Masquerade - Placeholder

Discuss the UK's largest Masquerade event which takes place both days during the London MCM Expo.

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

Re: Masquerade - Placeholder

Postby Ilpala on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:43 pm

xaerael wrote:do we have a rough signup date yet? i don't want to miss it like last time =x

Were currently aiming for the weekend of the 25th/26th
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby kyothekat on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Ilpala wrote:
xaerael wrote:do we have a rough signup date yet? i don't want to miss it like last time =x

Were currently aiming for the weekend of the 25th/26th

god damned it i wont be anywhere near a pc for those days!! :(...... im gutted :(
~KpopKimi~
kyothekat

Postby LadyLaraCroft on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Ilpala wrote:Were currently aiming for the weekend of the 25th/26th

WOO!!! :mrgreen:
I am TheEmoEmu. Deal with it.
LadyLaraCroft

Postby TheMasqueradeMoth on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:00 pm

w00t, I can arrange sleepover for then!

Oh, for my Masquerade plan entry thing, I'm dying a pair of jeans and pleating them for the trousers he has. Is that enough?

I've made the waistcoat from scratch, I bought the stripey top (I can make it if ya want, but I haven't done sleeves before) and biker boots and gloves and goggles.

Our Misa's outfit is all hand made, bar undergarments and gloves and boots

Near's trousers are hand made, and is debating on if she can make a shirt.

Mello top is hand made, and everything else is leather, which none of us know how to work with...

(and we have a funny skit)

Is this enough?
TheMasqueradeMoth

Postby CrystalNeko on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:49 am

Yaaay! Awesome! Thanks Ilpala ^_^
CrystalNeko

Postby Granny Gertrude on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 pm

Okay. We're getting a lot of questions now about how much you have to make. The answer is simple- if it is not all made by yourself, you might not be allowed in. If you want to be sure, then make (or heavily modify) as much as possible.

Submit your entry anyway when advance registrations open, along with your reference pictures, progress pictures, and so on. We will either accept the entry, ask some further questions, or reject it. When registrations open and we have submissions coming in, we'll be in a better position to answer these questions.

Is that fair enough? Forums are not the ideal medium for these questions I'm afraid.
Joe 'Granny Gertrude' Sutton
Cosplay @ Expo
www.facebook.com/grannygertrude
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby LadyLaraCroft on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:57 pm

For the regestration, do you have to include progress pics cuz I haven't taken any and my outfit's almost done.
I am TheEmoEmu. Deal with it.
LadyLaraCroft

Postby Granny Gertrude on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Progress pictures are not mandatory, but if you were doing something that was commonly sold or could be made out of bought parts eg Akatsuki or Bleach captain costumes, then they can be used as evidence to us that you made the costume. Judges may (or may not) like them, they can be chucked up on cosplay sites like Cosplay Island, and you can use them to reminisce about the good ol' days when drawing a pension. Overall, a good thing, but no, not mandatory- after all, not everyone owns a digital camera or considers taken photos of the construction when bitten by the cosplay bug.
Cosplay @ Expo
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby CrystalNeko on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Oooh so in our forms we could just link to our Cosplay Island costume page with progress pictures [and VERY long ramblings in my case ^^;;] on our journals? Or would we have to print them out and show the judges themselves?

In the past I've just included progress pictures in the form itself but I've been keeping journals like mad and it'd be much easier to show the costume page if that's allowed xD
CrystalNeko

Postby Granny Gertrude on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:15 pm

By all means include a Cosplay Island link, but I would pick out a few choice photos and similar to actually email across in case Disgaea 3 distracts me :3
Cosplay @ Expo
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby CrystalNeko on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Haha, will do! Thanks! ^_^
CrystalNeko

Postby TheMasqueradeMoth on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 am

We are taking cosplay pics, but they won't be done until after the masquerade is open.

I'll make Matt's top, and get "Near" to make the shirt. That way, only accessories and evil-making stuff (jeans and leather trousers) won't matter... I think... I should of taken a before and after shot of my jeans before I dyed them lol.
TheMasqueradeMoth

Postby kyothekat on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:30 am

another question... ill deffo be sending in pics (thats if im near a comp :P) but what about the music we want.. as all ill need will be a bleach track or a naruto track... as i want to enter my kon and pak-kun cosplay on the sunday but we want to go out together?!!... im kinda stuck on wether to send the music to u on the form.. and also ... what to do about the costumes !!.... gahhh
~KpopKimi~
kyothekat

Postby Ilpala on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:30 pm

If you want specific music you have to email it to us in advance, at least a week before Expo.

I'm guessing your problem is that you both want to go on together but your costumes are from different series and therefore have different music.
If thats the case your options are:
1) Choose a single track, perhaps a more generic piece instead of a specific series opening or whatever and both come o together.
2) Edit the Bleach and Naruto tracks into one, so you have say 30 secs of Bleach and then 30secs of Naruto and time your stage entry so that Kon comes on first followed by Pak-kun when his music starts.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Freyarule on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Ok, that sounds fair with the "see if you get in" idea. I understand fully :3

Thanks for your time, you're doing great ^^
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
Freyarule

Postby kyothekat on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:49 pm

Ilpala wrote:If you want specific music you have to email it to us in advance, at least a week before Expo.

I'm guessing your problem is that you both want to go on together but your costumes are from different series and therefore have different music.
If thats the case your options are:
1) Choose a single track, perhaps a more generic piece instead of a specific series opening or whatever and both come o together.
2) Edit the Bleach and Naruto tracks into one, so you have say 30 secs of Bleach and then 30secs of Naruto and time your stage entry so that Kon comes on first followed by Pak-kun when his music starts.

you my friend seem to be on the same level as me lol... glad someone understood :P....
i like your idea of merging 2 into one..... but i think ill go wiv a more generic one :D.. hehe... and is it posible to come out on different sides of the stage (opposite each other?)...
ty agen .. and like others have said... u are doin a great job :d.... makes life a lil easier for us masquerade noobs :P
~KpopKimi~
kyothekat

Postby Youkai_Miko on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:02 pm

just a couple quick questions;
when the forms are released is it one form per performance or per person?
do all the progress pictures of the various cosplays have to be sent with the same form?
also what other sorts of information is needed for the form? any example forms anywhere? from previous expos?
as our group is from various parts of the country and thus have to email information to each other and i wanted to make sure that we all know what sorts of things we'll need from each other, instead of getting half-way through the form and finding out we don't have the correct information >_< will things like names be needed? ages? birthdays? things like that is what i mean :)
also as this is my first hand made cosplay (and i read the earlier message) i just wanted to check that heavily modified cosplays combined with some parts made form scratch are acceptable? i can make more by hand if need be but my top was originally a hoodie which has had the hood and sleeves removed and then been sewn over, with the replacement sleeves made from scratch, then details and buttons (which where bought then repainted) have been added, the skirt has been dyed (or is currently waiting to be dyed as the case may be), the necklace was an old necklace that was repainted, the wig is bought and so are the socks, the decorative belt is two belts modified the be attached together, and the shoes are going to be bought hand then painted, dyes and sliced n diced. the ice claw will also be made from scratch however im not sure if it will be brought on stage at this moment :S
i am aware of the previous post stating that it is hard to say for definite whether your cosplay will be allowed but this is just for rough guidance so that i know if more needs to be hand made or not ^-^
thank you for helping ^///^ (and sorry for the long post >_<)
Youkai_Miko

Postby CrystalNeko on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Ah I can't remember if this has asked before or not [In fact.. I think it has but I can't find it D'x]

But what's the maximum number of people on stage? We have 14 people in our group - obviously not ALL of us will be on stage at the same time until perhaps the VERY end for a group photo for the audience? Is that okay? ^_^;;
CrystalNeko

Postby Ilpala on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:54 pm

CrystalNeko wrote:Ah I can't remember if this has asked before or not [In fact.. I think it has but I can't find it D'x]

But what's the maximum number of people on stage? We have 14 people in our group - obviously not ALL of us will be on stage at the same time until perhaps the VERY end for a group photo for the audience? Is that okay? ^_^;;

Really it depends on what your doing. We can probably get 14 on but you will have to be walking on and doing static poses, no moving about I'm afraid.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Youkai_Miko wrote:just a couple quick questions;
when the forms are released is it one form per performance or per person?
do all the progress pictures of the various cosplays have to be sent with the same form?
also what other sorts of information is needed for the form?

You only need to fill one form in per group entry, so just nominate one person from your group to fill it in.
On the form we need name, age and address for the group leader. Who and what your cosplaying, if your performing and if you have a specific introduction you would like read out. Things like that.

We do need full details for groups (Names, ages, cosplays etc) but you will be instructed to email any additional details to the cosplay email address after you have submitted your entry - so you don't have to panic to get everything in all in one go.
Things like progress pictures and audio tracks should alos be sent through in a separate email after you have submitted your form.

Youkai_Miko wrote:also as this is my first hand made cosplay (and i read the earlier message) i just wanted to check that heavily modified cosplays combined with some parts made form scratch are acceptable?

From your description it sounds like you should be fine :)
Please do bear Grannies previous statement in mind though, the more you have made the better.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:11 pm

kyothekat wrote:... and is it posible to come out on different sides of the stage (opposite each other?)...

I'm afraid that's not normally possible, while we won't know for certain until we actually see the stage layout on the day it's not normally set up to allow large costumes on, on both sides.
One side is normally cluttered with cables and back stage stuff so can't normally be used on Health and Safety grounds :(
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby kyothekat on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Ilpala wrote:
kyothekat wrote:... and is it posible to come out on different sides of the stage (opposite each other?)...

I'm afraid that's not normally possible, while we won't know for certain until we actually see the stage layout on the day it's not normally set up to allow large costumes on, on both sides.
One side is normally cluttered with cables and back stage stuff so can't normally be used on Health and Safety grounds :(

*cries in the corner*... nah thats fine.. just me bein differcult :P....and well.. kons head is kinda big... pak-kun isnt really lol... is there any way if someone wants to say enter the sunday masquerade, but isnt able to get to a pc on the 25th/26th..to say save a space for them?.... as unfortunately im away from all living creatures and away from my pc/any pc's.... and i would really like to enter me and my dad as pak-kun and kon on the sunday :(.... and thanx agen ilpala i really appreciate the replys :D...

EDIT:- my mum said she would love to be in on the masquerade to... and she can wear my pak-kun cosplay.. i also have my mayuri one.. would it be possible to put all 3 of my cosutmes which i made on stage at the same time?..... mayuri (me) and kon (dad) are from bleach and pak-kun (mum) is from naruto, but we would all like to go out together... thos each one with a lil introducition.. if not.. tis no probs :D...
~KpopKimi~
kyothekat

Postby Ilpala on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm afraid we can't save places for anyone. We have so many people wanting to take part in the masquerade nowadays that the only fair way for us to allocate spaces is on a first come first served basis :?

On the plus side, Sundays masquerade never fills up as quickly as saturdays so there should still be places available on the Monday :wink:
And if that fails a number of places are saved so that people can register at Expo on the day so you could try for one of those too.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby MochiMoto on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Forgive my ultra noobage for this question but how does this work? I want in on the Masqurade how does one go about getting an application form? if this question has already been answered (which I'm sure it has, I appologise... but there are over 300 posts to look through.
MochiMoto

Postby Granny Gertrude on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:47 pm

All questions to here from now on:

viewtopic.php?f=223&t=11102

However, to wrap up the last few questions:

As long as the person who has constructed them is on stage, they can have other people on stage with them to wear extra costumes. So if you make three costumes, other people can wear two of them if they are on stage with you wearing the third.

You cannot download an entry form, but you fill it out on the website itself. From the 26/04/09 there will be a link to it here:

http://www.londonexpo.com/show_features ... _expo.html

Spaces are allocated on a first come, first served basis to applicants with eligible costumes - it is important to read the rules first! Note that the rules on the website currently are for last year (new ones will be up soon), the current rules are here:

http://www.londonexpo.com/show_features ... _expo.html

If you cannot register yourself on Sunday 26/04/09 and are worried that spaces will fill up too fast, then call in a favour and have someone register you on your behalf.
Cosplay @ Expo
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Previous

Return to COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO - MAY 2009