New Series of Doctor Who

Chat about everything Dr Who here

Postby jacko360 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:04 pm

i am intrested to see how long they keep the doctor comparing rose to martha and when the doctor accepts martha as an assistant in her own right
this weeks one was good again too
jacko360

Postby Raye-chan on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:42 pm

This weeks episode was very good, its a shame they only have one a week! I think they should bring the Judon back to do a funny dance they just made me laugh 'you human' tehe x
Never, Never, Never Give Up :3
Raye-chan

Postby Dark Moxx on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Raye-chan wrote: its a shame they only have one a week!

I know we've gotta wait till next saturday now, I'm not gonna be able to cope! This series seems to be as good as ever, I loved all the shakespeare jokes, to be or not to be etc. I need to wait a little longer before I decide if Martha's as good as Rose, she seems to be doing ok at the moment, suitably different!
When the coffees good, so is everything else!
Dark Moxx

Postby Lycoris on Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:20 pm

I have to say I've not enojyed this series as much as the last two. The Shakespeare jokes I found repetitive really, it was used way too much. Gonna keep watching though but it's just not as exciting I find.
Lycoris

Postby faramon on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:06 am

once a week is good enough or it kinda ruins it .. like when i watched up to season two of lost in a few days and we were only half way through first season at the time.

But i keep meaning to some how download and watch this at some point should be good.
faramon

Postby MrsChumphy on Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:50 pm

Wow I Doctor Who...DT is so awesome! "Ahhh...other heart! A little to the left!" XP I thought that ep was really good, but Martha was a little flat in this one I thought. Shakespeare was good. I can't wait for next week...FACE OF BOE!! XD Yay, secrets.
ガタガタ ブルブル ニャアニャア でたいへんなのです
ニパー!
MrsChumphy

Postby Raye-chan on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:31 am

Yeah the great face of Boe makes me giggle ^.^ I like how BBC Three have Doctor Who confidential after every episode it gives the show more backround which is really interesting ^.^ I dont think Martha will ever replace Rose but it will be good to see how she copes if she falls for the Doctor! And how ugly were those witches ARGH!
Raye-chan

Postby Ktan on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:48 pm

I noticed 'Vote Saxon' on a poster in the background, something which featured in 'Love and Monsters' (Series two, Absorbaloff)IIRC, but whether that is just continuity or a word arc, I don't know. Plus, I didn't recall a reference to 'Saxon' during the Shakespeare one.

I though Dean Lennox Kelley was awesome as Shakespeare. I caught a little bit of Dr. Who confidential, and I think that saying 'rock star' summed the character up very well.

No idea what Boe will say, but I'm looking forward to it too. What's the guessing it will be related to the 'word arc' this series? If my suspicions are right about Saxon, it could even merely be 'Saxon' or whatever else the word arc is. I reckon it will be one of those cryptic things, where you only know the meaning when it's reached the end of the series.

I think the wider appeal of Dr. Who is the fact that apart from the Doctor himself and all his stuff, it's more about humans that the science fiction. Look at how many episodes have been set on Earth in the past few series. Almost all of them, and, if not, it's set in a human dominated society. Maybe this makes it easier for non-Sci-Fi people to relate to. If you look at Star Trek(<3), in particular, there's more about fancy technology and references to all kind of nerdy science. Dr Who kind of glosses over the lecture, and sometimes it's approach to science is just to use the Tardis as a Deus Ex Machina and write over the laws of physics :P

I think possibly, it's the look at humanity, not science. While he's so eccentric, the Doctor is very 'human' and the series is well grounded in people, less so in science. (Especially when you look at things like the Cyberwoman episode of Torchwood. The explanation didn't seem sensible, but that's a debate for another day.)

Of course, it also has the heritage. Back in the day, everyone watched it, hiding behind the sofas, so maybe that enthusiasm has been passed on form parent to child. Also, there's a mix of things. I love Dr. Who for the monsters and the science (Cybermen = Epic Win). I personally did not like the infamous 'gas-mask' child two-parter, but my Mum loved it, because it reminded her of how creepy Dr. Who used to be. Meanwhile, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Judoon may not have been a hit, when it comes to serious monsters, like the Cybermen or Daleks, but I loved the sheer cheesiness of them.

And maybe that's it. Maybe the strength and appeal is that it doesn't take itself seriously, in some ways. If it took itself seriously, it would probably be embarrassing and that 'I are broody and realistic, grrr...' tone put me off the recent 'update' of Robin Hood.

However, if think the Doctors too are the key. Eccleston and Tennant's performances were very charismatic. They do have a lovable rouge are about them.

Oh, and yes, Amethyst: Chumphy and I should crash your house. Even if it is just so I can write 'Cybermen >>>> Daleks' on your windows in your own lipstick or permanent marker :P
With Duty and Service.
Real Life friend of Mrs Chumphy.
(+ amethyst eyes + sazmaphone...oh my!)
Ktan

Postby Crazedteensie on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:03 pm

Rudeth wrote:Why are so many girls interested in Dr Who? (It can't just be Tennent.)

It -is- just Tennant. XD

Anyway, from the less fangirly point of view, Doctor Who is just Sci Fi with EMOTIONS and RELATIONSHIPS. It's just a little bit girlier than most Sci Fi's I've seen, while still retaining it's manly qualities. XD
Crazedteensie

Postby Raye-chan on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:05 pm

Yeah! and it have David Tennant hehehe go casanova man!
Raye-chan

Postby Crazedteensie on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Who else loved this week? 8D It had the potential to be rubbish, since most of it was filmed in cars, but I loved it XD
Crazedteensie

Postby faramon on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:23 pm

oh god damn i have to go and download right now this instant .... one sec hungry ... ^^
faramon

Postby Lycoris on Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:33 am

I thought this week's episode was better but still not nearly as good as the first series. Plus the guy who plays Dougal in Father Ted was in it and he's always great. Daleks next week...meh, I'll be watching but I'm still not excited.
Lycoris

Postby Raye-chan on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:43 pm

I thought Ardal O'Hanlon was really funny as the cat man hehehe, i thought the episode was good but i think the face of boe could have given out more secrets than he did (i think i missed it but the only thing i remember was 'your not alone'). I did get really frustrated with all the standstill cars too grrrr!

Maybe there’s another timelord woooop wooop ^.^ doubtful thou .

Daleks next week (run hide) id love to fight a Darlek Feb midlands expo attendees were so lucky (the battle is somewhere on youtube).
Raye-chan

Postby Ktan on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:44 pm

IMO, the ending was beautiful. The rest of the episode was a little flat, but I think the Emotion patches were a very interesting idea.

Surprised the Daleks are back so early, I was expecting them at the end of the series. Then again, they probably will be in the final two-parter too.

Still missing my Cybermen.
With Duty and Service.
Ktan

Postby Shinji Ikari on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:21 pm

Im loving the Dalek Sec update take a look at the next level of Dalek evolushion the Dalek creature
Shinji Ikari

Postby CrystalNeko on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:34 pm

ROFL I loved the emotion patch idea XD... very random xP

And I think the new series is pretty good =]... I prefer Rose but then again Martha has only just begun so maybe it'll get more interesting. But the end of that motorway episode was really touching... ha i can't wait til saturday now... the return of the daleks >D
CrystalNeko

Postby Raye-chan on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Roll on saturday! Exterminate! hehehe ^.^ x what we need is a anime/manga patch so we can walk around watching episodes in our heads - how random (ive thought into this too much!)
Raye-chan

Postby Ktan on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 pm

*LOL SPOLIERZ!*

To be honest, it's not making sense to me, at the moment. I mean, when you are impervious to almost all ballistic weapons and able to fly, becoming part human seems rather idiotic, and, frankly, I don't think it's going to work for reproduction purposes...>.>

I'm sure they'll come up with a good reason, but lately, especially with the 'Cyberwoman' strange hybrids between humans and aliens (that are actually at a disadvantage to their original species) seem to be becoming a trend that really needs to be bucked.

Otherwise, it was enjoyable, and the whole 'they are vulnerable' thing not only intrigues me but suggest there is a reason why Sec decided to get himself a human body.

It's an interesting idea, but at the moment it seems a little illogical.
With Duty and Service.
Ktan

Postby Raye-chan on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:56 pm

Read in the paper that Kyle Minogue is gana be a Cyber Woman haha, any hoo the episode was ok i was really annoyed it was on at a stupid time 6.35pm missed 10 minutes of the beginning its usually on at 7pm!!! grrr, any hoo the line ' I am a Human Dalek' was well funny - looked like a octapus on his head HAHA TENTACLEEEESS!
Raye-chan

Postby Cher2a on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:11 pm

Meh... Just a quick note on my opinion...

Not that great.
It'll get better, though... Trust me.

Ps. Something random me and Ian did a long, long time ago... We were going to do it for my radio station that I work for but in the end we thought feck it who cares its long and stuff, so just for your amusement... http://geekcher2a.livejournal.com/42702.html
~ "I am the She-Panther. No man shall tame me... I am free." ~
~ Queen of Meep ~
Cher2a

Postby Lycoris on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:02 pm

I have to agree Cher, really not that great. Last episode was better but still not up to the standard I'm used to from Doctor Who.
Lycoris

Postby Raye-chan on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:12 am

Saturdays episode was..................................... AWSOME! FANTASTIC! Deleks blown to smitherines was great, not one but two! Delek / Timelord / Human DNA mmyayahaha! too much greatness! ^.^ Roll on next week want to see Tenants action jump in the air from flames mode haha! ^.^
Raye-chan

Postby Crazedteensie on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:18 am

Is it me, or are the Daleks getting less and less scary every time they bring them back? D:
Crazedteensie

Postby Cher2a on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Definately.
Not only that, but they are getting BORING.
I get that every Doctor needs to face the Daleks... I get that, hence why they were in both of the last seasons, but this seemed entirely pointless, and the entire plot defiled both the characters of the Doctor and the Daleks... The plot was diar and the script completely lacked the humour that makes the diar plots still worth watching. My boyfriend's father watched it with us, and he FELL ASLEEP it was that dull... Really, really disappointing. It had potential... But it just didn't work.
~ "I am the She-Panther. No man shall tame me... I am free." ~
~ Queen of Meep ~
Cher2a

PreviousNext

Return to DOCTOR WHO