Negativity on Free Hugs/Glomps !

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories.

Negativity on Free Hugs/Glomps !

Postby Shay-Chan on Thu May 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Hello, everyone who may view this topic!
Today, I spent a good chunk of my day going through past expo topics on free hugs and glompers. My word, some people are so rude! :O Fair enough, some people dont like them, but we're not all like that, I promise! I NEVER asked anyone. I only hugged people who wanted one, or people with signs. (for anyone wondering, I was the black girl with two friends, wearing blue, on the saturday, and wearing a Lucky Star swimsuit print T-shirt on the sunday, with one friend XD) I can understand why people would be upset if a random person hugged you or glomped you. Although I did get glomped out of the blue by a hoard of little girls. They looked so cute in their mini-cosplays! (not a perv, btw XD) Maybe it just depends on the person. ^_^ But some of the things I heard about October's expo were disgusting! One girl said that free huggers are people crying for attention. I personally found this very offending. I did not wear a free hugs sign just for attention. I actually did it for fun, and to know people. I actually got to know quite a few people through the hugging thinger, and they werent rude or anything! For crying out loud, its an EXPO! You come here to meet people who have things in common with you. You wouldnt come to mooch around with a long face (unless its hereditary, like mine. XD) Another against argument I feel coming would be the perverts etc. Okay, I get that, but then you have to have a leeway on who you hug. I only hugged people who were around my age group or looked it. If they were slightly older, I wouldnt even bother. Kids came and hugged me SO I WASNT PERVING! The thing is, you also cant say it depends on the person. ALL (and this is not a lie) of the people I hugged (close to about 200) were very nice! They didnt force themselves onto me or anything. Even the hugs I witnessed were all asked for and if they were rejected, they'd just walk away. But I think this may depend on the year. I dunno, my opinion mixed with the experiences I had.

Free glomps, however, is a different matter. XD Some people dont mind, like myself. But, free glompers out there, I suggest you heed this warning. DO NOT GLOMP A COSPLAYER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DONT KNOW THEM. I saw a VERY heated argument about this. Some people are very negative with this, so I suggest its best to stick hugs. And kisses. And swine flu. That lasts ones a joke. XD But nothing other than that may get you a few weird looks. ESPECIALLY from parents. I saw a dude with free rape. I LOL'd at it, but others didnt find it so funny. I also saw a few people with free swine flu. THATS quite funny, and I dont think people were offended by it. But I guess it just depends on you.

To round things off, People who see free hug signs: They just wanna have fun! Theres no need to give them dirty looks. They arent harming you in any way.
People who are asked for free hugs: Just say no! If they persist, attempt to attack them in some way, or shout at them. That'll startle them and they've lost themselves a free hug. Problem solved.
People who are forced into free hugs: I get that it happened, but you are your own person. You have the right to say no. No one is restricting your voice box. Speak and be heard! (sounds like some dodgy appeal advert. XD)

So yeah! Have fun all! PLEASE reply! I really wanna hear everyones opinion on this! :)
I need a new signature. -.-
Shay-Chan

Re: Negativity on Free Hugs/Glomps !

Postby Yatak on Thu May 28, 2009 5:35 pm

If you have looked at all the topics to see peoples opinions, why do you want to hear said opinions again?

This has been done to death, so much so that its actually becoming necrophilic
Yatak

Postby danyata on Thu May 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Yatak wrote:If you have looked at all the topics to see peoples opinions, why do you want to hear said opinions again?

This.
danyata

Postby Shay-Chan on Thu May 28, 2009 5:44 pm

I know that!
The whole point of this thread was to see whether or not people's opinions had actually changed?

Has yours?
I remember reading that you were really against the free huggers and such.
Shay-Chan

Postby xblackravenx on Thu May 28, 2009 5:46 pm

i actually have a new point to raise on this ian, tho i do love the weather report !

there was a guy on the sat walking around with a free hugs sign, which was fine as he was only holding it and waiting for ppl to come up to him, so i went and hugged him (i was in a good mood). however, after the hug he turned round the sign and it had "free snogs" written on the other side. the guy would not take no for an answer until tom came up to stand right by me.
after this, i noticed he was only holding up the free hugs sign when he saw girls that were on there own and holding onto them trying to get a snog.

this is not the way that 1, the girls that were nice enough to hug him should have been treated or 2, the way that free hugs should be used.

on a side note tho, i did notice there were a lot less ppl forcing hugs this time around so to those of u that respect the word no, thankyou
xblackravenx

Postby danyata on Thu May 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Shay-Chan wrote:I know that!
The whole point of this thread was to see whether or not people's opinions had actually changed?

I guarantee you that 90% of people's will not have.

With stuff like what blackraven posted happening, I imagine the other 10% will have changed into being negative towards them.
danyata

Postby Shay-Chan on Thu May 28, 2009 5:49 pm

xblackravenx wrote:i actually have a new point to raise on this ian, tho i do love the weather report !

there was a guy on the sat walking around with a free hugs sign, which was fine as he was only holding it and waiting for ppl to come up to him, so i went and hugged him (i was in a good mood). however, after the hug he turned round the sign and it had "free snogs" written on the other side. the guy would not take no for an answer until tom came up to stand right by me.
after this, i noticed he was only holding up the free hugs sign when he saw girls that were on there own and holding onto them trying to get a snog.

this is not the way that 1, the girls that were nice enough to hug him should have been treated or 2, the way that free hugs should be used.

on a side note tho, i did notice there were a lot less ppl forcing hugs this time around so to those of u that respect the word no, thankyou

I do not condone that whole snogs things. Had I been there, I would have boxed him. XD

xblackravenx (who was an AWESOME Soi Fon cosplayer) I would have used shunko on him, or something. XD

On a serious note though, he was quite out of order for doing that.
Shay-Chan

Postby Shay-Chan on Thu May 28, 2009 5:51 pm

danyata wrote:
Shay-Chan wrote:I know that!

I guarantee you that 90% of people's will not have.

With stuff like what blackraven posted happening, I imagine the other 10% will have changed into being negative towards them.

Aww damnit!

I the point Im trying to express is that we're not ALL like that !
Shay-Chan

Postby Yatak on Thu May 28, 2009 5:57 pm

My opinion of free huggers has not changed...

If they ask ill hug them, if they stick a sign under my nose and say nothing i won't. I have never had a real problem with rude free huggers (probably down to me being a bloke, and an ugly one at that). Like i said, as long as they are polite ill be polite back. R-E-S-P-E-C-T :) it does wonders why trying to make friends ;)
Yatak

Postby xblackravenx on Thu May 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Shay-Chan wrote:
I do not condone that whole snogs things. Had I been there, I would have boxed him. XD

xblackravenx (who was an AWESOME Soi Fon cosplayer) I would have used shunko on him, or something. XD

On a serious note though, he was quite out of order for doing that.

well i would probably have ended up hitting him if he didnt let go when tom came over.
:D thankyou v much ! when did u see me ?

Shay-Chan wrote:
Aww damnit!

I the point Im trying to express is that we're not ALL like that !

i think its helped that more people have been on the forums and have seen what negativity there is towards free hugs, and the reasons for it, and have maybe taken that into consideration this time around
xblackravenx

Postby Shay-Chan on Thu May 28, 2009 6:16 pm

xblackravenx wrote:well i would probably have ended up hitting him if he didnt let go when tom came over.
:D thankyou v much ! when did u see me ?

I saw you posing for a few photos and I think I saw you in the MASSIVE Bleach cosplay group.
Shay-Chan

Postby xblackravenx on Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Shay-Chan wrote:I saw you posing for a few photos and I think I saw you in the MASSIVE Bleach cosplay group.

yeh i had a lot of fun yelling at them all at the weekend :D
xblackravenx

Postby reddragon on Thu May 28, 2009 6:19 pm

I don't like the idea and I resent people coming up to me. In fact my mate said the same.

Its childish and silly and Huggers have got to remember that some people dont like to be hugged!!!!
reddragon

Postby gekamelon on Thu May 28, 2009 6:23 pm

If they say free hugs, then I'll hug them! Otherwise I obviously won't =P I haven't worn a sign yet, but if I did I wouldn't force people to hug me. I don't think anyone wants to be forced.

I think as long as you have respect and consideration then it's all fine. Some people want to free hug and that's fine, some people don't want that kind of thing and that's fine too. As long as we all stick to those rules then there can be no tension ^^
gekamelon

Postby Commander J on Thu May 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Free hugs do not make friends, they fuel Peadophilia.
Commander J

Postby Shay-Chan on Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm

gekamelon wrote:If they say free hugs, then I'll hug them! Otherwise I obviously won't =P I haven't worn a sign yet, but if I did I wouldn't force people to hug me. I don't think anyone wants to be forced.

I think as long as you have respect and consideration then it's all fine. Some people want to free hug and that's fine, some people don't want that kind of thing and that's fine too. As long as we all stick to those rules then there can be no tension ^^

Thank you !
That expresses the point Im trying to put across, but some people dont want to accept this.
Shay-Chan

Postby Shay-Chan on Thu May 28, 2009 6:30 pm

Commander J wrote:Free hugs do not make friends, they fuel Peadophilia.

Not really. :/
It depends on the person you hug or asks for a hug.
Shay-Chan

Postby Commander J on Thu May 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Shay-Chan wrote:

You poor deluded kid... you don't know the horrors of free hugs.
Commander J

Postby xblackravenx on Thu May 28, 2009 6:39 pm

Commander J wrote:
Shay-Chan wrote:

You poor deluded kid... you don't know the horrors of free hugs.

wanna share y u dont like them ?
xblackravenx

Postby Shay-Chan on Thu May 28, 2009 6:41 pm

Commander J wrote:
Shay-Chan wrote:

Commander J wrote:You poor deluded kid... you don't know the horrors of free hugs.

Not sure I like being called a poor, deluded kid. =_= XD
Anyway! Some people use the hugs as an excuse to 'cop a feel' and such, some dont. Thats the whole point of this thread; to let everyone know that not everyone uses the hugs to exploit (sp?) people.
Shay-Chan

Postby Commander J on Thu May 28, 2009 6:47 pm

xblackravenx wrote:wanna share y u dont like them ?

Pointless waste of time. If you want to talk to the person just go up and do it for christ sake. Better in the long run. Morons... Also learn how to spell you know "txtspeak" doesn't save you time, it just makes you look retarded.

Shay-chan wrote:Not sure I like being called a poor, deluded kid. =_= XD
Anyway! Some people use the hugs as an excuse to 'cop a feel' and such, some dont. Thats the whole point of this thread; to let everyone know that not everyone uses the hugs to exploit (sp?) people.

Read the other fawkton of other free hug threads that have been ransacked.
Commander J

Postby Senwyn on Thu May 28, 2009 6:53 pm

I don't mind if someone asks me for a free hug. And I know I randomly glomped someone on the sunday. (It was Finland from Hetalia. I spent the best part of saturday trying to avoid glomping Arthur and Alfred.. because it would have been out of character.. but then on sunday a Tino just appeared in front of me, suddenly.. and I just.. >_< If you read this, I'm sorrry!!!!)
But it's kind of scary when someone attacks you from behind. I got glomped by an L cosplayer on the saturday from behind and it almost gave me a panic attack, until I realised what had happened. Please ask!! It's only polite.
Senwyn

Postby zombie on Thu May 28, 2009 6:56 pm

As usual Commander J is on the level, if you want a hug ask for a damn hug.

You think a sign with trigger any affection or something.

Someone with a free hugger sign looks like someone who NEEEEEDS a hug bad, someone asking personally looks like someone who likes you. Think about it yeah?
zombie

Postby Ryoko on Thu May 28, 2009 7:16 pm

I dont like free hugs, Im not a huggy person. My friend however will hug anyone and she loves it, and thats fine... it means they dont get a chance to get past her and I can use her as a human shield.

There was an incident on Sunday when a (really pretty) girl walked up to my brother and said, "I am going to hug you now..." and then did so.
The look on my brother's Girlfriends face was so freakin priceless that I am still laughing at it.
That was awesome.... she was well annoyed.
Ryoko

Postby xblackravenx on Thu May 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Commander J wrote:
xblackravenx wrote:wanna share y u dont like them ?

Pointless waste of time. If you want to talk to the person just go up and do it for christ sake. Better in the long run. Morons... Also learn how to spell you know "txtspeak" doesn't save you time, it just makes you look retarded.

actually it is easier for me, as half of the keys on my keyboard dont work properly and i hate having to re-read what i've written
just because i don't type properly all the time does not mean i don't know how to spell. you should really stop assuming things about me.
and would you prefer if people held signs or if every single person in the building came up to you and asked you for a hug ? at least with the signs they are starting to get better at just going up to the other people who also have them
xblackravenx

Next

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2009