GATHERINGS - MEETS & Excel's feedback - LET US HELP YOU!

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories. Dont forget to visit the main website at http://www.londonexpo.com for updates also

Postby Admin on Sat May 15, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Everyone

After clarification from Excel we wanted impart the venue policy going forward for all events taking place there, plus we want to offer Registered groups, meetings, gatherings a better way of letting everyone know about them:

============================================

This is the wording from Excel Management:

For meetings, gatherings or group organised activities for instance photo shoots, over and above those featured as part of the main Expo event, we need to be made more formally aware of the activity itself so that each proposal is judged on its own merits and is deemed to be taking place safely within our due diligence and to the overall benefit of the event in question. This is standard practice for all events at ExCeL

Anyone taking part in separate events/gatherings intrinsically linked to an event, in your case MCM London Expo, should recognise that Expo is an admission payable show.

The easiest way of making us aware is to send an email to the organisers of the particular event registering your activity. A dedicated email address has now been set up - gatherings@mcmexpo.net , This will ensure your event is verified, logged and approved or not approved. One would fairly assume that people taking part in any additional activities will already be ticket holders familiar with the show and this should not cause any issues.

Consequently the activities will have the added benefit of being publicised on the main event website and identified as a supplementary part of the main Expo event that people may like to get involved with.

Any further questions on this subject should be directed to gatherings@mcmexpo.net.

==============================================

As you can see what is basically being said is that to take part in an organised gathering, group, photoshoot as construed by Excel (Who have the final word) and so on they are asking for it to be registered and approved or not approved.

This is not restricted to Expo but is the same for all events that now take place at Excel.

To take part in these gatherings you need to have a ticket for what ever event it is related to which in this case is Expo to be able to take part regardless of it being in the public areas of the Excel building or any where on the Excel estate, to see the boundaries of the Excel estate please view the following link: http://excel-london.co.uk/visitors/campusmap

To register your event, gathering photoshoot and so on please email gatherings@mcmexpo.net

This is FREE and the benefit is that your gathering will be publicised on a Gatherings/Meets page on the main London MCM Expo website which will go live shortly and help to let people who are not aware of your meet and may like to take part to find the relevant information.

Again a proviso of holding one of the registered meets, photo sessions, gatherings and so on is that you have a ticket for the day that the relevant meet is taking place and for the event in this case Expo.

In essence this will only cause an issue for anyone who goes on to the estate to join a meet that has not got a ticket for the particular day.

SO THE EASY ANSWER IS HAVE A TICKET FOR THE RELEVANT EVENT!

As has been said all along over all nothing has changed, no one is trying to stop anyone having fun over the Expo weekend but they are trying to keep a handle of who is on site for Security, Health & Safety reasons and so on but also making sure they have a relevant reason to be there and being on site to just sit with friends is in their eyes not a relevant reason!

Of course people who do not have a ticket to be at particular event and are on the Excel estate in the public areas they can be but to be part of a gathering, meet and so on you need to have an entry ticket to the relevant event taking place at Excel and valid for that day.

So again dont have a ticket DON'T attend, again that is the word from Excel!

Hopefully this helps, please feel free to email the address above with any questions.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: GATHERINGS - MEETS & Excel's feedback - LET US HELP YOU!

Postby shaneh87 on Sat May 15, 2010 11:39 am

So basically to be part of a group on the Excel grounds you need a ticket for expo.I like that idea as it supports expo.If people want to meet up and not buy a ticket they can do it at other times of the year.
shaneh87

Postby Admin on Sat May 15, 2010 11:41 am

Eactly you have got it :)

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mickolas on Sat May 15, 2010 1:16 pm

I would day it was fair that Excel would want to have the place a ticket holders only location, keeps away the trouble makers, like toughs youths with the smoke bombs from last time.

on a side note I would love to take photos of every body on cosplay, as I can take upto 1000 photos on one battery, then upload them all to my flickr account, I'll be going both days and wouldn't mine being asked to take someones photo ! (with my camera that is :))
Mickolas

Postby Takk-Chan on Sat May 15, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm slightly bewildered by this. I mean, okay, everyone on site should have a ticket, as it normally happens that a lot of general public wander round free and expo can be easy scammed. However, you now have to register your group if you want to hang in a group? Isn't this a bit to far? The expo grounds is a public place, thus surely meaning that excel/expo organisers have no power over if people stand in groups, do large group photo shoots ect. ect.
Then there's the spur of the moment photo shoots, which do tend to happen, as you get people like myself, who will bring their camera along, see friends and offer them a shoot for free. What about them? Will they be stopped as they weren't pre registered?
Isn't this just creating hassle and alot of confusion for everyone?
Takk-Chan

Postby aoife on Sat May 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Takk-Chan wrote:I'm slightly bewildered by this. I mean, okay, everyone on site should have a ticket, as it normally happens that a lot of general public wander round free and expo can be easy scammed. However, you now have to register your group if you want to hang in a group? Isn't this a bit to far? The expo grounds is a public place, thus surely meaning that excel/expo organisers have no power over if people stand in groups, do large group photo shoots ect. ect.
Then there's the spur of the moment photo shoots, which do tend to happen, as you get people like myself, who will bring their camera along, see friends and offer them a shoot for free. What about them? Will they be stopped as they weren't pre registered?

agreed. entirely. this entire thing is ridiculous. it is none of the expos business if a group of real life and internet friends sit outside and have a picnic. it is also none of their business to post it on the main page. ALSO most people do buy tickets. how are they even going to make sure of this in the grounds outside? go around constantly asking everyone? there are often people not involved at all with the expo wandering around..you going to make them buy tickets too? christ. what is the world coming to.
aoife

Postby Takk-Chan on Sat May 15, 2010 2:48 pm

aoife wrote:
agreed. entirely. this entire thing is ridiculous. it is none of the expos business if a group of real life and internet friends sit outside and have a picnic. it is also none of their business to post it on the main page. ALSO most people do buy tickets. how are they even going to make sure of this in the grounds outside? go around constantly asking everyone? there are often people not involved at all with the expo wandering around..you going to make them buy tickets too? christ. what is the world coming to.

Amen! Also the fact you now have to arrange everything prior to the day, when most of us are to bussy getting costumes ready, or transport, we now have to worry about registering to meet up with friends?
It really is beyond me what gave them the idea to do that.
Takk-Chan

Postby ZOMBIEfurby on Sat May 15, 2010 2:54 pm

How do we even regester to go to groups?
Since myself and my friends need to for Hetalia and I know others that will for other groups
ZOMBIEfurby

Postby Granny Gertrude on Sat May 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Don't get too confused between Expo and Excel. As Admin posted on another thread, the Excel is not trying to win a popularity contest, and so Expo has to walk the line between its customers and its host site.

On the Excel's land, which extends outside of the hall, they have obviously decided with the way things have gone in terms of litter, scaling of sculptures, injuries, and the scale of some of the fan run events that they have to intervene. It is a shame that the Excel did not give more notice but that's what we've got to work with.

The underlying message from Expo was that attendees would notice very little difference. Excel staff aren't going to break up every group of more than two people, they'll be primarily concerned with anything they see that might make their insurance company wince. I'm also sure that if you contact Expo and ask them not to advertise your event on the main page they would respect that. I'm confident that the Excel staff would understand the difference between an adhoc photoshoot and a game of full contact Bulldog too.

Remember Expo has not had much notice either, although they suspected something like this was coming. I would imagine that with the experience from the May Expo and the time between events to discuss things with community event organisers there could be a great deal that could benefit all parties involved.

Zombiefurby: just email them at: gatherings@mcmexpo.net
Joe 'Granny Gertrude' Sutton
Cosplay @ Expo
www.facebook.com/grannygertrude
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby aoife on Sat May 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Granny Gertrude wrote:Don't get too confused between Expo and Excel. As Admin posted on another thread, the Excel is not trying to win a popularity contest, and so Expo has to walk the line between its customers and its host site.

On the Excel's land, which extends outside of the hall, they have obviously decided with the way things have gone in terms of litter, scaling of sculptures, injuries, and the scale of some of the fan run events that they have to intervene. It is a shame that the Excel did not give more notice but that's what we've got to work with.

The underlying message from Expo was that attendees would notice very little difference. Excel staff aren't going to break up every group of more than two people, they'll be primarily concerned with anything they see that might make their insurance company wince. I'm also sure that if you contact Expo and ask them not to advertise your event on the main page they would respect that. I'm confident that the Excel staff would understand the difference between an adhoc photoshoot and a game of full contact Bulldog too.

Remember Expo has not had much notice either, although they suspected something like this was coming. I would imagine that with the experience from the May Expo and the time between events to discuss things with community event organisers there could be a great deal that could benefit all parties involved.

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the expo. You have to work with what you are given.
aoife

Postby Granny Gertrude on Sat May 15, 2010 3:37 pm

No worries. Online communication has its limits so just wanted to be sure ^_~
Cosplay @ Expo
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby Takk-Chan on Sat May 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Granny Gertrude wrote:Don't get too confused between Expo and Excel. As Admin posted on another thread, the Excel is not trying to win a popularity contest, and so Expo has to walk the line between its customers and its host site.

I was in now way blaming the expo staff/organisers at all. In fact, I sympathise for you. But thank you for clarifying the whole group thing. As when the post was sent out on facebook and by email, if you read, its very easy to read it that if your with more than 2 people, you'll get split up. However this isn't the case?
Takk-Chan

Postby Granny Gertrude on Sat May 15, 2010 4:10 pm

The word from Excel Management that I'm seeing more than once was 'activities'; that and the practicalities of managing it leads me to understand that groups of friends with tickets/wristbands are not their concern.

A group of friends chatting, getting food, people taking photographs as a cosplayer stops and poses are not activities as I think they mean them- its the things like the picnics, huge photoshoots of 50 Naruto cosplayers that stay in situ for a length of time, big games (I suspect that Excel decided to step in upon reading the interest in the Cosplay Olympics and thinking it was getting too big and therefore risky) and similar. They would probably also be concerned with hawkers and similar.

To give an example, the Cosplay Team were being asked about people using flaming poi and fire swords on the land around Excel which is generally open to the public.

Seriously.

Our response? You can't have them in the Expo itself. Outside- you need to speak to the police and the Excel, and good luck with that! That's not the usual type of enquiry we get, imagine how many eyebrow raising request the main admins and Excel get. I think it has been a long time coming but as I don't deal with the Excel personally I don't know if that's typical :P
Cosplay @ Expo
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby Admin on Sat May 15, 2010 4:18 pm

What do you find bewildering?

Please do ask if the post is unclear in any way.

The reason you need to register a group is so they can determine if it should be there, also that everyone has a ticket, no one is trying to stop any meets but they want to keep an eye on the estate that they own.

Yes Excel grounds is yes a public area but it is still Private land owned by Excel and comes under their jurastiction considering they own it.

They can if they wish and feel it is either causing a nuisance or contravening Health & Safety or as has been said a number of times that groups of people are there with no ticket to the events taking place break up the gatherings.

Basically what they are saying is that why would a group of people be on the property if they are not there for an event, this would be the same in a normal street where a group would be moved on by Police which in the surrounding areas does happen with the large Police presence being that we are next to the airport and close to the Docklands.

Why would there be hassle if you have a ticket?

This is the underlying trhing that people are not grasping, IF YOU HAVE A TICKET FOR AN EVENT TAKING PLACE AT EXCEL THAT IS VALID FOR THE DAY YOU ARE THERE IN A GROUP THEN YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

I have made this point over and over.

Admin

Takk-Chan wrote:I'm slightly bewildered by this. I mean, okay, everyone on site should have a ticket, as it normally happens that a lot of general public wander round free and expo can be easy scammed. However, you now have to register your group if you want to hang in a group? Isn't this a bit to far? The expo grounds is a public place, thus surely meaning that excel/expo organisers have no power over if people stand in groups, do large group photo shoots ect. ect.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Sat May 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Aoife

You keep quoting Expo you should be quoting Excel, this is a venue policy.

It will be very easy to see if a group of people are together ( As this is more than 1) and with the fact that entry to the event is by way of a visible Wristband from the May event onwards most times the security on site will be able to see who should and should not be there from afar and not even have to trouble them.

After 9 years the management of the venue and security staff find it quite easy to work out 99% of the time who is there for a particular event, it is not Brain surgery to see someone of a certain age range or dressed in a certain way and assume they are there for a particular event it is common sense.

Again the over baring factor here is what you seem not to grasp is if you have a wristband where is the problem?

It is only a problem for people who do not have a valid entry to events at the venue.

Admin

aoife wrote:

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Sat May 15, 2010 4:31 pm

I have again already answered these points.

They have a responsibility of Due Diligence for the venue and grounds which means they have to control the area as they own it.

If people are there for a certain event then they should have a valid ticket for what ever event is on.

Again and again and again if you have a ticket what is the problem?

The registering of events is a plus as you will be able to let others who may not know it is on that it is and you never know increase the size of it, where is the down side?

Iy you do not want it on the main site then fine tell s that and will not be added to it, they are not looking to stop meets but they are looking for valid entry tickets and Wristbands.

This should not stop you doing most things that you want to like meeting up, photoshoots, picnics and so on unless you do not have a ticket to be on the grounds as the particular meet or gathering will 99.9% of time only be taking place as the focus of people being there is the event not limited to our event but others that might be taking place.

If you have a ticket you have no problems.

Admin

Takk-Chan wrote:
aoife wrote:

Amen! Also the fact you now have to arrange everything prior to the day, when most of us are to bussy getting costumes ready, or transport, we now have to worry about registering to meet up with friends?
It really is beyond me what gave them the idea to do that.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Sat May 15, 2010 4:33 pm

No what the post is saying is that we have been issued the wording as did another member on the boards because he email Excel that if you are in a group on site and enjoying the event weekend then you need to be in receipt of a valid ticket for the day that you are there.

That is all it is saying.

If you have a ticket you have NO issues what so ever.

Admin

Takk-Chan wrote:

I was in now way blaming the expo staff/organisers at all. In fact, I sympathise for you. But thank you for clarifying the whole group thing. As when the post was sent out on facebook and by email, if you read, its very easy to read it that if your with more than 2 people, you'll get split up. However this isn't the case?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby mogwai k on Sat May 15, 2010 5:03 pm

do you have to get a ticket if you are just meeting up with someone for a quick one on one photoshoot? or is this just really aimed at the big groups?
mogwai k

Postby mogwai k on Sat May 15, 2010 5:06 pm

ive just re read it and it makes sense now. it means as long as you have a ticket for the expo you are ok? when i 1st read it i thought that it ment we had to email you and ask for additional tickets just to meet up and do anything.
mogwai k

Postby Admin on Sat May 15, 2010 5:20 pm

No you do not need other tickets just the ticket valid for the day you are attending the meet and so on

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoMomma on Sat May 15, 2010 5:27 pm

I understand everything else - but it's just the tickets & wristbands you keep talking about.

Are they the tickets you buy/order online to get into the Dealer's Room?
And where would you get the wristbands from?
JoMomma

Postby Admin on Sat May 15, 2010 5:32 pm

If you buy an E TICKET online through the website or have a paper ticket that has been sent to you, you will attend the ticket hall as you would anyway but instead of us taking it off you and stamping the back of your hand which is not the greatest method for many reasons.

You will now be issued a Wristband that is put on you and you wear that all day, it does not wash off, cant be lost.

Everyone who attends Expo from now on will have a wristband

Hope that helps?

Admin

JoMomma wrote:I understand everything else - but it's just the tickets & wristbands you keep talking about.

Are they the tickets you buy/order online to get into the Dealer's Room?
And where would you get the wristbands from?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoMomma on Sat May 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks for clearing that up
But now I have another question...

My mum is coming along to keep an eye on me during Expo because I'm only a teenager, but she isn't planning on joining in with activites or even go inside the event halls. Will she still need to have a ticket?
Last edited by JoMomma on Sat May 15, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoMomma

Postby Admin-2 on Sat May 15, 2010 7:03 pm

No she will not need a ticket unless she plans to go into the event halls. I am sure she will be having a coffee and just wandering around enjoying what we hope is good weather. Do not worry, just wear your wristband and have fun.
London MCM Expo - Admin~2
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby WilsonDean on Sat May 15, 2010 8:15 pm

I might be asking a bit of a retarded question, but what about the cosplay themed meets (Mainly Photos) i.e. Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon, DBZ etc. Does every single meet up have to be registered or is it a matter of turning up on the day and looking for a bunch of simliar cosplayers and just joining in on photos and stuff.

If you do have to register a group, would it be possible for an admin to update a thread listing the meet ups
*Theme
*Activity

Just the actual time and location might get lost in translation :D

Thanks
WilsonDean

Next

Return to GENERAL CHAT