more simple at first to get used to it, or just jump into the most extreme one you can if your tht carefree! XD any ideas about who u want to cosplay?

-- haha ye when i was on the train and i saw some cosplayers at the other end...everyone around me were so confused and were whispering to each other...but it was quite funny to watch their reactions :lol:

well its between a few people at the moment...the main two being C.C from Code Geass...cause i found this great website where i can the outfit for a really good price...but that is definitely an extreme outfit...i'll be gettin the wig and everything if i went as her lol...and the other one is one of the school girls from code geass or lucky star and the uniform is pretty simple and that would be a better outfit to get used to cosplaying in..but i'm still debating which one...i've got a while yet till i have to decide anyway :)
deaththekidxx

Postby deaththekidxx on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:19 pm

rue wrote:26th October was *my* first expo in cosplay! I came with 3 others, and only 2 of us cosplayed! And we both travelled in full costume (I was surprised at the LACK of funny looks I got! :s) I actually broke off from the group to do some lone wandering too (in true Nero style!), and I got stopped for photos, got lots of great comments, and everyone was soo friendly! ^_^ I was a target for many a Dante, too, so yes, you do tend to fall in with people from the same anime/manga/game etc, and that is pretty cool. :) I also entered the masquerade and made a friend just waiting in line! Everyone is in the same situation, so most cosplayers get on together just fine, no matter how many of what character/series there are! ^_^

--what do you do in the masquerade? can anyone join? sorry about this...i feel like a complete nube not knowing any of this stuff... :oops:
deaththekidxx

Postby deaththekidxx on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:24 pm

ShurikenFire wrote:If you do cosplay and it's your first, do a simple cosplay either dresses/bikini(SNJ style maybe)/suits things like that, then you won't have to do as much effort into your first costume, yet you'll still be cosplaying.

DO NOT COSPLAY L! It's the bad kind of reputation you'd get for being L at an expo, quite a few people have said on here about wanting to be L but not stand out like the cosplayers do which i find quite rude to say.

--ye thats why i'm debating what cosplay i should come as...its a tricky business...lol
hahaha ye thats one thing I did notice when I went..was the amount of people that came as L. He might be a great anime character ..but I don't think there is much originality coming as L...its just a t-shirt and jeans...but anyway it is still cosplaying..so I can't really talk :lol:
deaththekidxx

Postby The Fuzz on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:49 pm

personally when deciding a character to cosplay as I look at characters I like, costumes I think I will enjoy making and costumes that will stand out. For example im thinking (I know its early) I may go as Travis Touchdown next time around. Its a character I like, the tsubaki will be a fun challenge and although the clothing is pretty run of the mill im hoping a beam katana will stand out well!
The Fuzz

Postby rue on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:15 pm

deaththekidxx wrote:
rue wrote:26th October was *my* first expo in cosplay! I came with 3 others, and only 2 of us cosplayed! And we both travelled in full costume (I was surprised at the LACK of funny looks I got! :s) I actually broke off from the group to do some lone wandering too (in true Nero style!), and I got stopped for photos, got lots of great comments, and everyone was soo friendly! ^_^ I was a target for many a Dante, too, so yes, you do tend to fall in with people from the same anime/manga/game etc, and that is pretty cool. :) I also entered the masquerade and made a friend just waiting in line! Everyone is in the same situation, so most cosplayers get on together just fine, no matter how many of what character/series there are! ^_^

--what do you do in the masquerade? can anyone join? sorry about this...i feel like a complete nube not knowing any of this stuff... :oops:

Well, since it was *my* first masquerade, I looked it up on Youtube to get an idea of what to do; you can either do a pre-planned skit with other people (in which you have to submit a recorded soundtrack including speech in advance, as they don't provide mics) or, like I did, you can do a Walk-On, where you walk on to the stage to music, adopt the mannerisms of your character for a bit and pose, walk about and stuff, then just walk off. :p It's really fun to do! ^_^ (I wish I had milked my masq walk-on a bit more... '¬_¬ :p ) And yes, anyone can submit an entry, as long as you made the costume yourself, and you can submit your own music to walk on to. :) To register, they put up a form some time before the Expo (dates usually appear here on the forums) and you just fill that in and hope you get a confirmed place (usually notified by email). If you are confirmed, you submit reference pics and your music to the email addy they notify you on, then you just wait for the day to come to waltz on and strut your stuff! ^_^

O_O I seem to have waffled... It seems like alot to take in for a first-timer... :p But it's fairly simple :) And everyone here is helpful, so if you get stuck/confused, then I'm sure any of us will be glad to help. ^_^

And I agree with Shiriken on the confidence thing. If you feel good about your own cosplay and walk about with confidence, then it will make your cosplay seem much more awesome. :) How you feel shows up on the outside, so do something you're comfortable in, then you will be confident and enhance your costume with your glowing self. ^_^ And it makes you more approachable, too. :)
Arnold 'Schmucko' Rimmer
rue

Postby ShurikenFire on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:46 pm

deaththekidxx wrote:
ShurikenFire wrote:If you do cosplay and it's your first, do a simple cosplay either dresses/bikini(SNJ style maybe)/suits things like that, then you won't have to do as much effort into your first costume, yet you'll still be cosplaying.

--ye thats why i'm debating what cosplay i should come as...its a tricky business...lol
hahaha ye thats one thing I did notice when I went..was the amount of people that came as L. He might be a great anime character ..but I don't think there is much originality coming as L...its just a t-shirt and jeans...but anyway it is still cosplaying..so I can't really talk :lol:

No no, too many scene/emo/goth kids decide to come as L because they can still put their face on.

L is a cosplay IF people are doing it for the right intentions, i've actually cosplayed as L myself but i actually put in the personality, and did some form of effort with the lines under eyes and the wig.
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby Sasuko on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:11 pm

plus nothing wrong with being a group of 3 people =3

...ok so I've been to 2 expos with 4 people but only 3 of did a group cosplay from the same anime (one did an original character cosplay and someone else cosplayed as a monster hunter)

besides it's always fun ^^ the atmosphere, random people you could go "so I heard you leik mudkipz" to or just waving and they'll saving something or wave back, tis the best ever =3

I'd go for it, pick a cosplay that would best suit you and one you'd feel comfortable as and get cracking! ^^ thar be several months till may to make an awesome outfit! ^^
The ninja Atsu
Sasuko

Postby Yatak on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:43 pm

ShurikenFire wrote:
deaththekidxx wrote:

No no, too many scene/emo/goth kids decide to come as L because they can still put their face on.

L is a cosplay IF people are doing it for the right intentions, i've actually cosplayed as L myself but i actually put in the personality, and did some form of effort with the lines under eyes and the wig.

Agreed, L is a good cosplay IF you put in the effort and stay in character... i saw a couple of really good Ls in the weekend (even went to the extent of having no shoes).

Just choose something you would feel great in, your fave character or someone you think you would pull off very well. As long as you feel comfy and happy with it, its all good ^^.
Yatak

Postby gracciieechan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:30 pm

to sum up you should:
-cosplay
-have confidence
-meet people
-have photos taken of you
-perhaps enter masquerade
-and basically have fun! :mrgreen:
gracciieechan

Postby gracciieechan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Purplefluffychainsaw wrote:
gracciieechan wrote:to sum up you should:
-cosplay
-have confidence
-meet people
-have photos taken of you
-perhaps enter masquerade
-and basically have fun! :mrgreen:

Correction:

-perhaps try and enter masquerade:P

--hahaha yes..try to enter it..your right..no one has a gauranteed place yet lol
gracciieechan

Postby Arkayen on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Theres a proper general cosplay thread in this forum guys for this kinda thing...
MCM Expo Message Board Moderator

Arkayen
Board Moderator

Return to COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO - OCTOBER 2008