Asian Cinema ~

Chat about Movies here

Asian Cinema ~

Postby Floof on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:08 pm

I realise there's no Sub-Genre for Asian movies in the Japanese Culture area, so lets discuss all Asian cinema fancies here. =3

To start off Asian Cinema refers to the cineam of Eastern, Southeastern and Southern Asia.

I got into Asian Cinema around the last years of secodary school, when i had not internet but learnt that libraries loaned out DVDs for free to minors. YAY, FREENESS. There are soo many awesome east Asian movies out there, especially those coming from Korea.
Good old Jonathan Ross even done a short documentary on Eastern Asian cinema, where he name-drops a few quality pieces.

Some of my favourite movies are:

1]2046 (cantonese)
Image 2]A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean)Image

3]I'm a Cyborg but thats OK (Korean)
Image 4]Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Korean)Image

~

So which Asian movies are you into and which would you like to reccomend to the rest of us?
Last edited by Floof on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Re: Asian Cinema ~

Postby jetgirl on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:25 am

old boy [korea]

'nuff said.
jetgirl

Postby Toadsanime on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 pm

'The Host' is the only Korean film that I've seen, but it was quite an enjoyable watch. I also quite liked 'Casshern', a Japanese title. I've seen quite a number of foreign films and have quite liked most of the ones that I've watched; there's a whole world of great films still left out there for me to watch. I'll give some other Korean films a go, I think.

(And though it's Spanish, I can't help but give 'Pan's Labyrinth' a mention.)
Toadsanime

Postby Floof on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:46 pm

jetgirl wrote:old boy [korea]

'nuff said.

Old Boy = WIN. Did you know 'Old Boy' was the second installment in the trilogy?

1) Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
2) Old Boy
3) Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

----

Toadsanime wrote:'The Host' is the only Korean film that I've seen, but it was quite an enjoyable watch. I also quite liked 'Casshern', a Japanese title. I've seen quite a number of foreign films and have quite liked most of the ones that I've watched; there's a whole world of great films still left out there for me to watch. I'll give some other Korean films a go, I think.

'The Host' was a surprise for me actually. I'd heard it was about a mutant fish on a rampage, so I just thought it'd be lolz. But it has alot of black humour which was great. I really liked the girl's dad xD! HILLARIOUS.

Pan's Labyrinth <3. Oh, I was supposed to make a fan-made music vid. Hopefully i'll get to it soon!
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Toadsanime on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:59 pm

Floof wrote:
Toadsanime wrote:'The Host' is the only Korean film that I've seen, but it was quite an enjoyable watch. I also quite liked 'Casshern', a Japanese title. I've seen quite a number of foreign films and have quite liked most of the ones that I've watched; there's a whole world of great films still left out there for me to watch. I'll give some other Korean films a go, I think.

'The Host' was a surprise for me actually. I'd heard it was about a mutant fish on a rampage, so I just thought it'd be lolz. But it has alot of black humour which was great. I really liked the girl's dad xD! HILLARIOUS.

Pan's Labyrinth <3. Oh, I was supposed to make a fan-made music vid. Hopefully i'll get to it soon!

Yay for The Host! It was a pretty cool film, yes. I only borrowed it from someone, so I've yet to actually buy the DVD for myself.
Show me it when/if it's done, I adore Pan's Labyrinth, it's one of my all-time favourites. Regrettably, I haven't even seen 'The Orphanage' yet.
Toadsanime

Postby Finzo on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:01 pm

I've actually been meaning to watch Lady Vengeance, as I think we have it on DVD.

Also, was Tale of Two Sisters meant to be a horror film? Because I got the impression it was, yet I didn't find it scary at all. I really liked it, though, it had a very interesting storyline (even though I didn't get it at all without someone explaining it to me first xD ).
Finzo

Postby Floof on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:49 pm

Toadsanime wrote:Regrettably, I haven't even seen 'The Orphanage' yet.

Oh? What's "The Orphanage" all about? It's also spanish, I assume?

Finzo wrote:I've actually been meaning to watch Lady Vengeance, as I think we have it on DVD.

Also, was Tale of Two Sisters meant to be a horror film? Because I got the impression it was, yet I didn't find it scary at all. I really liked it, though, it had a very interesting storyline (even though I didn't get it at all without someone explaining it to me first xD ).

I dunno, as a horror genre I think it fails lol, but as a psychological horror it does really well. ZOMG, I actually had to watch the movie twice to get all the pieces to fall into place, which I really liked. A very memorable movie IMO! :o

Don't look now, but it's already being made into an american remake. ¬_¬
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Toadsanime on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:06 pm

Floof wrote:
Toadsanime wrote:Regrettably, I haven't even seen 'The Orphanage' yet.

Oh? What's "The Orphanage" all about? It's also spanish, I assume?

Guilermo del Toro, the director of Pan's Labyrinth (and the director of Hellboy, too) also directed The Orphanage. And, yes, it's also Spanish. It's thought to some as the spiritual sequel to Pan's Labyrinth. :D
Toadsanime

Postby Berserk667 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:54 am

Ong Bak and Warrior King TONY JAA IS THE MAN!
Berserk667

Postby Floof on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Ong Bak. Now THERE'S one movie I keep delaying to watch. I hear the sequels not too great though. =S
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Revolver Kitty Jin on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:42 am

Lady Vengence and Old boy would have to be my main 2 favourites, both are so intense. i never did get to watch A tale of Two Sisters, saw a lil bit of it, got creeped out cus it was the middle of the night and went to bed, gotta watch it some other time, and i saw a bit of Im a Cyborg But Thats Okay and i loved it, but didnt get to finish watching it -__- hate that Film4 put them on so late as if no one wants to watch them at abit earlier time:(
Revolver Kitty Jin

Postby sarahtsang123 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:30 am

I got Tales of two sisters on DVD but only managed to watch half of it..since i was told to go to bed hahah. (it was about 1am..and my dad shouted at me xD)..

Is one litre of tears considered a movie or drama? ahaha...but it was great and i only cried towards the ending..and since its a true story...its even more sad...i want the diary to be translated =x

I watched Death note in the cinema last year in London...it was rubbish....Anime turned live films shouldnt happen..since nothing lives up to the anime...(NANA sucked so bad being a live action film..but everyone in HK likes it..a lot..) I laughed a lot when the criminal got runned over by the bus coz it saw Lights shinigami..haha.. the acting was annoying..especially with all the extras trying to act like they died..

I seen..
Shaolin soccor
House of flying daggers
RAWR
sarahtsang123

Postby Ottervinn on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:33 pm

You'll have to ask my brother. -.-;

I do like foreign films, but I still haven't watched alot of Asian classics. Just Battle Royale, One Litre of Tears, Hard-Boiled, etc.. ^^ My brother found a really rare Jet Li film for like, £4 in one shop, and he's been on at me to watch that...
London - Francis Bonnefoy - France (Hetalia)
Other cons - Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
Ottervinn

Postby CrystalNeko on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

I've been watching Asian movies since I was little ^_^ The majority of them I don't actually know the names of though because they'd be on the TV and I'd never bother asking what it's called ^^; I've forgotten most of them anyway LOL.

Lately I haven't been watching much Asian movies. Battle Royale still remains a strong favourite of mine though!!

Do I hear Pan's Labyrinth? That movie was genious! It was amazing, I want to watch it again now!

@Sarahtsang123: Lol, I'm the complete opposite XD. I LOVE it when they turn animes into live actions, I liked the Death Note live action a lot more to the anime/manga. I bought Nana a few years ago, I've seen the first one but haven't had the chance to watch the second one - to be honest I prefer the movies again. I don't know why I just love the Anime to Live action movies!!
CrystalNeko

Postby sarahtsang123 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:27 am

Floof wrote:I realise there's no Sub-Genre for Asian movies in the Japanese Culture area, so lets discuss all Asian cinema fancies here. =3

To start off Asian Cinema refers to the cineam of Eastern, Southeastern and Southern Asia.

I got into Asian Cinema around the last years of secodary school, when i had not internet but learnt that libraries loaned out DVDs for free to minors. YAY, FREENESS. There are soo many awesome east Asian movies out there, especially those coming from Korea.
Good old Jonathan Ross even done a short documentary on Eastern Asian cinema, where he name-drops a few quality pieces.

Some of my favourite movies are:

1]2046 (cantonese)
Image 2]A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean)Image

3]I'm a Cyborg but thats OK (Korean)
Image 4]Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Korean)Image

~

So which Asian movies are you into and which would you like to reccomend to the rest of us?

2046..in Cantonese and not Mando?...thats awesome hahah. That means i can watch it without the subtitles...:D.
That Cyborg looks awesome...:D..aahah.
RAWR
sarahtsang123

Postby xblackravenx on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:09 am

battle royale is one of my faves, tho imo the 2nd was fail...
lets see, i like the horror type ones, the ring series was great to see (esp when compared to the american rubbish)
the eye, dark water, quite enjoyed old boy, ichi the killer...probably more but i really cant remember them. my bf doesnt let me watch them at home anymore because he doesnt like having to read subtitles ¬_¬
oh and i kind of half watched azumi but kept getting distracted (who thought it would be a good idea to put on a film with subtitles while trying to sew ?)
xblackravenx

Postby Touka on Fri May 29, 2009 9:34 am

BEST. MOVIE. EVER.
Touka

Return to MOVIES