Guest Suggestions

Discuss MEMORABILIA @ the NEC Birmingham, this is also where guests are announced and discussed. Don't forget to visit the main MEMORABILIA site also http://www.memorabilia.co.uk/birmingham

Re: Guest Suggestions

Postby kitkatboy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:15 pm

friday the 13th
betsy palmer
adrienne king
robbi morgan

danielle harris - halloween 4 and 5
roddy piper - wwf - they live
bill moseley - house of a 1000 corpses
lance henriksen - aliens
tom atkins - the fog and halloween 3
kitkatboy

Postby andini on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:22 am

Homicide & Lee, totally agree with you both. I'm a horror fan under 40 and have little interest in guests from the 60s / early 70s.
andini

Postby matt7984 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Agree with what others are saying about lack of bigger names. I've only attended memorabilia twice - Being a huge 'Rocky' fan I went to meet Tommy Morrison of 'Rocky V', and the second time to meet William Forsythe and John Saxon. Be great to see a few bigger film names announced.
matt7984

Postby whome3000 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:31 pm

The faces from yesteryear are normally brought by various charities as they know that people will come and see them and bring in revenue for the relevant charity.

The stars from the 60/70's most if not all of the ones currently listed where the 'main' star or co-star of the relevant sit-com/movie/tv show/etc..... and they do normally bring in quite a few people that would not go at all to see sport's 'stars' that a lot of people have not heard of in this country if you do not have Sky TV or if they do not follow UK sports in general.

BUT - it's what ever people what to see and each to their own - as some people will really love to meet their childhood TV friends..... and others will not be intrested because they are to young to have heard of those shows.

Also love all the references to 'UK Gold' - UK Gold has not existed for a very long time...... your showing your age now ;)
whome3000

Postby whome3000 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Yes it would be nice to see some of current 'stars' of the moment but it's down to who they can get as some will not go anywhere other than London. Also others charge far to much for apperances if they are the 'current' flavour of the month.

But it would be good if they could get more of the Torchwood Cast for the NEC event, including S1 to S4 cast. As I know that John Barrowman is busy on various project but it would be good if he could turn up.
whome3000

Postby NeoJonz on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:39 pm

I think the organisers would like nothing more than to fill all the signing positions with A-listers and the like, think how big the crowds they would bring in.

But you need to understand that a lot of the 'current' stars are generally current stars because they are busy working on the very programs and films that mean that they are currently in the public eye. Hence they do not have the time to be able to attend, especially those who would have to jet across the world to attend.

The other problem is costs. Bigger stars charge bigger fees to make their appearance, and also charge more for their autographs. Back last year when I made a guest suggestion that Mark Hammil would be a great guest (not only for Luke Skywalker but also for his amazing voice work as Joker, etc.) someone agreed that it would be nice to see him, however he was charging over £80 per autograph at another event that he had been brought into. (That is not including the charge that the organisers would of needed to pay to get him to appear in the first place).

The only way I could see them bringing in the bigger name stars is to either increase the event entrance fee and/or reduce the amount of guests. The benefit of having a large variety of guests is that you tend to get people who have been in several different genres.

I myself am more than happy meeting the old British stars, yes it would be nice to meet some more 'big' names - but in these tough economic climes I think that the organisers are doing an amazing job putting the show together as it is.

People are entitled to their opinions, and are welcome to hold out for an appearance of their own personal 'perfect' guest. But I am not letting something like that ruin an enjoyable weekend for me.

It's like Lincoln said 'You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.'
NeoJonz

Postby firefly827347 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Well said, NeoJonz. That's pretty much everything I was going to say!
firefly827347

Postby Rarewolf on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:21 pm

homocide wrote: the guys who were in the backround of croosroads in the 70s and starred as a storm trooper in return of the jedi strangely no takers . come on quality over quantity

The Crossroads guests were the busiest people there when I left that day. But it was their only day there.

The lot bought by the charity is a good lineup, shame they will probably all be £15 each.
Rarewolf

Postby whome3000 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:38 pm

I think you will find that more than 2% of the people visiting the event will know who the cast of Only Fools and Horses, The Green Green Grass and Hi-De-Hi are....... to name but 3 shows

Anyway back to suggesting guests:

Adam West
whome3000

Postby Admin on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Well what can I say a synopsis on how the world is and how the country is.

Perhaps you should join the government and give them a few pointers.

Stepping out of my Admin position for a moment and being joe bloggs I will put my point forward to how things are and what the reality really is.

As with the government they have no real grip on reality and are very insular in looking after themselves in the realms of recent times feathering their own nest and looking after number 1.

It is hard for people to grasp how much it costs to bring in a guest whether in the eyes of some one that is low level or certainly high level, the reason that you dont know is because you do not need to know or dont have a relevant understanding, dont need to think about it or it is not important.

The bottom line is you just want a signature and blow the cost to the event, because of course it does not matter whether the show looses money as long as you get a signature.

Here is a reality for you, if a guest costs over 50,000 as one star wars guest does and has, how many people will pay the £80 per autograph to help cover their cost, how many would you have for instance?

We are looking at different guests all of the the time and feel that the likes of Derek Jacobi, Kai Owen, Bruce Davidson, Arthur Darvill and ones that have not been announced yet are great guests and I for one enjoy meeting the UK Gold crew as someone else called them!

So are you saying that you would be happy to pay say £30 to £40 plus for an autgraph, if you are then I am sure the organisers would be happy to sort something out as long as you could rally enough people to do the same, can you do that and guarantee that?

Many guests want more and more money to attend shows now and contrary to some peoples belief and something that has been proven very recently big guests do not always pull the crowds and certainly do not cover the cost of bringing them in, that is factual and very relevant.

There you go there is my lesson for the day.

From someone who may be the Admin but can also take a step back and be joe bloggs from down the road but with more information to be able to give an informed view that is not personal.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:32 am

Well i think you are in the minority, one person paying that sort of money would not cover the cost of a guests pay day.

We are as I say always looking at different guests but they all have to be looked at in perspective.

You are one person and pay for someone like Hulk Hogan for instance, it would take at least 1500 people like toy to break even.

If you know how much hogan would have to charge.

Any way we have listened, taken it on board.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rarewolf on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:31 pm

homocide wrote: they would bring huge mainstream attention to the event and generate the sales for the traders to cover understandably astrounomical stall fees. as it stands at the moment im afraid they dont

In my case once the guests I want at a show reaches a certain (expensive) point, I rule out buying anything on the stalls. No cash to spare. Guests you can never be 100% sure you'll see again, merchandise the odds are better.

I think my personal rule is I won't spend more than £100 on a single guest. I got 1 Mark Hamil. Anything more than £25 an autograph it stops being fun. Get what you have to, but no more. I will spend more on £10 guests than £15 guests in Birmingham.
Rarewolf

Postby ItsAllGravy on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Bolo yeung, Bolo yeung, Bolo yeung Cheers
ItsAllGravy

Postby firefly827347 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:26 am

obiyoda wrote:Hmmmm, seems your arguments are not as ironclad as you would like ADMIN....... people will pay to see the people mentioned, give us the chance to prove it. hogan? Yes I would pay for his autograph, or Edge's or just about any current wrestler. So, the ball is well and truly back in your court ADMIN.

You've proved that some people will pay substantial amounts to meet these people but like Admin said, you need to get hundreds (if not thousands) of people on board to pay those amounts and it's very difficult for the organisers to book a big guest based on pure faith that people will show up. At a recent event a huge guest was booked and I was expecting the event to be mobbed, and it just wasn't. A select few, but not everyone, can afford to/wants to pay those prices in the current environment.
firefly827347

Postby whome3000 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:35 am

I still remember when the 'sporting memorbilia' was hosted in a seperate hall next door to memorbilia for at least 1 event - the sports hall was almost empty the memorbilia hall was full...... makes you think ;)
whome3000

Postby Admin on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:06 am

obiyoda wrote:Hmmmm, seems your arguments are not as ironclad as you would like ADMIN....... people will pay to see the people mentioned, give us the chance to prove it. hogan? Yes I would pay for his autograph, or Edge's or just about any current wrestler. So, the ball is well and truly back in your court ADMIN.

Nothing is ironclad, the point I am making is that there would not be enough people to pay 100,000 us for Holk Hogan and flights, hotels and everything else concerned.

We are not saying we wont do it, but sometimes this has to be pointed out and put in to perspective.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:08 am

whome3000 wrote:I still remember when the 'sporting memorbilia' was hosted in a seperate hall next door to memorbilia for at least 1 event - the sports hall was almost empty the memorbilia hall was full...... makes you think ;)

There you go, what does that tell you.

Although this can happen for Media guests also, it is all about trying to hit a balance and overall we offer a very wide spreading range of guests, not everyone will like all of them but many like the choice and the different people.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby matt7984 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:00 am

I think you would be surprised at how much some people would pay for a bigger guest. Christopher Lambert (Highlander) was at a recent convention charging £35 an autograph and was extremely busy both of his signing days.

With guests like Hogan or Mr. T I don't think not making a profit would be an issue, these guys would be a huge attraction!
matt7984

Postby andini on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:36 am

Would like to see more movie guests. And it doesn't have to be expensive A list Hollywood guests, look at the UK film industry over the last few years, Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Solomon Kane, Eden Lake, Hush, Wilderness, Mom & Dad, Submarine, Kill List, Attack the Block, Doghouse, Evil Aliens, Black Death, Severence, Creep, Doomsday and the upcoming Woman In Black.
andini

Postby firefly827347 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:58 pm

andini wrote:Would like to see more movie guests. And it doesn't have to be expensive A list Hollywood guests, look at the UK film industry over the last few years, Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Solomon Kane, Eden Lake, Hush, Wilderness, Mom & Dad, Submarine, Kill List, Attack the Block, Doghouse, Evil Aliens, Black Death, Severence, Creep, Doomsday and the upcoming Woman In Black.

Okay, to put it into perspective as someone who has also attended events like these for a few years, the only film I've seen in that list is Dog Soldiers - because I was outvoted during movie night - and I hated it. I've only heard of The Descent, Solomon Kane, Attack The Block and Severence out of your list, and I wouldn't watch any of them. I'm sure you think guests from them would be fantastic but as someone who hates horror films, I'd be really disappointed. I'm really pleased with many of the guests already announced - I'm really looking forward to meeting Arthur Darvill, for example - so it does show that you can't ever please everyone.
firefly827347

Postby andini on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:31 pm

firefly827347 wrote:
andini wrote:Would like to see more movie guests. And it doesn't have to be expensive A list Hollywood guests, look at the UK film industry over the last few years, Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Solomon Kane, Eden Lake, Hush, Wilderness, Mom & Dad, Submarine, Kill List, Attack the Block, Doghouse, Evil Aliens, Black Death, Severence, Creep, Doomsday and the upcoming Woman In Black.

Okay, to put it into perspective as someone who has also attended events like these for a few years, the only film I've seen in that list is Dog Soldiers - because I was outvoted during movie night - and I hated it. I've only heard of The Descent, Solomon Kane, Attack The Block and Severence out of your list, and I wouldn't watch any of them. I'm sure you think guests from them would be fantastic but as someone who hates horror films, I'd be really disappointed. I'm really pleased with many of the guests already announced - I'm really looking forward to meeting Arthur Darvill, for example - so it does show that you can't ever please everyone.

I'm not a Doctor Who fan so have never heard of Arthur Darvill or the 7 other representitives.
You may not have heard of the above films but if I was to list some of the talent from those you would surely recognise names from countless other film and TV shows:

Alex Reid - The Descent, Misfits, Life on Mar, Ultimate Force, Wilderness
Nora Jane Noone - The Descent, Doomsday, Coronation Street, Day of the Triffids
Kelly Reilly - Eden Lake, Sherlock Holmes movies, Above Suspicion (TV)
James Purefoy - Solomon Kane, Rome (TV), Ironclad
Perry Benson - Mom & Dad, This is England, 15 Stories high, You Rang M'Lord
Kevin McKidd - Dog Soldiers, Greys Anatomy, Rome
Nick Frost =- Attack the Block, Paul, Sean of The Dead
Christine Bottomly - Hush, Land Girls, The Street, Early Doors, Heartbeat
Myana Burring - The Descent, Lesbian Vampire Killers, Kill List, Twilight saga, Doomsday, Dr Who
Toby Kebbell - Wilderness, Rock n Rolla, The Street (TV), dEAD mANS sHOES

So much current UK talent, could go on and on and on and on...........
andini

Postby firefly827347 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 pm

andini wrote:...if I was to list some of the talent from those you would surely recognise names from countless other film and TV shows:

Alex Reid - The Descent, Misfits, Life on Mar, Ultimate Force, Wilderness
Nora Jane Noone - The Descent, Doomsday, Coronation Street, Day of the Triffids
Kelly Reilly - Eden Lake, Sherlock Holmes movies, Above Suspicion (TV)
James Purefoy - Solomon Kane, Rome (TV), Ironclad
Perry Benson - Mom & Dad, This is England, 15 Stories high, You Rang M'Lord
Kevin McKidd - Dog Soldiers, Greys Anatomy, Rome
Nick Frost =- Attack the Block, Paul, Sean of The Dead
Christine Bottomly - Hush, Land Girls, The Street, Early Doors, Heartbeat
Myana Burring - The Descent, Lesbian Vampire Killers, Kill List, Twilight saga, Doomsday, Dr Who
Toby Kebbell - Wilderness, Rock n Rolla, The Street (TV), dEAD mANS sHOES

So much current UK talent, could go on and on and on and on...........

In order - no, no, no, no, no, yes, yes, no, no, no.
firefly827347

Postby andini on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Oh well i guess that doesnt bode well for the British film industry and current UK drama if men behind masks in doctor who and star wars are bigger pulls and more well known
andini

Postby firefly827347 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:14 pm

andini wrote:Oh well i guess that doesnt bode well for the British film industry and current UK drama if men behind masks in doctor who and star wars are bigger pulls and more well known

Maybe it doesn't but Doctor Who is one of the most popular UK tv programmes of the past few years and is a very popular international export, as is its spinoff Torchwood. Star Wars is one of the biggest movie franchises ever. Like I said, you can't please everyone, but the current guestlist will please much of the demographic that attends Memorabilia.
firefly827347

Postby angiebaby on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Derek Jacobi is not purely Dr Who he is a British acting institution.

No you can't please everyone but I don't think that belittling the guests that are already attending, alot of people ARE going for these guests. I understand that you have a preference for certain guests, but then again don't we all!

You can NEVER please all of the people all of the time.
angiebaby

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT