Sweeny Todd the demon barber of fleet street

Chat about Movies here

Sweeny Todd the demon barber of fleet street

Postby nanahara on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:19 am

This turned out to be a pretty decent movie, and was sertainly different in that it was a musical. So mixing in people singing along with throats being sliced and people made into pies makes for a interesting combination.
But I'd say everyone should go and see it, and if your like me you'll have the soundtrack from it stuck in your head afterwards, cause this movie done really well in setting the atmosphere with the background sounds and the theme during the opening title. All that and its yet another Tim Burton and johnny Depp colabaration which dosent usually prove bad ether.
nanahara

Re: Sweeny Todd the demon barber of fleet street

Postby roguearcanis on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:30 pm

Really looking forward to seeing this at some point. It looks awesome!
Gwen Cooper ~ teamTARDIS (RTD Approved: 10/10/2008)
http://www.teamtardis.deviantart.com
roguearcanis

Postby The Soranator on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:34 pm

I adored it! I usually like Tim Burton movies, but it was SO cool!

I'm gonna go and see it again on Sunday (when it's officially out in the cinemas xD;;), and I've already watched it twice.
:3
The Soranator

Postby nanahara on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:00 am

nice1, a fellow Tim burton fan good stuff.
nanahara

Postby sjbonnar on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:30 am

I've been a fan of Tim Burton since I was quite young and have pretty much loved all of his movies up to this point. I think Helena Bonham Carter is awesome and Johnny Depp is such a strange (in a good way) actor! Although Efia mentioned to me that his voice in Sweeny Todd is VERY MUCH like Jack Sparrow and I don't know if I'll be able to ditch that thought LOL

I can't wait to see this! I really can't!
sjbonnar

Postby Manga Girl on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:41 pm

sjbonnar wrote:Although Efia mentioned to me that his voice in Sweeny Todd is VERY MUCH like Jack Sparrow and I don't know if I'll be able to ditch that thought LOL!

I saw a few trailers and I thought he sounded like Jack Sparrow too! XD

I'll be hoping to see the movie soon ^_^
Manga Girl

Postby Adziu on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:10 pm

He does. Here's my review from my LJ:

We went to the cinema after that, and saw the previews of Sweeny Todd. Not Tim Burton and Johnny Depp’s best collaboration, though Burton’s visual style was perfect here and Johnny Depp’s voice was impressive, even if the rhythms of his delivery and that accent made it impossible not to keep thinking of Cpt. Jack Sparrow. It was annoyingly slapdash, though, with lots of continuity problems that you’d think the editors would’ve been careful about, after the adverse publicity following the poster showing an anachronistic Big Ben clock tower: the pies boys were eating went from barely started to half-eaten to barely started again, Depp’s hand went from Helena Bonham-Carter’s waist to shoulder to waist…little annoying nitpicks that prevented me from getting absorbed in the mood that Burton otherwise deftly created with his grim lighting and nice shots of faces.

Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall got to ham it up exuberantly again, and the black humour of some of the lyrics in the middle suited Burton’s style very well, though the musical tends to be much more cartoonish with the violence and the tipping chair – not wholly sure making it shockingly visceral worked to the piece’s advantage. And I have to say, I know he takes a lot of talent to perform, but I often find Sondheim’s music lacking. He doesn’t provide nice countermelodies, he does instrumental stabs or sharp, jarring imitations of the vocal lines, and they don’t sit too well with me.

All in all, entertaining, but I feel far short of expectations.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Menchipewpew on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:13 am

Meh, you'll love it if you're a Tim Burton fan really, he never strays too far from being safe in his films and this is no different. I don't think you really notice the Jack Sparrowy performance from Johnny Depp unless you're paying far too much attention on his acting and not enough on the film.

It was definately interesting though, and yeah totally agree with Nanahara, you will have the soundtrack stuck in your head for a good while ^^
Menchipewpew

Postby Adziu on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:37 am

Menchipewpew wrote:Meh, you'll love it if you're a Tim Burton fan really, he never strays too far from being safe in his films and this is no different. I don't think you really notice the Jack Sparrowy performance from Johnny Depp unless you're paying far too much attention on his acting and not enough on the film.

It was definately interesting though, and yeah totally agree with Nanahara, you will have the soundtrack stuck in your head for a good while ^^

Way to infer I'm not a Tim Burton fan and patronise me as a viewer. What I argued was that it's his performance that jarrs you out of 'paying attention to the film', which would not otherwise have been problematic, and as a Burton fan, I can tell you that a man who casts a comic actor as Batman despite huge fan protesting, gets animal character designs rejected by Disney for being 'too much like roadkill', puts a teen idol in the lead role of a movie as a socially clueless scissor-handed recluse and immortalises the worst director of all time by making a very affectionate film about him (putting Johnny Depp in a skirt and horrible wig to do so) is most definitely someone who strays a long way from being safe.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Menchipewpew on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:54 am

Huh? I think you misunderstood my argument in more ways than one, and stating an opinion which differentiates from yours is in no way patronising. Rather, I had barely read your previous comment at all and was just saying what I thought about it personally. No need to get righteous over who's opinion on a film is better.
Menchipewpew

Postby Adziu on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:02 am

I delivered my opinion. You cast aspersions on others'. You pass judgement on the way other people watch a film, which is way beyond just giving a personal opinion, then claim I'm in the wrong for being defensive about it? Sorry, no, I will be righteous when you tell me I'm 'not paying enough attention to the film'.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Menchipewpew on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:41 am

Yes, that comment in itself tells me you misunderstood my point. Considering I didn't quote your response or even mention you any where on my reply, I don't exactly see why you've taken to relate what I said specifically to you rather than just as a broad general comment, which is how it was intended to be.

I wasn't saying YOU were not paying enough attention to the film, (which is evident in itself considering I said I barely even read your post) I meant it in reply to the other posts about it, and was just implying it's not noticable UNLESS you're paying attention to Johnny Depp. This being my opinion, I don't see how it even slightly relates to me passing judgement on how anyone should watch a film, as frankly I don't even care.

If you want to take that as a personal insult to the way you choose to watch a film, then go ahead.
Menchipewpew

Postby Adziu on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:58 am

Actually, I rather thought I was speaking for myself AND anyone else who might have felt the same. Whether or not it was personal is immaterial. I think you are wrong to say that anyone who thinks of Jack Sparrow while watching Sweeney Todd isn't paying enough attention. No more, no less. And your phrasing continues to be patronising, what with these constant unsubstantiated accusations of misunderstanding.

You must've been talking about someone to have even broached the accent question. Given that only three of us have been discussing it, I deem it perfectly acceptable to apply what you said to me. It wasn't a direct ad hominem attack, but it was still an aspersion cast on me because of what I had said - I was included in the group you were commenting on. I don't think there was any malice involved, and I'm not assuming you were acting out of any kind of viciousness or spite. I just think you are wrong about paying attention (I think whether or not you're paying special attention to Depp's acting, it will be noticeable; fair enough, our opinions differ on that, but to say that because of my opinion I'm not paying enough attention to the film is what I find objectionable), and also wrong about Tim Burton's direction being 'safe'. I think that if you don't want to offend anyone, you shouldn't pass judgement on others when you give your opinions, which you can't deny you did. Whether or not it was aimed directly at me doesn't matter: I can only speak for myself, but I was included in both groups you mentioned, so reacted against what you said about 'us'.

Unless you can substantiate the reason why one would have to be not 'paying attention to the film' if they notice the similarity in performances, or the ways in which Tim Burton could contextually be called a 'safe' director, I will consider the discussion closed before it gets any more out-of-proportion than it already is.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Menchipewpew on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:10 am

You can't possibly substantiate the reason for that, as the predicate is within the subject, which would then make anything I say a contradiction. By "safe" I did not mean safe in casting or plot, I meant in genre type. It would be rediculous to deny that his films are much varied, as say opposed to Stanley Kubrick (Orange Clockwork - Lolita). I meant you would like this film if you liked his previous ones as they all contain similar elements.

Since I've already watched the film, noticed the Jack Sparrowy mannerism, and payed too much attention on Depp (for multiple reasons may I add) rather than the story, I was just speaking from personal experiences. I didn't mean to imply that anyone else had done the same, and still don't see how I have.

But yes I didn't mean any offence by it, and certanly there was no spite involved. I might have expressed myself the wrong way, but since English is my 3rd language that happens often, and I hope no one took it the wrong way. At least one thing we can agree on is that this is certanly out-of-proportion.
Menchipewpew

Postby Adziu on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:41 am

Menchipewpew wrote:It would be rediculous to deny that his films are much varied, as say opposed to Stanley Kubrick (Orange Clockwork - Lolita). I meant you would like this film if you liked his previous ones as they all contain similar elements.

Kubrick was a visionary and maverick, but of the living mainstream directors, Gilliam and Burton come closest, so I disagree. Just about no-one in Hollywood is more varied and idiosyncratic. Big Fish, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, Batman and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure are about as far apart as Clockwork Orange, Lolita, 2001, Dr. Strangelove and The Shining. And then there's Burton's animation work too. So call me ridiculous if you like, but I deny his films lack variety (which I assume you meant, given the Kubrick comparison).

Since I've already watched the film, noticed the Jack Sparrowy mannerism, and payed too much attention on Depp (for multiple reasons may I add) rather than the story, I was just speaking from personal experiences. I didn't mean to imply that anyone else had done the same, and still don't see how I have.

'You're paying far too much attention on his acting and not enough on the film.' Who is this 'you' if not everybody, which encompasses 'anyone else'?

But yes I didn't mean any offence by it, and certanly there was no spite involved. I might have expressed myself the wrong way, but since English is my 3rd language that happens often, and I hope no one took it the wrong way. At least one thing we can agree on is that this is certanly out-of-proportion.

You've largely ignored all that I said. Well, Burton being safe we can leave to one side, but you were telling everyone that if they think something while watching the film, they need to pay more attention to it, and I just think that's wrong, that's all.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Menchipewpew on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:55 am

You've largely ignored all that I said. Well, Burton being safe we can leave to one side, but you were telling everyone that if they think something while watching the film, they need to pay more attention to it, and I just think that's wrong, that's all.

What? Are you serious? I don't even think you're understanding what I'm trying to say here, you've taken the tiniest of things and completely distorted it! I was TRYING to reason maturely and try and put through my opinion/ what I intended to say, but obviously it's not working, so let me just finish this dispute -

I DON'T CARE.

I could go on and write more and try and explain myself in more depth, but then I figured that I don't have to just for a comment being dramaticised far beyond what it meant. If this was a debate over global warming or finding a cure for world hunger fine, but then I remembered it's a FILM.

Srsly, care cup is empty. Feel free to go on posting, for I am obviously the type of girl that rejoices at telling people I've never met that they're watching a movie wrong. :roll:
Menchipewpew

Postby Adziu on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:01 am

Oh well, can't be helped!

/last word
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby sjbonnar on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm of half a mind to delete both of your comments for the past few ¬_¬ It's kinda ridiculous. As an outside observer I can say right now that you're both wrong.

Adziu: I think you took it too personally

Menchipewpew: I think you misunderstood what Adziu was trying to say.

Now it's over ¬_¬ Squabbling over personal opinion is ridiculous.
sjbonnar

Postby Deidara-Chan on Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:26 pm

i love this film one of the best ones ive seen actually.

me and my friend are actually gonna start a sweeney todd and mrs lovett cosplay soon ^^
Expo Oct 09
Saturday: Vincent Valentine
Sunday: Hatori - Fruits Basket
Deidara-Chan

Postby The Soranator on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:08 pm

Deidara-Chan wrote:i love this film one of the best ones ive seen actually.

me and my friend are actually gonna start a sweeney todd and mrs lovett cosplay soon ^^

Omg, I was gonna try and make Mrs Lovett's dress (the one in "By the sea", coz it was beautiful) xD But my construction skills aren't quiet that good...

Good look with it :P
:3
The Soranator

Postby Kirst on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:52 pm

I'm off to see it tonight ^__^
Kirst

Postby sjbonnar on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:40 am

I can't believe I still haven't seen this T_T
sjbonnar

Postby Lanowar on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:09 pm

I liked it but the price of cinema tickets always frustrates me this was'nt worth watching in the cinema. I still remember some people in the cinema being suprised that it was a musical that said I recall saying "there's a bit at the end" out loud to a friend and seeing how many people actually waited thinking there was.
Lanowar

Postby MrsLovett on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:07 pm

I LOVE that film! Seriously...I am mad about it O.o;; I'm working on making Mrs Lovett's blue dress from by the sea for the MCM Expo in May ^-^
MrsLovett

Postby zaikrafu on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:55 pm

Yerr I loved this film too :D Have the Dvd, Lolz// And of course as always a great film by TimBurton featuring the great Johnny Depp =)
zaikrafu

Next

Return to MOVIES