One Piece - Thriller Bark! - *SUNDAY* (Registered)

This is the place to get information on the many fan run organised activities that take place at Expo over the weekend.

This is also the place to find information on what Expo organised MCM FRINGE FESTIVAL activities will be taking place, more information can found at: http://www.londonexpo.com/show_features ... ringe.html

Re: One Piece - Thriller Bark! - *SUNDAY*

Postby Newtilator on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:42 pm

diphenhydramine wrote:
Newtilator wrote:Hello, I'm going to attempt my first cosplay as Sanji, hopefully Thriller Bark. The main part thats troubling me is the hair. I will need a wig, but I have never used one before. Does anybody have any advice on where to buy them, wig care and use etc? I would appreciate any advice, as I am totally inept at this kind of thing.

When it comes to wigs, you've got 3 primary options - buy a pre-styled character wig from ebay or a cosplay website, buy a base wig and style it yourself, or pay a commissioner to style one for you. Of these, styling it yourself is the cheapest option, if you feel confident about styling it.

I've never bought a pre-styled character wig so I'm afraid I can't vouch for good places to get them, and what their quality is usually like. But I will say that since Sanji has a relatively simple hairstyle, the character wigs I've seen of him are nothing more than a base wig with the fringe styled a bit, so I don't think they're particularly worth the extra money.

Final option is to get a wig commissioned. There are professional cosplay wig commissioners, as well as cosplayers who want to make a little extra cash. This will in general cost whatever the base wig does, plus however much the person charges for their styling ability, which will naturally vary depending on who styles it.

How much are you looking to spend? That way I'll know what to recommend :D

As far as wig care goes, wigs themselves generally come in plastic sealable bags. Polystyrene wig heads are available cheaply and are the best way to store a wig when at a convention, as they will keep the style in place. If you have hair more than about an inch long then a wig cap should be used to keep all the hair on top of your head under the wig.

Well, I would say my upper price limit is twenty pounds. I would guess that my wig styling skills are not top notch, and I wouldn't want to ruin a wig... What would you reccomend? Thanks for the advice.
Newtilator

Postby diphenhydramine on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Newtilator wrote:Well, I would say my upper price limit is twenty pounds. I would guess that my wig styling skills are not top notch, and I wouldn't want to ruin a wig... What would you reccomend? Thanks for the advice.

Ok, thankfully with Sanji, his hair is really simple, and a lot of wigs come in a similar style as it is. To make the style hold better, give it a spray with some medium to strong hold hairspray and a quick blast with a hairdryer, not too much otherwise it'll go stiff, but just enough to prevent it flying out of shape. Apart from that, none of these should need really much work, apart from positioning the fringe on the right side of the face (:

I'd recommend this wig. CosplayDNA sell very good quality wigs, nice and thick as well as soft. And within your price range too :D

CosplayDNA: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pecan-Yellow-Blonde-Stylable-Short-Cosplay-Wig-73016-/150484220006?pt=AU_Women_Accessories#ht_2961wt_1139
diphenhydramine

Postby Newtilator on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Thank you very much, I will probably order that wig soon. Last question, how long would you expect a wig like this from china to be delivered? I'd like to know how soon I have to order.
Newtilator

Postby diphenhydramine on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Newtilator wrote:Thank you very much, I will probably order that wig soon. Last question, how long would you expect a wig like this from china to be delivered? I'd like to know how soon I have to order.

Says on their shipping and tracking page:

"Standard shipping time is approximately 2-4 weeks (10-28 days). We will always notify our customers after the wigs have been shipped so please only contact us with shipping related questions after 4 weeks
has passed."
diphenhydramine

Postby Newtilator on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Ah ok, I didn't see that. Thank you for all your help. Hopefully Expo preperation can keep me busy through this One piece-less week...
Newtilator

Postby diphenhydramine on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Newtilator wrote:Ah ok, I didn't see that. Thank you for all your help. Hopefully Expo preperation can keep me busy through this One piece-less week...

I think you mean the next 4 one piece-less weeks :C
diphenhydramine

Postby Newtilator on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:30 am

That I did... :(
'tis a sad month for all. Except Oda, because he gets to see his family, of course.
Newtilator

Postby WiggyDee on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:41 pm

MelancholicNinja wrote:
WiggyDee wrote:MelancholicNinja, Dats cool, I was Bepo last time when there wasn't any Laws, WHERE WERE YOU THEN D:

This'll be my first time as Law :D Before, I was one of the many Clouds. And it's the first time that I'm making the costume myself :S but hopefully it'll be great ^.^ I've done a lot of it but I'm not sure how I'm gonna do the sword, you got any tips?

My friend did a good Trafalgar Law at last years may expo, I think that to do the sword he mainly just bought a basic looking Katana and took the same material from the hat and attached it to the hilt, as well as paint the basic colours on the rest of it. Looked pretty good in the end, what colour you going to make your hair? A lot of people go with black but its actually meant to be blue O:
Last edited by WiggyDee on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiggyDee

Postby MelancholicNinja on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:58 am

WiggyDee wrote:My friend did a good Trafalgar Law at last years may expo, I think that to do the sword he mainly just bought a basic looking Katana and took the same material from the hat and attached it to the hilt, as well as paint the basic colours on the rest of it. Looked pretty good in the end, what colour you going to make your hair? A lot of people go with black but its actually meant to be blue O:

Ahh okay better start looking for bokken then :D . Oh really? I thought it looked black in the anime pics, my hair is a really dark brown so I was going to leave it but dying it sounds fun too, do you have a pic of the blue that I'd need? :)
MelancholicNinja

Postby WiggyDee on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:52 pm

This is the only coloured drawing of Law that Oda has ever done as far as I'm aware. It's up to you whether you want to stick with the black hair or go with the blue, if you want to stand out from other Law cosplays I say go with the blue, and maybe even the brown spots on his hat rather than black.

Also it seems that in the recent chapters the tattoos on his fingers have changed from 'DETH' to 'DEATH'. (Bottom right panel: http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/55562012/3). Also I think that's like, the only picture of Law that includes his feet ever. Shoes like that can be bought pretty inexpensively from Shoe Zone.
WiggyDee

Postby MelancholicNinja on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:45 pm

That's a pretty cool pic of him, I think I will dye it now :) I've already done the hat, but I did the spots in black with brown around the edges to highlight it so maybe I can be a cross between the manga and anime versions :lol: I think I would write 'death' 'cause it looks like Oda just made a mistake ^.^ I read the whole Sabaodi archipelago again to get a look at his shoes and I couldn't find it so thanks for finding that!
MelancholicNinja

Postby Battler-Ushiromiya99 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:15 am

WiggyDee wrote:CATCHY UPPY TIME

Yes Battler-Ushiromiya99, you may come!

KajiDaigoji, what the what. No. I can not allow this.

Scorchgid, going as the same cosplay as Diphenydramine, not the best idea as you'll probably look a bit tame in comparison but you may do as you wish O:

Berserk, Do you want me to post info about the friday/ saturday group here as well at all? I know noooothing about whats going on on those days. Don't even think I'll be cosplaying for them at this rate since Ryuumas face paint will be stupid effort for more than one day. Also I have not seen Strong World as I AM SAVING MYSELF FOR THE BLU-RAY VERSION YEAAAH.

Yamakaze'd, you know I've been meaning to ask you this for a while, but just where the hell is the Facebook group? I've looked for it in the past, even through your profile and it's been slim pickin's.

Kittz, I'll add dem peoplez to da list, welcome!

Battler-Ushiromiya99, I shall make the alteration! Okay I actually haven't put you in yet since I'm still typing this wall of text but you are now a Shanks.

Diphenhydramine, Your hat making skills are improving.

Scorchgid, I shall quote myself.

you'll probably look a bit tame in comparison but you may do as you wish O:

IT BEGINS.

MelancholicNinja, Dats cool, I was Bepo last time when there wasn't any Laws, WHERE WERE YOU THEN D:

Thanks you :D lol well I be geting the cosplay soon or later just need to see if their a cheap long red hair wig so my mum can cut it into shanks style xD and ta da!! am shanks xD
Battler-Ushiromiya99

Postby pocoyo on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Hey All.

I dont know if i will be doing a one piece cosplay in Oct :cry:

Anyway i know this is very late but i promised Yamakaze'd that i would photoshop a pic that we took in May Expo.

Here is the link for it!

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/ ... 2xkjy2.jpg
pocoyo

Postby Berserk667 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 am

pocoyo wrote:Hey All.

Anyway i know this is very late but i promised Yamakaze'd that i would photoshop a pic that we took in May Expo.

Here is the link for it!

lol love it
Berserk667

Postby Gemma27 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 am

pocoyo wrote:Hey All.

Here is the link for it!

OMG! EPIC :D
May '11
Sat & Sun - Shiba Kuukaku, Bleach
Gemma27

Postby BirthdayBeyond on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Hey guys, this is me and my mate's first convention and 2 of us are going as One Piece characters. My friend will be there as SANJI and I will be there as BROOK!!! YOHOHOHOHO!
BirthdayBeyond

Postby Battler-Ushiromiya99 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 am

BirthdayBeyond wrote:Hey guys, this is me and my mate's first convention and 2 of us are going as One Piece characters. My friend will be there as SANJI and I will be there as BROOK!!! YOHOHOHOHO!

Brook is very epic :D lol
Battler-Ushiromiya99

Re: One Piece - Thriller Bark! - *SUNDAY* (Registered)

Postby diphenhydramine on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Hope everyone still finds the thread now it's crawled into the Fringe forum! And welcome on board Brook 8D
diphenhydramine

Postby BirthdayBeyond on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 pm

diphenhydramine wrote:Hope everyone still finds the thread now it's crawled into the Fringe forum! And welcome on board Brook 8D

Thanks - this is me and my mates' first convention/cosplay so what goes on, and what are us One Piece...ians up to.
BirthdayBeyond

Postby WiggyDee on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:07 am

Ayyyy we're in the Fringe now, how official. 8)

Right-o, welcome to the group BirthdayBeyond, we needed a Brook for the sunday. Also I deem your friend the temporary name of 'Big Jim' for organisational purposes on the first post, because I find making a list of unnamed people so uncharacteristic.
WiggyDee

Postby alucard21 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:50 pm

hey guyz,
Might have to bring my classic zoro along for this, how how about i just rip up a white t-shirt, get some blood etc and do damaged zoro after he fights kuma. lol
Im doing Strong world Zoro at some point aswell, would he do? save me bringing extra zoro clothes lol.

If i'd know bout this earlier (my own fault for not being on the forums much :cry: ) id have loved to make a ryuma costume. Oh well maybe for another time :)
10chars???
alucard21

Postby Yamakaze'd on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:03 am

That pic provided me with much mirth.

Akainu bits have been ordered. Good times.
Oct Expo: Akainu, Toad, Seamus
Yamakaze'd

Postby diphenhydramine on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Ordered Thrillersopp's wig and some parts for his bag! And enquired about use of the woodworks room at my uni, should find out next week.
diphenhydramine

Postby redeyesblackdragon on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 pm

=O all the cosplayers for this are dressing up so ^_^ cool this year =[ im kinda feelin sad that i did my one piece cosplay in may now =/
redeyesblackdragon

Postby redeyesblackdragon on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Battler-Ushiromiya99 wrote:I got change of plan guys D: am going to cosplay as shanks this october because I wont be as cold xD

^_^ woooo a shanks cosplayer ^_^ i may have to come find you guys in my redeyes black dragon costume ^_^ and take pics ^_^ plus the way my brothers costume is goin i may have a luffy with me as his organisation 13 outfit so far AINT happening much to his dismay XD
redeyesblackdragon

PreviousNext

Return to MCM FRINGE ACTIVITIES FESTIVAL @ EXPO