What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Chat about Japanese Culture and anything that does not go into other sections

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby magicdragon on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:07 am

My parents think it's great :3 My dad came with me to the May expo and said it was 'great fun'. And now I'm about to start my cosplay for October, so it's the only thing I talk about (how much fabric will I need? How should I make the skirt puff out? etc), but they really don't mind <3 Though they don't actually help me D: !

My sister, on the other hand, thinks it's seriously weird :c
Cosplaying Hatsune Miku on saturday~
User avatar
magicdragon
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Yamidragon on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:47 pm

guess whos just been banned from expo next year because cosplay takes attention away from my "studies?"
october expo 2009
dark dragon armour
User avatar
Yamidragon
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby minnie_mouse on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:46 pm

My parents really don't know much about it!I just come home with a bag full of material and I tell my mum roughly how much it costs and only if she asks[I never tell them the exact price, like if it's £19.95 I'll say it was under £20 and I only tell them if they ask] My mum doesn't know much about Anime/or my liking for it, though she pays for my manga's :D
As for my dad I'm just tell him I'm going some where with my friends a week before hand and he knows nothing of the rest.

So basically they know as much as they need to and don't really care aslong as it's hassle free for them and I take my phone with me.
User avatar
minnie_mouse
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Sukai-yume on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Yamidragon wrote:guess whos just been banned from expo next year because cosplay takes attention away from my "studies?"


Holy cow, that must suck!!!
If it were me I would find a way to sneak up there anyway. "Yeah I'm.... totally going to the Natural History Museum... yup, thats it" ... and go change in the toilets. XD

Anyway my parents are pretty ok with it. I have my GCSE's this year but I've proved that I can scrape by all the exams in the past without having to so much as open a book so they don't really worry about that. [I don't think I've ever studied in my life]
My dad let me set up an Ebay account just to buy my cosplay this year so... I guess I'm pretty grateful for that. "As long as you're getting your moneys worth" they say. So I go in my sailor fuku cosplay up to camden and take part in other random cosplay related .. uh... things such as waterfights and sleepovers so they can see that the money isn't going to waste.
User avatar
Sukai-yume
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: London UK

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Yamidragon on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:21 pm

Sukai-yume wrote:
Yamidragon wrote:guess whos just been banned from expo next year because cosplay takes attention away from my "studies?"


Holy cow, that must suck!!!
If it were me I would find a way to sneak up there anyway. "Yeah I'm.... totally going to the Natural History Museum... yup, thats it" ... and go change in the toilets. XD


Now THAT is a plan!
october expo 2009
dark dragon armour
User avatar
Yamidragon
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Sweet Sakura on Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:02 pm

I think my parents think I'm a tad nuts, but they don't seem to be bothered :) Apart from when I have my wig on... I have this blonde wig that I'm wearing loads to try get used to having a fringe and I keep scaring my parents cos they think someone's broken into the house :mrgreen: But yeah, pretty much every day is a cosplay to me :)
Sweet Sakura
 

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Uber_sin on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:43 pm

My Mum's kinda interested with "oohs" and "ahhhs",

But my Dad tends to ignore it XD.
Unless I'm making a sword or something. Apparently sewing = disowned, but woodwork = family event ;-;.
Image
User avatar
Uber_sin
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby FreyaCrescent on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:42 am

My mum and dad don't actually mind. My mum made both mine and my sister's first few cosplays, so she was supportive from the start. My dad just treats it as a normal thing, because he knows that the two of us have always been geeks xD Pretty much our whole family knows that we cosplay and go to conventions, actually.

Oh, and my Grandad loves making swords and stuff for us, so he likes the fact we cosplay too xD
User avatar
FreyaCrescent
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:02 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Sakura-Haruno on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:59 pm

U-Uh, Kinda A Tough Question :D
My Dad Is Into *Sci-Fi* Star Trek (Cough, Gladly Enough It Doesn't Run In The Family :lol: ) But He Claims He Hate's Naruto Etc.. Apart From Death Note Because They Use Big Words :lol:
And My Mum Just Find's It Exspensive XD But Without Her, I Wouldn't Have A Cosplay Outfit XD
She Doesn't Understand It But, She's Happy I'm Intrested In Somthing Unique And Not Intrested In Drugs :lol: Her Words XD

Saturday Ruka Souen
Sunday Sakura


http://narutardx.deviantart.com/
User avatar
Sakura-Haruno
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:38 pm
Location: Weston-Super-Mare

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Treble Jinx on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Haha my parents think I'm a loser just for reading/watching anime and manga...I don't tell them I cosplay...although they wondered what I was doing when I dressed as L for a trip out into town as the cast of death note....although my hair was a bit wild.

....Still. They've been coming in to my room while I've been working on my Yuffie cosplay (which I've had a week to do X_x) and have done nothing more than raise their eyebrows XD

Jinx
User avatar
Treble Jinx
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Vampire_Ryosuke on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:56 am

They really don't approve. But I think they're getting used to it now XD;;;
Image
User avatar
Vampire_Ryosuke
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:15 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby CrimsonGaara on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:51 pm

Sakura-Haruno wrote:U-Uh, Kinda A Tough Question :D
My Dad Is Into *Sci-Fi* Star Trek (Cough, Gladly Enough It Doesn't Run In The Family :lol: ) But He Claims He Hate's Naruto Etc.. Apart From Death Note Because They Use Big Words :lol:
And My Mum Just Find's It Exspensive XD But Without Her, I Wouldn't Have A Cosplay Outfit XD
She Doesn't Understand It But, She's Happy I'm Intrested In Somthing Unique And Not Intrested In Drugs :lol: Her Words XD

Oh god, both my parents are into Star Trek. x_x
However, my mum likes D. N. Angel as Dark's good, and Krad's bad... they've twisted light and dark/good and bad around.
:?
I don't know, it's what she said.
My Dad is a little :roll: with me, but he deals with my Gaara cosplay.
:lol:
I guess it's good having laid back parents. 8)
User avatar
CrimsonGaara
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:42 am
Location: London, England

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Commander J on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:55 pm

CrimsonGaara wrote:
Sakura-Haruno wrote:U-Uh, Kinda A Tough Question :D
My Dad Is Into *Sci-Fi* Star Trek (Cough, Gladly Enough It Doesn't Run In The Family :lol: ) But He Claims He Hate's Naruto Etc.. Apart From Death Note Because They Use Big Words :lol:
And My Mum Just Find's It Exspensive XD But Without Her, I Wouldn't Have A Cosplay Outfit XD
She Doesn't Understand It But, She's Happy I'm Intrested In Somthing Unique And Not Intrested In Drugs :lol: Her Words XD

Oh god, both my parents are into Star Trek. x_x


Nothing is wrong with a good bit of Star Trek...

My parents don't give a care for it, as long as it keeps me busy they are fine.
Image
User avatar
Commander J
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Denny, Falkirk

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby CrimsonGaara on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Commander J wrote:
CrimsonGaara wrote:
Sakura-Haruno wrote:U-Uh, Kinda A Tough Question :D
My Dad Is Into *Sci-Fi* Star Trek (Cough, Gladly Enough It Doesn't Run In The Family :lol: ) But He Claims He Hate's Naruto Etc.. Apart From Death Note Because They Use Big Words :lol:
And My Mum Just Find's It Exspensive XD But Without Her, I Wouldn't Have A Cosplay Outfit XD
She Doesn't Understand It But, She's Happy I'm Intrested In Somthing Unique And Not Intrested In Drugs :lol: Her Words XD

Oh god, both my parents are into Star Trek. x_x


Nothing is wrong with a good bit of Star Trek...

My parents don't give a care for it, as long as it keeps me busy they are fine.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with Star Trek.
It's the obsessed parents that I'm 'oh god'ing at.
Because my Dad does tend to try getting me into it, when I have no interest for it.
User avatar
CrimsonGaara
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:42 am
Location: London, England

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Odd-One-Out on Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:29 pm

My parents are now indifferent to it ;D
Image
User avatar
Odd-One-Out
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:18 pm

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Shadowhunter72 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:46 am

surprisingly, my dad is now ok with it(however according to my brother, he keeps making comments about me going on about it all the time) ^^;
Image
User avatar
Shadowhunter72
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:28 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby alicedragon on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Hmm.
My Mum's Ok With It And So is My Dad. My Mum Even Helped Me Decide What Cosplay i Should Buy xD
User avatar
alicedragon
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Prize Gotti on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 pm

I don't cosplay but when my mum asked me what I was spending my money on, I told her I was buying Manga. Somehow she confused Manga with Weed and told me she was taking me to the Police.

My dad laughed his . off as he used to collect comics so he knew what Manga was.
User avatar
Prize Gotti
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:15 am

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby CrimsonGaara on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:57 am

alicedragon wrote:Hmm.
My Mum's Ok With It And So is My Dad. My Mum Even Helped Me Decide What Cosplay i Should Buy xD

Haha, sounds a lot like my mum.
When I bought my Gaara cosplay, she pointed out both Tenten and Sakura cosplay to me, and asked why I don't do them. :lol:
I just told her to get the Gaara one. ¬_¬
User avatar
CrimsonGaara
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:42 am
Location: London, England

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby sjbonnar on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:10 pm

While my parents still laugh at my costumes (which I'll admit still kinda hits home when you've spent MONTHS and hundreds of pounds on a costume) they began to shut up around the time I started winning competitions :-p LOL
Image
User avatar
sjbonnar
 
Posts: 3816
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby alicedragon on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:34 pm

CrimsonGaara wrote:
alicedragon wrote:Hmm.
My Mum's Ok With It And So is My Dad. My Mum Even Helped Me Decide What Cosplay i Should Buy xD

Haha, sounds a lot like my mum.
When I bought my Gaara cosplay, she pointed out both Tenten and Sakura cosplay to me, and asked why I don't do them. :lol:
I just told her to get the Gaara one. ¬_¬

xD!

My Mum Pointed Out A Few Too. One of Them Was Riza Hawkeye From FMA And Another One Was Yuna From FF.
There Not That Bad, Just Not The Sort Of People i'd Cosplay As.
User avatar
alicedragon
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby CrimsonGaara on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:21 pm

alicedragon wrote:
CrimsonGaara wrote:
alicedragon wrote:Hmm.
My Mum's Ok With It And So is My Dad. My Mum Even Helped Me Decide What Cosplay i Should Buy xD

Haha, sounds a lot like my mum.
When I bought my Gaara cosplay, she pointed out both Tenten and Sakura cosplay to me, and asked why I don't do them. :lol:
I just told her to get the Gaara one. ¬_¬

xD!

My Mum Pointed Out A Few Too. One of Them Was Riza Hawkeye From FMA And Another One Was Yuna From FF.
There Not That Bad, Just Not The Sort Of People i'd Cosplay As.

Same goes for Tenten and Sakura... >_<
User avatar
CrimsonGaara
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:42 am
Location: London, England

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Major Motoko on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:53 am

my mom says that cosplay is sad and an unhealthy obbsession but she still says that she glad i have an interest, just so long as i dont go to far, like cosplaying every day, or roleplaying in the street randomly.... tch.... like yeah right.... i wouldent go that far.... much.... he he
Image
User avatar
Major Motoko
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Closer than you think

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Freyarule on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:31 pm

My mum and dad just accept that I like to go dressed up like some wierd person :lol:
I mean, hey, if they pay for some of the stuff that means they're ok with it.......right? :shock:
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
User avatar
Freyarule
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Shhh...it's a secret.

Re: What do your parents think of cosplaying?

Postby Sparrow on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:40 pm

My mum says it's good since you need confidence to walk around with large swords and hair that defies the laws of gravity and what not.
....

It's gonna be so easy to persuade her to buy me the Vincent Valentine cosplay for next years Expo.
Endure & Survive
Sparrow
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 10:36 am
Location: All of time and space

PreviousNext

Return to JAPANESE CULTURE CHAT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests