Masquerade - Discussion

Discuss the UK's largest Masquerade event which takes place both days during the London MCM Expo.

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 am

Zaiburst wrote:I have a suggestion regarding performance length.

I understand how pressed for time the show is, and how important it is to keep acts short, but I think there are some really good performances out there that 3 minutes won't cover. But of course likewise I'm sure there are performances out there that some people wish were over sooner.

It's a difficult issue to solve, but may I suggest that there be small threshold that performances can go above as long as they justify it, and have it approved by the organisers.

We quite agree, you can get some fantastic performances that last over 3 minutes. Unfortunately though, and as much as we love performances the Expo masquerade is primarily a Costume show as opposed to a performance one.

Irrespective of the problems you have vetting performances, even with a pre-submitted script and recorded dialogue you can’t be sure how good are group are until they are actually up on stage. We have to find ways of accommodating more people in the masquerade and for every long performance we allowed, another group would loose there place.

So the only fair way we can sensibly manage performances is to set a time limit. 3 minutes is more than enough time for a brilliant skit and helps to ensure that the audience stay interested in the show during skits that they ‘don’t get’.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:32 am

Shay-Chan wrote:Even though I know this is not going to happen but I'll ask it anyway. xD
If you get all of the cosplayers who hand-made their costumes and there are still tickets, will cosplayers who comissioned theirs be allowed to enter?

It depends on the nature of the event. As long as the masquerade is a competition then commissioned costumes will not be allowed. There’s no prizes for being able to click ‘buy it now’!
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:33 am

Freyarule wrote:Another question here 8D And this time it's not about the PW group! Gosh!

What sort of time limit would I be looking at for two people doing a dance skit?

If you're just dancing we will ask you to keep it down to 1.5 – 2mins tops.
I know this sounds short but you will be surprised how long it feels on stage. We have found that most dances get repetitive after this and loose there impact. By keeping the length down you will get a better reception from the Audience.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby SamW89 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Still waiting for a reply to my sugegstion of limiting tickets at the desk to two per person in order to give everyone a fair chance of grabbing a ticket. As I said, I saw people getting as many as seven tickets at once and running off to give those tickets to friends who may have been half way across the hall looking at stalls. I feel this may be a major factor in people being unable to get tickets later in the day.

As I suggested, the only people who should be allowed to collect more than two tickets from the desk should be those who are actually going to be on stage and want their friends/ family to see them.
SamW89

Postby Freyarule on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Ilpala wrote:
Freyarule wrote:Another question here 8D And this time it's not about the PW group! Gosh!

What sort of time limit would I be looking at for two people doing a dance skit?

If you're just dancing we will ask you to keep it down to 1.5 – 2mins tops.
I know this sounds short but you will be surprised how long it feels on stage. We have found that most dances get repetitive after this and loose there impact. By keeping the length down you will get a better reception from the Audience.

That's perfectly fine, thanks! ^^ I was expecting it to be shorter, and yes, I know very well how long even a minute can feel on stage! :D
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
Freyarule

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:05 pm

SamW89 wrote:Still waiting for a reply to my sugegstion of limiting tickets at the desk to two per person in order to give everyone a fair chance of grabbing a ticket.
As I suggested, the only people who should be allowed to collect more than two tickets from the desk should be those who are actually going to be on stage and want their friends/ family to see them.

Sorry, must have got buried under the avalanche of questions!

I’ll discuss ticket allocation with the rest of the cosplay desk crew. In May the plan was to limit it to 5 tickets per person. I’m in two minds over the benefit of reducing it further.

If a lot of people who have advance entry are collecting tickets for friends who are still queuing up to get in then restricting allocation to two per person will theoretically prolong the time it takes the tickets to run out.
However if this isn’t the case all we will do is double the number of people in the queue for audience tickets. The cosplay desk already gets very busy and crowded so this would be a problem.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby loveliesbleeding on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:15 pm

If we enter, do we have to stay for the whole event? Can we do our bit and then leave to walk around again?
loveliesbleeding

Postby CrystalNeko on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Hiya! Wasn't sure if you got my e-mail or not sooo I'll ask here xD [reason I didn't ask before because the prop I'm making isn't actually for this event, it's for a MCM event next year because it'll take way more than just 5 months to complete with my laziness X_X Plus I don't want to give it away in case I fail/mess up - I did give a reference of what I was making in my email though~]

I know the height restrictions is 1.5m and my prop will most definitely be under 1.5m! However what about width? If I succeed then my prop will be pretty damn wide, possibly just over 1.5mx1m. Would I be allowed to go on stage with it? I can carry it sideways so that it will fit through a gap of 1m roughly. It'll be made out of perfectly safe materials, paper mache, chicken wire, cardboard, foam and PVC pipes mainly... I'm just worried about the size xD;

And one last question, would I be allowed to take such a large prop outside for quick photos then rush back and hand it back? [Or take photos at the beginning of the day and hand it in, because I know I'd go mad if I carried a prop that big around xD;]

Please and thank you~! ^_^ [Sorry if I'm not making any sense, my brain might be dying a little xD;]
CrystalNeko

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 pm

loveliesbleeding wrote:If we enter, do we have to stay for the whole event? Can we do our bit and then leave to walk around again?

It's entirely up to you. Most participants stay and watch the rest of the show but if you would rather duck out and do some more shopping then thats fine too :)
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:12 pm

CrystalNeko wrote:I know the height restrictions is 1.5m and my prop will most definitely be under 1.5m! However what about width? If I succeed then my prop will be pretty damn wide, possibly just over 1.5mx1m. Would I be allowed to go on stage with it? I can carry it sideways so that it will fit through a gap of 1m roughly. It'll be made out of perfectly safe materials, paper mache, chicken wire, cardboard, foam and PVC pipes mainly... I'm just worried about the size xD;

And one last question, would I be allowed to take such a large prop outside for quick photos then rush back and hand it back? [Or take photos at the beginning of the day and hand it in, because I know I'd go mad if I carried a prop that big around xD;]

If we can get it on stage then it will be fine, doesnt sound like it will be a problem :)
Because of it's size you couldnt really carry it around in the hall - its just too crowded!
But if you wanted to use it outside for photo's and fun then thats fine, what you do outside is at your own discretion.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby MissColzyChan on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm agreeing with samw89 in regards to tickets ^-^
And was wondering would it not be possible for anyone particiapating in the masquerade that like maybe on the registration form say if they would like any tickets for either friends or family to come watch them but obviously keeping it to a limit i.e 2 tickets~ This way you don't get people asking for more than they actually need.

Its just you often find with some people espeically if thier in a group entry that maybe one or two of thier friends arn't entering with them so would like to watch rather than wait around for 2 plus hours outside~

I know you can't always please everyone and this is just a suggestion ^-^
MissColzyChan

Postby loveliesbleeding on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Ilpala wrote:
loveliesbleeding wrote:If we enter, do we have to stay for the whole event? Can we do our bit and then leave to walk around again?

It's entirely up to you. Most participants stay and watch the rest of the show but if you would rather duck out and do some more shopping then thats fine too :)

Oh that's kool, thanks for the info!
loveliesbleeding

Postby xaerael on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:38 pm

if you enter, i'd really recomend sticking around. you get to meet some really awesome people and make some great friends.
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
xaerael

Postby loveliesbleeding on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:58 pm

xaerael wrote:

if you enter, i'd really recomend sticking around. you get to meet some really awesome people and make some great friends.

I might enter, dunno yet. But I want to see your sc4 costume.
loveliesbleeding

Postby CrystalNeko on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Ilpala wrote:
CrystalNeko wrote:I know the height restrictions is 1.5m and my prop will most definitely be under 1.5m! However what about width? If I succeed then my prop will be pretty damn wide, possibly just over 1.5mx1m. Would I be allowed to go on stage with it? I can carry it sideways so that it will fit through a gap of 1m roughly. It'll be made out of perfectly safe materials, paper mache, chicken wire, cardboard, foam and PVC pipes mainly... I'm just worried about the size xD;

If we can get it on stage then it will be fine, doesnt sound like it will be a problem :)
Because of it's size you couldnt really carry it around in the hall - its just too crowded!
But if you wanted to use it outside for photo's and fun then thats fine, what you do outside is at your own discretion.

Awesome! Thanks~ ^_^ I was never intending on carrying it around the hall, it'd be too troublesome for myself and everyone around me X__X Glad to know I'm allowed to take it outside though~
CrystalNeko

Postby Shay-Chan on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Ilpala wrote:
Shay-Chan wrote:Even though I know this is not going to happen but I'll ask it anyway. xD
If you get all of the cosplayers who hand-made their costumes and there are still tickets, will cosplayers who comissioned theirs be allowed to enter?

It depends on the nature of the event. As long as the masquerade is a competition then commissioned costumes will not be allowed. There’s no prizes for being able to click ‘buy it now’!

XD LOL I get that then, thanks!
I need a new signature. -.-
Shay-Chan

Postby khaoskreator on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:20 am

xaerael wrote:

I love sticking around and talking to people. Queing for the masquerade is the best time ever for me because I get to chat and talk to everyone in costume. It's my only chance to see what everyone's wearing properly as I don't get to see it myself.

I also love the after talk. It was amazing at the end of saturday because all the winners were grouped together chatting about how surprised and happy they were and also a lot of "GOD I HAVE TO DO THIS NOW.". For me I love it because it's a group of people where I feel most at home and the least weird. You know, even if we are all in silly costumes.
khaoskreator

Postby Araiziel on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Ilpala wrote:
Araiziel wrote:With one of my cosplays, I'm intending on getting sporting body armour, then putting stuff on top which is crafter. Is this allowed as the desired effect will be that nothing bought will be seen, only the stuff on top?

That will be fine :D

Brilliant. Thanks for clearing that up
OCT '09
Sun Wukong (Warriors Orochi 2)
Elliot Salem (Army of Two)
Araiziel

Postby kyothekat on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 pm

helloooooooo granny gertrude, ilpala..... this is just a quickie this time..
i was wondering.. seein as how the masquerade is in high demand.. can u only alow one person to do one skit/walkon for both the saturday and sunday and let other people have the limelight.... dont get me wrong i really enjoy watching what poeple are goin to do... but with the demand gettin higher and higher, i think it would be fairer for each perosn to only be on stage once over the weekend....i dont mean as in not in a group, but like if they have two cosplays (i.e - sat - chii/ sun - alucard)
i support all the cosplayers and i love lookin at what people can do but i think it is only fair for one performance over the weekend.... it will free up more room for others wanting to go on stage... and well.. more placves means more happy cosplayers and more veriaty :D.

another problem im having is, i am obviously cosplayin in october, as is my dad, and best mate, and mum... but the problem is, we are all from different animes/movies... but, mum and dad dont wanna go on stage by them selves... (they aint pros like me or lee ><) .... i was wondering.. if its just a walk on pose, next person, so on so forth... then a group pose.... would it be ok.. seeing as all the costumes will be made by myself, and i will be in my cosplay on stage aswell :D.... we all want to go out together.. and as the rules state whoever made the costumes should be on stage at the same time.... im just wondering if it would be weird... of course ill have all the different theme songs... but im just wondering what u think about this idea?....
many thanks and lots of huggles and kisses
kimi-chan
(the demented giant yellow teddy/lion KON) .. hehe
P.S - a MASSIVE thank you to joe (granny gertrude)... u shuld remember why (sunday masquerade) :D xxx you made my weekend just that little more special xxx
~KpopKimi~
kyothekat

Postby sinsanatrix on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:51 pm

i'm aware that this questions may have already been asked. but i'd liked to be sure , if thats okay? i am part of a group that wish to do a skit on the saturday, and if we can get a place will. However on the sunday i may be in anouther group (in a different costume). so i just wanted to make sure if i was in different cosplay, in different groups, one on each day, would it be aloud? (if that makes sense) thanks.
i pretend i know what i'm doing, it doesn't work but i can say it does.
sinsanatrix

Postby xaerael on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 pm

sinsanatrix wrote:i'm aware that this questions may have already been asked. but i'd liked to be sure , if thats okay? i am part of a group that wish to do a skit on the saturday, and if we can get a place will. However on the sunday i may be in anouther group (in a different costume). so i just wanted to make sure if i was in different cosplay, in different groups, one on each day, would it be aloud? (if that makes sense) thanks.

yes. you can enter both, and potentially win prizes in both. (occured with two entrants last expo)

and groups don't have to be changed. just costume & performance if there is one ;p.
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
xaerael

Postby Odd-One-Out on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:43 am

I'm going to unleash a baseball bat on an already beaten to death horse here, but in May 2010 my cosplay will definitely make it impossible to walk up/down steps and I can't even get through the coridoor that surrounds these steps even if I turned sideways (A Gundam in case you were thinking wth is she talking about?!).

So! Any cosnderations for a ramp? Even these cheap skateboard ramps that you can get from Argos would work.
Odd-One-Out

Postby Ilpala on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:22 pm

kyothekat wrote:helloooooooo granny gertrude, ilpala..... this is just a quickie this time..
i was wondering.. seein as how the masquerade is in high demand.. can u only alow one person to do one skit/walkon for both the saturday and sunday and let other people have the limelight.... dont get me wrong i really enjoy watching what poeple are goin to do... but with the demand gettin higher and higher, i think it would be fairer for each perosn to only be on stage once over the weekend....

As bazaar as this is going to sound, if we restricted people to entering Saturday Or Sunday we wouldn't actually ease our problem, as 90% of those cosplayers would prioritize Saturday and the Sunday show would suffer as a result.
Saturdays masquerade is always VERY oversubscribed while Sundays simply fills, at the moment we never have to turn many people away on the Sunday.

If this situation changes and we find both Saturday and Sunday are heavily oversubscribed then we will of course be reviewing the entry rules as you suggest.

kyothekat wrote:another problem im having is, i am obviously cosplayin in october, as is my dad, and best mate, and mum... but the problem is, we are all from different animes/movies... but, mum and dad dont wanna go on stage by them selves... (they aint pros like me or lee ><) .... i was wondering.. if its just a walk on pose, next person, so on so forth... then a group pose.... would it be ok.. seeing as all the costumes will be made by myself, and i will be in my cosplay on stage aswell :D.... we all want to go out together.. and as the rules state whoever made the costumes should be on stage at the same time.... im just wondering if it would be weird... of course ill have all the different theme songs... but im just wondering what u think about this idea?....

Under the May rules what your suggesting is fine, however we are looking at making some major changes in October so that we can accommodate more participants and these changes 'may' preclude the sort of entry your suggesting.
We will be posting details of our proposed changes in the near future for discussion amongst you guys and girls.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Odd-One-Out wrote:I'm going to unleash a baseball bat on an already beaten to death horse here, but in May 2010 my cosplay will definitely make it impossible to walk up/down steps and I can't even get through the coridoor that surrounds these steps even if I turned sideways (A Gundam in case you were thinking wth is she talking about?!).

So! Any cosnderations for a ramp? Even these cheap skateboard ramps that you can get from Argos would work.

We will be inquiring about getting a ramp (we always do), however - and I'll be frank, we don't expect to get one in the near future.

If a ramp was provided it would have to comply with Health and Safety and Disabled Access rules. For the height of the stage that would make it in the region of 8-10m long and possibly require a handrail too, so you can see why the ramp is problematic.

We will be asking for a wider access to the stage but ultimately the stage design is not down to us and we may find it is not sufficient for a costume that is larger than any previous entered on the day.

Not to be a spoil sport (because we are seriously looking forward to seeing this costume :wink: ), but you need to seriously consider your mobility, if you can not physically get to the stage or safely get on it and move around then we will not be able to let you take part :(

From experience (My Prime costume is a Mech suit that incorporates 1ft high stilts). If you raise yourself on platforms of some sort and restrict your leg movement you will struggle to balance on a ramp, let alone steps, and you could very easily restrict your visibility in such a way that it's hard for you to tell where the edge of the stage is...... which is bad.
So please do take every care when planning your costume and do feel free to drop us an email if you want to discuss anything.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby ShadowDragonBexi on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Hiya, Ok I got a slight problem

I will be cosplaying Lara Croft's Doppelganger from Tomb Raider Underworld...I have bought a pvc zip up top from a sex shop (eeep) and a pair of leather trousers that are suggested to be used for *ahem* sexual seduction as we could say. I bought a pair of boots and a hairpiece and I wear a swimsuit beneath my top which I pull up high to act as the leotard part of the top. I bought some holsters and guns and was going to buy a belt and gloves but now I'm not so sure.
I don't think I can make a pvx zip top or leather trousers. If I made the guns, holsters, gloves, belt and maybe have a go at the leotard thing then would I be able to enter??
I mean personally believe Lara croft and her doppelganger are mainly recognised for the hair and the guns with the unique holsters she has.

Please help me ! I'll love ou forever !
ShadowDragonBexi.deviantart.com
Cosplay.com - Tecna_Gothic
Dalek Princess
Shadow Dragon
ShadowDragonBexi

PreviousNext

Return to COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO