The Newbie Thread!

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories. Dont forget to visit the main website at http://www.londonexpo.com for updates also

Re: The Newbie Thread!

Postby kittyboo80 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:25 pm

live_with_love wrote:
kittyboo80 wrote:
Oh wow thanks for that, yeah I was there in may just to see how it is and fell in love with it and have decided that this year I will cosplay. I will be princess tutu for both days I'll probably only wear my wig for one day seeing as I have quite hair anyway lol my sis however will have a problem she's a long hair and wears a short wig.

I ADORE photo's I'd love if people came up to me and asked for a photo however when it's the other way round I can get quite shy XD

Where would be the best place to change would it be at the hotel or is there somewhere at the expo that you can change.

And can someone please lmessage me through a note or something if you can as I have a real hard time trying to find any quotes for my comments lol.

I'm such a newb XD

Haha, yeah, Expo is pretty addictive :3

How long's her hair? I can almost sit on mine and I usually manage XD My trick is to plait it as tight as I can and then pin it flat to my head - or as flat as I can get it! I usually end up with 20+ hairpins, but my wig stays on XD That's a point, do you know how to put your wig on? Make sure you have a wig cap, and it's usually a good idea to hairpin the wig unobtrusively to your head once it's in place.

That's good then :3 I'll see if I can find you and get your picture ;)

There are bathrooms at the expo centre where you can change, but they're usually pretty busy. I'd reccomend changing in the hotel; people riding the trains/underground in london are used to seeing people dressed strangely XD Which hotel are you in? Most of them aren't far from the ExCel centre anyway.

I'm not sure how to message you on here |D You can add me on . (if you click on the coloured things next to my message one of them should be my . addy) but make sure to tell me who you are when you do XD But other than that I'm not sure how to contact you

Gla to help x

lol I'm on cosplay island (names the same)if your on there I tried clicking the links under your avvie but apparantly I'm not authorised XD If your allowed I can post my msn addy on here and you can add me that way.

I'm staying in the travel lodge near the city airport which is grand I guess changing at the hotel won't be that bad it's just walking over from the hotel to the convention I'd be scared in case of dirt ^^ but it would save me carrying my giant tutu bag over with me, it's so heavy XD

I've never worn a wig in my life but I used to be a hairdresser lol so I have plenty of bobby pins, my sisters hair is just past her elbows mines shoulder length. The problem I'm having though is catherine's (my sister) wig is slightly synthetic so it's a nightmare to style and cut
^^ Princess tutu and Kraehe will be at the expo in October ^^
kittyboo80

Postby live_with_love on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:43 pm

kittyboo80 wrote:
live_with_love wrote:
Haha, yeah, Expo is pretty addictive :3

How long's her hair? I can almost sit on mine and I usually manage XD My trick is to plait it as tight as I can and then pin it flat to my head - or as flat as I can get it! I usually end up with 20+ hairpins, but my wig stays on XD That's a point, do you know how to put your wig on? Make sure you have a wig cap, and it's usually a good idea to hairpin the wig unobtrusively to your head once it's in place.

That's good then :3 I'll see if I can find you and get your picture ;)

There are bathrooms at the expo centre where you can change, but they're usually pretty busy. I'd reccomend changing in the hotel; people riding the trains/underground in london are used to seeing people dressed strangely XD Which hotel are you in? Most of them aren't far from the ExCel centre anyway.

I'm not sure how to message you on here |D You can add me on . (if you click on the coloured things next to my message one of them should be my . addy) but make sure to tell me who you are when you do XD But other than that I'm not sure how to contact you

Gla to help x

lol I'm on cosplay island (names the same)if your on there I tried clicking the links under your avvie but apparantly I'm not authorised XD If your allowed I can post my . addy on here and you can add me that way.

I'm staying in the travel lodge near the city airport which is grand I guess changing at the hotel won't be that bad it's just walking over from the hotel to the convention I'd be scared in case of dirt ^^ but it would save me carrying my giant tutu bag over with me, it's so heavy XD

I've never worn a wig in my life but I used to be a hairdresser lol so I have plenty of bobby pins, my sisters hair is just past her elbows mines shoulder length. The problem I'm having though is catherine's (my sister) wig is slightly synthetic so it's a nightmare to style and cut

I'm not on cosplay island, but sure I'll add you through (m)(s)((n). Just make sureto put something between the first part the @ and the last part or it' won't show up.

I think you can get the DLR from there or near there straight through to the ExCel centre, which is a pretty easy way of getting there and should be too dirty XD And yeah, the less stuff you have to carry the better, though the centre does have a bag check thing for £1 per bag

Bobby pins are good :3 RIght, make sure you definitely have a wig cap (hair net), then. Pin your hair as flat to your head as you can get it, as evenly as possible. Then put on the wig cap. Then the wig and then use bobby pins to secure it in place.

Best thing I've found with synthetic wigs is that if you heat them up you can style them into practically anything, so long as ytou hold it there while it cools. A hair dryer does the job nicely. And never use hair gell on a wig; it works with oils in our hair that wigs don't have. Make sure you have a wig brush too, hairbrushes turn it into a bit of a nightmare |D
live_with_love

Postby kittyboo80 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 pm

kittyboo80 wrote:

lol I'm on cosplay island (names the same)if your on there I tried clicking the links under your avvie but apparantly I'm not authorised XD If your allowed I can post my . addy on here and you can add me that way.

I'm not on cosplay island, but sure I'll add you through (m)(s)((n). Just make sureto put something between the first part the @ and the last part or it' won't show up.

I think you can get the DLR from there or near there straight through to the ExCel centre, which is a pretty easy way of getting there and should be too dirty XD And yeah, the less stuff you have to carry the better, though the centre does have a bag check thing for £1 per bag

Bobby pins are good :3 RIght, make sure you definitely have a wig cap (hair net), then. Pin your hair as flat to your head as you can get it, as evenly as possible. Then put on the wig cap. Then the wig and then use bobby pins to secure it in place.

Best thing I've found with synthetic wigs is that if you heat them up you can style them into practically anything, so long as ytou hold it there while it cools. A hair dryer does the job nicely. And never use hair gell on a wig; it works with oils in our hair that wigs don't have. Make sure you have a wig brush too, hairbrushes turn it into a bit of a nightmare |D

my (m)(s)((n) is chuckalina_@_hotmail_.co_.uk (obviously you take out the _) XD

Wig brush, now there is something I haven't heard of, I have 30 different brushes for all sorts of hair like extensions etc. Dunno if they'll be fine for a wig though. So a hair dryer is best to heat a wig up then I take it.

The hotel is like only over the bridge from the expo I was there in may, I do not like subways at all. I was on the main london underground and I freaked out XD
^^ Princess tutu and Kraehe will be at the expo in October ^^
kittyboo80

Postby Uchiha_Helenaka on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:52 pm

My Misa wig fringe keeps sticking out and it's really bugging me lol. My first expo and my cosplays seem to be falling apart lol Not really, just the wig thing lol
Oct Sonya with Kitana MK9 
Uchiha_Helenaka

Postby Issyrando-mutt on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:39 pm

If I was to go in an invader zim Gir cosplay would it pay to atatch flipflop bases to the souls of my tights? because he doesn't wear shoes.
Birmingham- Lag Seeing
Issyrando-mutt

Postby Uchiha_Helenaka on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Issyrando-mutt wrote:If I was to go in an invader zim Gir cosplay would it pay to atatch flipflop bases to the souls of my tights? because he doesn't wear shoes.

I'd say yes, because then you won't rip your tights and end up walking barefoot with green rags drapped over your toes
Oct Sonya with Kitana MK9 
Uchiha_Helenaka

Postby Black★MalachiteMaker on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:27 pm

My dad has agreeded, so me and my sister are going! >w< i've never been to the London Expo before, and i've never cosplayed either. xD I'm going as Hatsune Miku, and i'm so looking foward to it. ^__^ But i've got a question; I'm 16, but do i need I.D or something like that to prove it, when buying a ticket and going in? :/ (Sorry if its a dumb question xD)
:3
Black★MalachiteMaker

Postby Candy♥Cane on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Hello!
I'm going to the London expo hopefully. It will be my first time though. I was wondering what sort of bag would be appropriate to bring; I'm hoping to buy somethings' but not a great amount. :wink:
Also what age can you buy a ticket by yourself? :?

Thanks so much! :D
Candy♥Cane

Postby shalimar on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Black★MalachiteMaker wrote:But i've got a question; I'm 16, but do i need I.D or something like that to prove it, when buying a ticket and going in? :/ (Sorry if its a dumb question xD)

I don't think you really need any ID. Buying tickets on the day means that you'll be charged as an adult, at £10.
shalimar

Postby Black★MalachiteMaker on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:48 pm

shalimar wrote:
Black★MalachiteMaker wrote:But i've got a question; I'm 16, but do i need I.D or something like that to prove it, when buying a ticket and going in? :/ (Sorry if its a dumb question xD)

I don't think you really need any ID. Buying tickets on the day means that you'll be charged as an adult, at £10.

Oh, i see! ^^ Thank you. ^__^
:3
Black★MalachiteMaker

Postby methos on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:11 pm

It'll be my first year... hell, my first expo ever this time around... really looking forward to it :D

M
methos

Postby Moondoggie on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:45 am

Good idea for a thread. Will be my first year this year, Just wondering about how queues are for things. Is it a good idea to plan my weekend and anything i want to see and make sure i get there early? Is there a cut off point where they don't let anyone else in?
Moondoggie

Postby OptimisticRebel on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 am

Moondoggie wrote:Good idea for a thread. Will be my first year this year, Just wondering about how queues are for things. Is it a good idea to plan my weekend and anything i want to see and make sure i get there early? Is there a cut off point where they don't let anyone else in?

Buy an Advance Early Entry Ticket Online.
It'll get you in before those who buy Early Entry on the day.

This is my first expo, too. But I know people who have been before.
The queues are huge, so unless you wanna wait for over an hour, buy online.
Someone who I know waited 15 minutes with an Advance ticket in May, so get that.

Obviously, you have to plan your transport.
If you're going by train, most of London's National Rail Stations can get you to Custom House within 3 train carriages, so that's 2 stops between A & B

Bring money with you.
From what I hear on these forums, the ATM's have huge queues.

And if you're cosplaying, you need to plan your costume. Get changed before arriving if you can, as there will not be a lot of room, and they will be packed with other people.
OptimisticRebel

Postby Moondoggie on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:36 am

OptimisticRebel wrote:
Moondoggie wrote:Good idea for a thread. Will be my first year this year, Just wondering about how queues are for things. Is it a good idea to plan my weekend and anything i want to see and make sure i get there early? Is there a cut off point where they don't let anyone else in?

Buy an Advance Early Entry Ticket Online.
It'll get you in before those who buy Early Entry on the day.

This is my first expo, too. But I know people who have been before.
The queues are huge, so unless you wanna wait for over an hour, buy online.
Someone who I know waited 15 minutes with an Advance ticket in May, so get that.

Obviously, you have to plan your transport.
If you're going by train, most of London's National Rail Stations can get you to Custom House within 3 train carriages, so that's 2 stops between A & B

Bring money with you.
From what I hear on these forums, the ATM's have huge queues.

And if you're cosplaying, you need to plan your costume. Get changed before arriving if you can, as there will not be a lot of room, and they will be packed with other people.

Thanks for the tips. I have an advance weekend ticket so hopefully that should save me at least some hassle with queues. I'd imagine buying on the day would be a nightmare.
Moondoggie

Postby Adziu on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:20 am

doddy wrote:hi can someone tell me when photoshoots are put on here .. i want to try and get 3 done but not sure if its the same day :?

It's up to the people running each group to put up a time and place in the threads for their shoots. Look for the group you want to be with - the thread should either be in the totally cosplay subforum or in the registered fringe events forum - and see if the first post has the info. If not, ask for it from the group organiser.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Timelord81r on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:15 pm

are photo shoots only available on the day? where abouts do we buy them from? are there usually big queues for the photo shoots?

thanks
Timelord81r

Postby tonythecylon on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Photoshoots are only available on the day and if memory serves are cash only.

The tickets are normally sold from a table right by the section where the 'photos with the stars' takes place.

If you get there early sometimes the times of the photo sessions have yet to be confirmed.

Obviously how may tickets they sell depends on the guests but based on May's event, everyone who wanted a photo ticket got one.

The way this event runs means that autograph collectors have to buy smileys which they exchange for autographs, so as i know you don't normally bother with autos anyway, you should have no problem getting your phototickets straight away without a long queue (apart from the one to get into the event LOL - and all i'll say about that is to be patient!!!)
tonythecylon

Postby JacknDaniel on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Due to hotel costs it's looking like I may have to be arriving Saturday morning and leaving Saturday night. I was hoping to go for the Warehouse 13 cast, and possibly the Eureka cast. I was wondering, what are the chances I will definitely get to meet them, if i'm only there on Saturday. I also hoped to get a photo session with them, if they plan on doing them, but wasn't sure if a photo shoot may only be done on the Sunday or something. Any help would be appreciated. Hope to get coach tickets while they're cheap!
JacknDaniel

Postby tonythecylon on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:16 pm

No guarantees can ever be given but you should have a very good chance of autographs with the W13 and Eureka cast. Normally by the afternoon the queues for autographs die down a bit even for the most popular of guests.

If the cast are there both days (i know the W13 cast are) then they normally do photoshoots both days. These will normally be no earlier than an hour or so after opening time, so as long as you don't turn up too late in the day you should be fine for photos as well.
tonythecylon

Postby JacknDaniel on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:22 pm

That's great, thanks very much. I'll be arriving into London at about 7am so i'll be going for early entry, and i can stay there most of the day, so hopefully i'll be able to get everything i want!
JacknDaniel

Postby tonythecylon on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Yeah thats easily early enough, you'll have no problem meeting all the guests you want, probably all before lunchtime!
tonythecylon

Postby Timelord81r on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:30 pm

be nice if a few more actors were announced, jeez, the show is only a few weeks away, for those who have been at previous expos, are we likely to get more actors? is there usually a minimum approx amount as in numbers of actors? doesnt seem that many at the mo
Timelord81r

Postby Rarewolf on Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:04 pm

I've never been to an Expo, but have been on the site a fair while. I don't think you should be expecting more no. It's not a show thats based around guests - they are a bonus, some are often for publicity purposes (not charging for autos), some are guests other people would love to get and charge money for. It seems to work well for the Expo.
Rarewolf

Postby BlueSky on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Hey ppz :) New to this website and im going to go to my first ever expo in like 2 weeks ^-^ so excited man
^_^ Be Happy !
BlueSky

Postby Flionheart on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Well not my first Expo, but my first alone I think :( And my first cosplaying ; ; I hope I don't get too lonely :(
Flionheart

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT