Any tips on persuading parents?

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories.

Any tips on persuading parents?

Postby kawaiitsuki on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Me and a a friends have persuaded one my friends parents to take us there on the Saturday by train but we have 2 cosplays we want to do so want to stay overnight and go on the Sunday too .. and our parents wont let us stay on our own in a hotel with no adults present >.< sooo any tips to persuade them ^^ xD :lol:
kawaiitsuki

Re: Any tips on persuading parents?

Postby Yatak on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Get one to come along?
Yatak

Postby kawaiitsuki on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Yatak wrote:Get one to come along?

oh yeah they're all refusing -forgot to add in- my dads like aren't you being a little selfish just go for one day -__-...... ;___:
kawaiitsuki

Postby Yatak on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:13 pm

will they be paying or will it be coming out of your money.

If they are paying then perhaps you can offer to pay a percentage or do jobs around the house/help them out with stuff to get them over to the dark side.
Yatak

Postby danyata on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:15 pm

Aye seconding the doing jobs around the house or offering to pay a percentage. Hotels around this area are expensive, perhaps research cheapo options that are maybe not in the city and then ride the tube (or err, the bus replacement service) around?

I'm not sure how old you are, or I would suggest getting a little Saturday job at a chippy or sommat and offering to save up out of that :)
Last edited by danyata on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danyata

Postby Neko-Chan on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 pm

the place is pretty safe and secure if they have a mobile number for you say youll ring them and keep in contact through the weekend. its what i had to do my first time. after that my mum knew i was gonna be ok and let me go when i like. its pretty safe with security guards for the excel n stuff and expo staff are usually friendly, and if anyone does start a fight it never lasts long.. not that ive ever seen any cept one.... meh anway yeah. just make check in s with them?
Neko-Chan

Postby CPU on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm not aware of any cheap accommodation, so your parents may well be thinking that the cost of a hotel is going to be high and they would be right :( As it's your first run down to Expo a 1x day visit is plenty, you'll be cream-crackered by the time you get home.
every time they invent a new fool-proof system, someone gives birth to a better fool
CPU

Postby Emjin on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 pm

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but, staying for just the one day is enough, and it's gunna be hella expensive to stay overnight in a hotel, heck I have a full-time job and I'm still not staying over in fear of my bank balance :P
Emjin

Postby Floof on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:56 pm

kawaiitsuki wrote:Me and a a friends have persuaded one my friends parents to take us there on the Saturday by train but we have 2 cosplays we want to do so want to stay overnight and go on the Sunday too .. and our parents wont let us stay on our own in a hotel with no adults present >.< sooo any tips to persuade them ^^ xD :lol:

Who says there aren't any 'adults'? Many expo goers in the hotels are over 18. =P
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby shaneh87 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:05 pm

I thought you had to have atleast 1 person 18+ to book the room and stay there?
shaneh87

Postby sir_auronDX on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:56 pm

You do...you always need an 18+ to book an hotel. they will check you at the door incase you reserved with someone elses credit card
sir_auronDX

Postby Neko-Chan on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29 am

erm actually i stayed in a hotel hundreds of times before i was 18. PTI allows under 18's and most of the others do too. how do you think all the other under 18 expo people manage to stay over without thier parents?

its usually under the age of 16 that they wont allow it.
Neko-Chan

Postby Fullmetal_Dani on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:07 am

sir_auronDX wrote:You do...you always need an 18+ to book an hotel. they will check you at the door incase you reserved with someone elses credit card

Its not a club o_O

They take card details when you book to reserve it, but it doesnt matter whos card it is really. And I got away with giving my cash card details xD As long as you pay in cash on the day then its okay.
Fullmetal_Dani
Board Moderator

Postby faramon on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:42 am

Use a medium density 2" x 4" piece of wood thats really persuasive ....

Actually violence is bad so don't do that.

Go with any sensible answer, just remember you will need money!
faramon

Postby Hannah-Kiwii on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:22 pm

My advice would be to take it in steps. They've said yes to one day, go with that for now...there will be other expos. Prove to them that it's safe and you're responsible...and then build up to persuading them for a weekend in October. Worked for me.
Hannah-Kiwii

Postby CrystalNeko on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Could you not get another relative or somebody responsible that's old enough to go with you guys?

Failing that show them how mature you can be [actually it depends how old you are... if your 16 or above this method should work!]. Say your old and responsible enough to be unsupervised now, [actually this method also depends if you've done anything wrong in the past xD, it works for me because the worst I've done is not tidy my room *cough*] and they should trust you enough by now.
And hey if your 16 then your old enough to look after yourself, heck you could move out at 16 xDD [No I am not suggesting moving out to get your way - it's expensive - I suggest setting up a cardboard box outside in your garden ;D... I'm kidding by the way X_x]

If this is your first expo then I would suggest just going for one day, I started out just going one day myself! If you have two costumes then wear them both in the same day, one for the morning and one for the afternoon - a lot of people do this!
CrystalNeko

Postby issabella_mottman on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm

It would be helpful to know how old you are, since if your under 16 I have to say I can't really blame them.
If you're over 16, and really are desperate to go for both days, see if there are any other adults going who can supervise you? Or depending on how expensive trains are you could go both days? Or look at coaches which are cheaper? If not I'd say go with Hannah-Kiwii's advice and wait until next expo when they've seen that you're safe and everything. And don't storm out during a discussion, that doesn't help XD Stay mature *nodnod* thats how i got my parents to let me come XD
issabella_mottman

Postby Hexi on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:43 pm

How old are you first?
because i wasn't allowed to stay in a hotel on my own for expo until i was 18. (well, not alone but without parents) and my parental units are fairly loose about that stuff. although to be fair i was with my boyfriend........

it's just a case of waiting until next year or even the year after.
there's no hurry, expo will be around for a long time yet considering it gets busier each year. and you don't miss that much by not staying.
try not to push your luck too much. >w<

if you're that bothered with wearing both cosplays you can always go and change half way through the day. the excel centre has toilets (duh) and changing rooms and a place you can stash your bags so you don't have to carry them around with you.

like said before, if this is your first expo i'd leave it to only one day. especially if a parent will be going with you.

Plus you need to stay in your parents good books for the money. XD
it's stupidly expensive at expo. you'll be spending alot of money so it's really best to keep it simple for now.

like everyone else has said.
one day is enough to start off with.
most people only do one day (*cough*me*cough*) and it's plenty enough time to get the good experiances of expo.
and like said before, you can always change half way if you're that bothered. or save it for Expo in october. or any of the other cosplay events during the year. ^^
Hexi

Postby kawaiitsuki on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Floof wrote:
kawaiitsuki wrote:Me and a a friends have persuaded one my friends parents to take us there on the Saturday by train but we have 2 cosplays we want to do so want to stay overnight and go on the Sunday too .. and our parents wont let us stay on our own in a hotel with no adults present >.< sooo any tips to persuade them ^^ xD :lol:

Who says there aren't any 'adults'? Many expo goers in the hotels are over 18. =P

Lol try telling that to my mum ^_^; we even know a few friends who are 17 and 15 and she still says no ^_^;
kawaiitsuki

Postby kawaiitsuki on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Hexi wrote:How old are you first?
because i wasn't allowed to stay in a hotel on my own for expo until i was 18. (well, not alone but without parents) and my parental units are fairly loose about that stuff. although to be fair i was with my boyfriend........

it's just a case of waiting until next year or even the year after.
there's no hurry, expo will be around for a long time yet considering it gets busier each year. and you don't miss that much by not staying.
try not to push your luck too much. >w<

if you're that bothered with wearing both cosplays you can always go and change half way through the day. the excel centre has toilets (duh) and changing rooms and a place you can stash your bags so you don't have to carry them around with you.

like said before, if this is your first expo i'd leave it to only one day. especially if a parent will be going with you.

Plus you need to stay in your parents good books for the money. XD
it's stupidly expensive at expo. you'll be spending alot of money so it's really best to keep it simple for now.

like everyone else has said.
one day is enough to start off with.
most people only do one day (*cough*me*cough*) and it's plenty enough time to get the good experiances of expo.
and like said before, you can always change half way if you're that bothered. or save it for Expo in october. or any of the other cosplay events during the year. ^^

Yeah thankies for teh advice :) yeah I am 14 >.< buuuut both my friends are 15 and 17 and it isnt my first expo and i've been around them with like 2 friends without my mum saying anything. x3 ^^
Last edited by kawaiitsuki on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kawaiitsuki

Postby kawaiitsuki on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:13 pm

issabella_mottman wrote:It would be helpful to know how old you are, since if your under 16 I have to say I can't really blame them.
If you're over 16, and really are desperate to go for both days, see if there are any other adults going who can supervise you? Or depending on how expensive trains are you could go both days? Or look at coaches which are cheaper? If not I'd say go with Hannah-Kiwii's advice and wait until next expo when they've seen that you're safe and everything. And don't storm out during a discussion, that doesn't help XD Stay mature *nodnod* thats how i got my parents to let me come XD

yup yup I understand cause im under 16 it wouldnt be reasonable to stay over night ono my own -with friends I kinda ment persuading them to come with us cause at one point my friends parents were going to stay with us in the hotel but then they didnt want to so ...yeaahhh xD
kawaiitsuki

Postby issabella_mottman on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Ah ok XD That makes it harder I guess...mine agreed to giving lifts in the past (and hotel next oct, woot!) when I asked them about it once, then let it drop for a few weeks before asking again if it helps XD
issabella_mottman

Postby Anne Drogenous on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:14 am

When I was under 16, I used to just beg and cry and beg.
Humility has no place in a teenager's mind.
Anne Drogenous

Postby LewSiffer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Mmm your 14 eh? Best chance is to try and beg your mom or dad to come with you and stay, or have any of your friends got a brother or sister that's 18 or older that would like to come? Do you get pocket money? If so offer to give up like, a month or so's pocket money to pay for the costs of one of your parents staying or whatever. But even if you cant get them to stay ne happy that your attending atleast one day ;)
x
LewSiffer

Postby CrystalNeko on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Hmmm... well if your 14 then that changes everything xD

Try to get the best grades possible, ask for no rewards apart from Expo Expo Expo and they should crack. Act really upset when they turn you down as well, that'll make them feel bad for you XDDD Help around the house a lot if you don't already cause you can say you'd like to be rewarded for all the work you've done.

It's a bit late to book a hotel now though isn't it? It's going to be really pricey, if I were you I'd work to get a hotel in October or something then it'll be cheaper so they will be more likely to book it and go with you and the hard work would all be worth it ^_^

If you REALLY want to go both days this May - do what my friends and I do. One parent takes us on Saturday, the other on Sunday! That's what we've been doing for the past few years haha! [It's only until October this year that we're ACTUALLY getting a hotel! - And I've been going to Expos for 3 years now X_x]
CrystalNeko

Next

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2009