Is this even legal MIKE TOWERS?

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories. Dont forget to visit the main website at http://www.londonexpo.com for updates also

Is this even legal MIKE TOWERS?

Postby Yatak on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:35 am

So i was looking through my messages on myfacebooktwit and saw this message warning me of last chance to prepay for expo. i thought huh? and looked inside, to my dissapointment it was sent by a Micheal Towers about a different con completely... now what im wondering is if mr Towers is breaking any copyright laws by using Mcm expos name to advertise his events without their consent. (he has sent me 2 messages which make it look like they are about MCM expo...)

Yatak

Re: Is this even legal?

Postby PandoraCaitiff on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:12 am

My psychic powers tell me that an admin or mod will appear soon and suggest you email the event organisers rather than posting here. :wink:

Dunno about legal, its certainly actionable. Expo have a brand identity to protect.

Doesn't seem out of character for fAiL though.
Pugna vox
PandoraCaitiff

Postby Admin-2 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:56 am

Hmmmm someone seems to be desperate :lol:
London MCM Expo - Admin~2
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:09 am

Thank you for highlighting this matter to us we appreciate it.

We have been emailed by other people who feel that he has tried to trade off the back of Expo which of course we neither allow or appreciate in relation to him or anyone else.

We have nothing and never have had anything what so ever to do with Michael (Mike) Towers and would not wish to be associated with him either now or in the future for many reasons which we will not go into.

We have already contacted the Creator of the group that has allowed Michael Towers to send this message out to let them know we do not in anyway appreciate being associated with Michael Towers or for the misleading way the message has been protrayed and allowed to be construde by the readers and to be honest why on earth would he want to join a group that is to do with Expo when he has nothing but contempt for it other than the chance to mail shot people to further him!

We have stayed neutral up until now with regards to Michael (Mike) Towers but feel that we have no option but to answer this post.

We have no problem with members of the club he is associated with and welcome them at the Expo events but his underhand practices both in the past and ongoing will no longer be tollerated.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Granny Gertrude on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:38 am

My understanding of direct marketing laws suggest that they have been bent if not broken outright.
Joe 'Granny Gertrude' Sutton
Cosplay @ Expo
www.facebook.com/grannygertrude
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby alicedragon on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Admin-2 wrote:Hmmmm someone seems to be desperate :lol:

You're now my favourite admin.

I usually get the 3 messages a day from him.
Plus stuff on dA.

Does anyone actually go to his events?
alicedragon

Postby Briggsja on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:28 pm

Look at his event members list, 80% are double, triple or more bookings and only 5% have been paid for...
Briggsja

Re: Is this even legal MIKE TOWERS?

Postby Yatak on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Le us try to not get this thread locked due to personal attacks though =] i want this p as long as possible to show people how underhanded and pathetic he has to be to try and get people to look at his events...

On the side of legality, it can definatly be seen as misrepresentation as what people think they would be signing up for there would be mcm expo (due to the title and pictures used) but they are actually for something else.)
Yatak

Postby Tonyo on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:35 am

Ohhhh Lord. Just when things couldn't get any worse. Mind you, it could do if he changes the name to Anime Premiership and puts all the little groups he uses into lower divisions.. ohhhhh dear! :D
Tonyo

Postby RanmaSyaoranSaotome on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:21 pm

I'm just looking forward to find out what his "massive announcement from a famous company" is...

Could it be something along the lines of: "MCM EXPO SUES MIKE TOWERS"?

;D
RanmaSyaoranSaotome

Postby animefan on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:23 pm

in B4 AL send over minions

Briggsja wrote:Look at his event members list, 80% are double, triple or more bookings and only 5% have been paid for...

This is true

ImageImage

I'm thinking businness has maybe become a little slow
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby xaerael on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 am

HEY, THEY HAVE A MASQUERADE! ISN'T THAT EVENT STEALING??!11!1!!!

/snark.

komrade mikheil towerski once again demonstrating that his events are sinking faster than a sealiner made of toilet paper, and rather than go down with his ship, he's trying to paint it a different colour. this is pretty epic underhandedness. i strongly hope that, if legal intervention is possible, MCM strike swiftly and without mercy. i think it's got to the stage where he needs to spend some time explaining himself and his sales tactics to the legal system.
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
xaerael

Postby NekoShuffleJump! on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:58 am

He seems terribly misguided! Hope he finds the right path soon enough!

I too have somehow added him on facebook and I never hear the end of the end of his events! I'm sure he's just trying to get followers but sometimes in advertising less is more! Sad to say but maybe a bit of legal pressure will steer him cleer of doing anything dangerous before things get all Phoenix Wright!
HELP XD
NekoShuffleJump!

Postby Granny Gertrude on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:12 am

I'm not aware of grounds for a lawsuit from MCM regarding this. The issues revolve around direct marketing related laws such as the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations.

The Information Commissioner issued a statement within the last fortnight concerning organisations using social media in an improper fashion, such as failure to get permission for marketing material, having investigated compliance in using Facebook and Twitter recently.
Joe 'Granny Gertrude' Sutton
Cosplay @ Expo
www.facebook.com/grannygertrude
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Postby animefan on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:39 am

Granny Gertrude wrote:I'm not aware of grounds for a lawsuit from MCM regarding this. The issues revolve around direct marketing related laws such as the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations.

That depends I thought Trademark law covered this, depending on if expo has a trademark, etc etc I really don't know personally i'm not a lawyer after all.

Also these posts on the AL forums seems worthwhile to bring up?

Freesaiyan wrote:
Random AL member wrote:Sometimes I'm going through forums, Facebook groups etc. of various UK-based events and I just can't believe the amount of threads that decend into talking . about the head honcho of this site. Seems like a waste of the Internet, don't they have anything better to do?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: No, they really don't. :P

This is the problem Mike doesn't seem to comprehend why people are talking . about him, he doesn't seem to find any fault in spaming each same person 4-5 times a day on a mass scale, attempting to move and take over every event ranging from meets to cons and put them under the AL banner and generally mess people about such the drama coming out of East Anglia right now, he put any social scene for anime fans there back 3 years at least, this is all in my opinion of course!

Maybe if Mike understood why people are annoyed and attempted to sort it all out maybe people would, dare I say it, like him?
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby xaerael on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:08 pm

problem is, MT's incapable of admitting he's wrong. he's the lord of anime fans in the uk, and he can do no wrong because his word is law.

the truth of the matter is even people who go to his event hold him in less than favourable regard, and hope on a daily basis that someone will replace him.

[edit]

also, two things that seriously annoy me:

"six of the best artists around". wow, six of the best huh? they must be working for some amazing design companies or something.

"cosplay stars Q&A, learn from the best". no offence mike... but if you're reading this.... who?
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
xaerael

Postby Adziu on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Well, since Admin are posting on this thread, I'll leave it up to them whether to lock, delete, move etc.

To be fair, though, he should never have been allowed to send this message out through this channel. You can't pursue someone if they've asked for permission to do something and been given it. I've never been overly annoyed by this guy's shenannigans, but wow, I've heard a lot of anger directed at him.

Then again, I speak as someone who has very successfully managed to avoid Mr Towers and only ever given him very cursory responses. He doesn't spam me. Hoorah!
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby animefan on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:02 pm

*Self Removed*
Last edited by animefan on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby Nessie-chan on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:35 pm

Now that its effecting one of the biggest sci and anime related events in the UK, I hope Mr Towers gets the law smacked down on him with the most possible HP damage a single organisation can possibly do.

I mean, come on. He's been doing this for a good few years. Surely now is the time to act?
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby NekoShuffleJump! on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:07 am

I think what's sadder is that nobody is even falling for it! That's got to sting!!
HELP XD
NekoShuffleJump!

Postby Nessie-chan on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:19 am

NekoShuffleJump! wrote:I think what's sadder is that nobody is even falling for it! That's got to sting!!

But the thing is... people ARE falling for it... those who are not aware.

Its up to the bigger organisations to stamp out weeds like Towers. Expo certainly have the clout. If they find it within their powers to do so, I will watch with excitement.

And I hope it will be done publically xD
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby Adziu on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:28 am

Falling for what?
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Raymatt Havoc on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:29 am

Adziu wrote:Falling for what?

Mistaking his event for MCM run events.
O o
Raymatt Havoc

Postby NekoShuffleJump! on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:44 am

falling for my manly charm 8D

Ohh yeahhh!!!
HELP XD
NekoShuffleJump!

Postby Adziu on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:16 am

Raymatt Havoc wrote:

Mistaking his event for MCM run events.

He DID start out by stating that he was only being allowed to post something via that channel, though, right? That makes it pretty clear it's coming from outside the main channel of announcements.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Next

Return to GENERAL CHAT