Dragonball Z Group!

Discuss the UK's largest Masquerade event which takes place both days during the London MCM Expo.

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

Re: Dragonball Z Group!

Postby SamW89 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Got the materials for Goku's orange clothes today and a sewing machine.

I've drawn up some patterns, basing the measurements around some baggy clothes I already own. My girlfriend's going to teach me how to sew and we're currently debating how we're going to do his symbols.

We will probably just cut a round circle of white fabric, then put black fabric around the edge, but for the actual symbol there are a few options we're debating. One would be to make the symbol from fabric and glue it on with fabric glue so it looks embossed, I suggested just drawing it on with a Sharpie, or we know a place that prints t-shirts near here, we could ask them to print the symbol on if they can.

It's odd looking at Goku because he seems to wear his belt around his stomach, making his trousers a lot higher than even Simon Cowell would dare pull a pair up. I want everything to fall and fold right, like it does in the anime.

Also, I'm debating if adding a Nyobio (Power Pole) prop would be worth the time, considering how rarely he used the thing post King Piccolo.

I also got a foam head to style the wig on and I need to order two long black thick wigs to construct Goku's hair with.
SamW89

Postby Rubikins on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:08 pm

SamW89 wrote:
It's odd looking at Goku because he seems to wear his belt around his stomach, making his trousers a lot higher than even Simon Cowell would dare pull a pair up. I want everything to fall and fold right, like it does in the anime.

Haha, this is exactly what it's like on my Gohan costume :D The belts like on their stomachs.... It gets quite annoying when you have to sit down xD lol. But it does look good :D

I love my gi, it's just so poofy xD lol.
Ah, dragonball z cosplay is just awesome and SO fun~! :D

*EDIT* - About the symbol thing, I'd say you can make a sharpie version and a fabric version to see which looks better.... but you could also try fabric paint. Its really good for blocky thick letters, or anything really, plus it looks nice too and you can just leave it overnight to dry. ^^
Rubikins

Postby SamW89 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:11 pm

So you have your gi already? We demand pics! XD

Also, do you have the patterns you used? I can probably use the one I made for Goku's top, but I have no idea how to go about the trouser pattern. Plus, it'd be interesting to see if the pattern for your top if overly different to the pattern for mine.
SamW89

Postby Rubikins on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 am

SamW89 wrote:So you have your gi already? We demand pics! XD

Also, do you have the patterns you used? I can probably use the one I made for Goku's top, but I have no idea how to go about the trouser pattern. Plus, it'd be interesting to see if the pattern for your top if overly different to the pattern for mine.

Yeah i finished my Gohan costume last year in like the summer, but i still need the blue contacts so i just havent worn it to any Expo yet ^^

Ummm... for the pattern i just found a pair of trousers (mens large tracksuit bottoms for me since i'm small and Gohan's are huge!) and cut them up along the seams then pinned each section to the fabric, cut it out and sewed it back together xD lol.
I have nowhere to buy patterns so i thought it would be the easiest way to do it... and it worked fine :D
Then just put elastic around the waist and around the bottom of the legs, that way you get the cool 'wrinkles' they have in their gi's :)

I'll put up some pictures when i take some (probably tomorrow if i have any spare time) ^^ That way you can all recognise me on the day~!
Rubikins

Postby Ryoko on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:22 pm

I found the belt around the stomach works really well for me since I want to do a SNJ version of Goku's gi, I can have an obi style belt which is the sort of thing I am much happier wearing anyway!

Im having hige trouble trying to find a dress I can use to modify, I really want the cut and the shape to be right but the colour has to be right, too. I dont mind chopping and sewing to make it right but cant find something good enough to start with, and I cant see myself making anything from scratch because Im terrible at sewing and it would be awful.

The symbol on the back (and on the front, I want a saiya-jin saga cosplay) I think will be painted with fabric paint onto white material and swen or ornoned onto the back of whatever orange clothes I manage to get!

Also, heads up if anyone finds blue wrist/sweat bands, lol, they have good ones in Butron, just needs to be the right colour :
Ryoko

Postby Rubikins on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Ryoko wrote:Also, heads up if anyone finds blue wrist/sweat bands, lol, they have good ones in Butron, just needs to be the right colour :

I made mine :D

Plus i won't be able to take pictures of my gi today... my brother lost my camera x(
Rubikins

Postby Ryoko on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Bah... show off. I will make them if I cant buy them, or if I have to make them to match the belt and blue t-shirt, etc, but I have very little time to make anything during term time... which is convenient... because I cant sew, lol!

Dig out that camera dude!
Ryoko

Postby Rubikins on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Ryoko wrote:Bah... show off. I will make them if I cant buy them, or if I have to make them to match the belt and blue t-shirt, etc, but I have very little time to make anything during term time... which is convenient... because I cant sew, lol!

Dig out that camera dude!

Haha, i just had spare material from when i made the belt so i thought might aswell make them :)

Stupid brother loseing my camera... I'll try and find it as soon as possible ^^
Rubikins

Postby SamW89 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Finally made a start on mine! Nearly finished the practice top, just gotta hem it, then we can make some alterations to it, make the practice undershirt and we can make them both out of the more expensive and higher quality fabric I bought =)

For a full rundown see the Cosplay Progress thread.

(Wearing my trousers that high to emulate how high Goku wears his belt)

SamW89

Postby Son Gopaul on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey there, I'm gonna be with the group on Sunday, and I'm gonna be the People's Champ, HERCULE! WOOO!!!
Also known as Little Emerald.
Son Gopaul

Postby Rubikins on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Son Gopaul wrote:Hey there, I'm gonna be with the group on Sunday, and I'm gonna be the People's Champ, HERCULE! WOOO!!!

Haha AWESOME! OMG, that group is gonna be amazing! :D

SamW89 wrote:Finally made a start on mine! Nearly finished the practice top, just gotta hem it, then we can make some alterations to it, make the practice undershirt and we can make them both out of the more expensive and higher quality fabric I bought =)

That top looks perfect! Much better than mine xD lol. Seriously amazing job!~
Rubikins

Postby SamW89 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:10 am

Thanks, started work on another one now though, altered the pattern slightly and I wanna see if it looks better.

I started a group for us on FaceBook. Everyone should join it.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=pho ... 4139322271

Made a banner type thing too

SamW89

Postby Rubikins on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 am

SamW89 wrote:Thanks, started work on another one now though, altered the pattern slightly and I wanna see if it looks better.

I started a group for us on FaceBook. Everyone should join it.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=pho ... 4139322271

Made a banner type thing too

That banner is SO freaking cool! :D
Joined the facebook group~ I'll send some invites around! ^^
Rubikins

Postby SamW89 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 pm

I might be getting a wig from Quantum Destiny. Been in contact with her recently and it'll cost me a pretty penny but it'll be so worth it. Here's an example of her work:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1690114/

Also, one of my best mates is coming along as Vegeta! He's debating doing Android saga armour or the Freeza battle armour (similar to Android, but white shoulders instead of gold straps)
SamW89

Postby Rubikins on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:26 pm

SamW89 wrote:I might be getting a wig from Quantum Destiny. Been in contact with her recently and it'll cost me a pretty penny but it'll be so worth it. Here's an example of her work:

Also, one of my best mates is coming along as Vegeta! He's debating doing Android saga armour or the Freeza battle armour (similar to Android, but white shoulders instead of gold straps)

I LOVE Quantum Destiny's work. I got tips from her about making my Gohan wig. :P
So I made mine the way she made hers. She's always really nice and helpfull. :)
Either way, you know with one of her wigs it'll look fantastic! :D

I like the Android Saga (with the gold straps) :3
Is he going both days? I'll put him on the list~
Rubikins

Postby Almighty-trunks on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:55 pm

SamW89 wrote:I might be getting a wig from Quantum Destiny. Been in contact with her recently and it'll cost me a pretty penny but it'll be so worth it. Here's an example of her work:

Im rather jealous you managed to get in touch with her, she's never replied to me :(
Almighty-trunks

Postby SamW89 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 pm

Yeah he'll be there both days. He might do Namek armour one day, Android the other, he doesn't know yet.

Sorry to hear she never got back to you Trunks.
SamW89

Postby SamW89 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:39 pm

I just had an awesome idea. Y'know what we need? A battle royale! >=]

(Remember, play nice and you're not supposed to actually connect your punches. It's all fake, just like the WWE)
SamW89

Postby Son Gopaul on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:42 am

Ah, so that'd be perfect for me then! I'd be up for any mock battles on Sunday!
Son Gopaul

Postby Ryoko on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Im not sure yet if Im wearing a wig or not, it'll depend on whether I can fork out the extra cash or not.... or just do something girly and stickey up-ey with my hair.
Im having to dye my costume orange because I cant get the right colour material (though I have found a dress that I can modify...thank you American Apparel...) does 'Goldfish Orange' sound right to you guys? lol.

If theres a fight mock up I'll be there with my camera! Im a better photogropher than I am pretend puncher.
Ryoko

Postby Son Gopaul on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:27 am

Sorry guys, due to very new news, I may or may not be coming as Hercule. It's not definite yet though?
Son Gopaul

Postby otakugirl on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:24 pm

Rubikins wrote:If your planning on going in May as anyone from Dragonball/Z/GT then i'll add you to the list!!!!
Just say what days and who! :)
We can organise to meet up at one point as the date gets closer, also any progress shots would be awesome :D
(Just to clarify i am not in charge of organising a photoshoot, however whoever wants to, can. ^^)

Saturday:

SSJ Gohan (cell saga) - Rubikins
SSJ Goku (cell saga) - Rubikins's friend.
Bardock - Rubikin's friend.
SNJ Goku - Ryoko
Goku (freeza saga) - SamW89
Vegeta - SamW89's friend

Sunday:

Gohan (saiyaman saga) - Raymatt Havoc
Saiyawoman (saiyaman saga) - Demon Chibi (MAYBE)
Goku (saiyaman saga) - meproct
Gohan (saiyaman saga) - silzer
Piccolo (saiyaman saga) - berserk667
Saiyaman (saiyaman saga) - Joe-d-luffy
Saiyawoman (saiyaman saga) - Emzone
Bulma (saiyaman saga) - navigatorxnami
Vegeta (saiyaman saga) - evilsnowball
Yamcha (saiyaman saga) - Mikejenks
Goten (saiyaman saga) - TheMagicalLucy
Trunks (saiyaman saga) - Gadgeto
Android 18 (saiyaman saga) - lunasky
Hercule Satan (saiyaman saga) - Son Gopaul
Goku (blue gi) - SamW89
Vegeta - SamW89's friend

I finished my gohan wig the other night, i'm very proud of it! It looks ALOT better in real life and It still needs some tweaking (im gonna shorten the middle bang) but otherwise it's done.... tell me what ya think ^^
http://rubikins.deviantart.com/art/Gohan-Super-Saiyan-wig-test-142406400

The wig is awesome!! Its one of the best i've seen for dragonball. I went as Bulma last year (2009) with my boyfriend as yamcha and my sister as Lunch. You'll have to let me know where all of you are going to be, dragonball is one of my fav animes and i would love to have pics of you all!
otakugirl

Postby Son Gopaul on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah, sorry again guys. I'm confirming I'm not doing Hercule any more.

Maybe another time perhaps?
Son Gopaul

Postby Rubikins on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Son Gopaul wrote:Yeah, sorry again guys. I'm confirming I'm not doing Hercule any more.

Maybe another time perhaps?

Aw too bad... It's ok though :) Good luck with your other cosplays!!!

otakugirlGoku wrote:
The wig is awesome!! Its one of the best i've seen for dragonball. I went as Bulma last year (2009) with my boyfriend as yamcha and my sister as Lunch. You'll have to let me know where all of you are going to be, dragonball is one of my fav animes and i would love to have pics of you all!

Thankyou! It means alot :D I've fixed the middle bang now so it looks a little more accurate... :)
I saw all of you! I lost sight of you in the crowds though so couldn't get a picture. :(

I'm thinking front steps at a certain time... any suggestions?
Rubikins

Postby Ryoko on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Hoping to have a progress pic soon, I bought my orange dye yesterday, Ooh, and I have killer shoes and matching handbag...Because Goku needs nice shoes and handbag....its attention to detail at least, lol! My blue t-shirt should have been delivered by now, I cant wait for half term to get working on it!

Im not sure about what symbols to put on my costume, I'm stuck between Master Roshi (turtle) on front and back (its old school byt Im fond of it), or turtle on front and Kaio-samma on the back.... (Namek saga Goku does rock) or Goku on the front and Kai on the back....grrrr, decissions! I dont want to leave it and have a plain Gi.... because thats just not nerdy enough.

I also found the perfect blue sash at American Apparel... giving my complete uselessness at sewing and lack of time, its perfect!
Ryoko

PreviousNext

Return to COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO