The Newbie Thread!

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories. Dont forget to visit the main website at http://www.londonexpo.com for updates also

Re: The Newbie Thread!

Postby OptimisticRebel on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:44 pm

neiul wrote:heyy guys, complete newb here - first time at any proper movie/comics/media/anime/whatever convention. So I was wondering about a few things.
1) How big are the queues with a buy-on-the-day regular entry ticket compared to with a book-in -advance early entry ticket?
2) Is cosplaying recommended? What sort of proportion of people do it? Will I feel under-dressed in plain clothes while surrounded by demons and zombies and Final Fantasy characters? If I were to cosplay it would be as L because his costume is pretty damn straightforward, but I've never tried it before. Also, saturday or sunday? [EDIT: to clarify; cosplay on saturday or sunday, I'm going for the whole weekend but I dun wanna be a smelly sod n_n]
3) I can't waiiit!

Sorry if I sound like an insecure whiny kid who is only asking questions that have been answered a bajillion times and everyone is sick of or whatever n_n

I'm also new, but being around the forums and knowing people who go really does help.

1) The queues are immense.
The first queue is for those buying early entry and general entry on the day.
The second queue, to collect wristbands, is split into 3 lines; -Advance Early Entry, -Early Entry, -General Entry.
From 9:00, the AEE queue will be allowed in. Once this has cleared, the EE queue will be allowed in. Then from 11:00 the General Entry queue will be allowed in.
If you buy the ticket online, you bypass the first queue.

2) Cosplay if you want to. There will be enough people going that you won't look odd without it. You hit the nail there with L, he is always the character people recommend to beginners. If you want to be in more photos, and more publicity, go on Saturday. You may also meet me, and i'm completely mad, but isn't everybody? :D
If you want to buy shopping, or whatever, go on Sunday, as it is less crowded.

Edit; Both days?
Okay, most people going both days normally do a different cosplay on each day. Some people cosplay as the same character both days, though, so you could do that.
If you only wanna cosplay one day, do it Saturday, for the photos and stuff.

Hope to see you there :)
OptimisticRebel

Postby neiul on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:19 pm

that's really helpful, thanks mate :D
neiul

Postby Pokegirl3000 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:55 pm

@neiul
If you're allowed on YouTube, there are loads of videos of past MCM Expos. If you want to see how they are, you can look them up.
Pokegirl3000

Postby BlueNutmeg on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:53 pm

I might be being a bit special here but what is the masquerade and totally cosplay? I just sort of assumed they were renaming the cosplay board? I looked at the page on the main website but its more than a little vague. Ive been to the expo three times now so why haven't I heard of it?
Sat-Draugr
Sun-Fem.Scout
BlueNutmeg

Postby ashwerewolf on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:54 am

yeah its just a rename to go with the expo's "new look" that and before it used to just be cosplay/masquerade can't remember which
ashwerewolf

Postby Xigalicious on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:54 pm

hello people on the newbie thread :D I've been to quite a few expos myself so I'll just try and answer some of the questions i remember reading
i beleive someone asked about the proportion of cosplayers...? I'd say maybe half or more? then again.. they generally stand out more so perhaps they just look like there be more. *shrug*
it's fine to not go in cosplay.. and probably easier as bags and things can be a bit difficult with a costume sometimes ^^"

advice for extra things to bring (not including money)! camera! spare batteries! and WATER! seriously, you can buy it there but its a good idea to take a couple of bottles with you anyway. It can get really hot inside with all the people about so you've gotta be careful about dehydration (although should be less of a problem in oct.. hopefully)
ahh i hope that doesn't make it sound scary >.<"
On the subject of transport. If you live far away from London make sure to check rail prices regularly to get the best deal ( normally a couple of months before the event is cheapest) or you can end up paying more than you need to. And of course double check your train times! You don't want to miss it and end up having to buy more tickets last minute. So plan your route carefully :)
ahh one note about queueing.. i find it doesn't generally go in on time anyway. A note on that.. i think at past expos you get a goodie bag if your near the front of the queue, don't know if they're still doing that but it's an extra incentive to get their early ^^
for cosplaying on both days.. it's fine to wear the same cosplay, but if you're worried about being smelly make sure to shower regularly etc etc. This should be a given really and i'm not sure why i'm pointing it out <.<

but basically have fun ^^ and don't be afraid to talk to new people, everyone's really friendly
Xigalicious

Postby Pokegirl3000 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:31 pm

@BlueNutmeg
The masquerade contains different things. Uh, people enter themselves to either go up on stage and show their outfits, maybe like a catwalk thing. Or they do a skit. Could be dancing or acting. But I'm new as well, so this is from what I've seen/read. TotallyCosplay are the people that run the cosplaying table, I think. ^^' So they have games and repairs and etc. There's a board about it if you want to learn more.
Pokegirl3000

Postby The-1-Panda on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Well hello fellow.. People! 8D
October Expo is my first Con/Expo/whatever outside of Sweden and i'm going alone so i guess what i am doing right now is saying that, if you see me, say hi! I MIGHT do a Dragonite cosplay so that a way to find me but otherwise, see if you find a guy with a t-shirt that says "Representing Sweden and Salty Popstickle production". :D
The-1-Panda

Postby Alynia on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:10 am

Hi! A newbie here! :)

This should (hopefully) be my first Expo that I've been too, I only found out when me and a friend made a special trip to TokyoToys and one of the staff mentioned about it :D . So its got both me and my friend wanting to go, getting there is no trouble for us, but we were both thinking of staying for the whole weekend, but looking at some prices earlier made me wish I did it a lot sooner :lol: So I was curious if there were any places that wouldn't be too expensive? ^_^

So perhaps a Day would be good, either way.. If I do go expect to see a couple of excited girls going nuts with a camera (namely me, I loves me a good bunch of photos! :D )
Alynia

Postby OptimisticRebel on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:24 am

Alynia wrote:Hi! A newbie here! :)

This should (hopefully) be my first Expo that I've been too, I only found out when me and a friend made a special trip to TokyoToys and one of the staff mentioned about it :D . So its got both me and my friend wanting to go, getting there is no trouble for us, but we were both thinking of staying for the whole weekend, but looking at some prices earlier made me wish I did it a lot sooner :lol: So I was curious if there were any places that wouldn't be too expensive? ^_^

So perhaps a Day would be good, either way.. If I do go expect to see a couple of excited girls going nuts with a camera (namely me, I loves me a good bunch of photos! :D )

The cheapest you're gonna get in London would probably be at a Premier Inn, it's just not worth paying for a hotel.

As for the camera, most cosplayers would be really happy to be asked for a photo. :D
OptimisticRebel

Postby Alynia on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:06 am

OptimisticRebel wrote:
Alynia wrote:Hi! A newbie here! :)

The cheapest you're gonna get in London would probably be at a Premier Inn, it's just not worth paying for a hotel.

As for the camera, most cosplayers would be really happy to be asked for a photo. :D

Excellent! :D And its a good chance to meet new people too! :3
Now to wait for my friend to reply to me and hopefully.. we shall be ready! :D
Alynia

Postby Black★MalachiteMaker on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Hey people. ^__^ I'm Hopefully going to my first London expo. >w< (If my dad can agree with taking me and my sister).
I went to a Midlands expo a few years ago, but never cosplayed. xD If i'm able to make the London expo, i'll be cosplaying as Hatsune Miku, and my sister may be Kagamine Rin. ^^ I'll only be going down on the Saturday though. D:

I have a question! Is anyone taking the Grantham train to London? ^^ Me and my sister were hoping to go with a group maybe. xD
:3
Black★MalachiteMaker

Postby OptimisticRebel on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Black★MalachiteMaker wrote:Hey people. ^__^ I'm Hopefully going to my first London expo. >w< (If my dad can agree with taking me and my sister).
I went to a Midlands expo a few years ago, but never cosplayed. xD If i'm able to make the London expo, i'll be cosplaying as Hatsune Miku, and my sister may be Kagamine Rin. ^^ I'll only be going down on the Saturday though. D:

I have a question! Is anyone taking the Grantham train to London? ^^ Me and my sister were hoping to go with a group maybe. xD

This is my first expo, but most of us on this thread are new.
Hope to see you there.

I am taking a train, but am on a different line.
Northampton is on the Birmingham to Euston line.

Grantham is on the... Kings Cross line, I think.
Is that right?

Anyway, hope you find a group, and good luck with your cosplay :)
OptimisticRebel

Postby Black★MalachiteMaker on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:00 pm

OptimisticRebel wrote:
Black★MalachiteMaker wrote:Hey people. ^__^ I'm Hopefully going to my first London expo. >w< (If my dad can agree with taking me and my sister).

This is my first expo, but most of us on this thread are new.
Hope to see you there.

I am taking a train, but am on a different line.
Northampton is on the Birmingham to Euston line.

Grantham is on the... Kings Cross line, I think.
Is that right?

Anyway, hope you find a group, and good luck with your cosplay :)

Sorry for the late reply. Dx I've been busy.

Yeah, i think Grantham is on the Kings Cross line.

Thank you! ^^ You too. xD
:3
Black★MalachiteMaker

Postby KiraAmore on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:08 pm

hey everyone!!
i am kindda a newbie here, even though i have been to this expo 2 times already, but was stupid enough to only go to the dealers room, and not altullay explore the rest of the expo XD. so now i wanna expolre this expo fully, and going to be cosplaying for the first time, as Lightning from FFXIII! looking for FFXIII people to hang around with though.
so yeah! :D xxx
Lovin' cosplay <3
KiraAmore

Postby KayraUchiha on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey, first time on the site and considering going to the euro cosplay but need to save up for costumes, etc. so won't have enough time for the october one. Mainly interested in Naruto I absolutely <3 naruto :D anyway when is the may euro cosplay IN LONDON, where, why at the top does it say FINAL october 30th? thanks and also am i actually looking at the right convention coz i thought there was an actual naruto convention that was just for naruto, normal and shippuden? i might be wrong, and i probably am but just wanted to double check... and what is actually cosplay i am so stupid i dont know what it is :/ sorry!! :oops:
basically i need the whole story on everything :) :) is there like a walkthough forum thing?

bascically i am a total newbie and need all the information i can get :) thanx alot people i really need this help

Kayra

oh and also do they sell Naruto costumes here? thanks again 8) :lol: :shock: :o
KayraUchiha

Postby Xigalicious on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 pm

okie dokie!
hello and welcome new people!
I'll take a shot at answering a few questions...

Firstly this is the euro cosplay finals because all over europe in various conventions they hold cosplay competitions ( cosplaying is basically dressing up as a character to put it very simply, people can also act like that character.. ) the winners of these are the finalists for the euro cosplay event which is being held at the MCM expo, so basically the best cosplayers from across europe will be there to show off their costuming talents! You can watch this on the saturday (oct 30th) inside the main hall (don't know if tickets are free for this or not yet..) which will be occuring instead of the usual masquerade. So I have no idea if euro cosplay is happening again in May, sorry.
I've never heard of a Naruto convention specifically.. but lots of people do cosplay from Naruto and will get together for photoshoots and such (as with all the other groups from various animes/mangas/etc). So no this is not exclusively for Naruto, but there will be people there dressed from Naruto as it's quite popular. I don't think they sell full Naruto costumes, but they do sell pieces like gloves, hats, headbands, coats and weapons.
I've never seen a walkthrough forum.. but feel free to ask any questions in this thread since it is the Newbie thread!

Hope that helped! :D
Xigalicious

Postby KayraUchiha on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Xigalicious wrote:okie dokie!
hello and welcome new people!
I'll take a shot at answering a few questions...

Firstly this is the euro cosplay finals because all over europe in various conventions they hold cosplay competitions ( cosplaying is basically dressing up as a character to put it very simply, people can also act like that character.. ) the winners of these are the finalists for the euro cosplay event which is being held at the MCM expo, so basically the best cosplayers from across europe will be there to show off their costuming talents! You can watch this on the saturday (oct 30th) inside the main hall (don't know if tickets are free for this or not yet..) which will be occuring instead of the usual masquerade. So I have no idea if euro cosplay is happening again in May, sorry.
I've never heard of a Naruto convention specifically.. but lots of people do cosplay from Naruto and will get together for photoshoots and such (as with all the other groups from various animes/mangas/etc). So no this is not exclusively for Naruto, but there will be people there dressed from Naruto as it's quite popular. I don't think they sell full Naruto costumes, but they do sell pieces like gloves, hats, headbands, coats and weapons.
I've never seen a walkthrough forum.. but feel free to ask any questions in this thread since it is the Newbie thread!

Hope that helped! :D

thanks for all the advice :D
i was hoping that anyone would know about ANY anime conventions early in 2011 in LONDON, SURREY or that area but mainly these places? It would be soo helpful :) pleeassee :cry:
KayraUchiha

Postby kittyboo80 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Hey I'm new to the forum but I've been once to the expo but this will be my first time cosplaying properly.

I'm going as Princess Tutu and I'm trying to gether a meet up or gathering of anyone else who wants to join us, my sister is going as Kraehe. I'm new to the whole cosplaying thing so I could really use some tips and advice, my costume is finished and everythings booked. Now all I need is to try and meet up with some other cosplayers who'll be able to help me out or who'll love to join on mine and my sister Princess tutu cosplay.

Thanks

~Charlie~
^^ Princess tutu and Kraehe will be at the expo in October ^^
kittyboo80

Postby live_with_love on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Hey, guys, I've been to Expo twice now, once in october and once in may. Cosplayed both times and had an amazing time.

If anyone wants any help at all, feel free to contact me <3

kittyboo80 wrote:Hey I'm new to the forum but I've been once to the expo but this will be my first time cosplaying properly.

I'm going as Princess Tutu and I'm trying to gether a meet up or gathering of anyone else who wants to join us, my sister is going as Kraehe. I'm new to the whole cosplaying thing so I could really use some tips and advice, my costume is finished and everythings booked. Now all I need is to try and meet up with some other cosplayers who'll be able to help me out or who'll love to join on mine and my sister Princess tutu cosplay.

Thanks

~Charlie~

Cosplay tips?

BRING WATER. If you're wearing the tutu, your cosplay shouldn't be too hot but I'm assuming you're going to be wearing a wig? You WILL get massively hot because of that, even if the weather behaves and it's actually cool in october this year. You do not want to dehydrate; it is not fun and completely messes up your pictures XD I know a water bottle or three can sometimes feel really heavy in a bag, but you will need it.

MAKE SURE TO EAT. Sometimes taking a break to eat lunch will seem like less fun than playing around with your new cosplay friend. You MUST eat and eat HEALTHILY. Pocky doesn't count. Fainting from hunger is even less fun then dehydrating AND you want energy to run around with people, don't you? If you don't want to make and bring your own lunch, make sure to budget in buying food.

Be prepared to be stared at. There are 'normal' people walking through the EXCell centre and they will stare at you. Quite often I've had people randomly taking pictures with their phone as they walk past. Try and take that as a compliment XD

Bring a little kit in case of cosplay malfunctions. Some costumes are quite fragile and you'll want some thread, scissors, tape, ect on hand or in your hotel room to repair any damage. Also helps if you need to finish things/make adjustments the night before ;)

Do you want to go to the dealers' room? Think about how small some of those aisles are when there's loads of people in there and consider whether your cosplay will be a nuisance. I'm not saying don't go in there, just be prepared to be side stepping people and to be extra careful. Or go in on Sunday, when it'll be less crowded.

You will probably be asked for quite a few photos. This is definitely a compliment :3 I love having my photo taken, but if you don't, don't cosplay. It's probably a good idea to figure out some sort of 'pose' that you'll assume when you're photographed. It's easier than trying to decide on the spot ;)

Don't be afraid to just walk up to another Princess Tutu cosplayer and say hi. If you're cosplaying from the same series, you have a common interest! Go take some photos together or do an impromtu skit! Some of my best friends at expos have been bleach cosplayers who I had no idea who they were before I walked up to them. You'll have so much more fun if you're ready to get into character and play around. I was very nearly stabbed by a Gin as Izuru and I got into a fight with an Aizen. It was great fun XD

Are you cosplaying more than one day? Definitely shower after each day, no matter how tired you are. You will get hot and sweaty in your costume, if for no other reason than the wig/make-up and that just gets worse if you don't shower.

Quite often you'll find you end up spending more time on your feet than you expected to. Running around and finding other cosplayers, doing skits and posing for photos all add up. Make sure you take breaks to sit down and get a good night's sleep each night. It'll be less fun otherwise, trust me. Does your costume have any large props? Are they heavy? Make sure to remember you'll be walking for 8 hours or so every day; can you carry them for that long?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: be friendly! We're all cosplaying to have fun, you do not want to be the snobby cosplayer who refuses to stop for photos or makes loud remarks about the quality of others' costumes. Play nice and others will too :3

I think that's about it XD If you have any other qquestions, feel free to ask :3
live_with_love

Postby JellyTheGreen on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:52 pm

you do not want to be the snobby cosplayer who refuses to stop for photos

Just saying, but you don't HAVE to stop for photos, you might be looking for someone or just don't want to spend another minute on your feet. You do not have to stop unless you want to.
JellyTheGreen

Postby live_with_love on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:53 pm

JellyTheGreen wrote:
you do not want to be the snobby cosplayer who refuses to stop for photos

Just saying, but you don't HAVE to stop for photos, you might be looking for someone or just don't want to spend another minute on your feet. You do not have to stop unless you want to.

Ah, sorry, I've just realised I didn't word that very well >>;

What I meant was; don't be the person who's rude about it. Just tell them why you can't stop right now and be nice. I've seen people get very nasty when they've been nicely asked for a photo, even some that have completely ignored the request and practically pushed the person aside to walk on.

By all means, I didn't mean to say that you MUST stop, sorry about that ^^;
live_with_love

Postby Churchy99 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:03 am

Hey there guys! This October will be my first time at Expo (the first convention was London Film and Comic Con this year) I've been given some tips for survival so I'm all clued up there) but I have a couple of questions but I'm not sure who to ask!

- There is a suggestion thread for anime voice actors and no-one has been confirmed. If I contacted some VA's and sent them your way is it too late by now?!

- Also in the general chat guest suggestions thread, is it guests from any medium or spectrum attending?

If you could clear up this for me then that would be great!
Churchy99

Postby kittyboo80 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:38 pm

live_with_love wrote:Hey, guys, I've been to Expo twice now, once in october and once in may. Cosplayed both times and had an amazing time.

If anyone wants any help at all, feel free to contact me <3

kittyboo80 wrote:Hey I'm new to the forum but I've been once to the expo but this will be my first time cosplaying properly.

Thanks

~Charlie~

Cosplay tips?

BRING WATER. If you're wearing the tutu, your cosplay shouldn't be too hot but I'm assuming you're going to be wearing a wig? You WILL get massively hot because of that, even if the weather behaves and it's actually cool in october this year. You do not want to dehydrate; it is not fun and completely messes up your pictures XD I know a water bottle or three can sometimes feel really heavy in a bag, but you will need it.

MAKE SURE TO EAT. Sometimes taking a break to eat lunch will seem like less fun than playing around with your new cosplay friend. You MUST eat and eat HEALTHILY. Pocky doesn't count. Fainting from hunger is even less fun then dehydrating AND you want energy to run around with people, don't you? If you don't want to make and bring your own lunch, make sure to budget in buying food.

Be prepared to be stared at. There are 'normal' people walking through the EXCell centre and they will stare at you. Quite often I've had people randomly taking pictures with their phone as they walk past. Try and take that as a compliment XD

Bring a little kit in case of cosplay malfunctions. Some costumes are quite fragile and you'll want some thread, scissors, tape, ect on hand or in your hotel room to repair any damage. Also helps if you need to finish things/make adjustments the night before ;)

Do you want to go to the dealers' room? Think about how small some of those aisles are when there's loads of people in there and consider whether your cosplay will be a nuisance. I'm not saying don't go in there, just be prepared to be side stepping people and to be extra careful. Or go in on Sunday, when it'll be less crowded.

You will probably be asked for quite a few photos. This is definitely a compliment :3 I love having my photo taken, but if you don't, don't cosplay. It's probably a good idea to figure out some sort of 'pose' that you'll assume when you're photographed. It's easier than trying to decide on the spot ;)

Don't be afraid to just walk up to another Princess Tutu cosplayer and say hi. If you're cosplaying from the same series, you have a common interest! Go take some photos together or do an impromtu skit! Some of my best friends at expos have been bleach cosplayers who I had no idea who they were before I walked up to them. You'll have so much more fun if you're ready to get into character and play around. I was very nearly stabbed by a Gin as Izuru and I got into a fight with an Aizen. It was great fun XD

Are you cosplaying more than one day? Definitely shower after each day, no matter how tired you are. You will get hot and sweaty in your costume, if for no other reason than the wig/make-up and that just gets worse if you don't shower.

Quite often you'll find you end up spending more time on your feet than you expected to. Running around and finding other cosplayers, doing skits and posing for photos all add up. Make sure you take breaks to sit down and get a good night's sleep each night. It'll be less fun otherwise, trust me. Does your costume have any large props? Are they heavy? Make sure to remember you'll be walking for 8 hours or so every day; can you carry them for that long?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: be friendly! We're all cosplaying to have fun, you do not want to be the snobby cosplayer who refuses to stop for photos or makes loud remarks about the quality of others' costumes. Play nice and others will too :3

I think that's about it XD If you have any other qquestions, feel free to ask :3

Oh wow thanks for that, yeah I was there in may just to see how it is and fell in love with it and have decided that this year I will cosplay. I will be princess tutu for both days I'll probably only wear my wig for one day seeing as I have quite hair anyway lol my sis however will have a problem she's a long hair and wears a short wig.

I ADORE photo's I'd love if people came up to me and asked for a photo however when it's the other way round I can get quite shy XD

Where would be the best place to change would it be at the hotel or is there somewhere at the expo that you can change.

And can someone please lmessage me through a note or something if you can as I have a real hard time trying to find any quotes for my comments lol.

I'm such a newb XD
^^ Princess tutu and Kraehe will be at the expo in October ^^
kittyboo80

Postby live_with_love on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 pm

kittyboo80 wrote:
Oh wow thanks for that, yeah I was there in may just to see how it is and fell in love with it and have decided that this year I will cosplay. I will be princess tutu for both days I'll probably only wear my wig for one day seeing as I have quite hair anyway lol my sis however will have a problem she's a long hair and wears a short wig.

I ADORE photo's I'd love if people came up to me and asked for a photo however when it's the other way round I can get quite shy XD

Where would be the best place to change would it be at the hotel or is there somewhere at the expo that you can change.

And can someone please lmessage me through a note or something if you can as I have a real hard time trying to find any quotes for my comments lol.

I'm such a newb XD

Haha, yeah, Expo is pretty addictive :3

How long's her hair? I can almost sit on mine and I usually manage XD My trick is to plait it as tight as I can and then pin it flat to my head - or as flat as I can get it! I usually end up with 20+ hairpins, but my wig stays on XD That's a point, do you know how to put your wig on? Make sure you have a wig cap, and it's usually a good idea to hairpin the wig unobtrusively to your head once it's in place.

That's good then :3 I'll see if I can find you and get your picture ;)

There are bathrooms at the expo centre where you can change, but they're usually pretty busy. I'd reccomend changing in the hotel; people riding the trains/underground in london are used to seeing people dressed strangely XD Which hotel are you in? Most of them aren't far from the ExCel centre anyway.

I'm not sure how to message you on here |D You can add me on msn (if you click on the coloured things next to my message one of them should be my msn addy) but make sure to tell me who you are when you do XD But other than that I'm not sure how to contact you

Gla to help x
live_with_love

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT