Cosplay!

Discuss MEMORABILIA @ the NEC Birmingham, this is also where guests are announced and discussed. Don't forget to visit the main MEMORABILIA site also http://www.memorabilia.co.uk/birmingham

Re: Cosplay!

Postby RoryTheRoman on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Rory Williams (from Doctor Who, Series 5, Vampires of Venice)
RoryTheRoman

Postby CaptainKindling on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Granny Gertrude wrote:I can run a Masquerade if people want! We have not had huge numbers involved in the last couple so I have not run them competitively, so I am also open to ideas to put a twist on it ^_^

I'd love for there to be a Masquerade in Brum :) Preferably on the Sunday as I can have more fun in my Arthur Dent costume.
I know where my towel is.
CaptainKindling

Postby Silantre on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:20 pm

A masquerade would be awsome! If I am able to go then I would definatly sign up. But I do understand that if only like 4 people enter then it wouldn't really be worth it ^^'

If there would be a confirmation closer to the day if there would be one and on what time/day then I might be able to pursuade my mum to drive me there =3
Silantre

Postby MandaPanda on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm looking at going a Pikachu and my sister is looking at going as the 11th Doctor Matt Smith. :D
MandaPanda

Postby Admin on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:37 am

Well Granny Gertrude does run a Masquerade/Cosplay Competition over the weekend, email cosplay@mcmexpo.net for details
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BlackBirdShadow on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 am

There are usually quite a few cosplayers there, but I think they're usually too nervous to ask to be in the masquerade, or it's just not advertised enough. What about some runners going around Memrobilia asking people if they want to sign up on the day?
BlackBirdShadow

Postby Romana on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:12 pm

That is the best idea I have heard in a long time. I think that is the problem with the masquade, nobody quites knows where to go, how to apply, what time or anything like that.

I suppose us cosplayers could spread the word ourselves. I will certainly be mentioning it to any passing cosplayers.

I'll be going as Romana II in her Horns of Nimon outfit, so look out for me!
There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.

Romana

Postby CaptainKindling on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Romana wrote:That is the best idea I have heard in a long time. I think that is the problem with the masquade, nobody quites knows where to go, how to apply, what time or anything like that.

I suppose us cosplayers could spread the word ourselves. I will certainly be mentioning it to any passing cosplayers.

I'll be going as Romana II in her Horns of Nimon outfit, so look out for me!

And I shall be wandering around in my pyjamas, dressing gown and towel looking a little bit lost... but I shall help to spread the word if there is to be a masquerade
CaptainKindling

Postby Anime_Angel on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 pm

I changed my mind, if I get my coat in time, I'm gonna cosplay as psychopath Chuck Greene from dead rising 2 off the record with the paddlesaw lol otherwise if all else fails, I'll be Haruhi Suzumiya^_^
Anime_Angel

Postby dan-dan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:25 pm

cool me and my freind are gonna enter the masqurade but u can come and talk to us about it as we are happy to meet new people
ill be either honey senpai or haruhi from ouran and my friend wil be gumi from vocaloid (the hoodie version)
may - syaoran, black*, DTK
dan-dan

Postby MandaPanda on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 pm

A bit nervous about the masquerade me and my sister's first time.
MandaPanda

Postby CaptainKindling on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 pm

MandaPanda wrote:A bit nervous about the masquerade me and my sister's first time.

Nothing to fret about :) The masquerade at Memorabilia's really casual, and the cosplay crowd are a friendly bunch. Just relax and have fun!
CaptainKindling

Postby RoryTheRoman on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm really genuinly worried at taking part in the masquerade, the fact is...being male...im like this naturally...but my costume is unique, but simple...and im worried I wont fit into the right category or be good compared to anyone else (plus its my first time)
RoryTheRoman

Postby RoryTheRoman on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:29 pm

This is my costume -

Im the 2nd guy...leaning against the 3rd person. :)

If you where wondering what it is from, its this, Arthur Darvill's costume, whom I will be meeting on Sunday.

RoryTheRoman

Postby Silantre on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:25 pm

RoryTheRoman wrote:I'm really genuinly worried at taking part in the masquerade, the fact is...being male...im like this naturally...but my costume is unique, but simple...and im worried I wont fit into the right category or be good compared to anyone else (plus its my first time)

I know me saying this won't take away all of your fears, but I hope it will help.

I promise you that you will be scared before getting on stage. There's no hiding that. Maybe even when on stage you'll be scared. But I also promise you that after you've finished posing/performing you'll breathe a sigh of relief then want to get straight back up there =3!

A Masquerade could mean one of many things for you, whether it be to show off your costume, entertain people watching, or even to prove to yourself that you can do it. Sometimes the simplist costumes can be the most effective, and afterall cosplay is about looking like a character, not making the most extravagant costume, and from looking at your pictures above you look pretty damn awsome! =D

My advice, ignore everyone else and just make your time in the spotlight the best it can be by having fun ^^

I hope you do decide to do the masquerade, and I wish you the best of luck =3
Silantre

Postby CaptainKindling on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:34 am

Well, time for me to head out! All you Saturday cosplayers, I'll see you later :) Sunday folks, I shall see you tomorrow!
CaptainKindling

Postby CaptainKindling on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Hey Cosplayers! Just wanted to say it was great to see some fantastic costumes over the weekend :) Shame there weren't more participants in the masquerade on Sunday, but having a wander around I saw loads of great people who were more than happy to stop for a photo. And nice to see you, Romana! Looking forward to seeing who you'll be cosplaying as in March :) I have the feeling I'll be Denting it again...
CaptainKindling

Postby Romana on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:21 pm

It was great meeting you too Dent Arthur Dent. It was great seeing everyone's costumes. Shame about the low turn out for the Masquerade, but i think next years will be a better turn out. How about Ford Prefecting it next year?

It was a great day and it was great meeting everyone including the MAster, 8th Doctor and the 9th amongst many others.

I'm already thinking about next year's costume! Any suggestions?

Romana

Postby CaptainKindling on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Romana wrote:It was great meeting you too Dent Arthur Dent. It was great seeing everyone's costumes. Shame about the low turn out for the Masquerade, but i think next years will be a better turn out. How about Ford Prefecting it next year?

It was a great day and it was great meeting everyone including the MAster, 8th Doctor and the 9th amongst many others.

I'm already thinking about next year's costume! Any suggestions?

Well I want to do Arthur again next time simply because I was a little annoyed at myself for forgetting the Babelfish (I suddenly remembered on the way in on Saunday!). But if I go both days next time then perhaps Ford might be necessary :) ...I'll work my way up to Zaphod eventually!

I've got to say I'm intrigued by your idea of the Cat from Red Dwarf :D I'd like to see that
CaptainKindling

Postby Romana on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:36 pm

You had a babelfish!? That is cool, i want to see that. If you did come as Ford I take it as the 80's version?

Yeah I think the Cat would be a great costume, because I'd have to do the hair and I'd love to wear the cat fangs!

It's just a case of which costume to do and which would be possible. The zebra print coat costume is definately iconic but i don't know if that is possible to copy.

I'd love to do zaphod, i know exactly how i would make the extra head too. So you never know it could be zaphod arriving at the NEC in march.

Romana

Postby Silantre on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:46 pm

T'was definatly awsome meeting everyone! I just wish I was able to get to know you guys a bit better though :(

Twas awsome to see the cosplayers that I did there =] and I definatly hope to see you guys again ^^
Silantre

Postby CaptainKindling on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Oh definitly 80's Ford! In fact since you've planted the seed in my head (all of 10 minutes ago!) I'm currently trawling the internet trying to find the perfect argyle vest top and striped jacket :) And I guess I could use the babelfish for Ford as well. It wasn't anything especially fancy, I was going to get one of those fish-on-a-rod cat toys, cut the fish off the end, and then use a sticky velcro pad to attatch it to my ear. But seeing as I've now got 4 months until next Memorabilia I could try and think of something more flashy :D Zaphod's another one I'd love to see... maybe we can find a Marvin from somewhere?

I've got to admit I just started to cycle through Cat costumes in my head and the first thing that appeared was the Riviera Kid! I think I need to go and rewatch the dvd's, I'm sure there must be some great ones which I've forgotten.
...of course you could go completely in the opposite direction and go with Dwayne Dibbley :P
CaptainKindling

Postby Romana on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Dwane Dibbley! I simply could not possibly be seen wearing an uncoordinated outfit! White socks, nylon shirt, and tea flask! Don't be a smeghead! Your right, i definately think a re-run of Red Dwarf is nessesary. Oh the things I have to do!

I love the sound of Ford Prefect, if so don't forget to include a few dog-eared scripts of Hamlet in your bag. But if you do decide to come as Zaphod let me know cause I've got so many ideas how to do the extra head.

Yeah the Rivera Kid would be good, I'd have to do the little dance with it too whenever i intoduced myself.

Romana

Postby CaptainKindling on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 pm

And don't forget the classic Dibbley sandals!

Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about the Hamlet! I seem to be cursed to keep losing my copies of H2G2 in breakups, so I need to get myself another new copy and swot up on my Prefectisms :)
Well like I said, Zaphod's going to be a little while off, but I think I'll be falling back on your cosplay expertise when the time comes!
CaptainKindling

Postby Romana on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

I first discovered Hitchhiker's Guide in a charity shop many years ago in prestine condition. I recognised the name Douglas Adams from Doctor Who and the book description intrigued me. I've still got that copy now, the cover is falling off, spine destroyed, pages stainned. And Life the universe and everything (my favourite along with the 1st) is literally celotaped together I've read it that much!

Yeah, any questions ask me I'm more than happy to help. And any cosplay suggestions are welcome. I'll begin the Red Dwarf revision tomorrow.

Romana

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL CHAT