taking pictures of cosplayers

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories.

taking pictures of cosplayers

Postby samba7d on Sat May 30, 2009 2:06 pm

ok this is probably a stupid question so i will say sorry straight away but i was wondering all of u in cosplay i wanted 2 take your pics so much but i was kind of like ahhhhhhhhhhh am i allowed 2 i wasnt in cosplay and i noticed most of the people takin pics where alllll dresssed up and takin pics of each other sooooooooo yeah i was like ????????? am i alllowed 2 take your pics

sorrrrrrrrrrrry i know stupid question but i reallllly was like ahhhhhhhhhh i sooooooo want 2 take your pics but i was like ??????? am i alllowed 2 or infact would u want your pic taken by a non cosplayer
maji yabiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :)
samba7d

Re: taking pictures of cosplayers

Postby Zaiburst on Sat May 30, 2009 2:13 pm

It's always polite to ask before taking photos, but I think that it's clear that all cosplayers are happy to have their pictures taken. It doesn't matter if you're in cosplay or not :)
Zaiburst

Postby Gnetin on Sat May 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Zaiburst is correct. Always ask first.

I was mostly stopped and asked for photos politely, bar a few who tried to snap a couple while I was trying to get some rest.
But you'll always get those sorts of photo hit 'n' runs.

The majority will always stop and ask though, always pays to be polite.
Gnetin

Postby Yatak on Sat May 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Its fine :D

Just try your best to ask so they can pose first ^^.
Yatak

Postby dragonofinfinity on Sat May 30, 2009 2:58 pm

Most of us in costume are happy to be asked and to pose for pictures. If you come up to a somone/a group of people in costume and say "hi, do you mind if I take your picture?" (or similar) most people will not mind unless we are on the phone/eating/running to the loo/readjusting wigs/on the spot mending types of things.

Don't worry about not being in costume and asking for pics;
we are often happier about someone not in costume asking for a pic and letting us make sure our cotume is straight and pose than someone in costume trying to ninja a picture when we are not ready.
dragonofinfinity

Postby Ever Dream on Sat May 30, 2009 3:30 pm

I think that's your question answered, my friend :D I myself love when people ask for photos; it shows my cosplay has been recognized (Yey! :D) and that they like it enough to want a photo :) So please, do feel free to ask :D (Especially if you run halfway across the hall trying to catch us - what a sweet girl :lol: )

People were quite considerate this year I found, especially when my cosplay partner and I were resting; we were only asked for photos while we were obviously having a break a few times, and even then the person asking was very apologetic about it :D I think asking when cosplayers are eating is a definate no-no however. I didn't get "asked" for any photos, but one girl did sort of run up and take our pictures, so somebody out there has a delightful picture of Rincewind wrestling with a fajita wrap that was determined to splodge everywhere :lol: .
May: Rincewind and Twoflower RETURN :)
Ever Dream

Postby Mickolas on Sat May 30, 2009 3:47 pm

dragonofinfinity wrote:than someone in costume trying to ninja a picture when we are not ready.

Sorry =<

It's just that sometimes I get really too shy to ask ^^;
Mickolas

Postby samba7d on Sat May 30, 2009 4:46 pm

thank u soooooooooooooo much everyone for your replies

thats what i wanted 2 do i wanted 2 goooooooo up and ask can i take a pic please and telllll u allll just how freakin coooooooooool u alll looooked but i wont lie i was like ahhhhhhhhhhhh u allll looook soooooooooo coooool how can i just randomly gooooo up and ask ermmm excuse me mind if i take u pic of u u alllllllllll loooook amazing and i was like ahhhhhhhhhh i was like proper intimated but hopfulllly next year i willll have the courage 2 ask 2 take some of your pics

hahahaha that would be soooooooo werid if u asked r u that guy from the forum lol when i ask 2 take your pic

thank u soooooooooo much again everyone :)
maji yabiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :)
samba7d

Postby Zaiburst on Sat May 30, 2009 10:42 pm

One thing I regret not doing more of this Expo is getting photos taken "with" people. I did that a lot last year for october's expo. I'd just walk around and then go up to people I was impressed by and ask if I could get a photo with them, and if I didn't have a friend around, I'd just ask a random stranger if it would be ok if they'd take a photo of the both of us. Haha. They're almost always glad to do so.

Sometimes when people would ask me for a photo this expo, I half expected them to get in the photo with me, but most often they didn't.

I think it is slightly more intimidating for people to ask others if they would mind taking photos with you, but I think a lot of the time they make the best photos. It's fun seeing characters together from different sources. And I don't mind getting photos taken with plain clothed folks either, since it shows they like your costume and want to show their friends that they were next to said character :D
So yeah, I recommend people do this more :)
Zaiburst

Postby gekamelon on Sat May 30, 2009 11:54 pm

I generally ask people for photos as the reason they are cosplaying is to be seen. Occasionally, I will do 'hit and run' photos, but that is if I'm in a crowd getting swamped along and see a good cosplay and think 'Need to take this opportunity'. But I don't put those photos on public view as they are not the best quality and it may cause concern to show pictures where they are not in a pose they feel comfortable having a picture in. So usually those photos I just keep to jog my memory of the kinds of cosplayers that were there.

And the only other time I don't ask is when others are taking a picture of a posed cosplayer, as seeing as they are in a pose already, it would be meaningless to slow them down by asking again and getting them to pose again. Particularly if they have awkward props.

Otherwise, simply ask! I think 9 times out of 10 the cosplayers like it and also you will not seem strange as hundreds of people do the same anyway.

Oh and the reason I don't get into photos with cosplayers is because I wouldn't want to ruin the photo with my ugly face XD
gekamelon

Postby TurkFox on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Also, use your common sense on when to ask - my mate was cosplaying as the Tenth Doctor and people were even asking for his photo when he was trying to buy a drink in a shop!
TurkFox

Postby animegirlxxx123999 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:35 pm

well me and my friends were trying to sort our bags out and stuff and a person asked for our picture we weren't in the best position and she looked nice so we had to put ALL of our stuff down and pose for the camera then after we had to try and sort out 20 odd bags to see which was who's >_>
animegirlxxx123999

Postby Becca-Storm on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Zaiburst wrote:One thing I regret not doing more of this Expo is getting photos taken "with" people. I did that a lot last year for october's expo. I'd just walk around and then go up to people I was impressed by and ask if I could get a photo with them, and if I didn't have a friend around, I'd just ask a random stranger if it would be ok if they'd take a photo of the both of us. Haha. They're almost always glad to do so.

Sometimes when people would ask me for a photo this expo, I half expected them to get in the photo with me, but most often they didn't.

I think it is slightly more intimidating for people to ask others if they would mind taking photos with you, but I think a lot of the time they make the best photos. It's fun seeing characters together from different sources. And I don't mind getting photos taken with plain clothed folks either, since it shows they like your costume and want to show their friends that they were next to said character :D
So yeah, I recommend people do this more :)

xD i regret not having batteries in my camera !!!!! i didnt get any until like saturday evening when i was stayed in the main central of excel.. lol and i nly had time to take a few.. so imphoto hunting and asking if its klkl, making a vid of them (with companion cube song overleaf and abit of a rave song fo the one that break-danced for a free hug xD she was awesome.) to make up enough pictures for the expos just gone (oct, and may, my 1st and second!!) lol yea me too, this lil kid asked for a photo with me.. she was a mini naru or something, i was lik AWEEE so cute!_! .. ive rambeled a bit... exhaustion xD, lol yea i agree with the characters from different animes & mangas together... then agin some of the non cosplayers looked like they were in cosplay anyway xD
when you see us cosplay, the inner child inside us secretly wants to join
Becca-Storm

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - MAY 2009