Alternative animes!

Chat about Japanese Culture and anything that does not go into other sections

Alternative animes!

Postby Hydrokarbon on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:06 pm

I love Expo, I really really do, but in my last two visits and whilst lurking on the forums... I've noticed a huuuge pattern.

What I'm talking about is the bazillion and one Bleach/Naruto/FMA/Death Note fans and cosplayers that are pretty much dominating the place. Don't get me wrong at all, I think all of them are great shows and I really do enjoy them, but is this really all that alot of the MCM expo-goers watch/read? I'm curious cause there's so many great animes and mangas out there that rarely seem to get much of a mention at the Expo, like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Le Chevalier D'eon, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Kateyo Hitman Reborn (GREAT to see a cosplay group for this on the forums ^ ^) Trinity Blood (awesome cosplayer in Oct 07 Masquerade) and a whole lot more out there.

So what does everyone else think? Are there any other series that you think are being missed out at the Expo? What do you think would be great to see cosplayed?
Hydrokarbon

Re: Alternative animes!

Postby Adziu on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:37 pm

If you mean officially, then the stores will obviously cater for what's popular, and supply merchandise they think will sell.

When it comes to the fandom, the big shounen series will always dominate because they're the most accessible and popular over here. But other than Chevalier, none of the series you've mentioned are really non-mainstream, and I'll expect to see several cosplayers from those series there. I've seen cosplayers at expo from shows/games like Gakuen Alice, Touhou and Kujibiki Unbalance. The fact is that people will cosplay what they wanna cosplay, and some want to pay tribute to their favourite obscure shows while others want to be part of big groups - or are simply only fans of the shows you mentioned, but still wanna join in. I've been there both as part of Naruto groups and in cosplays that went entirely unrecognised (no-one knew who I was in my Kekkaishi or MAR costumes), and there are pros and cons to each approach.

I guarantee you that if you go both days you'll see Trinity Blood, SamCham, Gurren Lagann and most likely Bebop cosplays too. But they're nowhere near as popular as Naruto, and that will be reflected.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Hydrokarbon on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:41 pm

Oh no no no, I'm not just talking about non-mainstream stuff at all, and I know the ones I mentioned are popular albeit on a smaller scale, I wasn't saying that there's anything wrong with the cosplayers, I really am just curious as to what else is out there, but you do make a very good point with the main fandoms being the ones that are mostly accessible over here, it wasn't something I'd considered. I know the expo provides a wide range of animes and mangas for all, it's just from what I've seen from other conventions is that there seems to be a broader range in what people cosplay/like.

Ice climber, I didn't say I find a problem with the Naruto cosplayers, for the most part, like most cosplayers, they are a really fun bunch, I don't mind if they all likethe same thing. Read my posts properly please D: I wasn't insulting anyone, just seeing what other people thought of the range present at the expo.
Hydrokarbon

Postby dwinky on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:34 pm

It's awesome to see Naruto cosplayers and see the plans for the big groups. But I think I definitely get more excited when I meet people planing stuff like Kuji-Un, Yakitate!, Katamari and the smaller and more obscure series' (SOMEONE PLEEEAAASE cosplay Yakitate! Japan XDD! <33)! I think that if you cosplay too much from one series and stop watching/reading other stuff you can get... closseted in just that and it's just incestuous lulz XD. Epic series can get you really involved and you can devote a lot of fantime to them, but you sometimes forget the awesome-ness of new stuff!

I think I have been suprised sometimes when I've met people who have ONLY watched Naruto and ONLY read Death Note and arn't interested in anything else because they think they've already found the best. Variety is the spice of life 8D! I also think it's strange when people I've talked to have said they're not really that into Naruto/Bleach but they're going to cosplay them just because it's popular or they need to be in a group. Doesn't that defeat the object of cosplay where you do it to show love for the character and the series? You should cosplay what you love and who cares if no one else recognises you! But yeah, it is strange how not as many people cosplay from the series' you've mentioned - nothing to do with mainstream or anything as you said, but just.... people don't seem to cosplay those characters as often. Love to see the whole crew from Cowboy Bebop! Imagine EPIC HUGE GROUP Bebop cosplay XD! There's EPIC HUGE group Naruto and Bleach cosplays quite often (which is great!) but I think having EPIC HUGE GROUPS is generally good with any series 8D! *imagines all the bakers from Yakitate!Japan in a line up*

I don't really get what you meant Ice Climber OwO;;?
<b>Visit my http://dwinky.deviantart.com and I'll hug you ^_^</b>
dwinky

Postby MasakoX on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:26 pm

The fact of the matter is that these shows are massive draws here in the UK. Naruto and Bleach have been marketed more here than other shows whereas shows like Death Note and FMA got their fame from the internet and then subsequent DVD sales. In the next few years, I'm sure that we'll start to see more underrated anime crop up; but the anime industry here is only just beginning to penetrate into the public forum...up until now it's been firmly an underground fixture.

Not only that, but shows like Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh are lengthy titles which can air on pretty much any network and fair decently. Most anime aren't over 100 episodes long, the majority are either 13 or 26 at most. Until now, there's not been a dedicated place that would commit to a relatively short-term product; but now we got one (Anime Central) this should help the lesser known anime series get the recognition that they deserve.

That doesn't necessarily mean that obscure anime/cosplay isn't around - it's always nice to see a cosplayer from a lesser known show (Like the Dokuro-chan I saw in October. :P )
MasakoX

Postby Adziu on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:25 am

dwinky wrote:SOMEONE PLEEEAAASE cosplay Yakitate! Japan XDD! <33

Been there, etc.

http://cosplayisland.co.uk/costume/view/1418
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby ryaoki on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:13 am

hehe well i watch all the anime you mentioens, haha love hit man reborn soo random and hilarious, but yeaa if you look deeper youll find all the classic anime at expo just like cowboy bebop and i still watch it
ryaoki

Postby Zoutei on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:30 pm

i cant say i have a problem with the popular stuff, Naruto was probably one of my eearly anime&manga obbsessions, Bleach was alright and Death Note is fantastic. the only thing i could really complain about was at October expo some Death note cosplayers kinda did, er...how do i put this, a spoiler cosplayer, and their friend went around with a sign bassically telling the ending of death note >_< that kinda got to me. other then that there were only two other things, one was the Cosplayers who went around with a free hug sign, and the flinched a mile away when you went for a hug XD and how fast Kingdom hearts got popular! O_O well, i say KH, i mean the organisation... okay that's not a complaint, more of a whoa! when did that happen? i'd be a hypocrite if i were to a complain, KH is one of my favorite fandoms.
Zoutei

Postby Adziu on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Well, quite. These things don't get popular for any reason but that they are enjoyable and well-crafted. So what if they're populist?

I just think it's unfortunate when people will turn their backs on something simply because it's popular.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Zoutei on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:40 pm

oh i'm not saying that i'd quit liking it merely for that reason, i guess it's just experience from my first con where if somethings popular, it's usually liked by the eiltist groups and even if you like it it's kinda like "go away you N00b." sort of attitude, but Expo's not like that, i'm glad i went in the end because after my first con i was slightly put off only to realise that, well, Expo's pretty damn awesome. :D
Zoutei

Postby Adziu on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Zoutei wrote:oh i'm not saying that i'd quit liking it merely for that reason, i guess it's just experience from my first con where if somethings popular, it's usually liked by the eiltist groups and even if you like it it's kinda like "go away you N00b." sort of attitude, but Expo's not like that, i'm glad i went in the end because after my first con i was slightly put off only to realise that, well, Expo's pretty damn awesome. :D

Oh, I didn't mean you - I was speaking more generally.

As for elitism, well, I laugh in an elitist way at anyone who feels the need to be elitist over anime. Including myself, on occasion.

Mods: shouldn't this be in the Japanese Culture>anime section rather than here?
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby sjbonnar on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm

Difficult to say since it was asking about expo specifically...then it went off on a tangent. I'll move it for now since the talk of expo has completely gone away to another discussion.
sjbonnar

Postby animefan on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Adziu wrote:Well, quite. These things don't get popular for any reason but that they are enjoyable and well-crafted. So what if they're populist?

I just think it's unfortunate when people will turn their backs on something simply because it's popular.

However people have a tendancy to turn their backs on anime becuase it's not well known same for manga!

How many of you can say you own Kashi Mashi Mangas? or have even heard of it?
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby Adziu on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:31 am

What? Kashimashi~girl meets girl~ was as big a hit as you can get while still being underground. It had its own Animesuki forum and everything. So...um, yes, I can. I watched it all when it was an anime.

As to the point that people turn their backs on obscure manga...I'm not sure that's quite right - but yes, it tends to take word-of-mouth and recommendations from friends to get them started. And there are series that might be considered more niche than others - for example, ones about boys being turned into girls by aliens and then still having two female classmates compete for their affections.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby animefan on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:41 am

Adziu wrote:What? Kashimashi~girl meets girl~ was as big a hit as you can get while still being underground. It had its own Animesuki forum and everything. So...um, yes, I can. I watched it all when it was an anime.

Oh maybe it's just me then, I just have so many problems finding those Manga, only managed to find 1,2 and 4 and like every place I got them, it was only one I saw there.

1- Fobbinden Planet Central London
2 - London Expo
4 - Obital Manga

0/6 used to be hard to get, now it's everywhere but apparently its Manhwa?
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby Adziu on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:10 pm

I can see official distribution over here making it hard to get, admittedly.

I've never heard of 0/6, on the other hand, but I don't have much experience with manhwa.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby animefan on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:11 pm

Adziu wrote:I can see official distribution over here making it hard to get, admittedly.

I've never heard of 0/6, on the other hand, but I don't have much experience with manhwa.

Nor do I really, but everywhere seems to assuming its Manga and it's enough like it, basically I think its Manga but Chinese!
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby Adziu on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:28 pm

Manhwa is Korean. I don't really get my manga from shops.

On the other hand, a bit closer to the topic, I've seen lots of people cosplay nice outfits from manhwa, and yes, the art styles I've seen tend to be very close to manga, especially shoujo manga.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby animefan on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:33 pm

This is the one I'm talking about

everyones selling it off real cheap at the moment, Obital, FP, and of course Blackwells are doing their 3 for 2 and the happen to have it!
Ryzy-San

animefan

Postby Fullmetal_Dani on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:57 pm

Ill be doing a Basilisk group at either Japex or Oct expo!
Fullmetal_Dani
Board Moderator

Postby Odd-One-Out on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Did KHR pop up a few times?!

Good gosh, it's certainly cropped up a lot more since last year when I first read it. It's great that people are starting to branch out to the lesser known series that are equally as good.

Another one - Code Geass. At first no-one had heard of it but now people are beginning to recognise it and even cosplay it!
Odd-One-Out

Postby Adziu on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Odd-One-Out wrote:Did KHR pop up a few times?!

Good gosh, it's certainly cropped up a lot more since last year when I first read it. It's great that people are starting to branch out to the lesser known series that are equally as good.

Another one - Code Geass. At first no-one had heard of it but now people are beginning to recognise it and even cosplay it!

There were some Geass cosplayers last year...but yeah, they'd probably be much more recognised now. I never liked Lelouche, though, personally.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Odd-One-Out on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:07 pm

I don't really like Lelouch either, he seems like a stuck up little boy who didn't get what he wanted when he was little.
I must also add, the Britannian royal family's formal attire is extremely smart and attractive!

Gintama... a series that is on my 'to watch' list. Yes, Vampire Ryosuke's friend did cosplay as Sakata Gintoki, and I think they have plans to form a Gintama group sooner or later.
Odd-One-Out

Postby CrystalNeko on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:23 pm

I couldn't really get into Gintama when I watched the first two episodes D= Either I was tired/busy and wasn't paying attention properly or something else xD; I do like the costumes in the show though... and it's a pretty popular anime right now so I might try watching on sometime xD... eventually xP Same goes for KHR

But anyways... just to keep with the topic...
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has become pretty popular now that the dub has been released... I know quite a few of my online friends are into it [and so am I x3] yet it's so under cosplayed! D8 I have yet to see a Higurashi cosplay in person... Though I am planning a Casual Rena for the -distant- future xD... I love her weapon! 8D Also possibly either a Mion or Shion cosplay... it gives me an excuse to have green hair and have a funny psycho laugh XDD Then again I guess it's under cosplayed as the costumes are all pretty simple xP

Also the lack of Rozen maiden cosplayers kinda suprises me xD I know there are a few every now and then but I especially rarely see Barasuishou, Kirakishou, Kanaria and Hinaichigo... unless I'm blind as a bat xD... Oooh and I would LOV to see some Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei cosplays... though again the costumes are pretty simple... Mainly as it's just a teacher wearing a yutaka and several people wearing sailor fukus xD... But it would be nice to see some Zetsubo cosplays still xP... even though I still haven't finished the series yet xD;;

And just as a personal thing I'd love to see more cosplays on Arina Tanemura characters xD... But hey I know most of her stuff isn't that overly popular apart from Full Moon so I guess that's kinda pushing it xD;
CrystalNeko

Postby Adziu on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 am

CrystalNeko wrote:I couldn't really get into Gintama when I watched the first two episodes D= Either I was tired/busy and wasn't paying attention properly or something else xD; I do like the costumes in the show though... and it's a pretty popular anime right now so I might try watching on sometime xD... eventually xP Same goes for KHR

Me neither. I didn't like the first episode. Maybe I should watch more.

But anyways... just to keep with the topic...
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has become pretty popular now that the dub has been released... I know quite a few of my online friends are into it [and so am I x3] yet it's so under cosplayed! D8 I have yet to see a Higurashi cosplay in person...

There was a Rena last expo.

Also the lack of Rozen maiden cosplayers kinda suprises me xD I know there are a few every now and then but I especially rarely see Barasuishou, Kirakishou, Kanaria and Hinaichigo... unless I'm blind as a bat xD...

There's usually at least one Rozen Maiden cosplayer at a con. Kira will be lesser-cosplayed thanks to virtually not being in the anime. And Bara, too, for not having much of a character.

Oooh and I would LOV to see some Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei cosplays...

Agreed! I've seen one or two of Nozomu online which are very distinctive - that's a good idea.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Next

Return to JAPANESE CULTURE CHAT