How much money should I take to expo?

Discus the MIDLANDS MCM EXPO at the International Centre in Telford.

Let us know what you like and what you want to see.

How much money should I take to expo?

Postby supalurve on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 pm

I was just wondering how much money people would recommend taking to expo. I only took £40 last time I went and I couldn't buy much... This year, I have a better idea about what I want to buy and I know I'll need more money than I've taken before.
Has anyone else found that they didn't have enough at an expo? Is there a recommended amount for taking there?
Birmingham = Izaya & Shion
supalurve

Re: How much money should I take to expo?

Postby dan-dan on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:51 pm

well this year im gonna take £40 as this will be some of my christmas money but i know some people will take around £100 but it really depends on how much money you can get before the expo and how much u wanna buy

i would say £50 is a good price
may - syaoran, black*, DTK
dan-dan

Postby Carmina on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:03 pm

It really is an individual preference. Take enough so you have money for whatever food you need to buy and then a little more for shopping. As a rule of thumb I try to only take cash to conventions, as its a good incentive not to go overbudget and expect to spend everything you take with you. Bear in mind food places round these sorts of venues can be pricey too.
Carmina

Postby supalurve on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks for the replies ^^ <3
Birmingham = Izaya & Shion
supalurve

Postby Purplecat95 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 pm

I usually take about £60-£80, but my friend takes more than that - usually pushing towards more than 100 quid! XD It really depends on what you're planning to buy. Take more than you think you'll need, but I'd say £150 is by far the maximum amount to be carting around! XD
Also, save enough for food if you're eating there - but I'm gonna bring my own lunch, 'cus I assume prices will be incredibly expensive!
Either way, I'd say about £70 would be a good amount, depending on what you're planning to purchase. :mrgreen:
Purplecat95

Postby LaurenxoxoHCLA on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:26 pm

First year i went i took £30 and i struggled!
The second year i took £60 but didnt spend it all!
This year i plan to take about £80 but this is because i plan to buy extra special stuff haha! (POCKY!)
It basically depends on the things you think you want to buy and then things you see on spur of the moment
which happens to me alot! haha :D

Lauren xoxo
LaurenxoxoHCLA

Postby firefly827347 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:35 pm

I'd recommend taking slightly more than you aim to spend, just in case. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to find a working cash machine so it's better to be safe than sorry! :)
firefly827347

Postby OptimisticRebel on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:36 pm

First expo, I took £120, and ended up spending £15.
Since then, I've taken and spend about £100 per day, or £250 if going for a London weekend.
OptimisticRebel

Postby Fluttershy on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:01 pm

I hope to take around £100. Some of that is to buy my mum a birthday present and the rest is for merch and food needs. I will be very frugal though, because I always end up wanting more.
Fluttershy

Postby Rogue of Mind on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm probably going to take £100-ish plus a little spare for emergency cash. And then try not to go overboard on wanting all of the shiny things. (It's been years since I last went to anything like this but I haven't forgotten the MUST BUY EVERYTHING aspect xD)
Rogue of Mind

Postby OptimisticRebel on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Rogue of Mind wrote:I'm probably going to take £100-ish plus a little spare for emergency cash. And then try not to go overboard on wanting all of the shiny things. (It's been years since I last went to anything like this but I haven't forgotten the MUST BUY EVERYTHING aspect xD)

I was like that with my first expo, I wanted pretty much everything.

But I didn't know what to buy first, and ended up buying nothing. :lol:
OptimisticRebel

Postby Lisabags on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

I'm after some box sets so i'm aiming for £60-£100 (including some food money)
But i have been to expos on less that £30 - went to Birmingham expo last March and only had £10 DB ,that was hard.
I'm trying to resist spending anything i make over the weekend as i need to put that towards my next convention otherwise i could go daft lol
Lisabags

Postby Amon81 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Again it's personal preference. Without transport and food money I'm taking the same as I did last year £200.

I spent all of it on what I wanted to get in the first 45 minutes last time (I was very glad to get it all, but a bugger to carry round all day). There is less I what this time so I might have some more money left over, never a bad thing.

I personally never buy Pocky from conventions as the mark up is normally terrible.
Amon81

Return to GENERAL CHAT