DC or Marvel

Chat about everything Comic related here unless it relates to MCM Expo then you should discuss it in the Comics Village section

Which comic publishing company do you like the most?

DC
28%
Marvel
72%

Total votes : 43

DC or Marvel

Postby faramon on Sun May 13, 2007 7:23 am

Which do you favour, i personally despise DC in its entirety barring only the kindom come Graphic novel which just has to be read, for the artwork and story. For everything else though i swing over to marvel, with my great love of the puniser and many more fine superheros.

but who do you choose ....

[remember vote in the poll j00 foo's :D^^]
faramon

Postby bastila on Sun May 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Marvel by miles, better characters, stories and I just think they are better then DC, only decent hero DC has is Batman.
bastila

Postby faramon on Mon May 14, 2007 8:08 am

bastila wrote:only decent hero DC has is Batman.

Yep i must say i sometimes enjoy the odd Batman, but thats simply because he is so Dark :D
faramon

Postby saigan on Fri May 18, 2007 11:53 am

Voted for DC cause they publish Green Lantern and until it ended at issue 100 my all time fav. comic Azrael.
To this day i still kick myself for missing Barry Kitson (favourite azrael artist)at my local comic store.
saigan

Postby liam-monkey on Fri May 18, 2007 7:13 pm

marvel, i mean think about it, spider-man or batman, the green goblin or the joker? its spider-man and green goblin, wolverine or magneto? the green arrow or tooth face, u get the idea? meh who ami sounding like a big shot....
liam-monkey

Postby Adziu on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:33 pm

Marvel all the way - I've always loved the X-Men, and the recent development of The Fantastic Four, Dr Strange and Iron Man have made me start to like characters I never used to.

DC's regular rostrum don't tend to interest me much, though JLA has been getting some awesome art with that recent limited run, and even Superman stories have been sporadically interesting. Batman, I think, thrives mostly on its interesting bad guys, which are manifold. Overall, though, Marvel has the much better, more interesting, more varied and more intricate universe.

Then again, DC DOES have Vertigo, with the Sandman, V for Vendetta et al. They give the company a pretty major boost.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby nanahara on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:19 pm

I went with marvel, it's the comic company I buy most from, and have always been a fan of more than DC. Although I have liked the odd DC comic here and there, espically Azrael, that was a cool character.
nanahara

Postby sjbonnar on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:34 pm

Close call. I love Marvel's characters and storylines, but I love the entire wave of DC stuff.

I caught up on old comics online, such as the Green Arrow/Green Lantern series. Plus, playing VS System trading card game taught me much.

I'll go DC for now because of the darker attitude generally and the hard-hitting issues.
sjbonnar

Postby Adziu on Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:38 pm

I shifted slightly towards DC after reading 'Kingdom Come', but then scurried back towards Marvel after 'The Kingdom' left a bad taste in my mouth...
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby shunasassie on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:16 am

I like IDW comics (zombies & vampries stuff)

but I do like Marvel's characters & will read some stuff
If I had a tail, I'd be chasing it

shunasassie

Postby sarak on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:29 am

Adziu wrote:I shifted slightly towards DC after reading 'Kingdom Come', but then scurried back towards Marvel after 'The Kingdom' left a bad taste in my mouth...

Rofl I had the same thing, The Kingdom almost made me fall over in its inepttude. >.<

Also I do love a lot fo the off shoot comic companies but since they are generally just for a single comic I don't generally mention much of tem except for say The Walking Dead which is absolutly great.
sarak

Postby Lanowar on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 pm

DC has some great stuff, Batman (any of Jeph Loeb's Batman stuff), Kingdom Come, Booster Gold, Vertigo stuff like Fables, Blue Beetle, Teen Titans but overall Countdown is so bad it's left me with a sour DC taste.

Marvel has Deadpool and the New Avengers which already gets me on there side.

IDW also does Transformers which is amazing and the best TF stuff I've read in ages.
Lanowar

Re: DC or Marvel

Postby Berserk667 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:28 am

I'm a marvel fan. I used to really like X-men alot (sabretooth being my fave). Now i have been thinking about swaying towards the mighty avengers cos i love ares so much.His armour design rocks!

O and Kingdom Come was also the only DC novel i have bought and it ROCKED

its a shame that people don't cosplay comic book characters enough. (BATMAN AND JOKER at May 2008 expo were awesome)

I would like to cosplay Ares but not many people would recogize me :(
Berserk667

Postby Adziu on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:11 pm

Kingdom Come!! That's what it was called. I'd forgotten and it was annoying me.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby roy-me-boy on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 pm

The old DC for me,though i`m talking the original heroes i grew up with in the 60s and 70s.Metal Men The Atom(Ray Palmer) The Flash( Barry Allen),Green Lantern(Al Jordan).Jimmy Olsen,Lois Lane.I have all these comics right from no 1 and love re-reading them.I`m stuck in a time warp i suppose ! LOL.
roy-me-boy

Postby zaikrafu on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Ahh my god,I haven't voted yet, cause I can't decide!! I like both xD
zaikrafu

Postby Adziu on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:39 am

I've been reading a lot more DC recently, and enjoyed some quite a lot, like Identity Crisis and Arkham Asylum, but my heart is still with Marvel.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby zaikrafu on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Wow thats a coincidence. . I was only just reading Arkham Asylum, Lolz =) Its very good I must say.
zaikrafu

Postby Adziu on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Should also mention The Killing Joke. I liked that rather more. But then, I've never been a big Grant Morrison fan, and that's after reading copious amounts of The Invisibles.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby zaikrafu on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am

Adziu wrote:Should also mention The Killing Joke. I liked that rather more. But then, I've never been a big Grant Morrison fan, and that's after reading copious amounts of The Invisibles.

Ohh yes The Killing Joke was good too =)
zaikrafu

Postby EIDOLON on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:17 am

DC v.s Marvel? Both of them are great !! :D
EIDOLON

Re:

Postby RobertoThe2nd on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:19 am

bastila wrote:Marvel by miles, better characters, stories and I just think they are better then DC, only decent hero DC has is Batman.

Black Adam would have words with you. Hell, most of the JSA would have words with you.
I vote DC, largely because Marvel's being run by the likes of Quesada, who thinks that magic retcons can replace decent story-telling, and Jeph Loeb, who's managed to ruin the Ultimates with a single stroke.

*holds up flame shield*
May 2009, saturday: Either Starman (Jack Knight) or Schwarzwald (Big O). Help me decide!
RobertoThe2nd

Postby Adziu on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Black Adam? Not the case I'd put forward that far. The whole Marvel family have to be treated very carefully or their appearance always ends up really cheesy.

I was actually thinking about this recently, and it struck me that the major players of the Avengers can carry films of their own: there's been Iron Man, Hulk and as well as the various X-Men who've been in the group being in the X-Men movies. Thor, Captain America and Black Panther movies are apparently in the making. Spiderman was in the New Avengers, too.

Whereas the JLA...well, obviously at the centre is Batman and Superman, who have great movies. Wonder Woman is apparently also in the works, but the rest? Green Arrow JUST possibly...but Martian Manhunter? Aquaman? Atom? They can't carry a movie. I'm even dubious about Flash. Green Lantern would likely work, though - at least as well as some of the Marvel line-up.

Obviously the Avengers have their duds as well. But it just feels like Superman and Batman totally overshadow everyone else.

A movie of Identity Crisis, on the other hand, would be frickin' awesome.
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby EIDOLON on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:52 pm

Indeed, an identity crisis film would be good, minus the return of Jason Todd. :P
EIDOLON

Postby RobertoThe2nd on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:15 am

Adziu wrote:Black Adam? Not the case I'd put forward that far. The whole Marvel family have to be treated very carefully or their appearance always ends up really cheesy.

Oh certainly, but of late Black Adam's come into his own, as made evident by JSA, 52, and his own mini. The rest of the family seems to have suffered a bit though, especially Mary Marvel...

I do agree with your point about the movies, though. Although I think the Flash could carry a movie, you're right about the rest of the JLA. In fact, we can even see this in the comics, in that half of the members can't carry their own series!

Identity Crisis would be pretty cool, but what I'd really like to see is a Booster Gold movie! (stop snickering) The first arc of his latest series would work pretty well with a couple of adjustments, and it could trade off quite easily on the 'greatest hero you've never heard of' angle.
May 2009, saturday: Either Starman (Jack Knight) or Schwarzwald (Big O). Help me decide!
RobertoThe2nd

Next

Return to COMICS