Rubbish.... litterally.

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories.

Re: Rubbish.... litterally.

Postby Ocaro on Tue May 26, 2009 2:24 pm

Thats really shocking photos.

I know loads of people who went in cosplay whose outfit doesn't have shoes. I would hate to see anyone hurt, eccspecially since the Expo is getting so big now that searching for first aid or preforming it is extremly hard to do.

On Saturday from 11 to about 3 I was wearing high heels (which is insane looking back) And I almost slipped on carrier bags and foil pocky boxes.
Ocaro

Postby Ultimket on Tue May 26, 2009 4:08 pm

wow shocking photo indeed, I was already totaly sad at what I saw onsunday late evening, but it wasn't that much! I saw a guy throwing his big free hug sign, just like that and there was a bin right on his left 4 steps away...

I mean people, WAKE UP this is your expo don't make it like that!

And it's not just "being considerate at these events", it's everyday in life, you just don't throw stuff on the floor and that's it.

Lestat McDowell wrote:If you ask me, the Excel staff should have focussed more on making people clean up than on shooing people away from the statue.

I think this is more a matter of education, not just having someone to say what people have to do. it really don't think it's their role to go after everyone who throw rubbish on the floor, but it probably is for the statue.
Ultimket

Postby eslupmi on Tue May 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Ultimket wrote:wow shocking photo indeed, I was already totaly sad at what I saw onsunday late evening, but it wasn't that much! I saw a guy throwing his big free hug sign, just like that and there was a bin right on his left 4 steps away...

I mean people, WAKE UP this is your expo don't make it like that!

And it's not just "being considerate at these events", it's everyday in life, you just don't throw stuff on the floor and that's it.

Lestat McDowell wrote:If you ask me, the Excel staff should have focussed more on making people clean up than on shooing people away from the statue.

I think this is more a matter of education, not just having someone to say what people have to do. it really don't think it's their role to go after everyone who throw rubbish on the floor, but it probably is for the statue.

yeah, it's good manners to throw your rubbish away, not leave it where you sit. and I saw the inside of the expo hall sunday after the event closed, the amount of litter was shocking. they should ban food and drink being taken into the halls from the outside vendors. And the main stage, me and my friend had to pick that rubbish up before the Masquerade on saturday, there was a sqaure pie box, disgusting looking tissues....unfinished coke bottles...
and the rubbish left outside was just shameful , a lot of people couldn't carry their crapp to a bin?? what's up with that :?
eslupmi

Postby Bluey-P on Tue May 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Yep, it was completely and utterly disgusting. My room in the Novotel overlooked the outside area at ExCel West and at the end of the day there was everything from Guinness World Record certificates to broken glass all over the floor.
And what was even more upsetting was that local residents use that area in the evenings. There were people arriving at round 5:30pm with children and dogs and they couldn't use the grass.

In the evening when when the cleaning van was going around people with skateboards were grabbing onto the back of it and letting it pull them along. They scarpered of course the second the cleaner went to yell at them. The skateboarders were also harassing cosplayers during the day by skating up quickly behind them and scaring them, but that's another rant.
London Expo attendee from 2007
Bluey-P

Postby Lady Bahamut on Tue May 26, 2009 5:57 pm

I saw the rubbish and it really was horrible. I carried my rubbish around with me untill I found a bin :? There is no need to leave it around like that.
Oct
Syaoran - CardcaptorSakura
Lady Bahamut

Postby Holleh-Chan on Tue May 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Ugh! I totally agree with you!
I was disgusted at the amount left lying around- honestly just because you're at a convention doesn't mean you forget general manners and social standards :/
My hotel room looked over the excel and the poor litter picker guys were picking litter for ages!
And all of the broken glass and beer bottles left around was horrible- how scruffy do some people want to be?

I must mention actually that there need to be more bins outside the excel- because the ones that were there on sat were filled to the brim and considering the amount of people and the heat there was bound to be tons of food/drink rubbish from them :/ expo should've been more prepared.

Still there's no excuse for littering- I just took my litter back to the hotel to put in a bin there >w<
Holleh-Chan

Postby ForgottenInsanity on Tue May 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Completely agree with you. Although I wasn't outside much, it was terrible indoors.
My mum was sitting on the chairs, as she does every year, and the rubbish has never been that bad. Usually there are cleaners going around, but there werent this time. The table next to ours was full of noodle boxes, bags and who knows what else. And there was a bin not far away.
Big kudos to all the cleaners.
October2009 - Jirachi
ForgottenInsanity

Postby Briggsja on Tue May 26, 2009 9:10 pm

I was shocked with the ammount of rubbish, when me and my friend were looking for a place to sit around 4pm there was alot of space but it was all covered in rubbish, to make some we did just spent 2mins cleaning up a small area for are selves
Briggsja

Postby hyperwolfy on Tue May 26, 2009 10:33 pm

I was shocked. I'm not from the uk and it was my first time at the expo. And I was starting to wonder is this normal here? But good to know it's not. Hopefully next time the bins wil be used more, because it isn't that hard to trow your rubbish away =p
hyperwolfy

Postby Mickolas on Wed May 27, 2009 9:17 am

How can some people be so disrespectful to the grounds of the custom house? it mkes us ALL look bad =[
Mickolas

Postby Neko-Chan on Wed May 27, 2009 10:38 am

hyperwolfy wrote:I was shocked. I'm not from the uk and it was my first time at the expo. And I was starting to wonder is this normal here? But good to know it's not. Hopefully next time the bins wil be used more, because it isn't that hard to trow your rubbish away =p

Im sorry for your first expo you had to see it, sorry but its not usually like that dont let that represent all expo goers to you, because we aint all like that.
Neko-Chan

Postby Myst on Wed May 27, 2009 3:44 pm

You should have seen the rubbish inside the hall too, once everyone was out on the Saturday night, we had a chance to go around and look.

I mean on the DDRUK stand, from the items taken from the tables, no where else other than the tables, (which all had signs which said "Please do not leave your rubbish at the stand and take it with you"), we had a 2 foot pile of rubbish once collected.

I mean really, there are bins, and you don't have to throw so much on the floor (I even had someone throw a bit at me thinking they were being subtle and chucking behind them, they quickly picked it up after that).

C
Myst

Postby ukotaku on Wed May 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Even when I was lining up at the Fast track queue, People just left their Free goodie bags in the line.

Geez If you don't want it, Give it back instead of leaving it there and blocking people from walking.
Saturday: Yumasaki Walker-Durarara!!
Sunday: Orihara Izaya-Durarara!!
ukotaku

Postby Regasssa on Thu May 28, 2009 1:23 am

I looked at it all appalled a couple of times. God, it was awful. We were fighting over in that area before the cleaner lorry came round, and I kept feeling guilty because I was sitting amongst all this trash, and I kept thinking people might be looking over blaming me for it, or something. I took everything back I drank out of/ate out of and threw it away in the hotel room. The bins I saw were full to overflowing and people had started stacking stuff around them. On Monday morning, there was a lone litter collector came by complaining about what had been left over from Sunday night's parties, too, I felt so bad for him, but hey, at least he has a job, right?
Regasssa

Postby picklesofdoom on Thu May 28, 2009 2:37 am

thecomedian wrote:People should clean up after themselves, not let other people clean up for them, I thought that much was common courtesy at least. And it's not as though there weren't bins around everywhere....

utterly agree. Theres no excuse for leaving rubbish around like that especially when there were so many bins around.

I also didn't like the fact that the world record pictures had a centre-piece of beer cans and puke.
picklesofdoom

Location: somewhere admiring the deep dark depths of my random mind

Postby Nekoni on Fri May 29, 2009 2:26 am

Nekoni

Postby Kyaaaaah on Sun May 31, 2009 12:47 am

Yeah. Agreed.
My shoes were killing me, but I couldn't take them off cause there was broken glass everywhere.
T_T;
Kyaaaaah

Postby gekamelon on Sun May 31, 2009 1:08 am

Broken glass sounds very bad.

Next expo if I go outside I'll take some black bags out and ask people for any litter they have so that they are not inclined to be lazy and leave it where they are. There will probably be some left over, but at least it's helping ^^
gekamelon

Postby Yatak on Sun May 31, 2009 1:49 am

Mr Grimmjow will claw peoples eyes out if he sees them leave broken glass on the floor... leaving litter is laziness, leaving glass is downright dangerous, there are people who go barefooted and there are small children about.
Yatak

Postby Gnetin on Sun May 31, 2009 2:04 am

I will be glad to help out with clearing up any rubbish in October.

Didn't go outside much during this event, only saw all the rubbish on my way back to the hotel.
Gnetin

Previous

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2009