Making a sword, where to start? =X

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

Making a sword, where to start? =X

Postby Reser on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:52 am

Well I am bored and currently Job-less =X So I got lots of time on my hands, so I figure I want to start making my costume for next year. This will be my first time making a cosplay so I am wondering if anyone can help me or link me to a site with guides on making swords? I am not sure where to start xD.

Any help is appreciated.
Reser

Re: Making a sword, where to start? =X

Postby rue on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:37 am

Well, I don't know much about small props (seeing as my first sword was considerably oversized... O_o), so I can't help there. BUT! I did have a site to help in the making of LARGE prop swords!

http://www.thetworivers.com/avatrix/sword/sword.htm

I MUST WARN!! If you ever work with polyfoam/styrofoam/polystyrene MAKE SURE you check your glue! Most heavy duty glues will melt through most foams! I reccomend 'No More Nails' or an equivilent. DO NOT USE SOLVENT GLUES!! Also, if you choose to fibreglass your foam, CHECK THE RESIN!! Epoxy resin IS safe (it will NOT dissolve the foam), but POLYESTER RESIN DOES dissolve foams! If you can only get hold of Poly-resin, all is not lost, it was what I had to work with. A simple single coating of PVA glue will save the foam! Just paint the surfaces you want to 'glass and let it dry, then it is safe. ^_^

Hope this is of *some* help to someone! :p

(Also, I think this thread really belongs in the General Chat : Cosplay & Costuming area of the boards!) :p
Last edited by rue on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnold 'Schmucko' Rimmer
rue

Postby Mizuyah on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:49 am

I was about to post up a thread like this myself. Making a Halibel cosplay next year (see signature) and she carries a sword horizontally on her back. Would the MDF be ideal for me too? Or perhaps something lighter?

Sorry to mooch off of your thread, Reser. xD
May 09 Cosplay; N/A
October 09 Cosplay: Sister Miyako [Kannazuki no Miko]
Mizuyah

Postby Mizuyah on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:02 am

Well, Halibel's sword is large in girth, but small in length so would it still be something I can wear across my back?

It would kinda resemble this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ ... alibel.png

Please bare in mind that I will not be defying logic and sporting the underboobs next year. >_>;;; xDD But you get the gist of the sword I'm after.
May 09 Cosplay; N/A
Mizuyah

Postby rue on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23 am

Mizuyah wrote:Well, Halibel's sword is large in girth, but small in length so would it still be something I can wear across my back?

It would kinda resemble this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ ... alibel.png

Please bare in mind that I will not be defying logic and sporting the underboobs next year. >_>;;; xDD But you get the gist of the sword I'm after.

O_O wow... skimpy... '¬_¬
Arnold 'Schmucko' Rimmer
rue

Postby EmeraldStarlight on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:40 am

i was thinking about starting something like this ^^ i'm thinking about cosplaying cassandra from soul calibur 4 next year, and i'm wondering what kinda methods people use for making armour?

Edit: sorry about stealing your thread ^^;
EmeraldStarlight

Postby ruka on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:57 am

for armor, I will be getting sheets of foam and card. and layering them together.
Card to keep it rigid, and foam to pad it out.
then spraypainting it and pinning it together where I want.
should work :)
ruka

Postby Regasssa on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm very interested in any advice here. I'm making Tapion's sword for next year, so I've got a lot of catching up to do in the weapons making department.
Regasssa

Postby Yatak on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:31 pm

Mizuyah wrote:Well, Halibel's sword is large in girth, but small in length so would it still be something I can wear across my back?

:O, your gonna be pounced on by the free huggers :<
Yatak

Postby ruka on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:43 pm

EDIT: :mrgreen:
Last edited by ruka on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruka

Postby Arkayen on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:36 pm

Start by using the right thread I.E the Cosplay Thread...
MCM Expo Message Board Moderator

Arkayen
Board Moderator

Postby xaerael on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:58 pm

this is a basic guide similar to how i build my swords

http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Aldebar ... index.html

that will build you a totally safe "larp" type sword. if you need any help or advise on that style, add me on msn at xaerael@googlemail.com and i'll do my best to help you out, time providing ;p
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
xaerael

Postby Reser on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 pm

xaerael wrote:this is a basic guide similar to how i build my swords

http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Aldebar ... index.html

that will build you a totally safe "larp" type sword. if you need any help or advise on that style, add me on msn at xaerael@googlemail.com and i'll do my best to help you out, time providing ;p

Wow that guide looks very extensive o.o, thanks alot, and thanks to everyone else who posted.

That guide sounds good but also very complex o.o, will a foam sword made with that guide feel quite solid? I am not sure whether i will go with a wood sword or using that guide and trying foam. also if going with wood is MDF the wood that would be used? Thinking about it MDF probably would be quite heavy lol, is there some form of light weight wood which would work better? Would Balsa wood work?
Reser

Postby xaerael on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:36 pm

wood's ok. uber nerd's wooden sword are amazing. i like foam larp swords purely because i can swing them about and skirmish with them safely (and you can guarantee they will pass weapons checks in any event, especially the more strict ones like aya and ame)

the two foam based swords i have at the moment are totally practical, and very well balanced, i can perform most in hand sword tricks that i can perform with a real sword or a boken. the downside is that they do take a little practice to make (probably far less than making a wooden sword tho) and they can look bulkier than wooden ones. the upside is that they are extremly light, very durable ("snapping" one is a hard job), you can safely have a mock fight with friends without too much fear of injuring them, and they do, for the most part, look like real weapons. in some cases, the allen sword i made for my flatmate is one that springs to mind in particular, they look better than any other material.

here's a couple of examples of swords i've made...

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/costume/view/4249
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/costume/view/4333

my alphonse was also made under pretty much the same principles and materials...

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/costume/view/4261
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
xaerael

Postby Reser on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:30 am

xaerael wrote:wood's ok. uber nerd's wooden sword are amazing. i like foam larp swords purely because i can swing them about and skirmish with them safely (and you can guarantee they will pass weapons checks in any event, especially the more strict ones like aya and ame)

the two foam based swords i have at the moment are totally practical, and very well balanced, i can perform most in hand sword tricks that i can perform with a real sword or a boken. the downside is that they do take a little practice to make (probably far less than making a wooden sword tho) and they can look bulkier than wooden ones. the upside is that they are extremly light, very durable ("snapping" one is a hard job), you can safely have a mock fight with friends without too much fear of injuring them, and they do, for the most part, look like real weapons. in some cases, the allen sword i made for my flatmate is one that springs to mind in particular, they look better than any other material.

here's a couple of examples of swords i've made...

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/costume/view/4249
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/costume/view/4333

my alphonse was also made under pretty much the same principles and materials...

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/costume/view/4261

Ah wow, yeah those swords look pretty awesome o.o, and it would be nice to not have any restrictions like not being able to take it out inside e.t.c and the weight on back will be alot less too.

I guess the instructions will be easier to follow if i have allt he materials infront of me, I will see if I can get all the stuff bought this week and give it a try. Thanks =D
Reser

Postby Reser on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:24 am

Is there anywhere in perticuler you buy your foam e.t.c?

I found this site for foam and prices seemed ok http://www.lbguk.co.uk, glass fibre tubing they do not seem to have though, I will keep googling for that I guess xD
Reser

Postby Mizuyah on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:19 am

@ PFC/rue: Well, she actually does have another version of the same outfit. That just happens to be the manga version. God knows I'm not getting my tits out. >_< Only my midrift will show

@ Yatak: The free huggers I can take. The glompers.... >____>

So MDF it is. Now my next problem. How am I supposed to get the equipment to cut it to shape? >_<
May 09 Cosplay; N/A
Mizuyah

Postby Floof on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:39 pm

Yatak wrote:

:O, your gonna be pounced on by the free huggers :<

Myah, pure 'free-hug' bait. But if thats the price to pay for awesomeness, so be it.

And thanks for the info rue, I'll actually be building my own cosplayes sometime in the future. Possibly with swords too.
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Yatak on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 pm

Mizuyah wrote:@ PFC/rue: Well, she actually does have another version of the same outfit. That just happens to be the manga version. God knows I'm not getting my tits out. >_< Only my midrift will show

@ Yatak: The free huggers I can take. The glompers.... >____>

So MDF it is. Now my next problem. How am I supposed to get the equipment to cut it to shape? >_<

If you buy it from a wood supplier they will probably cut it for you into the shape for a small fee.
Yatak

Postby Solaris Phoenix on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:10 pm

You have to be careful working with MDF not to breathe in too much of the dust, as it's carcinogenic (can increase risk of cancer).

I might be making a sword/wings for the next Expo, so this is really useful stuff to know. I'll have a more detailed read when I'm not at work *shifty glances*
Legacy-fantasy book for Amazon Kindle
http://www.nazreal.com
Solaris Phoenix

Postby RanmaSyaoranSaotome on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Solaris Phoenix wrote:You have to be careful working with MDF not to breathe in too much of the dust, as it's carcinogenic (can increase risk of cancer).

I might be making a sword/wings for the next Expo, so this is really useful stuff to know. I'll have a more detailed read when I'm not at work *shifty glances*

Ooops >_> (I never knew that) Although I DID wear a peice of silk over my mouth >_>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
RanmaSyaoranSaotome

Postby Yatak on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:34 pm

RanmaSyaoranSaotome wrote:
Solaris Phoenix wrote:You have to be careful working with MDF not to breathe in too much of the dust, as it's carcinogenic (can increase risk of cancer).

Ooops >_> (I never knew that) Although I DID wear a peice of silk over my mouth >_>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wouldn't be worried... everything gives us cancer these days. (According to people anyway)
Yatak

Postby Solaris Phoenix on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:00 pm

It's probably only a real concern if you're cutting up tons of the stuff or are sanding it with your teeth, but as long as you have at least some kind of ventilation (like using spray paint or glue or something) then you should be fine. Just to let people know in case they like grinding the stuff up and not being sensible about breathing. I'm very sensitive about breathing in fumes and dusty particles; I know a lot of others who're the same.
Legacy-fantasy book for Amazon Kindle
http://www.nazreal.com
Solaris Phoenix

Postby Reser on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:37 pm

I am having a lot of trouble finding a place to buy 'Glass fibre tubing' all the websites I have found do not have a way to order and you have to contact for a quote, i decided to email one of them and they said need to spend a minimum of £200- -. So yeah I am kinda stuck right now. anyone know a good place to buy the tubing? Thanks
Reser

Postby Reser on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:07 pm

I found this site http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/s ... 0_286.html which has up to 10mm diamter glass fibre tubes, will the 2mm less be ok? If I improvise and buy 10mm thick foam and cut a 10mm rectangle instead of 12 it should be ok and strong enough still?

//edit ug I can only find 9mm think foam -.-, lol I am going to have to go look around b&q and hope they have some of these tubes, although the b&q website says they only have up to 10mm also >_<
Reser

Next

Return to COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO - OCTOBER 2008