Disney Classics

Chat about Movies here

Disney Classics

Postby Toadsanime on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:58 pm

I have the need to post here more, but I can't because there's really nothing more for me to post on. So, to solve this problem, I'll make a few threads here-and-there.

There are many great Disney Classic movies, of which I've really been getting into lately. I've asked for quite a bit of Disney stuff for Christmas, even! And when I mean 'Disney Classics', I'm personally referring to Disney's traditional 2-D animated classics such as 'Lion King' and 'Beauty and the Beast'; the two examples probably being my two favourites. Though Disney cited that they didn't intend to create any more 2-D animated classics, the 2-D Disney classic animation 'The Princess and the Frog' is released in cinema soon. On top of that, Beauty and the Beast is getting a 3-D re-release in cinema at some point, probably meaning that other classics will receive the same treatment if it goes well. Hoorah!

Anyway, to conjour up a little more of a discussion point, what is your favourite Disney Classic movie? Pretty much everyone has one, so I'd love to know what your's is. My guess is that the most popular one here is Lion King. :wink:
Toadsanime

Re: Disney Classics

Postby sjbonnar on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:36 pm

Well, I'm gonna say the Lion King, Aladdin and Treasure Planet (if that counts).

The Lion King is top for a number of reasons. The animation was incredible for its time, especially the Wildebeast chase. The storyline was amazing, based off of Shakespeare whom I adore. The characters were really deep. The Voice-Acting was perfect and the actors they got were amazing. The songs were memorable, catchy and well made and overall it was a great movie. It also had one of the best Disney sequels as well! (as most are tripe to be honest)
sjbonnar

Postby WiggyDee on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Interestingly enough though I've never really found myself able to put forth any definitive favorite disney movies despite how they were a large part of my childhood (unless your including Pixar, which would arguably have to be The Incredibles followed by Toy Story for the nostalgia alone).

But the closest animated classic I like the most? ... I honestly don't know, I could list my favorites that I all hold as the top of my list equally but that would probably span at least 10 movies.
WiggyDee

Postby Toadsanime on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:53 pm

Pixar, though also great, doesn't exactly count on this ocassion. I'm referring to the traditional 2-D classics. And, yes, though Treasure Planet became quite a 'failure' in the box office, Disney still regard it as one of their traditional classics.

The Lion King II was pretty good, wasn't it? It's certainly my favourite Disney sequel, anyway. The only real negative things to say about it is that Zazu's voice actor was changed, and the whole confusion as to whether the cub at the end of the first film was truly Kiara or not.
Toadsanime

Postby sjbonnar on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:00 pm

It's a shame that Treasure Planet tanked, as it truly is one of my all-time favourite movies, let alone favourite Disney movies ^_^
sjbonnar

Postby Toadsanime on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Honestly, I've actually yet to see it. It's only within the last two months or so that I've really gotten into Disney's classics. Naturally, a lot of Disney films were already glued to my childhood, but I've started buying all of the classics' videos, DVD's, books and the likes. What with Treasure Planet having such a bad reception, I haven't bothered seeking it out to watch it as of yet, but I'll probably buy it on DVD with my Christmas/birthday money.
Toadsanime

Postby Manga Girl on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:22 pm

My favourite Disney movies are:
The Lion King
Mulan
Pocahontas
Aladdin
Wall-E
Beauty & The Beast
The Little Mermaid
Manga Girl

Postby sunny1r on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Treasure Planet would have been great, but it was just overused so many times. Tresure Island, The Muppets and Treasure Island, even Blue Peter did a Treasure Island spin-off :lol:

The only trilogy of movies other than Lion King, may be Alladin. I loved that movie, i love all Disney movies but Alladin was just brilliant.

Mulan also sticks in mind as a brilliant film it had a really nice plot and for once there was a heroine. I've even used one of the songs for an AMV. :D
sunny1r

Postby Toadsanime on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:31 pm

Aladdin is pretty good, yes. Actually, even though all of the Aladdin sequels apparentely marks the beginning of Disney's rubbish sequels for some, I actually remember quite liking all of the Aladdin films when I was little. I suppose I didn't have such a great judgement as to what made a great Disney film when I was younger, but if the sequels entertained me - back when I was at the age of Disney's target audience - surely the films are good in the way that they're serving their purpose?
Toadsanime

Postby Floof on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:25 pm

Manga Girl wrote:My favourite Disney movies are:
The Lion King
Mulan
Pocahontas

YESSSS. People must regonise the winnage of Pocahontas. I mean, I grew up with the movie. **teary eyes** Mann... good times.

Pocahontas <3, Alice in Wonlerland <3 Lion King <3
If there's anything my parents have done right, it was buying my these videos when I was little. BOYYY how I burned out those tapes! XD. I'm sure I can recite the scripts, word for word. :lol:
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Nessie-chan on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Hmmm, My Disney Favourites?

Lion King (words cannot describe the greatness of this film)
Sleeping Beauty (revives my inner disney princess in me xD)
Jungle Book (will forever be a classic)
Mulan (just epic!)

Films that I dont consider favourites but love all the same:
Hercules
The Emperors New Groove
Cinderella
The Sword in The Stone
Robin Hood
The Black Cauldron (not enough people know or appreciate this film!!!)

Plus I am really hoping to put The Princess and The Frog on my favourites list. I am seriously looking forward to that film, I wanna see if it lives up to my expectations. Plus, Tiana is so pretty and is a MUST on my cosplay list!
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby Toadsanime on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm just worried that 'The Princess and the Frog' may contain just a bit too much CGI footage, that's all. And yes, I should hope that it lives up to my expectations, too. I'm somewhat ashamed that this movie has torn apart a small chunk of the Disney fan community. You see, a significant amount of Disney fans are rebelling against the fact that the princess in it will be marked as one of the 'Disney Princesses', yet is black. Seriously. That's what the controversy arose over; it's ridiculous.
Toadsanime

Postby sjbonnar on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:24 pm

I loved Robin Hood, but it was made of rehashed material from the Jungle Book as Disney were having a hard time with money (hence so many of the characters are the same animals as in Jungle Book). Plus, if you look at the dance scene in the forest, you'll see that it's reused footage from the dance at King Louis' palace LOL

Aladdin's sequels, I liked the King of Thieves, but HATED Return of Jafar...the series was pretty good though...

I must admit, I did love Hercules as well so may have to add that. I've got a thing for cool bad guys. Scar and Hades are two of the best. Malificent is still the scariest to me...
sjbonnar

Postby Leonie Heartilly on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:39 pm

sjbonnar wrote: Malificent is still the scariest to me...

I used to get so freaked out as a kid when her theme music came on when Auroa (spell?) does her zombie walk out of her castle room. *shudder* Prob would still bother me now XD

My favs are The Lion King and Beauty & the Beast.

Other good ones include: Mulan, Hercules, Pocahontas and Aladdin.

I liked Treasure Planet. I haven't seen it in ages however.
Leonie Heartilly

Postby Nessie-chan on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:27 am

Toadsanime wrote:I'm somewhat ashamed that this movie has torn apart a small chunk of the Disney fan community. You see, a significant amount of Disney fans are rebelling against the fact that the princess in it will be marked as one of the 'Disney Princesses', yet is black. Seriously. That's what the controversy arose over; it's ridiculous.

Well that's stupid. If they actually stopped and thought about the cultural background of Jasmine I bet you a whole load of people would turn on her and say she's a terrorist and whatnot. BLACK PRINCESSES FTW- cannot wait for this film.

sjbonnar wrote:Malificent is still the scariest to me...

Maleficent was the greatest baddie but not the scariest. Here is where I point you to the Black Cauldron which had such a scary bad guy (the demon king I think he was called) with such a horrific death that it had to be edited to be more "child friendly"!

edit: The Horned King xD http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TqqojdPmlJ4 watch that and tell me he isnt scary xD
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby sjbonnar on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:04 am

Nah, I don't find him scary. I've seen the Black Cauldron and I thought he was a comical version of Tim Curry's demon from Legend. Malificent actually felt creepy, as in when I saw her/heard her speak I felt as if she were evil rather than just knowing she SHOULD be evil.

Creepy!
sjbonnar

Postby Toadsanime on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:48 am

Maleficent is awesome and all, but Scar definitely has the greatest theme tune, 'Be Prepared'.
Toadsanime

Postby Nessie-chan on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Toadsanime wrote:Maleficent is awesome and all, but Scar definitely has the greatest theme tune, 'Be Prepared'.

"Be Prepared" is a superb baddie song! My fav, its just so funky! For someone who was meant to have a cold on the day of recording, Jeremy Irons made it perfect!

Also, though, I adore Frollo's "Hellfire" from Hunchback of Notre Dame. I don't think I've seen the fil properly, but that song... is DEEP. The message behind it... I definately wouldn't have got that as a kid!
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby Toadsanime on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Nessie-chan wrote:
Toadsanime wrote:Maleficent is awesome and all, but Scar definitely has the greatest theme tune, 'Be Prepared'.

"Be Prepared" is a superb baddie song! My fav, its just so funky! For someone who was meant to have a cold on the day of recording, Jeremy Irons made it perfect!

He did have a cold on the day of recording, so the last part of the song wasn't voiced by Jeremy Irons. Jim Cummings was hired to imitate his voice, and he did a pretty good job. He begins the song from the line 'you won't get a sniff without me' until the end.
Toadsanime

Postby Manga Girl on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:22 pm

Toadsanime wrote:
Nessie-chan wrote:

He did have a cold on the day of recording, so the last part of the song wasn't voiced by Jeremy Irons. Jim Cummings was hired to imitate his voice, and he did a pretty good job. He begins the song from the line 'you won't get a sniff without me' until the end.

Wow! I had no idea about that :D

I liked the first Aladdin movie and King Of Thieves, I really didn't like the return of Jafar.
Meleficent scared me when I was young and the music did scare me when Aurora was in a trance
Manga Girl

Postby sjbonnar on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Toadsanime wrote:
Nessie-chan wrote:

That's kinda cool!

Jeremy Irons is awesome in general and I must say that he and James Woods MAKE Scar and Hades. They were both amazing and the fact that James Woods kept doing Hades in the series was so cool of him.

Nessie: Hellfire is one of the most powerful songs in the world period. I love it with a passion and it's so strong!

I've gotta say, to this day Hunchback of Notre Dame still upsets me...it's one of the more emotional of Disney films...especially after the tomato-throwing scene. I don't cry often, but that brings me close every time and I've never found myself HATING animated characters as much as I hate those in the crowd and Frollo for letting it happen.
sjbonnar

Postby Manga Girl on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:05 pm

It's the endings of the movies that always make me cry, I remember when I first cryed at the end of Beauty & The Beast and recently watching Wall-E *happytears*
Manga Girl

Postby Nessie-chan on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Without fail, I will cry at the Circle of Life... there is just something about the power and emotion of the song and the scene, its so wonderful.
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby sjbonnar on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:56 pm

Simba: {Hopefully} Dad? ...Dad, come on. {He rubs up against Mufasa's cheek. The head merely rolls back in place after the rub} You gotta get up. {He places both forepaws on his father's cheek and pushes}

Dad. We gotta go home. {He tugs at Mufasa's ear. Again the head limply moves back in place. Simba runs off a bit, obviously very scared.} HEEEEELP! Somebody! Anybody... help.
sjbonnar

Postby Toadsanime on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:11 pm

sjbonnar wrote:Simba: {Hopefully} Dad? ...Dad, come on. {He rubs up against Mufasa's cheek. The head merely rolls back in place after the rub} You gotta get up. {He places both forepaws on his father's cheek and pushes}

Dad. We gotta go home. {He tugs at Mufasa's ear. Again the head limply moves back in place. Simba runs off a bit, obviously very scared.} HEEEEELP! Somebody! Anybody... help.

It's more tear-jerking than Titanic even, isn't it?
Toadsanime

Next

Return to MOVIES