Cosplay!

Discuss MEMORABILIA @ the NEC Birmingham, this is also where guests are announced and discussed. Don't forget to visit the main MEMORABILIA site also http://www.memorabilia.co.uk/birmingham

Re: Cosplay!

Postby CaptainKindling on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:39 am

Hah! That sounds like a very well loved book :)
I think I was 17 when I was steered towards Hitchhikers' by the dad of a school friend. He was telling me about the animals in the restaurant at the end of the universe who were genetically modified so that they wanted to be eaten, and I was just so intrigued that I had to read more :) The first one's definitely my favourite, but I think the rest are pretty closely tied. Except for Mostly Harmless, which I found a bit depressing. Have you read the Dirk Gently books? I prefer Hitchhikers, but they're still a good read :)

Well while you revise Red Dwarf, I'll continue my search for the perfect argyle top! I know what I'll be doing on my lunch break today...
I know where my towel is.
CaptainKindling

Postby Romana on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:59 pm

It most definately is. I have to agree its clear Douglas Adams' heart wasn't really in it. I've blocked that book from my mind cause I hate the ending.

I adore Dirk Gently I even read the unfinished book Salmon of Doubt.

Did you watch the bbc 3 pilot episode of Dirk Gently?
There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.

Romana

Postby Romana on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Are you on facebook? I'll have to add you.

Romana

Postby CaptainKindling on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Ah yes, I loved The Salmon of Doubt :) I get a bit sad that I'll never know how it ends, but I love all of the little glimpses you get into Douglas' mind from the compiled bits and pieces in the first half of the book.

I never actually saw the BBC pilot, was it worth watching? I may have to seek it out, I'm sure it must be online somewhere.

And I think I might have to finally face the 21st century and get myself on Facebook! I'm not on there at the mo, but I'll get myself set up this evening after work and come back here with a link to my page :)
CaptainKindling

Postby Romana on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah its definitely worth a watch, it was very true to the book and the actor - who's name escapes me - played the part to a tee, no other actor could play Dirk like he did.

I only joined facebook recently, its great cause you can keep in touch with friends and fanily so much easier and its a great way to publicise my dressmaking and writing.

Douglas Adams was a genius and such an interesting person. Salmon of a doubt gives you such an insight into his mind. I was gutted when I reached the end of the third unfinished Dirk book. Especially since it was so good. I was literally sitting on the bus and shouted 'no!' To the book, I got a few funny looks.

Romana

Postby CaptainKindling on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:36 pm

In that case I shall definitely have to look it up this evening :) I'm feeling compelled to go back and give 'Salmon another read now. I think the thing that I felt saddest about after reading it was finding out that Douglas was planning on another Hitchhiker's book to make amends for Mostly Harmless. I'd like to say I wonder what it would have been like, but I don't think anyone could even come close to the ideas he would have been cooking up.

Ooh you write as well? We'll have to natter more once I get Facebooked. I've let myself slack off a bit in the last year or so, but I do like to dabble in a bit of Adams/Pratchett style writing from time to time.
CaptainKindling

Postby CaptainKindling on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Romana wrote:Are you on facebook? I'll have to add you.

...I have now passed the point of no return and joined the rest of the world on Facebook! I've sent you a friend request :)
CaptainKindling

Previous

Return to GENERAL CHAT