Masquerade - Placeholder

Discuss the UK's largest Masquerade event which takes place both days during the London MCM Expo.

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

Re: Masquerade - Placeholder

Postby hakuloveszabuza on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Going on first might be a better idea just as long as there is room not to damage costumes...that means everyones as I would hate to poke someone in a very delicate, pretty costume by accident with my big manly armour lol
hakuloveszabuza

Postby Moozman on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:32 pm

hakuloveszabuza wrote:Going on first might be a better idea just as long as there is room not to damage costumes...that means everyones as I would hate to poke someone in a very delicate, pretty costume by accident with my big manly armour lol

I agree they should be moved closer to the front (i have cosplayed as gloomy bear and if anyone saw me in oct last year they would know my pain XD) but you don't want to move all at the front cuz you want the proportion of large cosplayers to be spread so as not to bore the audience...

Moozman
Moozman

Postby kitty_yachiru on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:06 pm

im not sure if its been raised yet...or even if its relevant...but something that i'd like to see with the masquerade is a designated photographer area... such as a raised bit of platform maybe.. as i know from expirience its almost impossible to try and get a good photo of cosplayers when your stuck behind a huge person with even bigger hair, and when you look back at your photos you end up with only half a cosplayer and the rest of the image is crowd members, also i was worried that if i stood up i'd block someone elses way...so has there ever been or would it be possible in future events to have an photography area??
kitty x
Mooooo? OH!! Moooooooo
kitty_yachiru

Postby Reser on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:12 pm

kitty_yachiru wrote:im not sure if its been raised yet...or even if its relevant...but something that i'd like to see with the masquerade is a designated photographer area... such as a raised bit of platform maybe.. as i know from expirience its almost impossible to try and get a good photo of cosplayers when your stuck behind a huge person with even bigger hair, and when you look back at your photos you end up with only half a cosplayer and the rest of the image is crowd members, also i was worried that if i stood up i'd block someone elses way...so has there ever been or would it be possible in future events to have an photography area??
kitty x

This would be nice, maybe have seperate tickets for people who want to be in the photography area? or charge a small fee? I would probably pay £1-2 if it meant i would get a good view to video from.
Reser

Postby SephNoir on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:43 pm

I think the idea of having a raised part of the stage for photos would be awesome. For the entrants as well, it's nice to be able to get some good photos from the masquerade. Even just having an X on stage where people stop for photos is easier than having photos taken all along the run way which normally end up bluring because everyone is still moving on stage.
SephNoir

Postby ShurikenFire on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:48 pm

I wanted to go onstage for saturday and be able to enter my costume for the masquerade, but after talking to a friend a few days ago we thought we'd do some performance thing.
Am i able to still take part in a performance AND be in the judging for costume?
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby Ilpala on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:53 am

ShurikenFire wrote:Am i able to still take part in a performance AND be in the judging for costume?

Yep, doing a performance does not preclude you from winning a best costume prize, you could win either :)

It's important to remember though that the masquerade is primarily a costume competition, It's only in the last year or so that we have had enough people submitting performance entries for us to be able to offer a prize for best performance :)
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:52 am

I want to wear a large costume, can we have more space?

I'm no stranger to stupidly large or awkward costumes so I know the problems well. We push for more backstage space and better (read: safer) stage access every year, in fact Oct 08 was the first time we had close to enough space. And it's something that we will continue to push for.

However, it's an unfortunate truth that the stage area is already a lot bigger than it needs to be for the sake of the Masquerade (we managed to get the catwalk added for example) and that we only ever find out exactly what it's like when we arrive at Expo. The upshot being that you should not make any plans for costumes based on the hope for a bigger stage and larger stage access - we just can't make any promises in this area :(

One of the biggest problems are the steps onto the stage, weve managed to make them bigger but it's unlikly that we can get rid of them completely. Steps are very dangerouse, especialy to costumes that have large feet (that don't fit on the steps) or raised platforms (that effect your sence of balance). If Health and Safety don't think you can get up those steps they won't let you on stage, so please think about your costumes very carefully!

Unless we announce otherwise please assume that maximum costume width is about 4ft and maximum height about 7ft for bulky costumes. We really don't want to see anyone turned away on the day because there costumes are too big to safely be on stage.

I'm in a big/hot costume, where will I be in the running order?

Big costumes not only get in everyone elses way but get very unconfortable and hot when your waiting for the masquerade to start. For this reason if you advance register we always try to schedule you close to the start of the show.

On-the-day registrants tend to go on in the order they sign up in to make organisation easier but we do try to prioritise large costumes even then.

I'm a photographer, can we have a photography area for the masquerade?

This has been raised before but we'll ask, realistically there are several issues; Theres H&S matters to doing so, staging reduces the already insufficient audiance space and, to be honest, the first people Expo will give access to this area are their official photographers, Sponsors photographers and Press photographers - leaving little space for anyone else :(
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby RanmaSyaoranSaotome on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Ilpala wrote:
I want to wear a large costume, can we have more space?

Unless we announce otherwise please assume that maximum costume width is about 4ft and maximum height about 7ft for bulky costumes. We really don't want to see anyone turned away on the day because there costumes are too big to safely be on stage.

In my case, a Tachkoma will be bigger than that >_<

BUT!

Would it be acceptable as part of a skit to assemble it onstage? (Taking about 2 min) With say a giant curtain held over it and random sound effects being played as it's made? (My head popping out from behind the curtain, etc..)

It'll be a very lightweight wire mesh frame, that I wheel around on casters so it's not going to be a case of me balancing precariously, etc.. XD
RanmaSyaoranSaotome

Postby ShurikenFire on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:13 pm

Another thing about our performance is that we want to be able to cue the music on a signal rather than have them playing it before we've had a chance to get on stage, it's all part of the attitude of the performance xD
Image Lil Rick.
ShurikenFire

Postby Ilpala on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:27 pm

@ShurikenFire
We can normally arrange for music to be played on a que :D

@ RanmaSyaoranSaotome:
I would imagine that should be workable, the only problem I see with your Tachi costume is that it will be too wide to get through the back stage area and up the steps, so if it can be easily assembled on stage as part of a performance, quids in! :D
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ikkaku_Madarame on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:25 pm

hmmm i like that idea Ranma, assembly on stage behind a screen... because its only really Dogs arms that would cause a problem getting on/off so i could put them on, on stage no problem, great idea ^^ and thanks for clearing stuff up for is Ilpala and G.G
I work best when im cheap 8-)
Ikkaku_Madarame

Postby RanmaSyaoranSaotome on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:36 pm

It should be fine IF we have the same space as October (and this one is planned for October 09). Basically I'd have the legs dettachable and the back "pod" detachable from the front "ROUND THINGIE". XD
RanmaSyaoranSaotome

Postby Akraru on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:53 pm

dunno if this is the right place to ask this but i was wondering, im hoping to enter the Masqurade in May and i understand the rules about the costume but what about the shoes/boots? cause both of the costume has knee high boots, 1 will be modifide with armor all round it but the other one will be bought from ebay (see my signature below). whats the rules on those and will i be ok to enter?
Akraru

Postby Ilpala on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:00 am

Akraru wrote:dunno if this is the right place to ask this but i was wondering, im hoping to enter the Masqurade in May and i understand the rules about the costume but what about the shoes/boots? cause both of the costume has knee high boots, 1 will be modifide with armor all round it but the other one will be bought from ebay (see my signature below). whats the rules on those and will i be ok to enter?

The majority of your costume needs to be hand made or modified to qualify, it is perfectly acceptable to buy some items, especialy things like boots and shoes or wigs as long as you have put time and effort in to craft other major aspects of your costume.

The sort of things that arn't acceptable are:
commisioned or ready made costume sets bought from ebay or a cosplay shop (for example)
Costumes that comprise shop bought suits or bought trouser+top combinations with only minor additions or modifications.

The number of people wanted to enter the masquerade has now become so high that we are having to be much stricter on these rules :(
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby uber-nerd on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:36 pm

See... Our group gets away with a lot. In hellsing we had a walter decked out in primark, but because there was me with fake boobs and big gun everyone was like "yeah, sure, do it."

Anyway, I do have a relevant question- how dangerous would you consider powerisers to be? I've got a costume that needs them, and I was wondering if I'd be allowed to wear them on stage. They only give about 1-2 foot extra height, and I can walk up steps safely in them. I can even carry a pole for extra balance if you want me to, not like I need it though. I even have safety pads and a group of friends to catch me if need be!

(If you don't know, these are powerisers)

Tab
uber-nerd

Postby Akraru on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Ilpala wrote:
Akraru wrote:dunno if this is the right place to ask this but i was wondering, im hoping to enter the Masqurade in May and i understand the rules about the costume but what about the shoes/boots? cause both of the costume has knee high boots, 1 will be modifide with armor all round it but the other one will be bought from ebay (see my signature below). whats the rules on those and will i be ok to enter?

The majority of your costume needs to be hand made or modified to qualify, it is perfectly acceptable to buy some items, especialy things like boots and shoes or wigs as long as you have put time and effort in to craft other major aspects of your costume.

The sort of things that arn't acceptable are:
commisioned or ready made costume sets bought from ebay or a cosplay shop (for example)
Costumes that comprise shop bought suits or bought trouser+top combinations with only minor additions or modifications.

The number of people wanted to enter the masquerade has now become so high that we are having to be much stricter on these rules :(

ah thnx for that :)
Akraru

Postby Granny Gertrude on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:16 pm

See... Our group gets away with a lot. In hellsing we had a walter decked out in primark, but because there was me with fake boobs and big gun everyone was like "yeah, sure, do it."

You may not have got away with that in Octoberas how strict we are moves in accordance with demand- October places were in higher demand even than May this year, and we'll consider that the benchmark for London Expo in future. But yes, performance groups have been allowed to have a shop bought costume in their number previously.

Powerisers- I think in theory they're okay, we'd want to see you move in them before we let you on stage with them though.
Skates are less well liked by Health & Safety than stilts.
Joe 'Granny Gertrude' Sutton
Cosplay @ Expo
www.facebook.com/grannygertrude
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby uber-nerd on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:35 pm

I'll make sure to practice a lot more. Though I don't want to get too cocky on them and start pulling stunts. That can only end in pain for me. And my costume.

It is just like walking normally in them, just a bit higher, and have to move a lot to keep balance. Which means I'll be fine as long as I don't have to completely still for a long period of time. Oh, and keep me away from crowds and glompers. If anyone attempts to glomp me in those I will kick them in the face.

That will teach them to be affectionate.

But anyway, thanks for letting us do all the masquarade stuff- I don't think I've ever thanked you guys for it, so I'm doing it now. Also, thanks for being actual cosplayers and understanding our needs when it comes to things.

Tab
uber-nerd

Postby Granny Gertrude on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:06 pm

When speaking to the guy in charge of the main stage on the Friday before the October Expo to discuss the fact we had someone cosplaying a bus, he made it quite clear that if they think a costume is too large, they will not allow it. We will be updating the rules to reflect this- while of course we will request as large an entrance as possible, we'll all have to work with what we're given :/

We will make sure the people arranging the main stage are aware of potential large costumes.

When asking about a ramp prior to October Expo:

"Unfortunately it will not be possible to have a ramp, it is fraught with too many complexities and safety issues. However, we are adapting the area around the stage treads so that ingress/egress should be easier."

The necessary size and clearance of the ramp makes it unlikely we will see one for the stage at Expo. We can continue to raise it, but I would not hold your breath.

Probably not the answers you wanted- if it was in our power to resolve these we would. I'm sure that if a realistic and cost effective solution to the stage entrance / ramp issue was found, it would be implemented.
Cosplay @ Expo
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby Granny Gertrude on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:26 pm

i know this is the wrong place to post this but i don't think you have an appropriate thread-
can someobdy please change this website's clock to the right time? It is an hour too fast and its driving me nuts! XDDD

Got a response today - I've been informed the forum clock is right, you might want to check your user settings as if you've set your profile to BST then that may be causing the problem.

Check the User Control Panel then Board Preferences.
Cosplay @ Expo
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby Granny Gertrude on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:11 pm

Actually the rules on the stability and angle of the slope of a ramp are pretty strict. To get up to the height of the stage it would be a very very long ramp. So either the stage would have to come away from the wall a fair distance (making a chunk of space useless) or the ramp would have to... go through the support for the stage and support structure.

Conventions can afford to spend a couple of hours prepping the masq area as well- different type of event to Expo (for a start they have more time to play with) but yes, I don't to see anyone unable to take part due to the stage limitations.
Cosplay @ Expo
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO - MAY 2009