Mcm party in may?

This is the place to discuss the London MCM Expo Saturday night Party

Re: Mcm party in may?

Postby BisonisnotVega on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Most of the guys hung about on the other half of the bar which was open for people who weren't in the party
hell we even hung with GRANNY G there.
the songs being played were perfectly alright bar one or two pop songs. People really need to stop with the whole RAPANESE SONGS ONRY PRZ.
Fix your security. i watched as people climbed in and out of the party via a back couch.
You're the man, Will. You're the man. I'm just the man behind the man.
BisonisnotVega

Postby Raikujaku on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Yamakaze'd wrote:The first party was just JPop and Jrock. Never again. By the end of it, I was going JCrazy.

I second this.

Although the May expo was my first expo, I wouldn't enjoy a fully J-music party as much. Sure, I do listen to J-music, but there is a lot of English music I like. Actually, about 90% of my music is English. A good balance between the two is essential I think, and the party did it well. Not everybody at the expo is a J-music fanatic.

I did enjoy the party, even though I couldn't stay all night. My only issues was the cost of drinks, which I know is hard for the expo organisers to negotiate since it is held at a hotel. Seriously... £5.95 for a half-pint of Malibu and coke? I'm really fussy with alchohol too, which doesn't help with finding a possible cheaper solution asside from not drinking. Needless to say, that one glass was all I drank.

The party was good fun though! The great big conga train going around the middle of the room was so much fun!
Raikujaku

Postby Demonique on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:48 pm

kitty_yachiru wrote:as already said, its not just anime fans that go to MCM, its movie, comic, media expo?
so alot of sci-fi fans and film fans go there?
would be a laugh if some proper nerdy music got played, or the star wars soundtrack got played XD

There's quite a few sci-fi themed songs, Star Trekkin' springs to mind

And then there's, LOL, the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins as sung by Leonard Nimoy
Demonique

Postby JaxSax on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:03 pm

I thought why not bring your own music if you want, or get a request list of songs and genres and then have a poll on the website which music genre and which songs is most liked.
JaxSax

Postby BlueNutmeg on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Whatever music you put on some people are going to like it and some people are going to hate it. Therefore put on a mix of things then at one point or another hopefully everyone will be happy. ^^

P.S what did everyone wear was it cosplay or party clothes? Where was it held? What did it look like? What drink/food were there? When did it end, when did it start for that matter? I'm really curious...
Sat-Draugr
Sun-Fem.Scout
BlueNutmeg

Postby Raikujaku on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:06 pm

BlueNutmeg wrote:Whatever music you put on some people are going to like it and some people are going to hate it. Therefore put on a mix of things then at one point or another hopefully everyone will be happy. ^^

P.S what did everyone wear was it cosplay or party clothes? Where was it held? What did it look like? What drink/food were there? When did it end, when did it start for that matter? I'm really curious...

It started at 7:30 (I believe) at the Novotel, and it probably ended around midnight (I can't remember as I had to leave a little earlier). Most people (if not everyone) was in cosplay, and it was just about big enough for the amount of people there. There wasn't food, but it was held by a bar, so there was a variety of drinks. The only issue with the drinks is the aforementioned price of them, where, depending exactly on what you were drinking, the price could be around £5-£6. The bar itself looked rather stylish, and since it was a hotel, it wasn't specially decorated for the event.

Basically, just picture a reasonable-sized hotel bar split in two sections, an small area towards the end of the party area where the DJ/band is, the serving bar along one side, a few seats dotted around the outside and a few central ones, and you kind of get the picture.
Raikujaku

Postby FruitieRoxxi on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Raikujaku wrote:
BlueNutmeg wrote:

It started at 7:30 (I believe) at the Novotel, and it probably ended around midnight (I can't remember as I had to leave a little earlier). Most people (if not everyone) was in cosplay, and it was just about big enough for the amount of people there. There wasn't food, but it was held by a bar, so there was a variety of drinks. The only issue with the drinks is the aforementioned price of them, where, depending exactly on what you were drinking, the price could be around £5-£6. The bar itself looked rather stylish, and since it was a hotel, it wasn't specially decorated for the event.

Basically, just picture a reasonable-sized hotel bar split in two sections, an small area towards the end of the party area where the DJ/band is, the serving bar along one side, a few seats dotted around the outside and a few central ones, and you kind of get the picture.

When its finished do people normally carry on drinking at the bar, or the other hotels? cause i don't fancy an early night. in may i went for a meal and passed on out red wine so i wanna make the most of it haha. is it worth going to that or just drinking in bars? are there quite a few expo people around, il be spending 2 nights at the ibis i think (sorry about all the questions :p)
FruitieRoxxi

Postby BlueNutmeg on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:38 am

Unfortunately I cant stay overnight anymore so I wont be able to go to the party. But hopefully there will be one next year (?) and if there is im going for sure. :)
Sat-Draugr
Sun-Fem.Scout
BlueNutmeg

Postby Ikkaku_Madarame on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:52 am

i didnt go to the Novotel Party in may because it slippy my mind entirely xD but i will be in oct reguardless of cost or liver...
The cost of drinks i agree its expensive but theirs a strong chance i wouldve drank myself into a party stupour before 7:30...

in answer to questions ... my group of friends usually go hang out at the PTI bar (we usually stay there.. but not in oct) until the early morning but they chuck people out after midnight.

Music is a matter of taste and without being biased to the populous its pretty improbbable that the organisers can get it completely right.. so write out a playlist or 20 and siphon them down to a varied entertainment..ish.
If cost of drinks are an un-winnable problem with the hotel maybe a change of venue is in order, though not knowing the area im not sure if this is possible or not.
i remember my first party at Custom house after the Japanex a few years back.. that was fun, cheap, and well located :)

reguardless, i watch this section of the forums with great anticipation.

@ Organisers :-: im glad this idea hasnt just phased out and your taking 'debugging' it thouroughly(sp) to heart. its how all the great stuff happens >8P and im sure your getting close 8D. Thankyou for your efforts.
I work best when im cheap 8-)
Ikkaku_Madarame

Postby gothikAmie on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:02 pm

I've been to the MCM Expo Party every time I've been to an Expo so far. That's last May 2009, October and this May just gone. Always make an effort for it as it's generally a pleasant atmosphere to be in! (or at least I think so)

I do have to say that I think in the three times that I've attended personally, the music has improved every time. First time I went it was majorly Anime music (which I'm not too fond of not being the hugest anime fan/ being unable to understand a word of Japanese!) and whilst it didn't ruin the night made us feel a little left out! O.o Compared to last May there has been a drastic improvement in the way of mixing the genres- yay!

However (am going to repeat all thats been said I think!) drinks prices seem to go up every time we're there, a happy medium has to be obtained here as surely if the drinks were cheaper we'd all buy more of them! Also I dislike the use of the partition between the "Party" half of the bar and the General Public. Whilst I understand that Novotel has to cater to it's paying guests, people not involved in the party at all could easily "slip by" the bar-end of the partition and it's not exactly like they couldn't hear the music from the other side either. Also, I recall a rather nasty event last May (2009) when a friend of mine got accused of pushing said partition by an angry guest on the other side (whose little son had smacked a hole in the partition further down, but moving on). It nearly resulted in a fight which was totally not cool. I've never stayed at Novotel so I wouldn't know, but don't they have a function room available rather than trying to split their bar into two things?

*shrug* Dunno it might solve a major bug-bear that I can see with security, and also space. In Oct 2009 and May just gone, there has been live entertainment too - again a great thing! but the already-minute dance floor space was halved again.....

Here's to making the next MCM Party as good as (or even better than) the last one!
gothikAmie

Postby Pink Faerie Linzi on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Kisuke Urahara wrote:Play songs people can dance to, put on California gurus by Katy Perry and i would strap tins of whipped cream to my tits.

I second this!!! I will wear cupcake underwear to pay homage to Snoop's fantastic cupcake suit and u can do katy and cream me up :D :D :D

(these comments alone may cause us to be removed from the party lol :P )

And tbh i heard the drink prices were expensive, thats why i just took my own alcohol with me and drank it as discreetly as possible lol.
Pink Faerie Linzi

Postby zeon435 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:38 pm

I do agree with you there amiee. in my defense you had to be there to find it funny :) aaaaa first expo first near fight experience with a complete stranger aaaaa what more can i ask for. XD but it was an amazing night and every Party since then has got better and better, You meet great people every-time you go there... well i have anyway :) so i say go to it just for the LOL's :)
zeon435

Postby Ozzie on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:08 pm

If there is a chance of hearing N-Trance - Set you free with the obligitory follow up of Rhythm is a dancer then I'm game for this. I think the image of several cosplayers with their arms up in the air shouting, 'WHEN I HOLD YOU BAYYYYYYAYAYBAYYYYYY...etc' is something I can't let myself miss.
Ozzie

Postby raspberry on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:10 pm

As long as they don't play Justin Bieber, I'll be more than pleased.
So this is at Novotel, yeah? Is there a price to get in?
raspberry

Postby diphenhydramine on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:03 pm

raspberry wrote:As long as they don't play Justin Bieber, I'll be more than pleased.

You book tickets in advance, they're normally £6 from what I remember
diphenhydramine

Postby raspberry on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:23 am

diphenhydramine wrote:
raspberry wrote:As long as they don't play Justin Bieber, I'll be more than pleased.

Oka thanks :D Where from? And is there an age you has to be?
raspberry

Postby anakha on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:37 am

raspberry wrote:
diphenhydramine wrote:

Oka thanks :D Where from? And is there an age you has to be?

£7

https://www.mcmexpogroup.com/store/inde ... cts_id=129

but they accept 15's if accompanied by an adult (who will take full responsibility for them)
anakha

Postby raspberry on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm 15 so I'll just get in with some older friends or something, they're responsible adults, right?
raspberry

Postby anakha on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:49 pm

raspberry wrote:I'm 15 so I'll just get in with some older friends or something, they're responsible adults, right?

If you want i'll be your responsible adult.
after all i am 19 :)
anakha

Postby raspberry on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:54 pm

anakha wrote:
raspberry wrote:I'm 15 so I'll just get in with some older friends or something, they're responsible adults, right?

That'd be awesome, thanks :)
Do you have to buy in advance, or can you buy on the door? But not the door...
raspberry

Postby anakha on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:05 pm

raspberry wrote:
anakha wrote:

advance tickets only :/
anakha

Postby raspberry on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:06 pm

after all i am 19 :)[/quote]
Do you have to buy in advance, or can you buy on the door? But not the door...[/quote]

advance tickets only :/[/quote]
Ah I see... Are they all gone now? :] I just wasn't sure if it was an over 18 event etc so I didn't wanna book em in advance to be turned down...
raspberry

Postby anakha on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:26 pm

raspberry wrote:If you want i'll be your responsible adult.

Do you have to buy in advance, or can you buy on the door? But not the door...[/quote]

Ah I see... Are they all gone now? :] I just wasn't sure if it was an over 18 event etc so I didn't wanna book em in advance to be turned down...[/quote]

im not sure there may be some still available...only one way to find out XD
anakha

Postby raspberry on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:33 pm

anakha wrote:
raspberry wrote:If you want i'll be your responsible adult.

Ah I see... Are they all gone now? :] I just wasn't sure if it was an over 18 event etc so I didn't wanna book em in advance to be turned down...[/quote]

im not sure there may be some still available...only one way to find out XD[/quote]
Indeed, shall have a look tomorrow :)
raspberry

PreviousNext

Return to MCM EXPO SATURDAY NIGHT PARTY