The Newbie Thread!

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories. Dont forget to visit the main website at http://www.londonexpo.com for updates also

Re: The Newbie Thread!

Postby Scoot on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Hey
Iv'e been to the expo twice now but in October it will be my first time cosplaying! I love the expo but everytime I go I regret talking and getting to know people, but this year hopefully I'll get to know some people :mrgreen: Hopefully anyway, I'm quite shy...
Scoot

Postby ShadowGuardianJ93 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Scoot wrote:Hey
Iv'e been to the expo twice now but in October it will be my first time cosplaying! I love the expo but everytime I go I regret talking and getting to know people, but this year hopefully I'll get to know some people :mrgreen: Hopefully anyway, I'm quite shy...

im also quite a shy person too, i went to expo a few years ago but that was kinda wrecked by the person i went with so i dont count that as i time ive been so may was my first proper expo for me.
I met up with a group from the anime i was cosplaying and they were al really freindly and im still in contact with them, being someone that finds it hard talking to new people and getting involved, i foundit really easy to make the friends i did and im still in contact with at least half the group i met.

hopefully this helps you a little =D
Friday, Saturday
Allen Walker 3rd Uni Crown Clown
Sunday
Air Gear
ShadowGuardianJ93

Postby Scoot on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:47 pm

ShadowGuardianJ93 wrote:
Scoot wrote:Hey

im also quite a shy person too, i went to expo a few years ago but that was kinda wrecked by the person i went with so i dont count that as i time ive been so may was my first proper expo for me.
I met up with a group from the anime i was cosplaying and they were al really freindly and im still in contact with them, being someone that finds it hard talking to new people and getting involved, i foundit really easy to make the friends i did and im still in contact with at least half the group i met.

hopefully this helps you a little =D

Yeah I find it hard to get involved, I go with my boyfriend and we kind of just keep to ourselves but this year is my first time cosplaying and i'm going as Death the Kid (but girl version) so hopefully I might find a group to talk to :D
Scoot

Postby ShadowGuardianJ93 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:27 pm

im sure you will find people there i mean i saw quite a few cosplaying that character im may so you should find some pretty quickly 8)
Friday, Saturday
Sunday
Air Gear
ShadowGuardianJ93

Postby arucart on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:08 am

About the early tickets are there a limited amount or is it ok to leave it for a while?
arucart

Postby Pokegirl3000 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 pm

October is going to be my first time and I am SO excited! Because I live quite near to London, I'll probably take the train there and back. I am so thankfull that the times are reasonable. I've head some conventions in America can go on until after midnight! This event will be sensible though. I hope I don't look like an idiot on the train. Anyway, for ONE day, how much money do you not-so-newbies think I should bring for the stalls?
Pokegirl3000

Postby Adziu on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 pm

Pokegirl3000 wrote:October is going to be my first time and I am SO excited! Because I live quite near to London, I'll probably take the train there and back. I am so thankfull that the times are reasonable. I've head some conventions in America can go on until after midnight! This event will be sensible though. I hope I don't look like an idiot on the train. Anyway, for ONE day, how much money do you not-so-newbies think I should bring for the stalls?

Most cons hosted in hotels over here go on that late too! But yeah, Expo is a little different.

As for how much money to bring, that depends entirely on how much you want to buy! If you're going home between days, though, I'd recommend bringing some £50 or a little more and then if you find that hopelessly inadequate bring more the next day!
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Schluffy on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the dumb question, I'm only familiar with {mod edit - it's against the rules to discuss events not affiliated with the MCM Expo here} and would like to come to MCM in october so I can actually go to a convention that actually give a dam about comic guests!

Just a quick question. What is the protocol of comic signing prices? Is it like {edit} where its usually one free and pay for the rest or is that a price for every signature? Sorry I could never find a price list for previous cons when I visited the forum.

Thanks for any replies!
Schluffy

Postby echoamaru on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Hiya!

Newbie question (guess this is the right place for it!)

I've bee looking at the 'guests' link from the main page (appearing with John Noble and Jaskia Nicole at the top), but it says that they were the guests appearing at the May Expo - is this right?

If so, can anyone guestimate when guests for the October Expo are announced (or direct me to somewhere obvious that the announcements have been hiding that I've missed in my newbie-ness)

Many thanks!
echoamaru

Postby JellyTheGreen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:37 pm

echoamaru wrote:If so, can anyone guestimate when guests for the October Expo are announced (or direct me to somewhere obvious that the announcements have been hiding that I've missed in my newbie-ness)

Many thanks!

This generally happens in the month leading up to the expo.
JellyTheGreen

Postby pixelwixel on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Raymatt Havoc wrote:What hotel has the best prices for drink?

I don’t know the excel area that well but if you take the DLR two stops west then there are a few good pubs near canning town station. The area is a little run down so some people might not feel comfortable there. If you take to DLR a few more stops west from excel then it’s only a few minutes from Canary wharf and there are lots of bars and pubs there, they have their own private security so it’s really safe and there is even a wetherspoons there.
pixelwixel

Postby Kiyoka on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:57 pm

I've not been to an expo before. Well I've been to a memorabilia (sp) one, and that was PACKED.

My friend told me this is no different, expo is really packed. Still enjoyable? =/

Oh and I only do original cosplays, would that be okay to enter the masq/catwalk whatever you call it? :D
Kiyoka

Postby Adziu on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:07 am

Kiyoka wrote:I've not been to an expo before. Well I've been to a memorabilia (sp) one, and that was PACKED.

My friend told me this is no different, expo is really packed. Still enjoyable? =/

Oh and I only do original cosplays, would that be okay to enter the masq/catwalk whatever you call it? :D

Expo on a Saturday is...well, if you think that Memorabilia was packed, this will probably be on a whole new scale for you. A huge number of people attend, and that for me is part of what makes it enjoyable. Sundays are less hectic.

And yes, original cosplays are often seen in the masquerade. Just don't get disheartened if you don't get as a big a cheer as you would for doing something from series people love.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby ShadowGuardianJ93 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Adziu wrote:
Kiyoka wrote:I've not been to an expo before. Well I've been to a memorabilia (sp) one, and that was PACKED.

Expo on a Saturday is...well, if you think that Memorabilia was packed, this will probably be on a whole new scale for you. A huge number of people attend, and that for me is part of what makes it enjoyable. Sundays are less hectic.

And yes, original cosplays are often seen in the masquerade. Just don't get disheartened if you don't get as a big a cheer as you would for doing something from series people love.

october will see Euro Cosplay too so theres gonna be a lot more then what there was in may and there was roughly 40 000 + a least
Friday, Saturday
Sunday
Air Gear
ShadowGuardianJ93

Postby Schluffy on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey guys, just want to re-ask my question as no one replied (also sorry for the rule breaking problem I didn't realise (n00b) won't happen again. :oops: )

Any idea of a price list for guests? Do a majority of the comic people charge or is it usually free? What's it like most years at MCM as ive never seen a price list on the forum (again, n00b sorry) Many thanks as I would really like to know. Cheers. :)
Schluffy

Postby Pokegirl3000 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:18 am

Adziu wrote:
Pokegirl3000 wrote:October is going to be my first time and I am SO excited! Because I live quite near to London, I'll probably take the train there and back. I am so thankfull that the times are reasonable. I've head some conventions in America can go on until after midnight! This event will be sensible though. I hope I don't look like an idiot on the train. Anyway, for ONE day, how much money do you not-so-newbies think I should bring for the stalls?

Most cons hosted in hotels over here go on that late too! But yeah, Expo is a little different.

As for how much money to bring, that depends entirely on how much you want to buy! If you're going home between days, though, I'd recommend bringing some £50 or a little more and then if you find that hopelessly inadequate bring more the next day!

Thank you so much! Okay, here's one.
Don't judge me.

Is it completely horrific to BUY a cosplaying costume because I know people make them theirselves. Is it too much of a crime?
Pokegirl3000

Postby Adziu on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:01 am

Oh no, you'll see many, many people in bought cosplays. There's nothing wrong with that.

Just 1. don't enter the costume into any competitions, and especially 2. don't lie to anybody. A lot of people buy outfits and then claim to have made them because of the kudos that comes with being able to craft something. It's really not on and usually comes out in the end.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Pokegirl3000 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:49 am

Adziu wrote:Oh no, you'll see many, many people in bought cosplays. There's nothing wrong with that.

Just 1. don't enter the costume into any competitions, and especially 2. don't lie to anybody. A lot of people buy outfits and then claim to have made them because of the kudos that comes with being able to craft something. It's really not on and usually comes out in the end.

Oh, no no! I wasn't going to enter competitions! Even when I do make my own costume I won't have the courage to. The only reason I might (if my parents ever open their eyes to what 'm saying) buy a costume is because I don't have time to make one as I only founf out about this last month. But thank you, you're taken all the stress about that away now... *phew*

---

Okay, so I know there is storage for £1 an item. Does that mean if you store something, take it out, and want to store it again, you need to pay another £1? If there are a few going, would it be wise to put all bags into one large enough to store them all?
Pokegirl3000

Postby NetCeer on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:45 pm

I've never been o ta con before so I have no idea what to expect xD How long are the queues? How much earlier should I be there by? Is the stuff there expensive? Should I try and cosplay? I can only go for one day so should I go on Saturaday or Sunday? (Ive heard that there are good deals on stuff on Sunday) What extra stuff should I take with me part from money and myself :D
Sorry if they are all stupid questions >.<
NetCeer

Postby OptimisticRebel on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:28 am

NetCeer wrote:I've never been o ta con before so I have no idea what to expect xD How long are the queues? How much earlier should I be there by? Is the stuff there expensive? Should I try and cosplay? I can only go for one day so should I go on Saturaday or Sunday? (Ive heard that there are good deals on stuff on Sunday) What extra stuff should I take with me part from money and myself :D
Sorry if they are all stupid questions >.<

I've never been before, but I know people who have, so I can answer some of it.
The queues are huge, more than an hour for general entry.
If you buy Early Entry or General Entry on the day, you queue up at the ticket booth. If you buy an Advance Early entry, and have it sent as a .pdf, you obviously bypass this queue - you already have a ticket so you don't need to queue and buy one.
The second queue is to queue up for your wristbands, at this point you will have a ticket, and you are allowed in in this order, from 9:00, Advance Early Entry and Early Entry Holders, if you buy your ticket online, you get priority over those who buy on the day. Then General Entry ticket holders will be allowed in from 11:00 as long as the first 2 queues have cleared.
I know i won't arrive in Euston until 09:18, so the earliest I will get to expo will be 10:00, but I am buying online so will go straight to the Advance queue. In short, it depends what ticket you get on how early you are queueing. General and Early on the day will be in the same ticket queue, so even if you get an early ticket, this will only shorten the time queueing for your wristband, NOT your ticket. BUY ONLINE!!!

What 'stuff' do you mean? There are a lot of food shops and restaurants if you want lunch, but yes, they are overpriced. As for the sellers in the expo hall, it will depend on the seller.

Cosplay to your strengths. I am cosplaying, it's my first expo, and first cosplay. Do a character you know you can pull off. Don't do anything over-extravagant if you don't think you can do it.
Everybody says L from Death Note is over-played, but it is great for a beginner. Try out a few things, and don't substitute items that are hard to get hold of. You want to look as near as possible, try to find it, or play someone else.

I can also go on only one day, as I have to go on the morning. I chose Saturday. It depends how you are getting there; I am getting 2 buses, a National Rail train, an Underground train and 2 DLR carriages.
If you are using Public Transport and travelling across the country, Go Saturday, because of Sunday services.
Sellers may be offering better prices on Sunday, as it is the last day, and they want to flog as much stock as possible. Some people do shopping on Sunday, because Expo is less crowded, so easier to see what is being sold. Bear in mind that if you go on Sunday you will not be asked for as many photographs.

Take with you, yeah money. However much you plan on buying. I don't know if they have cash machines. Restaurants may offer cashback if you pay by card, i don't know. A backpack or small bag, again remember it will be crowded, they have lockers to store stuff, but be aware that once you've locked your stuff up, you will only be able to unlock it once, and that is to take your stuff out. Once you take your stuff, you can't put it back. Lockers cost £1 for the day (or as long as you want to leave it there). Take a small Notebook, when people ask for a photo, ask them to sign your book or write a small message, it's nice and lots of people do it.
OptimisticRebel

Postby NetCeer on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:55 am

Thank you very much for answering my questions! Seems like I have to plan my transport route more carefully coz it doesn't seem that straightforward xD For tickets, I'm probably getting an advanced early ticket so don't have to wait that long. Also do you mind me asking who you are going to cosplay as? And if your making or buying the costume. The lockers don't seem that useful and thanks for sharing the notebook idea because I think it's wonderful =D I'll probably be going on Saturday like you as there are more people so more pictures! Once again thanks for taking your time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it :D
NetCeer

Postby OptimisticRebel on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:28 pm

NetCeer wrote:Thank you very much for answering my questions! Seems like I have to plan my transport route more carefully coz it doesn't seem that straightforward xD For tickets, I'm probably getting an advanced early ticket so don't have to wait that long. Also do you mind me asking who you are going to cosplay as? And if your making or buying the costume. The lockers don't seem that useful and thanks for sharing the notebook idea because I think it's wonderful =D I'll probably be going on Saturday like you as there are more people so more pictures! Once again thanks for taking your time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it :D

It all depends where you are coming from.
I am traveling from Northampton, so will leave my house for the bus at 7:20
You just need to check your train times.
Good choice on ticket. haha :)

I am cosplaying Luke Triton from Professor Layton.
I bought each item from different shops.
You can see my cosplay here; http://www.cosplay.com/costume/317089/

You're very welcome. I had a few questions, that's why i joined the forums, but they are sorted now, so it's all good :)
OptimisticRebel

Postby Weasel on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Yes there are cash machines, they're down on the car park level, usually have a fairly large que though...
In May i got to expo at 7am on the Saturday and we wasn't even at the front of the line, god knows what time some people get there... but was worth it because we was some of the first in, plus goody back :D :D As already mentioned, Saturday is awesome for the atmosphere and Sunday is good for shopping, not AS busy.
There is also a "Cosplay desk" inside the expo aswell as the lockers outside, this is a post from Granny Gertrude:

The Cosplay Desk offers to cosplayers the following services for FREE:

Costume repairs (including assistance)
Bag and stuff storage
Water and sweeties
Fascinating conversation :P

You'll find us under the massive eight foot Cosplay@Expo banner ^_^

So yeah, if you wanna take your own food i don't see why you can't bag it and put it at the cosplay desk...
One thing i will deffo say bring, is water, lots of water, it gets so hot in the hall and i'm sure they don't want you passing out everywhere :D
Weasel

Postby Adziu on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:22 pm

There are also HSBC cash machines just inside the Custom House entrance to the ExCel centre (where almost everyone will be entering)
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby neiul on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:14 pm

heyy guys, complete newb here - first time at any proper movie/comics/media/anime/whatever convention. So I was wondering about a few things.
1) How big are the queues with a buy-on-the-day regular entry ticket compared to with a book-in -advance early entry ticket?
2) Is cosplaying recommended? What sort of proportion of people do it? Will I feel under-dressed in plain clothes while surrounded by demons and zombies and Final Fantasy characters? If I were to cosplay it would be as L because his costume is pretty damn straightforward, but I've never tried it before. Also, saturday or sunday? [EDIT: to clarify; cosplay on saturday or sunday, I'm going for the whole weekend but I dun wanna be a smelly sod n_n]
3) I can't waiiit!

Sorry if I sound like an insecure whiny kid who is only asking questions that have been answered a bajillion times and everyone is sick of or whatever n_n
neiul

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT