World Record Attempt: The Gaming World Needs You!

This is where any guests attending the event are announced. Chat about anything to do with the event that does not fit into the other categories.

World Record Attempt: The Gaming World Needs You!

Postby Admin-2 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:26 am

Attention all gaming fans! To mark the launch of the UK’s biggest gaming extravaganza, the London Games Festival, a world record attempt to have the largest gathering of people dressed up as video game characters is occurring on 25 October at the London ExCel centre! Hosted on the opening day of the London MCM Expo, this is the ultimate chance to prove your gaming credentials and show the world how much of a fan you really are!

With the current record a measly 80 people, get out and buff your World of Warcraft armor, equip those Lara Croft dual pistols and brush that Guitar Hero mullet wig and get on down to the ExCel to strut your stuff and become a part of gaming history.

Date: 25 October 2008
Time: 12:30
On the stairs, outside the entrance of the ExCel Centre
MCM Expo, ExCeL London,
One Western Gateway,
Royal Victoria Dock, London. E16 1XL

Key Guidelines:
1. All participants must be wearing costumes representing characters from video games
2. Characters from other media such as films, television, books and comics are acceptable; however these must have featured in video games before any subsequent appearances in other media. For example: a. Sonic the Hedgehog first appeared in a video game in 1991, prior to subsequent television and comic book appearances; therefore Sonic qualifies for the attempt
b. Batman first featured as a comic book character in 1939, prior to his first appearance as a video game character in 1986; therefore Batman does not qualify.

Contacts:
Mark Dennis, London Games Festival
Tel: 020 7307 3129 / Mob: 07791 717 708
mdennis@cakegroup.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
Stephanie Moses, London Games Festival
Tel: 020 7307 3159 / Mob: 07791 717 790
Stephanie@cakegroup.com
London MCM Expo - Admin~2
Admin-2
Site Admin

Re: World Record Attempt: The Gaming World Needs You!

Postby vampire-san on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 am

I knew I heard someting about this. As me doing Naruto is a video game for xbox 360 could I be involved?

Also you broke you own rules someone told e that World Of warcraft was first a book.
vampire-san

Postby sjbonnar on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:51 am

vampire-san wrote:I knew I heard someting about this. As me doing Naruto is a video game for xbox 360 could I be involved?

Key Guidelines:
1. All participants must be wearing costumes representing characters from video games
2. Characters from other media such as films, television, books and comics are acceptable; however these must have featured in video games before any subsequent appearances in other media. For example: a. Sonic the Hedgehog first appeared in a video game in 1991, prior to subsequent television and comic book appearances; therefore Sonic qualifies for the attempt
b. Batman first featured as a comic book character in 1939, prior to his first appearance as a video game character in 1986; therefore Batman does not qualify.

Naruto was in a manga before anything else. So no.

I'm annoyed this has been announced so late again. This happened last year and I wasn't aware of it until my cosplays were too rooted to change :-\ Stupid Guiness...
sjbonnar

Postby vampire-san on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:52 am

get out and buff your World of Warcraft armor

Yeah but world of warcraft was a book first and that's up there.
vampire-san

Postby 12midnite21 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:27 am

SICK! what do we actually have to do? i'm going as Sun ce from DW =] do we just need to be there or do we need to do something? ^^ oooh excited even more now!!!

YOOUUUU!!!!!
12midnite21

Postby Redtogusa on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am

vampire-san wrote:

Really? I thought it was a strategy game (RTS) first, then the books/other media, then an MMO.
Do you guys reckon there will be 81plus games related cosplayers there even? I hope there are, it would be awesome to break the record.
Redtogusa

Postby Commander J on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:32 am

vampire-san wrote:

I'm sorry where are you getting this tripe from? World of Warcraft was based off the RTS game WARCRAFT and the World of Warcraft manga and comic series came out AFTER the games release.
Commander J

Postby Admin-2 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:58 am

Lets not get stuck on WOW as stated it was a game first so lets be happy. If you have a costume and want to check please post here and we will check for you.

You will only need to be in your game costume for 15 mins for the record attempt see story for time.

But what comes to mind is Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warriors, Mario, Laura Croft, Halo, Prince of Persia, Street Fighter, Hitman, any others?
London MCM Expo - Admin~2
Admin-2
Site Admin

Postby MissColzyChan on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:11 pm

WOOT ^_^
Im part of the Final Fantasy group which is quite big ^_^ ive just let em all know in our like thread thing so hopefully final fantasy characters will be there woo! this is so awesome!! xDD
MissColzyChan

Postby Tonyo on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:38 pm

Dang.. this sounds so cool... I'm cosplaying as Santa but now I might change that idea for this? My first ever memory was holding a game pad, I'm a gaming veteran, it'd be criminal if I didn't join in. How to get a costume in this short space of time though? Gah! Good idea though, like it. :)
Tonyo

Postby Arnavel on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:01 pm

sounds great, if i was doing dante on saturday instead, and as the bleach group starts an hour before it, unlikely ill go back to hotel and get changed for it.
Saturday: Toshiro Hitsugaya
Ball: Miles Edgeworth
Sunday: Dante (DMC4)
Arnavel

Postby Mtani on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Sounds awesome! :D And the current Zelda group is already about 40 people, give or take. So if all of those who are listed there show up, we'd already be halfway there XD
Mtani

Postby sunny1r on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Will be great to see that!Although I was wondering if their could be an additional Record for "largest number of people doing a carramalldansen at one time" as their is already around 90 people signed up to do it on the day.

In this thread is the set-up for it http://www.mcmexpogroup.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=195&t=8463&start=0.

If not then its fine, just a general idea i had.
sunny1r

Postby CrystalNeko on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:52 pm

I really wanna join in! >_<
I am so tempted to rewear my Yuna Mascot/Moogle or Garnet cosplay, I shall have to flip a coin to decide which one xD
CrystalNeko

Postby Shadowhunter72 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:54 pm

I'd really like to take part, i'm going as Human Tails, im sure that'd count, since he was in Sonic, which is eligible for it ^^;
Shadowhunter72

Postby TurkFox on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm staying in a hotel really close by, I think I'd be able to go back and change into Hayner for this... *ponders*
TurkFox

Postby Shirou-fangirl on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Are people going to film it or watch it allowed? XD

DIID you know...that the characters (or most of it) in Dynasty Warriors is actually real people in ancient china during the three kingdoms era? Just a random fact :p

Ohh last time at the world record last time there were people doing the Hare Hare Yukai xD Anyone gonna do that this time?
Shirou-fangirl

Postby Shadowhunter72 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:32 pm

It'll most likley be recorded by the similar ones that did last time.....i dunno, as this is my first time doing something like this xD
Shadowhunter72

Postby Giant-Lenin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:41 pm

Oh my god! I can't wait! So glad i picked a game character! finally paid off! :lol: have to get all of the MGS characters in there
Sat October 09- Devona (Guild Wars) along with Eve and Cynn.
Giant-Lenin

Postby Losername on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:03 pm

This is a great idea. I have to see this.
Losername

Postby Leonie Heartilly on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Awesome I remember wishing the last attempt wasn't held at such a awkward day/time. Expo is the perfect place to get as many people.

My Rinoa will be part of a new record yay =D
Leonie Heartilly

Postby restlesswarrior on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 pm

I'll be there, thing is your realise after the Guiness photo has been taken, you gonna spend the rest of the afternoon speaking & photographing everyone as we will all be cosplaying as your favourite computer game characters!
It'll be great!
only dead fish go with the flow...
restlesswarrior

Postby Arkayen on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:53 am

I'll join in ^_^ I did try sort this last time BUT lack of interest so I hope officially it'll get the support it needs. I'll be there as Ibuki from SF3 prolly :D if not as Pleinair from Disgaea. I do have some gaming outfits I could lend for the event in a size 12-14 if anyone wants to join in. I heard this was smashed but the hundreds in America tho - was that a crock? :shock:
MCM Expo Message Board Moderator

Arkayen
Board Moderator

Postby eburne on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:20 am

Can i join. Jaden yuki- Yugioh GX
eburne

Postby RobertoThe2nd on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:16 pm

I've spread the message to the Phoenix Wright group, but there hasn't been any response yet. >.<
That said, you'll at least have a Diego Armando and Mia Fey to help out.
May 2009, saturday: Either Starman (Jack Knight) or Schwarzwald (Big O). Help me decide!
RobertoThe2nd

Next

Return to GENERAL LONDON MCM EXPO EVENT CHAT - OCTOBER 2008