Disney Classics

Chat about Movies here

Re: Disney Classics

Postby Leonie Heartilly on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:01 am

Nessie-chan wrote: In all honesty, I am moved more by the songs. "Circle of Life" still brings me to tears every time I see that sequence; I find it so powerful and moving.

"He Lives in You" from The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride is also a fave of mine.

Oh and some of Phil Collins work for Tarzan was amazing.
Leonie Heartilly

Postby Silver on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:59 pm

hanagata wrote:I also liket The Jungle Book a lot :lol:
Let's not be hard with the movie just because is not a copy of the book.

And about what sjbonnar said :O. That's interesting. I remember I also saw some scenes reused in The Jungle Book from The Sword on the Stone (The Sword on the Stone being older).

Its not that its not an exact copy of the books, if it was that then I would hate Disney, as most of their films are based off books or plays or ballet originally (Hunchback of Notre Dame, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty etc)

Its how badly the book to film transition is. The characters didn't stay truthful to the book, they were made fun of which, to someone who loves the books, is rather insulting. If other people like the film then fine, whatever, go for it. But I suggest reading the books and comparing the two and seeing which is better.
May Expo, 2010
Silver

Postby Nessie-chan on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:29 pm

I would think that is an unfair thing to do. In all honesty, I like seeing different interpretations of a book in film. I don't think you can fob off a film just because some of the characters were "greatly changed"... (will not be wavered on her love for the Jungle Book)

Also, upcoming Disney films... do you think they will be classics too?

Another quote:

Mushu: My baby's all grown up and.. saving China!
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby picklesofdoom on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 pm

Maleficent is my all time favourite Disney Villans... :D Though I never classed her as evil, personally because I loved her character Lol. Though I can agree with her being the most sinister disney villan. She had an extreme sense of power about her and lacked the "goofyness" a majority of other disney villans had as well as possessing a deliciously, dark sense of humour.
Thing is, I had a problem when I was younger because I always sympathised with the villans. LoL To quote what the Kiddi Pickles said to her mother when Sleeping Beauty finished: "She wasn't evil. She was just upset because no-one invited her to the baby party".

Scar is also one of my favourites. Jeremy Irons had the perfect voice for that part. :D He was cruel but possesses a brilliant, sarcastic charm about him. Jafar was close.

Shere Khan is in no way evil. Nasty, yes. Evil, no and certainly not menacing. I never really enjoyed the Jungle Book much either. It was an "ok" movie. Though I do love the Beatles as the Vultures and the songs are class. :mrgreen:

Hades was just plain cool.

For me saying that Ratigan was "most" evil is just my personal opinion, I guessing because I'm going from the PoV of how that character made me feel about them. Despite the others being evil, I still liked them. Ratigan was the only Villan that made me feel angry and possess a true hatred for the character...There was nothing to like about Ratigan at all. He wasn't funny, he certainly wasn't nice, everything he did was evil for evils sake or to get back at Basil and his voice (provided, of course, by the great Vincent Price.) attempting to be suave but just shouts "EVIL GENIUS SLIMEBALL"!
Lady Tremaine comes in very, very close second, there was nothing to like about that woman either, i think what was worse was the fact she always reminded me of someone I knew.
Ursula will be my 3rd choice, I always hated that octopus witch.

Bambi and the Lion King, though they had their sad moments they weren't the saddest. The Fox and the Hound was the only Disney film ever to make me cry....only ever watched it once LOL can't even remember the story.
picklesofdoom

Location: somewhere admiring the deep dark depths of my random mind

Postby Ottervinn on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:54 am

Hades was so goddamn awesome. He has such an awesome personality about him, almost like he's a very persuasive used-car salesman. Hehe. ^^ I mean, he could probably get ANYONE to give up their soul. :P
London - Francis Bonnefoy - France (Hetalia)
Other cons - Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
Ottervinn

Postby sjbonnar on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Ottervinn wrote:Hades was so goddamn awesome. He has such an awesome personality about him, almost like he's a very persuasive used-car salesman. Hehe. ^^ I mean, he could probably get ANYONE to give up their soul. :P

That's pure James Woods right there!
sjbonnar

Postby Ottervinn on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:37 pm

sjbonnar wrote:
Ottervinn wrote:Hades was so goddamn awesome. He has such an awesome personality about him, almost like he's a very persuasive used-car salesman. Hehe. ^^ I mean, he could probably get ANYONE to give up their soul. :P

That's pure James Woods right there!

Hehe, wouldn't expect any less from him...
Ottervinn

Postby ukotaku on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:09 pm

I hate it when Disney makes horrible Sequels for classic disney Movies. It makes me want to Sue them for ruining the storyline

I had nightmares from Pocahontas 2! >_>
Saturday: Yumasaki Walker-Durarara!!
Sunday: Orihara Izaya-Durarara!!
ukotaku

Postby Silver on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:49 pm

ukotaku wrote:I hate it when Disney makes horrible Sequels for classic disney Movies. It makes me want to Sue them for ruining the storyline

I had nightmares from Pocahontas 2! >_>

Eh... some of them are okay.

Pochahontas 2 was pretty dire, the songs were nice though.
Bambi 2 was fairly alright, it was kind of cool to have an insight into Bambi growing up. And Patrick Stewart was an awesome choice of VA.
Little Mermaid 2 was... not great. Little Mermaid 3, however was pretty good. I really enjoyed it cause it was fun. And Marina DelRay was an awful villian.
Mulan 2 had its moments.
Cinderella 2 was AWFUL. Cinderella 3 was enjoyable in places.
Fox wand the Hound 2 was unnececessary.
Snow Buddies 2 was just as bad as their first film.

Those are the ones I can think of at the moment. I have heard whispers of them making an Enchanted 2. This worries me.
May Expo, 2010
Silver

Postby Ottervinn on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:27 pm

I think some sequels are so unnecessary... lol... but one of my favourite Disney films (Rescuers Down Under) is a sequel... hm.
Ottervinn

Postby Nessie-chan on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Jungle Book 2- Broke my heart at how lame it was
Peter Pan 2- Wanted to kill that annoying little main girl
Little Mermaid 2- Ditto
Mulan 2- Alright... but they killed Mushu for me
Cinderella 2- I enjoyed Anastasia's story
Hunchback 2- havent seen, nor do I want to
Pochahantas 2- I have seen it a few times but for the life of me I cannot remember what it's about
Lady and The Tramp 2- I did enjoy
Bambi 2-... it was okay...
The others that are out there I have not seen

Best Disney Sequels was Lion King II and The Rescuers Down Under. Lion King II was just pure awesome and the songs were brilliant and the second rescuers film was TEN TIMES BETTER than the first.
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby Leonie Heartilly on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:30 pm

I love The Lion King II: Simba's Pride. <3

Lion King 3 was totally unnecessary and I don't have that much to say about the other sequels.
Leonie Heartilly

Postby Ottervinn on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:31 pm

Nessie-chan wrote:Best Disney Sequels was Lion King II and The Rescuers Down Under. Lion King II was just pure awesome and the songs were brilliant and the second rescuers film was TEN TIMES BETTER than the first.

Yes! =D I found the first Rescuers film really hard to follow for some reason... =/ But that woman who'd kidnapped that girl was bloody insane, but you know, she was like, really laughable. But McLeach is an awesomely laughable villain. xDDD Along with Joanna... Oh yes, I remember a song he sung...

HOME HOME HOME ON THE RANGE
WHERE THE CRITTERS ARE ALL TIED UP WITH CHAINS
I CUT INTO THEIR SIDES AND RIP OFF THEIR HIDES
AND THE NEXT DAY I DO IT AGAIN!
EVERYBODY NOW!

xDDD I always sing along at that part in the film...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyL23jxyLBU
Ottervinn

Postby Silver on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Ottervinn wrote:I think some sequels are so unnecessary... lol... but one of my favourite Disney films (Rescuers Down Under) is a sequel... hm.

Aw Rescuers Down Under was AMAZING.
It really lived up to the first one! XD I love those films. They're both such good fun!
May Expo, 2010
Silver

Postby Nessie-chan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Silver wrote:
Ottervinn wrote:I think some sequels are so unnecessary... lol... but one of my favourite Disney films (Rescuers Down Under) is a sequel... hm.

It really lived up to the first one! XD I love those films. They're both such good fun!

It SURPASSED the first one.

The first one was alright... the second one was SUPERB.
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby Ottervinn on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:53 pm

Nessie-chan wrote:
Silver wrote:

Indeed. xDDD The woman's voice in the first annoyed me a bit... xD But her crocodiles were awesome.
BUT.
Not as awesome as Joanna the Goanna. xDD
Ottervinn

Postby sjbonnar on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:59 pm

Nessie-chan wrote:
Silver wrote:

This. The original is kinda meh...but the second was really good!
sjbonnar

Postby Terragal on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:32 pm

a disney classic has to be The Little Mermaid! Love it<3

Hm.. another is Beauty and the Beast!
Terragal

Postby Toadsanime on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Nessie-chan wrote:Also, upcoming Disney films... do you think they will be classics too?

I dislike the CGI Disney Classics that we have now, honestly. Though Disney stated they wouldn't be making any more 2D Classics, The Princess and the Frog is coming out relatively soon, and that's a Disney Classic and mostly 2D. I have high hopes for it. =D
Toadsanime

Postby bucolla on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:32 am

Antony and Cleopatra or the Arabian Nights? I have to read a book for english and I have narrowed it down to these two books.Which do you think is the better book? Antony and Cleopatra or the Arabian Nights?

market samurai ~ marketsamurai ~ marketsamurai.com
bucolla

Previous

Return to MOVIES