Poi spinners!

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories.

Poi spinners!

Postby Kitticus on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:40 pm

I have noticed over the many years of expo i have been that there is always someone there with poi , i am a poi spinner myself and always find it nice finding other people doing spinning at the expo.
If anyone is interested in a cosplay/non cosplay poi spinning meet then please say ^ ^
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Re: Poi spinners!

Postby Ryoko on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 pm

I have poi... I tried to learn, I really did.... *cries*
My friends are really good.... which makes it all the more annoying that I suck, lol!
Ryoko

Postby Kitticus on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Aw! hehe , i remember when i first started poi ,i made the mistake of starting with fire ones which are pretty heavy and got plenty of bruises XD , but now i can do lots of poi quite swiftly , but you are more than welcome to join in , you might be able to pick up a few things ^ ^ tell your friends too!
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby Yatak on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:25 pm

What is this poi madness?
Yatak

Postby CrystalNeko on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:33 pm

The only thing with poi is spin them round and round and round in a circle 8D; I'm useless at it >_<; It's now collecting dust on my desk haha! I'd try to learn properly but I just don't have the time, I bought them because they looked fun and pretty though so when I do get the chance I'll try and learn again ^_^
CrystalNeko

Postby Kitticus on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Poi is an object usually a weight attatched to a cord which is then attatched to finger straps , it comes in many different varieties to which make different effects!.
You spin them the the hands and arms and i suppose the best term for it is do tricks.. here are some pictures of me spinning some poi!..

Fire Poi:

Flag poi:

Mouse Poi:

note~Fire pic is alot more recent than the other two :P

Cystal Neko : if you want guidance i am there ^ ^ i have taught many people how to do poi and learnt alot from others also so it'd be my pleassure to teach you a few things if you are interested ^ ^
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby Yatak on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm

ah yes, i have seen alot of this, i just didn't know it had a name :)

I now no longer have to call it 'That spinny thing'
Yatak

Postby Kitticus on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:10 pm

hahaha!! call it whatever you like! its just the official term is poi spinning ^ ^
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby CrystalNeko on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:24 pm

Haha, I might just bring my poi to expo then - that is if I remember X_x; I promised I'd bring them to a recent meet up but completely forgot! xD;
CrystalNeko

Postby Kitticus on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Ouu yes please do bring them!! , i shall bring a variety of my poi collection with me XD
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby Neko-Chan on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:50 am

I shall bring my poi with me, but i have no clue how to do anything beyond the basic spin T_T A friend taught me a few things. but thats it, lol was going to get the fire ones then thought hmmm i better learn first xD never really used them after that because cosplay took over lol. the aim was to hel build up my arm muscles in a fun way for my bowling, but when i gave up that inspiration left me.
Neko-Chan

Postby Kitticus on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:02 am

It is good to learn normal poi first before going near fire poi , but just got to be carefull with the change of weight as they are quite heavy compared to practise poi.
Also this group could definately be for beginners and more experienced poi spinners , and i will be willing to teach others a few things if they want , i wont force it upon anyone ^ ^ , the key idea is to have fun ^ ^
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby Neko-Chan on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:49 pm

i think imo adding weight would make it a little more easier lol. well depends what day and time and place because of my cosplays but ill bring em along anyway ^_^
Neko-Chan

Postby Koufuku on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:43 pm

I'd bring my poi but i probably wouldn't have time to use them, and i'd be too embarassed to actually spin if i did have time because i can only really do a simple weave and butterfly :D
Koufuku

Postby Kitticus on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Those are more complicated than you may think!! but also feel free to join in if you wish!
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby CrystalNeko on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Like Neko-chan I'd also like to know what time/where your gonna hold the meet, I'm a tad busy for a lot of it but I might pop by if I can ^_^
[And lol... it'll be rather humorous to see me doing poi because my cosplays are rather... wide xD The pois might knock my hoop skirt constantly haha! - Unless I decide to take off the hoopskirt/petticoat to walk around in, in which case I'll be normal sized woo xDD]
CrystalNeko

Postby Koufuku on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Kitticus wrote:Those are more complicated than you may think!! but also feel free to join in if you wish!

They are? :O I havn't practiced in ages so might not be able to do them anymore. Butterfly is easy imo. I love having on behind my back and one in front, it's fun :lol:. I can remember when my poi broke one time and i used sock poi instead 8).
Koufuku

Postby Kitticus on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:15 pm

I love leading in and out of a forwards or back (including behind the head) butterfly ^ ^ very fun , sock poi is very fun too i own one pair of stripey black and white ones which are fun to play with ^ ^
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby Neko-Chan on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:45 pm

CrystalNeko wrote:Like Neko-chan I'd also like to know what time/where your gonna hold the meet, I'm a tad busy for a lot of it but I might pop by if I can ^_^
[And lol... it'll be rather humorous to see me doing poi because my cosplays are rather... wide xD The pois might knock my hoop skirt constantly haha! - Unless I decide to take off the hoopskirt/petticoat to walk around in, in which case I'll be normal sized woo xDD]

thats exactly my problem, although i also come with electricals and a long wig on saturday lol which can cause problems, but if you do it on the sat id come take photos anyway =P
Neko-Chan

Postby Kitticus on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:57 pm

I'll be there both days with my poi! i will be outside quite a bit due to photoshoots, clausterophobia from being in the hall too long and my bf needing a smoke XD , i wont be hard to miss , just look out for a short cosplayer spinning bright orange flags about!!XD , more than welcome to join me !. If anyone is wanting a specific slot for poi spinning please say and i will try and arrange something for either or both days!
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby Dirge-Sayouyin on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:23 am

i spin =D
was spinning last year in may.. suckishly of course=[
i need less fail... or a teacher at least... maybe one of you could... *thinks*

im cosplaying zero kiryuu and staying at the Etap... i know right... failness
im so anonamous you cant see me >.<
Dirge-Sayouyin

Postby Kitticus on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:07 am

hehe awesome! , like i said to the others i will be happy to teach a few things ^ ^
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby Fullmetal_Dani on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Ahhh I used to do a lot of poi spinning... Now I want to buy some new ones xD

Now for a mod thing to say... Remember to do poi away from people and not to do it indoors 8D STAY SAFE YO.
Fullmetal_Dani
Board Moderator

Postby Kitticus on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 pm

A good place to buy poi definately (i buy all mine from these people ) are Oddballs who have a shop online and in camden and are absolutely brilliant and have a wide sellection of poi ^ ^
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Postby Kitticus on Wed May 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Heyn guys , unfortunately i completely forgot my poi for the weekend , i remembered when i was walking to the excell center XD , so yeh i WILL definately bring them for october and that gives enough time to actually sort out a proper meet if anyone is interested , i think it would be more fun seeing a female link spinning poi anyway XD
May 2011
Fujin (ff8)
Seaking (pokemon)
Kitticus

Next

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2009