Anyone got any suggestions re: STILTS?

TOTALLY COSPLAY an area of the event that is completly dedicated to Cosplay and Cosplayers, with it's own dedicated stage, workshops, panels and more!

A dream come true for all Cosplayers.

Discuss the UK's largest Masquerade event which takes place both days during the London MCM Expo.

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

Anyone got any suggestions re: STILTS?

Postby Gutter on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:26 pm

I've persuaded a friend to come to Expo in Oct, and I even managed to talk him into cosplaying...but there's a catch.

He'd be cosplaying as Slender Man, and...well, Slender Man is tall.
And my friend is lazy.
So he said "I'll do it, if YOU figure out how to make me some stilts I can walk on safely and easily."
And I said "D:"

So we figured out that we could lengthen his arms by using those clippy grabber things (you can get sharks and crocodiles and just plain grabby ones I guess), but as for stilts...well, I don't know where to even start.

So...anyone else know what I should do?
Gutter

Re: Anyone got any suggestions re: STILTS?

Postby animefan on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Gutter wrote:So...anyone else know what I should do?

Tell your friend to get off his . and do it himself!
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby Gutter on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Hahaha, as much as that wold be amusing, I'm actually totally looking forward to making his cosplay for him...besides, he'd say he was gonna, and then forget, so...yeah.
He's the kind of guy who borrows a Gundam Wing boxset and doesn't return it for half a year - and doesn't even watch it.
Gutter

Postby Gutter on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:46 am

I hate to bump, but...I still need help with this...
Gutter

Postby Destinova on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:32 pm

There are some good guides on Google for how to make them however, before starting this you should really contact one of the organisers about using them as there are bound to be restrictions of height and there is a possibility they won't be allowed for health and safety reasons.

In terms of actually using stilts there is the whole getting used to walking on them part, believe me its not as easy as it may look and you MUST seek someone who can teach you how to do it and it is NEVER a good idea to practise by yourself as that never ends well :s Also for general safety reasons knee and elbow pads are a must as it really does hurt to fall off without them (I used to do circus skills a lot so I know from experience lol).
Destinova

Postby Gutter on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks for the advice, Destinova.

Yeah, I obvs don't want him to be too tall, not only because of Health and Safety issues and stuff, but also because he'd probably freak out being too tall. c:
Not to mention I'd freak out.

I hadn't thought of knee/elbow pads! That's really important, so I'm glad you mentioned it.
Gutter

Postby Destinova on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Gutter wrote:Thanks for the advice, Destinova.

Yeah, I obvs don't want him to be too tall, not only because of Health and Safety issues and stuff, but also because he'd probably freak out being too tall. c:
Not to mention I'd freak out.

I hadn't thought of knee/elbow pads! That's really important, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

No problem ^^

I'm sure if they're not too tall you might be ok but its always best to get 2nd opinion, your best bet is to ask Granny Gertrude as he'd have all the info you'd need =D

If you do get the go ahead i'd suggest looking at http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~rfs1/juggle/stilts.html as it seems like a good guide to use =)
Destinova

Postby littlefoxx on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:46 am

At the May Expo, my group had an undead carnevil and we had a guy on stilts. He was around 7 foot tall, and although difficult, managed to walk around the expo the whole day. He had on those kangaroo stilt things. I cant remember the exact name, but there wasnt any problems by security or staff.
Zombie Belle
+Co-Founder of Undead Cosplay+
littlefoxx

Return to TOTALLY COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO