Masquerade - Discussion

Discuss the UK's largest Masquerade event which takes place both days during the London MCM Expo.

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Grey-San on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:14 am

So...What if the whole thing is like Sunday in may? Cuz the sephiroth that we met up with had a sword around 6ft long and she was fine...
Cuz my staff two heads (about) taller than me and i'm 5.7 but it's incredibly skinny XD (The only large bit is the top and that still very skinny)
Grey-San

Postby Odd-One-Out on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Ilpala, thanks a lot for the heads up regarding Expo's intention towards introducing a ramp.

I will be having 20-30cm tall stilts too but I have no plans on moving around the stage, just standing in the centre really XD I will work the Gundam around mobility. Thanks again!
Odd-One-Out

Postby LadyLaraCroft on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:39 pm

ShadowDragonBexi wrote:Hiya, Ok I got a slight problem

I will be cosplaying Lara Croft's Doppelganger from Tomb Raider Underworld...I have bought a pvc zip up top from a sex shop (eeep) and a pair of leather trousers that are suggested to be used for *ahem* sexual seduction as we could say. I bought a pair of boots and a hairpiece and I wear a swimsuit beneath my top which I pull up high to act as the leotard part of the top. I bought some holsters and guns and was going to buy a belt and gloves but now I'm not so sure.
I don't think I can make a pvc zip top or leather trousers. If I made the guns, holsters, gloves, belt and maybe have a go at the leotard thing then would I be able to enter??
I mean personally believe Lara croft and her doppelganger are mainly recognised for the hair and the guns with the unique holsters she has.

Please help me ! I'll love you forever !

She's also with me, and I'll be making my outfit from scratch!
I am TheEmoEmu. Deal with it.
LadyLaraCroft

Postby Kaiyu on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 am

I don't know if this has been asked before - but can you win best costume if you enter as a performance?? And how complicated can a 'walk-on' be before it becomes a performance??
Also whats the policy with OC costumes - how detatiled do reference sketches have to be??
Thankyou~
Kaiyu

Postby Grey-San on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Kaiyu wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before - but can you win best costume if you enter as a performance?? And how complicated can a 'walk-on' be before it becomes a performance??
Also whats the policy with OC costumes - how detatiled do reference sketches have to be??
Thankyou~

Walk ons are usually you walk up the the end of the stage pose left, right and center then go back and pose at the back and if your in a group then wait till everyones done then get off.
Yes you can still win best costume, they just need to get a really good look at your outfit.
Grey-San

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:55 pm

ShadowDragonBexi wrote:I will be cosplaying Lara Croft's Doppelganger from Tomb Raider Underworld...I have bought a pvc zip up top from a sex shop (eeep) and a pair of leather trousers that are suggested to be used for *ahem* sexual seduction as we could say. I bought a pair of boots and a hairpiece and I wear a swimsuit beneath my top which I pull up high to act as the leotard part of the top. I bought some holsters and guns and was going to buy a belt and gloves but now I'm not so sure.
I don't think I can make a pvx zip top or leather trousers. If I made the guns, holsters, gloves, belt and maybe have a go at the leotard thing then would I be able to enter??

Hi there, I’m afraid for a single walk on costume we would expect you to have made more than the accessories; you would probably need to look at making or heavily modifying the trousers or the top.

If your part of a group with someone else who has made all of there costume as LadyLaraCroft has suggested then we may be able to relax that a little.

I would suggest making as much as you can and then dropping us a mail closer to the time, once you can confirm your groups details etc.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Grey-San wrote:So...What if the whole thing is like Sunday in may? Cuz the sephiroth that we met up with had a sword around 6ft long and she was fine...

Outside the hall you are responsible for your props and weapons, so if you want to carry something big, that’s up to you. Be aware however that the Excell centre staff or the local police may take exception to anything that looks dangerous or illegal.

Inside the hall we have to consider the safety of all attendees in the crowded environment, hence the restrictions. A large prop carried or waved carelessly could easily hurt a child or damage a display. Hence why we ask cosplayers not to carry them around in the hall.

This is very difficult to police, but if we see someone with a large prop or weapon we will ask them to leave it with us or to leave the hall.

Ultimately, if people start ignoring the guidelines and there are accidents or other problems, then the only option Expo has is to blanket ban props and weapons in the hall, which no one wants. So we ask you all to be sensible, responsible and stick to the guidelines.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Kaiyu wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before - but can you win best costume if you enter as a performance?? And how complicated can a 'walk-on' be before it becomes a performance??
Thankyou~

That’s covered in the guidelines, entering as a performance does not preclude you from winning any of the costume prizes.

If you’re entering the stage, doing some posses and then exiting then you’re a walk on. Anything more complicated is generally a performance.

How much supporting information you provide for an Original Costume is entirely up to you. However the more you can show the judges and the better you can explain your inspirations and references the better.

I know that’s sketchy but my best advice really is that if you satisfy yourself that your references support your costume then that’s probably fine.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Kaiyu on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:25 am

Ilpala wrote:I know that’s sketchy but my best advice really is that if you satisfy yourself that your references support your costume then that’s probably fine.

Ah! thank you so much~ Sorry I'll go check the guidelines again. ^///^
Kaiyu

Postby The-Last-Quincy on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Hey i was just wondering my friend wants me to go onto the stage for there D.Gray-Man group and there costumes are all made and mine is half and half e.g. the coat and the hat are bought, while i have made the glasses styled the wig and have a prop i have made, would it be possible to still go onto the stage as well.

someone said if they get there costumes prejudged and not get mine that might be allright.

Thank you.
~~The-Last-Quincy~~
The-Last-Quincy

Postby MissColzyChan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:08 am

The-Last-Quincy wrote:Hey i was just wondering my friend wants me to go onto the stage for there D.Gray-Man group and there costumes are all made and mine is half and half e.g. the coat and the hat are bought, while i have made the glasses styled the wig and have a prop i have made, would it be possible to still go onto the stage as well.

someone said if they get there costumes prejudged and not get mine that might be allright.

Thank you.

I would be that friend ^^ may I also note it will be quite a large group also~

I'd also like to check that what i plan on doing is okay. Well i'm going to be doing Lenalee in her 2nd uniform which is basically a black jacket with a high collar and wide-sleeves (a bit like a japanese jacket) and a lot of detailing which is in white (lines on the front, crosses on the arms and a big cross on the back) then it has a belt with like a side-skirt on it which attaches to the jacket, then pouches on the back of the belt. She then has shorts and high boots.

I'm planning on making the jacket with the detailing, the belts with side-skirt and hopefully the pouches. I may also alter some boots to how hers look but im not sure yet. However was wondering if it would be okay to just buy the shorts? As shorts are quite hard to make and i'm fairly new to making my cosplays as it is >_< They are literally just a pair of plain black shorts to match the jacket. But If i still made the jacket which will be made from scratch, along with all the detailing and other parts would it be acceptable to do this?
MissColzyChan

Postby Ilpala on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:06 pm

The-Last-Quincy wrote:Hey i was just wondering my friend wants me to go onto the stage for there D.Gray-Man group and there costumes are all made and mine is half and half e.g. the coat and the hat are bought, while i have made the glasses styled the wig and have a prop i have made, would it be possible to still go onto the stage as well.

Hi there, I'm afraid that our general policy now is to not allow people to take part with largely commisioned costumes, even in groups. A commisioned wig or prop is generally ok but the costume itself needs to be largely hand made.

We have so many people wanting to take part that it's now important that we apply the rules accross the board.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Ilpala on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:09 pm

MissColzyChan wrote:I'm planning on making the jacket with the detailing, the belts with side-skirt and hopefully the pouches. I may also alter some boots to how hers look but im not sure yet. However was wondering if it would be okay to just buy the shorts? As shorts are quite hard to make and i'm fairly new to making my cosplays as it is >_< They are literally just a pair of plain black shorts to match the jacket. But If i still made the jacket which will be made from scratch, along with all the detailing and other parts would it be acceptable to do this?

Since your making the rest of the costume using a pair of simple store bought shorts shouldnt be a problem :)
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby LittleMissChikorita on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi!
I'm thinking of joining the Tsubasa Masq group, I plan to cosplay Mokona Modaki, i would be making my large ears, cuffs and leg warmers, (the main costume features) but if i can't get a decent dress made in time i have a white skirt and top to wear but i wasn't sure if it would be allowed? xx
MOKO CHAN!!
¬.¬ Mokona hungry!
LittleMissChikorita

Postby Lady Bahamut on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:09 pm

LittleMissChikorita wrote:Hi!
I'm thinking of joining the Tsubasa Masq group, I plan to cosplay Mokona Modaki, i would be making my large ears, cuffs and leg warmers, (the main costume features) but if i can't get a decent dress made in time i have a white skirt and top to wear but i wasn't sure if it would be allowed? xx

You see, I'm the same. For mine I'll probably be buying the top, trousers and boots... but I will be making my cape and the goggles. But Grey-San has apparantly asked someone and has said it's fine =/ So er... I'm kinda confused myself as I didn't think it would be allowed :lol:
Oct
Syaoran - CardcaptorSakura
Lady Bahamut

Postby Ilpala on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:50 am

Lady Bahamut wrote:You see, I'm the same. For mine I'll probably be buying the top, trousers and boots... but I will be making my cape and the goggles. But Grey-San has apparantly asked someone and has said it's fine =/ So er... I'm kinda confused myself as I didn't think it would be allowed

I'm afraid I don't know the costumes all that well but it does sound like you need to be making more of your costumes if you wish to take part in the masquerade.
If your part of a large group we may be able to make an exception but we won't be able to make a decision like that until we know about the rest of the group and we would expect the rest of the group to have made all of there costumes.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby Lady Bahamut on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Ilpala wrote:

Lady Bahamut wrote:You see, I'm the same. For mine I'll probably be buying the top, trousers and boots... but I will be making my cape and the goggles. But Grey-San has apparantly asked someone and has said it's fine =/ So er... I'm kinda confused myself as I didn't think it would be allowed

I'm afraid I don't know the costumes all that well but it does sound like you need to be making more of your costumes if you wish to take part in the masquerade.
If your part of a large group we may be able to make an exception but we won't be able to make a decision like that until we know about the rest of the group and we would expect the rest of the group to have made all of there costumes.

Okay. That's what I thought. Although I won't be losing any sleep over not being in the masq :lol:
Oct
Lady Bahamut

Postby Grey-San on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:22 pm

IF you buy a large amount of your costume from a store is that ok?
Just simple things like shirts?

I'm only buy my pants so this doesn't apply to me but i'm asking for a friend.
And if not then i think i may as well just go the masq on my own.... Though i don't want to....
Grey-San

Postby Lady Bahamut on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:26 am

Grey-San wrote:IF you buy a large amount of your costume from a store is that ok?

And if not then i think i may as well just go the masq on my own.... Though i don't want to....

I'm sorry. I may have honestly done it with you, but I can't since I'm buying most of mine :(
Oct
Lady Bahamut

Postby Grey-San on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Lady Bahamut wrote:
Grey-San wrote:IF you buy a large amount of your costume from a store is that ok?

I'm sorry. I may have honestly done it with you, but I can't since I'm buying most of mine :(

aw... :(
But if i still Finsih my Fai outfit and mokona and yukito do then you can still be in it :D
Grey-San

Postby kitsune on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:57 pm

MissColzyChan wrote:I'm agreeing with samw89 in regards to tickets ^-^
And was wondering would it not be possible for anyone particiapating in the masquerade that like maybe on the registration form say if they would like any tickets for either friends or family to come watch them but obviously keeping it to a limit i.e 2 tickets~ This way you don't get people asking for more than they actually need.

Its just you often find with some people espeically if thier in a group entry that maybe one or two of thier friends arn't entering with them so would like to watch rather than wait around for 2 plus hours outside~

I know you can't always please everyone and this is just a suggestion ^-^

I agree with this too it would be nice to be able to get friends seats since i may be doing masq but if i can't get my boyfriend a seat there is no point. ( this is because he would have to stand out side for 2 hours doing nothing and it would be nice to have someone in the audience i know to calm my stage fright since it would be my first masq ^^;)

But i say it must be limited to 2 or less or all the seats will be filled by the friends and family of the perfomers when some people would like to see the show ^^.
kitsune

Postby ShadowDragonBexi on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi there, I’m afraid for a single walk on costume we would expect you to have made more than the accessories; you would probably need to look at making or heavily modifying the trousers or the top.

If your part of a group with someone else who has made all of there costume as LadyLaraCroft has suggested then we may be able to relax that a little.

I would suggest making as much as you can and then dropping us a mail closer to the time, once you can confirm your groups details etc.

OK Thanks I will try and make as much as I possibly can. But if I can't then I will be with LadyLaraCroft and her fully made costume. I will mail you nearer the time to see if its still ok to enter. Thanks again !
ShadowDragonBexi.deviantart.com
Cosplay.com - Tecna_Gothic
Dalek Princess
Shadow Dragon
ShadowDragonBexi

Postby rue on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey, I was wondering. I will be with the Fruits Basket group on the sunday, and we are thinking of entering the masq, but I have hit a dilemma. I will be cosplaying Kyo Sohma, and we have one already in the group, so, for variety, I was thinking of wearing one of his 'civillian' outfits rather than his school uniform (which I will also have; handmade). I was wondering. Since his clothing is pretty normal, and the shoes, bracelet and t-shirt are bought, the cargo pants bought and lightly customised by me with his additional strap at the back, the wig done by me, and I will be making his red overshirt (to replace the one I have at the moment), will this be eligable at all? Or will I have to stick to the school uniform instead?

I was sorta hoping to break the monotony with a bit of colour, so I'm hoping I can do the civvies rather than the uni, since we will also have other characters in uniform as well. Any help is appreciated! :D
Arnold 'Schmucko' Rimmer
rue

Postby Ilpala on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 am

rue wrote:Hey, I was wondering. I will be with the Fruits Basket group on the sunday, and we are thinking of entering the masq, but I have hit a dilemma. I will be cosplaying Kyo Sohma, and we have one already in the group, so, for variety, I was thinking of wearing one of his 'civillian' outfits rather than his school uniform (which I will also have; handmade). I was wondering. Since his clothing is pretty normal, and the shoes, bracelet and t-shirt are bought, the cargo pants bought and lightly customised by me with his additional strap at the back, the wig done by me, and I will be making his red overshirt (to replace the one I have at the moment), will this be eligable at all? Or will I have to stick to the school uniform instead?

I was sorta hoping to break the monotony with a bit of colour, so I'm hoping I can do the civvies rather than the uni, since we will also have other characters in uniform as well. Any help is appreciated! :D

As a general rule, oweing to the number of people wishing to take part nowadays we expect costumes to be more 'hand made than you have descibed to be eligable for entry.

I do understand the situation though and agree that a civvies Kyo would add more to the group than a second school Kyo.

If your part of a large group we may be able to make an exception but we won't be able to make a decision like that until we know about the rest of the group and we would expect the rest of the group to have made all of there costumes, so I would advise you to send through full group details closer to the event.
Ilpala
Board Moderator

Postby H Royal Mudgesty on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Ilpala wrote:That’s covered in the guidelines, entering as a performance does not preclude you from winning any of the costume prizes.

So by the sound of it, I would not need to 'apply' twice: only the group application would be enough?
H Royal Mudgesty

PreviousNext

Return to COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO