ComicVillage Oct 2009. Were you there?

You can discuss the various Comic companies, artists and writers who have or will be attending the London MCM Expo as part of 'COMIC VILLAGE @ EXPO'

ComicVillage Oct 2009. Were you there?

Postby emsie on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Since the ComicVillage seems to be picking up some real steam at the MCM these days, it seems only right we start some seriously comic-related topics in here...like, what did you buy? ^_~

Manga talk is of course welcome here too, as manga are comics just like any other sequential art. But all you Marvel, DC, Avatar, 200AD, webcomic, indie and wotnot fans, don't be shy! Were you there? What did you like, what did you buy, who made you laugh, who made you cry?

^_^
emsie

Re: ComicVillage Oct 2009. Were you there?

Postby kirayna on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 pm

I didn't buy anything but I did get Ben Templesmith to sign my copy of Hatter M :mrgreen:
kirayna

Postby Toadsanime on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Shamefully, I don't think I even stopped by at ComicVillage for long if at all. :o
Toadsanime

Postby clairefun on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 pm

I spent most of my time inside Expo at the Comic Village, and bought FreakAngels vol 3, Crossed 007, Frankenstein's Womb by Warren Ellis, Black Summer by Warren Ellis, Chronicles of Wormwood, Preacher : Ancient histories, Cages, Cancertown, and Layer Zero from Insomnia Publishing, and looked at and longed for much, much more. Oh and a large FreakAngels bag as well. Yeah, I'm a Warren Ellis fangirl, I guess it shows!

I enjoyed the Comic Village more this time round than ever before - there was lots of variety, plenty of space, everyone seemed very keen for you to browse and to tell you about their stuff if you wanted to be told. One of the things I love about it is how it's changed so much over the years and although most of the Expo is still anime, games, sci-fi (and there's nothing wrong with any of that! Except they're all a bit crowded and noisy..) is that this time for the first time ever I was going FOR the Comic Village most of all. I love the way you get independents / self-published stuff next to Avatar Press, for example - I bought books I could have bought from my local comic store (if only I had one) but I also bought books I would never have discovered anywhere else. I know there's a few comic events going on here and there but they usually seem *entirely* small press, and much smaller, and I love the Expo for its all-round experience (and yes, I do cosplay. And may do a freak angel next! Though I promised Jacen Burrows I'd be a 'Crossed' if Avatar are back next October...).

I *would* like to see more stalls selling assorted comics / graphic novels - I only found one and could barely look at their selection as it was always too crowded, and much as I love my Avatar Press I was hoping to pick up a couple of Vertigo titles I've read about online but would like to look at before I buy - no comic store near me and although you can easily buy bigger name books on Amazon or whatever, I like to have a look first!

Apart from that - Avatar should come back again ;) and so should Mr Ellis, come to that. He did sort of secretly enjoy it even if he didn't really want to , it seems. Paul Duffield is one of the loveliest (and talented!) men in existence I believe (and wasn't too phased when I said I'm his stalker, which is nice!) and I very much enjoyed the chats I had with Jacen Burrows and Keiren Gillen - and other people too, but they were probably the people I talked to most. The Comic Village basically made my Expo and I'm already looking forward to the next one :)
clairefun

Postby Leopard-Lad on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm loving the fact that comic village is getting bigger. Its awesome there's an event in London where you can meet top industry talent and rising stars as well. While I love my anime and manga, I prefer American comic books generally so I was in the past apprehensive that the big anime influx would drown out the comic side of things. But thankfully despite what the cosplay may suggest, the expo maintained a great balance between the two. This year was great. Old school Batman writer Alan Grant, great new Ultimate Spider-Man artist David Lafuente, Jamie McKelvie and Kieron Gillen always great and to top it off new Daredevil writer Andy Diggle. Those are some great guests.

As far as what I got, I got some Batman comics signed by Alan Grant, Ultimate Spider-Man and X-Men comics signed by David Lafuente as well as an awesome Spidey head sketch and Daredevil comics signed by Andy Diggle. Also brought Phonogram Singles Club #2 and got it signed by Mckelvie and Co. Also got some Amazing Spider-Man back issues (Kraven's Last Hunt, robot parents stuff) and managed find a copy of Daredevil Vol 2 #1 for only a fiver which is a great deal. Manga front, Naruto, Black Lagoon. Can't go wrong.

So yeah, I love that Comic Village is getting bigger. Props to you Mrs Vieceli. Please keep it up.
Leopard-Lad

Return to COMIC VILLAGE @ EXPO