BFI London IMAX Sci-Fi All-Nighter: April 29th at 23:45

Chat about Movies here

BFI London IMAX Sci-Fi All-Nighter: April 29th at 23:45

Postby Cher2a on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Hello, fellow film fans!

Some of you may be aware, and others may not, but the end of this month has London hosting the yearly Sci-Fi London film festival, full of awesomely geeky films, new and old, from the genre we all love. As part of that festival, Sci-Fi London have teamed up with the BFI London IMAX - home to the largest screen and most sophisticated sound system within the United Kingdom - to screen an entire evening of classic science fiction. I have taken it upon myself to spread the word!

On show we have Steven Speilburg's gem, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, space western Outland, edge-of-your-seat thriller Brainstorm, and of course the infamous Stanley Kubrick masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey. This is rare opportunity to see all these brilliant cult science fiction classics on the biggest screen in Britain!

Introducing the evening's event there will be singer VV Brown and comic book creator film maker David Allain, who have worked together on several projects, including the sci-fi thriller comic book, The City Of Abacus.

There are lots of chances to win goodies during the evening, with a costume competition (I want to see plenty of Jedi, Sith, Starfleet officers, Klingons, space suits, aliens, etc... The more, the merrier! I will of course be in costume myself) and a quiz to test your science fiction knowledge, so bring your thinking caps too.

Free tea and coffee is offered at intervals between each film, and there will be plenty of time to talk geek to fellow attendees, chat to old friends and make new ones.

Tickets work out at £07.37 per film for standard entry (less for concessions), which is less than the cost of most cinemas in the center of London.

I have set up a FaceBook Group for those interested in this and any future All-Nighters at the IMAX (I go to most of them myself) here - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 0498361327 - so feel free to join to keep updated and meet like-minded individuals, and of course I have also made an Event Page for this particular All-Nighter with all the details of the films showing, cinema information, a list of attendees, etc, so check that out too, and RSVP if you plan on attending - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=159616777432293.

If you have never been to the BFI London IMAX, you are in for a treat. These films will not be taking up the entirety of the screen, but you still have the amazingly comfortable seating (especially if you pay extra for the Premium Tickets), great staff, and of course the superior surround sound. Not only that, but this is the only chance you will get to see these on the big screen, which is certainly an improvement on the living room set-up you probably have ;-)

I hope to see plenty of you there, and at future events.

Ps. I hope that this is not against the rules, it is not promoting another convention, just a film showing, and I am not being paid to do this or anything, I just wanted to personally spread the word, so it seemed alright. I apologise if it seems like spam, it was not intended to be as such. I am a professional comic book writer and budding film maker who has almost no spare time, so as much as I used to post on Forums like this when I was younger (ah, those were the days... I would talk geek twenty hours a day on dozens of forums!), I no longer have that luxury. I just wanted to “pop in” and spread the word about this All-Nighter, because I know a lot of people on this Forum would be interested. I go to a lot of these All-Nighters, and indeed to Sci-Fi London every year as a nice welcome break from my busy schedule, and I wanted to spread the word about them.
~ "I am the She-Panther. No man shall tame me... I am free." ~
~ Queen of Meep ~
Cher2a

Re: BFI London IMAX Sci-Fi All-Nighter: April 29th at 23:45

Postby Granny Gertrude on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm

It is against the rules to post items like this without permission- try emailing info@mcmexpo.net but don't be surprised if this topic disappears...
Joe 'Granny Gertrude' Sutton
Cosplay @ Expo
www.facebook.com/grannygertrude
Granny Gertrude
Board Moderator

Re: BFI London IMAX Sci-Fi All-Nighter: April 29th at 23:45

Postby Cher2a on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Granny Gertrude wrote:It is against the rules to post items like this without permission- try emailing info@mcmexpo.net but don't be surprised if this topic disappears...

See, I checked the rules and it says not to advertise conventions, etc, but no mention of film screenings, and this is not an advertisement, either, as I am just a fan posting a link to my FaceBook Group, not to the IMAX website, but if it DOES violate the rules (I suppose it is a grey area?) then they are more than welcome to delete the thread. It is their forum, after all. Also, if that is the case then this would be my first forum rules violation since I joined so very, very long ago (I used to post here every day) - lol.
~ "I am the She-Panther. No man shall tame me... I am free." ~
~ Queen of Meep ~
Cher2a

Return to MOVIES